This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-10-2012 12:53:09 AM

moo92
Miki Molester

Does anyone call Saionji by his first name?!

I just realize today that Saionji is his last name. His first name is Kyouichi and I can't recall any character calling him that, not even Touga! So thoughts? emot-confused

https://68.media.tumblr.com/e2f1ea1a26343f1419a337b8b075fbd0/tumblr_ou0nssB9Uh1qirhlao1_400.png

#2 | Back to Top12-10-2012 12:54:20 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Re: Does anyone call Saionji by his first name?!

Nanami calls him Kyoichi in the first episode of the Akio arc.

#3 | Back to Top12-10-2012 01:10:44 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

^This is true, but one should take notice at the fact that out of all the possibles, Nanami is the only character in the series to address him as such.

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#4 | Back to Top12-10-2012 01:42:15 AM

moo92
Miki Molester

^Yeah! You would think Touga would be the one to call him by his first name since they are "best friends" but no. Its Nanami who does. Not even Anthy calls him by his first name when she was engaged to him. Thats just strange and kinda sad. ._.;

Last edited by moo92 (12-10-2012 01:43:34 AM)

https://68.media.tumblr.com/e2f1ea1a26343f1419a337b8b075fbd0/tumblr_ou0nssB9Uh1qirhlao1_400.png

#5 | Back to Top12-10-2012 07:58:29 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Well, it makes sense that Nanami is familiar with him, since she's probably known him almost her whole life.

It's telling that Touga doesn't though. emot-frown Not that we didn't already know their friendship is less than perfect.

#6 | Back to Top12-10-2012 05:56:59 PM

Elin I.
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

It's traditional to call kendo practitioners by their family name. Saionji is both a kendo practitioner and pretty traditional, so I don't find it odd at all that Touga calls him "Saionji" - in other anime I've seen the girlfriends of kendouka refer to them by their family names. I don't know if it's weird or not that Nanami uses his given name; it doesn't come across as odd to me, just ... like she's being familiar with him. Talking to him as a person, rather than just another council member. I don't know enough about Japanese culture to tell if she's being too familiar given the context, though.

Tell me no more stories and I'll tell you no lies / No-one wants to hurt me but everybody tries / And if you think that I've been waiting for my planets to align / It's time you go on, get your things, get out, get out / I'm doing fine
--Emilie Autumn, "Rose Red"

#7 | Back to Top12-10-2012 05:59:04 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Saionji's a name of the nobility, isn't it? Makes sense he'd want everyone to call him that.

#8 | Back to Top12-11-2012 04:54:33 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Short answer: who cares, boy's a DV wanker.

Slightly longer answer: I think it's a case where good manners is used to cover up a serious social lack of respect. Saionji is the type to think that good manners- using polite forms of address- is the same as being held in good regard. He'd insist on it without realising that the very people who should be closest to him are using the formal address because they don't care enough for him as a friend, as opposed to them feeling comfortable enough to address him by his first name. He'd be so puffed up on his own hot air ego to insist on being called -san and -sama, and completely miss the eye rolls and the slow migration towards the exit. He reminds me very much of a high school 'friend' of mine, who'd start a fight over how offensive and disrespectful you were being when you disagreed with her about the weather. (And she wondered why no one was game to talk to her...) Basically, a terribly fragile ego and an utter lack of social skills and respect for others, throwing tantrums when someone bowed two centimetres too shallow.

I have noticed this before and I'd always put it down to this. I suspect that this is something a native Japanese speaker would be able to notice very quickly.

Board footer