This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top10-29-2007 06:14:24 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Re: The All-Encompassing Sailor Moon Thread

I agree, the whole Endymion/Black Lady thing is probably one of the creepiest incest scenes ever to grace the world of anime. Parent/child incest seems to be a lot more cringe inducing than between siblings.

#52 | Back to Top10-29-2007 06:24:21 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'm with you there... it completely upsets the balance of something that's otherwise, I don't know, acceptable in fandom?

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#53 | Back to Top10-29-2007 07:11:35 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Ahh! SAILOR MOON!!!

I remember those years, ahh the old Toonami even the second version of Toonami. I always had to watch Sailor Moon and Reboot. You know the sad thing is, now that I have money to buy box sets . . . it's pretty damn hard to find the series of Sailor Moon.

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#54 | Back to Top10-29-2007 07:20:00 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Sevelle wrote:

You know the sad thing is, now that I have money to buy box sets . . . it's pretty damn hard to find the series of Sailor Moon.

That would be because the license ran out, and so the DVDs from ADV (First season and R) and Geneon (S, SuperS, and the three movies) are OOP.  Pile on to this that Geneon no longer exists as a distributor, and it's a pile of bad news for R1 Sailor Moon fans who didn't get the DVDs when they were available.  Even the manga license Tokyopop had expired long ago.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Naoko Takeuchi and/or Toei have locked down the license of Sailor Moon (outside of Japan, I presume), so who knows if or when it will ever be re-released...

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (10-29-2007 07:21:54 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#55 | Back to Top10-29-2007 07:23:27 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

That's a damn shame. They should stage a comeback.

#56 | Back to Top10-29-2007 07:27:13 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Tokyopop stated at ComiCon 2006 (or it might have been Anime Expo 2006) that they would like to relicense the manga.  I'm assuming that any licensing company would love to get their hands on the anime, if they could for a reasonable price.  They could milk it just like ADV milks Eva, Funimation milks DBZ, and Bandai Entertainment milks Cowboy Bebop.  It's well known in the mainstream, and is quite the favorite of little kids even today.  Not to mention the teens and adults. emot-keke

Last edited by Cerise (10-29-2007 07:27:31 PM)

#57 | Back to Top10-29-2007 07:28:52 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'd be interested in a redub that actually kept the spirit of the original series, but I doubt that will ever happen.

#58 | Back to Top10-29-2007 07:33:27 PM

Mylene

I have never seen the dubs of S or SuperS, but I know I'd be sad if they redid any of the series without Susan Roman as "Lita."  Maybe I'm just not remembering it all that clearly, or I've got rose tinted glasses when it comes to my favorite character, but I do believe I thought she did a good job with her slightly gravelly voice, etc.

Not that it matters, sub elitist here! school-devil

#59 | Back to Top10-29-2007 07:38:39 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I don't remember who did what voice, but I do agree with you on the casting of "Lita." It's less the quality of the voice acting for me, which wasn't bad really, and more the fact that they completely changed the show's spirit.

#60 | Back to Top10-29-2007 07:50:30 PM

Mylene

I just remember that Susan Roman did Lita and Terri Hawkes was Serena for most of classic and R.  Now if it were listing the seiyuu for the Japanese version, I can rattle most of them off without thinking.  But then again, I have a bizarre obsession with Hisakawa Aya...

#61 | Back to Top10-29-2007 07:52:34 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I saw bits and pieces of the S and SuperS dub. Lita still has the same voice. It's everyone else that got messed with.

Now I do know a site that has a text-only translation of the manga, but that's about it.

And it never even occurred to me that Geneon's distro problems were going to mess that up. TokyoPop had a dubbing company many moons ago, they had the original license for Vampire Princess Miyu. I wouldn't mind if they did it...if they didn't mess with it too much. I wouldn't want ADV to do a dub of it, though. Their voices for Wedding Peach make my skin crawl.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#62 | Back to Top10-29-2007 10:59:48 PM

Lissa
Miki Molester
Website

Aaah, ya gotta love incestuous cousins! Because, of course, it's much better to have relatives sleeping with each other than to just have two lesbians.

I'm ticked that I didn't get the entire S season! I got the first two discs. That is my favorite season out of the four dubbed ones. I've yet to see StarS, though. (I do own the whole manga series.)

Out of all the dub voices, Amara/Haruka's voice is my favorite. It's sort of androgenous...the first thing I thought when I heard it is, "Yup, she sounds like she should be playing left wing for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Perfect!" As far as her name goes? I think they should have went with Erica. Not only would it have worked with the meaning of her name (Erika is the female version of Erik, which means ruler...works with her meaning! emot-biggrin) However, Amara works better, as far as trying to get the name to "look" right with the mouth movement.

And you gotta love that any of the male villians who looked and acted feminine were instantly female. I don't have a favorite villian...but I loved Zoi's laugh in the dub.

Icon from Kawaii Not

#63 | Back to Top10-30-2007 03:52:00 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Sevelle wrote:

You know the sad thing is, now that I have money to buy box sets . . . it's pretty damn hard to find the series of Sailor Moon.

That would be because the license ran out, and so the DVDs from ADV (First season and R) and Geneon (S, SuperS, and the three movies) are OOP.  Pile on to this that Geneon no longer exists as a distributor, and it's a pile of bad news for R1 Sailor Moon fans who didn't get the DVDs when they were available.  Even the manga license Tokyopop had expired long ago.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Naoko Takeuchi and/or Toei have locked down the license of Sailor Moon (outside of Japan, I presume), so who knows if or when it will ever be re-released...

I knew that, hello. It ran out when I was a Junior in High School.

EDIT: Oh and I have the STARS season, I wonder if they still do the Japanese version of Sailor Moon . . . hmmm . . . yes . . .

Last edited by Sevelle (10-30-2007 03:54:39 PM)

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#64 | Back to Top10-30-2007 07:39:53 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Sevelle wrote:

I knew that, hello. It ran out when I was a Junior in High School.

I didn't know you knew.  I was just trying to provide some helpful information just in case.  At any rate, Shattered learned something new from it.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#65 | Back to Top10-30-2007 11:27:24 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Yes, he did. Shattered was never an enormous fan of the pretty soldiers, but he does appreciate them for being his introduction to anime eye candy.

#66 | Back to Top10-31-2007 06:10:18 AM

Mylene

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Yes, he did. Shattered was never an enormous fan of the pretty soldiers, but he does appreciate them for being his introduction to anime eye candy.

They're "the boom anime babes that make you think the wrong thing?"

You really never know when or where you might find some of the singles or boxsets of BSSM.  I've known one person who stumbled across the ADV boxset for Classic, like-new condition, for $20 at a pawn shop.  I occasionally come across the movies in non-anime focused comic book stores (and from now on, I might start buying them--have an extra set and to sell/give away.)  I really wish the series could get relicensed.  I know during a recent poll at ANN, Toei had asked them to poll about what series people would like to see available for digital download (unfortunately, there was no option to say you wanted a DVD release) and Sailor Moon 'won' by a huge margin.  Unfortunately, I can't find the results on the Poll page anymore, and I'm too lazy to dig around currently. emot-tongue

#67 | Back to Top10-31-2007 06:17:44 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Cerise wrote:

I know during a recent poll at ANN, Toei had asked them to poll about what series people would like to see available for digital download (unfortunately, there was no option to say you wanted a DVD release) and Sailor Moon 'won' by a huge margin.  Unfortunately, I can't find the results on the Poll page anymore, and I'm too lazy to dig around currently. emot-tongue

Here's the poll.

#68 | Back to Top11-01-2007 11:49:32 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

That really is a high margin.

Oh, and Pink Sugar Heart Attack ftw.

#69 | Back to Top11-02-2007 12:47:43 AM

Red Angel
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

...Everything this week has been making me wanna see Sailor Moon again. You guys aren't helping. emot-mad etc-love

We saw part of one of the musicals this week, but it did not satisfy my need. emot-frown I now know that I love the song Pinky Typhoon though.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/cherry_whispers/signature.jpg

#70 | Back to Top11-02-2007 04:11:48 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Oh, and Pink Sugar Heart Attack ftw.

How can that attack be so lame and so awesome all at the same time? It doesn't work half the time, and when it does it just makes the bad guys go "Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow."  emot-rofl emot-rofl

#71 | Back to Top11-02-2007 04:17:19 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I'm rewatching it now. It's kind of annoying how I half-remember everything before it's going to happen.

Jedite got run over by a plane. Is it bad that I laughed at that?

#72 | Back to Top11-02-2007 10:35:37 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I loved it when Jadeite got run over by a plane. I thought Zoicite's death scene was the most romantic and sad, the way he died in Kunzite's arms...

I'm rewatching it too. I'm on S right now, hence my amusement with Pink Sugar Heart Attack... and the senshi laughing at the fact that Usagi never really changes, even after becoming Neo Queen Serenity she's kind of an airhead (no kanji in her note!).

#73 | Back to Top11-02-2007 10:57:22 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

If watching Zoisite die made you cry, wait until you get to the last 4 episodes of Stars. I started episode 197 at least twice, but couldn't get past the first 10 minutes. That's the one where Usagi finds out that Mamoru's dead, and then the Inner Senshi all die(again). Then you cry some more during episode 198 when Uranus and Neptune kill Saturn and Pluto, and then they die when they turn on Galaxia. But I haven't watched that one yet, either.

#74 | Back to Top11-02-2007 11:16:23 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Maybe I'll get through it because hard-hearted punk that I am, nothing makes me cry. emot-tongue

#75 | Back to Top11-03-2007 07:49:27 AM

Mylene

Ooo...198 just about killed me.  That scene between the two lovers...damn...
Actually, I think I started sobbing somewhere in episode 196 and didn't stop until a few days after 200 (I think we watched all of those in 1 day).  BSSM has the most perfect ending ever.  So fulfilling, and yet so open for all the fans to have their fantasies about their futures.

Paradox and I need to start back up our rewatch.  We have one episode in R (the recap) to go before moving onto S.  I'm hoping if we take long enough, the group(s) that is redoing Stars will be finished by the time we get there, because the old VKLL rips are just painful.

Board footer