This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top11-04-2010 01:43:47 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

Re: 10 Questions For Utena Fans

satyre, I nearly died of laughing. emot-rofl

Now it seems we have another IRG joke: Saionji's obsession with waffles!

Last edited by Tenjou_sailorsaturn (11-04-2010 01:44:50 AM)

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#27 | Back to Top11-04-2010 02:25:00 PM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

O_O I just noticed that in this shot Sai seems to have channeled Touga's translucent hair technique!

Apparently movie!Sai is capable of causing this event through his sheer anger... *tries to resist his urge to make references to The Hulk*

*realizes his failure*

*dies of laughter*

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#28 | Back to Top11-04-2010 10:39:30 PM

Absolute Apocalypse
Saionji Slapper

1. Why did you start reading/watching Revolutionary Girl Utena?

Nostalgia for old anime series.

With the exception of Death Note, I think most nowaday animes are pretty lame and have more or less the same style and feel.... or perhaps im just getting old. I dunno.

This is just my personal opinion so take no offense.

2. Which character would you have sex with and why?

All of the cast except for the underage ones (the ones that didn't fake their birth certificates). Don't wanna get in problems with Chris Hansen.

And because... why not?

3.Your favorite pairing and why!

Utena+Anthy is an obvious one, so I choose Wakaba+Chuchu just to make things interesting.

4. If someone offered you a video tape of your favorite pairing doing romantic things (sex, fluff, whatever) what would you do to get it?

As it is, I'd rather investigate what kind of animal a Chuchu is supposed to be first.

5. What would you do if you found yourself magically whisked away to the universe of Ohtori Academy?

Try to get into The Real Student Council to promote reforms to change those horrible uniforms!

6. What song do you think fits your favorite character/pairing?

Since this is a special occasion... anything by Scatman or Weird Al Yankovic.

7. What would your dueling rose color be, and why?

Red. All those rare and unexistant kawaii japanese rose colors make me feel uncomfortable.

8. Are you a prince, a duelist, or a rose bride? (Interpret this question any way you want.)

Wow, this is a hard question. Can't I be a male witch? summoning exotic animals out of nowhere would be a pretty cool trick at parties.

9. Is there any situation in RGU that is similar to something you might have experienced?

The Ruka, Juri and Shiori episode. I feel somewhat identified with Ruka.

Why? Because I once felt in love with a lesbian girl. Im serious. It feels horrible, not only because she wasn't interested in me, but also because I knew that even if I tried, she would never notice me because she simply didn't like dudes.

But I got over it, so its ok. The past is the past.

10. Do you think waffles will make Saiyonji smile? etc-saiowank

Only if Touga asks him to go for another peaceful and shirtless bike ride right after that.

Also, eggs. Lots of Chuchu eggs.

"Challenging the sword of dios with a simple bamboo practice sword?" etc-saiowank

Always do things the saionji way.

#29 | Back to Top11-05-2010 03:53:43 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Because I was a pretty big anime fan and like food, the stranger the box, the more crazy it is, and the less likely anyone else is to eat it, the more I have to try it.

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/10544-2/Series_ep25_250.jpg
Because he'd eat me alive. etc-wankgirl

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/10540-2/Series_ep25_248.jpg
Because we'd eat incredibly expensive delicious food, then each other. etc-wankgirl

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/8068-1/Series_ep19_190.jpg
Because I'd eat him alive. school-devil

Probably Saionji and Wakaba. They really do fit together so agonizingly well. Also Akio and Touga, but that's not a romantic pairing, obviously. Just lots of great sex and torment.

4. If someone offered you a video tape of your favorite pairing doing romantic things (sex, fluff, whatever) what would you do to get it?

Probably not much, since Saionji and Wakaba probably spend all day cuddling and eating cookie dough.

5. What would you do if you found yourself magically whisked away to the universe of Ohtori Academy?

Same thing I always do in school. Suck up to the administration.

You know, I rarely think about these things. I guess because I don't listen to much music unless I'm trying not to fall asleep in the car.

Red is already spoken for. As is purple. And black is a whole arc. So I'm kinda fucked there unless I kill Touga and claim his color. In which case, red. I'm also a big fan of wine tone reds, but joking about killing Shiori probably isn't safe 'round these parts. emot-wink

8. Are you a prince, a duelist, or a rose bride? (Interpret this question any way you want.)

A duelist. I want too much to be a prince, and I'm not not submissive enough to be a bride.

9. Is there any situation in RGU that is similar to something you might have experienced?

I spent most of my early life as the Saionji to my best friend's Touga.

10. Do you think waffles will make Saiyonji smile?

Chocolate chip waffles. etc-saiowank

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#30 | Back to Top11-05-2010 10:51:49 AM

CoffinBreaker
Rose Bride

To Absolute Apocalypse:

(My answer to #9 was similar, but it was more of an "unrequited love cuz she liked someone else who didn't like her back" situation...)

Don't feel bad about it, most of us dykes don't actually hate guys- well, at least I don't emot-keke I've had basically the exact same thing with straight girls.

You don't need to understand Revolutionary Girl Utena to understand it.

#31 | Back to Top11-05-2010 11:17:22 AM

tremblinglight
New Student
Website

1. It looked really, really weird. I figured at the very least I'd be treated to a fantasy world where interesting things happen for no reason, which is good enough for me... But, what I got was far better...

2. Probably Anthy... Particularly Movie Anthy.

3. Utena/Anthy and Utena/Mikage... The first just because they compliment each other so well, and the second because the implications amuse me.

4. lol I'd pay for it.

5. I'd probably play along with the whole game for fun until things became too uncomfortably sexual, at which point I would run for my life... I'd spend most of my time wandering around admiring the architecture.

6. That's a difficult question... To label any of the characters with just one song is to do them a disservice, I'd say.

7. Probably white or blue.

8. Honestly, I have played all three roles at different times in my life. Right now I'd call myself a duelist. I have a lot of people and things in my life that are worth fighting for, but in some ways I am currently lacking the pure-hearted motives of the prince.

9. I've been through (non-sexual) Utena/Anthy-type situations before, sadly, and there have been a couple of older guys in my life who could have become Akios if I had been more naive.

10. Yes, I do! lol

#32 | Back to Top11-05-2010 02:32:45 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

...satyr, the only way that picture could have been more epic is if you'd happened to have a picture of those CREPES OF DOOOOOOOOOM to put there. emot-rofl

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#33 | Back to Top11-05-2010 02:47:19 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

"A doom crepe?"

"Yeah!  A doooom crepe!"

It seems like most of us are duelists!  It's amazing we all get along so well emot-smile

#34 | Back to Top11-05-2010 04:55:14 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

WE ARE DUELLISTS OF LOVE. AND DOOM. ...well, DOOM CREPES, but same dif. etc-saiowank

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#35 | Back to Top11-05-2010 06:37:34 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

The MF CREPES! etc-love etc-love etc-love

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#36 | Back to Top11-05-2010 06:37:55 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

AMV Hell 3 (which also introduced me to Azumanga Daioh and a bunch of other great shows)

Utena. Girls in boy's uniforms are hot.

JurixUtena. The fountain scene ended way too soon.

I'd look for it on BitTorrent.

Join the fencing club. Hit on Juri. Get rejected. Swallow sadness.

Tempted by Collide

Purple or black, my favorites

A duelist. I'm not idealistic enough to be a prince, but I handle a sword OK.

I once dated a demure Indian girl who turned out to be a passive-aggressive backstabbing witch.

No, like everything else he eats, they taste like the bitterness of failure.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#37 | Back to Top11-05-2010 06:47:56 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

purplepolecat wrote:

Join the fencing club. Hit on Juri. Get rejected. Swallow sadness.

If it makes you feel any better, in Ohtori it's probably entirely possible to also meet a giant fish and fuck his brains out. I mean, he won't be Juri, sure, but...maybe he'll pretend for you?

Also, BRV -- I have just one thing to say to you.

OH!

etc-saiowanketc-saiowanketc-saiowank

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#38 | Back to Top11-05-2010 08:45:28 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Because I read the essays first and found the idea very interesting.

Shiori could begood GF material if she could get over feelings of inferiority over Juri and Kozue cos it would be as awesome as sex with Akio but without the gayness factor.

Chu-Chu + Cake, the one true pairing. etc-lovepoptart

Not a lot, watching Chu-Chu eat would get boring very quickly.

Avoid Madam Lamer as much as possible.

Popcorn.

Navy Blue with Golden edges cos its awesomely impossible

Duellist cos I'm no Prince and I'm not submissive enough to be a Bride

I did some Kendo.

10. Do you think waffles will make Saionji smile?
Only if they were salted with Touga's bitter tears.

Last edited by Tamago (11-05-2010 08:48:03 PM)

#39 | Back to Top11-05-2010 09:09:18 PM

The_A_Man
Someday Shiner
Website

Well I watched the first episode of the abridged series on youtube and wondered what the show was, so I watched it.

Utena because she's a strong, but naive girl.
Anthy because she's submissive yet mysterious.

Utena/Anthy because I'm a yuri fan and my favorite types of pairings are masculine girls paired up with a feminine girl.

Beg for it and not stop until I got it.

Steal a sword.

I Kissed a Girl because they kiss in the movie. (And like it emot-wink)

I'll pick navy blue just because I like it.

Can I say I'm both a prince and a duelist?

My life isn't really that weird, but I guess all the gender stuff.

Does anything make him smile?

#40 | Back to Top11-06-2010 07:25:18 AM

Android raptor
Rose Smilee
Website

It's a good friend of mine's favorite anime, so watching it was pretty much inevitable.

WHY MUST KOZUE BE JAILBAIT?!emot-gonk

Akio/MikageNemuro; personal reasons etc-wankdude

I can live with one kidney, right?

Find MikageNemuro and give him a hug. He needs it emot-frown

"Corrupt" by Depeche Mode fits well enough methinks etc-love

Some kind of seizure-inducing neon color, because I tend to be a very special snowflake.

All three can be argued to fit at different times, though I strive to be a prince the most since I have a huge drive to make some kind of good impact on the world in my life. It just feels like something I need to do, and there's so much that needs to be done.

I relate significantly to Wakaba, and to Utena, Nemuro, and Shiori to lesser extents. Interpret that as you see fit.

If Toug...er, Anthy made them naked in the kitchen, of course! school-eng101

Last edited by Android raptor (11-06-2010 07:27:22 AM)

#41 | Back to Top11-06-2010 08:30:30 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

Clarice wrote:

OH!

OH OH OH!

poptart poptart poptart

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#42 | Back to Top11-07-2010 01:55:13 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

BlackRoseVixen wrote:

Clarice wrote:

OH!

OH OH OH!

poptart poptart poptart

Gonna get'em hot, show'em what I got!

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#43 | Back to Top11-07-2010 02:25:12 AM

Absolute Apocalypse
Saionji Slapper

CoffinBreaker wrote:

To Absolute Apocalypse:

(My answer to #9 was similar, but it was more of an "unrequited love cuz she liked someone else who didn't like her back" situation...)

Don't feel bad about it, most of us dykes don't actually hate guys- well, at least I don't emot-keke I've had basically the exact same thing with straight girls.

Oh don't get me wrong.

I wasn't saying that she was a manhater or something like that, -she had plenty of male friends including me-. What I was saying is that she was irremediably attracted to other women... therefore, my thing for her was not only an unrequited love, but an IMPOSSIBLE love. That's why it felt so horrible. emot-gonk

But thanks for your condolences. That happened more than 4 years ago so im ok now.

"Challenging the sword of dios with a simple bamboo practice sword?" etc-saiowank

Always do things the saionji way.

#44 | Back to Top11-08-2010 03:34:27 AM

Randamonian
Rose Bride

AMV hell. Akio basically. He just looked so facinating. Also I wanted to check out older anime and thought this might be a rare jewel of a series.

Eh!? None. Eh... Oh, What are you saying?!

Nanami and Mitsuuru I guess. On the whole I don't really have one. For some reason this show doesn't make me think of cute couples. But that one seems the most innocent and honest. At least on Mistsuuru's side.

Burn it before the police showed up. Also, it's none of my business, I wouldn't care anyway. What?

Get lost in the architecture, be in love with the rose garden and stare at good looking boys, but pretend not to. Seriously, that's what I did in High School, I hardly think things have changed.

My Oh My by Aqua. The lines: Little princess in a terrible mess.... dreams of a prince on a tall white horse, runs like a spirit by the castle walls .....
gotta steal from the rich when they don't know im coming, gotta give to the poor, no time for lovin, My oh my don't you cry, there's no way i'm fadin, I believe, say my bye, I'm going my way.....
Prince oh prince are you really sincere, like you one day im gonna disappear

Makes me think of Utena, Dios and Akio

Black because I'd most likely be a black rose duelist. I have no burning ambition and would only have enough energy to get through one episode. Also, I can imagine fading into the background afterwards.

8. Are you a prince, a duelist, or a rose bride?
I'm not enough of a exception to make it to prince level, but I would be happy to be a strong noble fighter in my own right. So I'd most likely be a duelist. But as a girl[careful what you say], I would almost expect any guy I was with to protect me and that way, I'm more likely to be a princess. So Duelist on my own or Princess with a Prince.

Feeling seperated from my brothers when I hold strong affection for them. I have anger towards a girl who my brother dates because she's no good for him, but like Nanami, I wouldn't get involved directly or get my hands dirty with it. So I seeth in the corner.
Also Saionji's feelings of loneliness at having friends drift away or who seem distant.
Like Juri I wish people understood me without explaination. It feels concieted to say 'No one understand me' but in general I don't fit in. It feels like a miracle to find someone who seems to cut through all that with merely a knowing smile. 

Not if I made them.

Wow, these questions take a long time to answer

#45 | Back to Top11-09-2010 04:33:14 AM

Cyrias
Tenjou Tilter

My answer: Because my Church friend Judy recommended it to me, though it was another 8 years till I watched it

My answer: Uuuuummmm... er... Utena strangely enough emot-tongue

My answer: Utena/Anthy, because their friedship is pure and platonic and they try not to betray each other till the end and they're a gender-subversion of prince/princess

My answer: Cheer on my favourite couple while eating iceblock school-eng101

My answer: Find myself in the Dueling arena and being stabbed by Shiori for trying to enter the duel. That or try Anthy's curry soup and switch bodies with the nearest person... OR Have a ride in Akio's PIMPING car! VROOOOM~ school-devil

My answer: 'What took you so long' by Emma Bunton

My answer: Violet, because I'm melancholy and of royal blood (I wish) and spiritual emot-tongue

My answer: A duelist, because I am DETERMINED, but a Rose bride because I'm meek.

Being naive like Utena and being manipulated by others. Friendship is paramount according to me, so having close friends is familiar

No. Because he is like the Mona-Lisa and his smile is MYSTERIOUS and non waffly etc-love
My answer: Well, they make me smile!

In lumine tuo, videbimus amor ('In your light, we shall love') Slippy slippery mambo~ everyone at Ohtori is in some kind of spiritual land, created by Goddess Anthy and her brother Akio?!

#46 | Back to Top11-09-2010 05:39:52 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

As usual late to the party u__u

Well a long time ago I was a fan of the strong women archetype! While reading over several anime and manga magazines I kept coming across Revolutionary Girl Utena... Though I was enthralled with the summaries, I wasn't able to read it until ninth grade... and bought the last 3 graphic novels summer of  2004

Well... for sexy reasons Akio, Juri, Anthy (hair-down mature Anthy), Touga, and Ruka. For other reasons, Juri because I feel like I would want to save her, Shiori because I want her to feel pain school-devil

The OTP is Juori, so suck it emot-mad ...j/k I'm actually a bigger fan of Juri and Ruka...surprise!

not much, those things are much more enjoyable in my imagination emot-wink

Have tea with the chairman... Before and after the shagging

She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5

Indigo...because indigo is awesome >__>

...I'm Dios-present..... Since Dios is Dios-Past and Akio is Dios-Future.
I think the right answer for me is all three to be honest. I've played these roles at various times

Kozue's interaction in the adult world is somewhat similar to mine when I was younger (her age in fact)

10. Do you think waffles will make Saiyonji smile? etc- etc-saiowank

Perhaps. I believe Saionji is only good at smirking derisively at those lower than him

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#47 | Back to Top11-10-2010 07:55:08 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Back in 1999, I had a friend who was doing fansub distribution on VHS, and he liked taking me back to his place and randomly picking anime for me to watch with very little input from me. The rest is history.

Akio, I wouldn't really get much choice in the matter because he rolls natural 20s on Spot Virgin checks, and his Charisma stat is through the damn roof.

I only get to pick ONE? Akio and Kozue, then. In my mind, she's the fallen princess to Akio's fallen prince, a younger version of his mother-in-law.

Snatch it out of his/her hand and run!

Well, there's two answers to this.

a) 30-year-old me would get herself hired as an English teacher so that I could change those hideous uniforms to a less hideous one.
b) Student-aged me would spend her time trying to hook up Miki with Nanami, and Juri with Utena while I become Anthy's new best friend.

Never really thought about it, but TV on the Radio's "Wolf Like Me" would be pretty decent to start.

Like this...(pardon the shoddy editing) but with a bit more black on the edges.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/EbonieRose/Decorated%20images/____purple20rose.jpg

I just like the color, to be honest.

I'm a Rose Bride, 100%. Duelists seek irrational and intangible solutions to problems they can fix themselves. Princes want to be the people who fix other people's problems, whether it's taking out a girl who got stood up or kicking someone in the nuts for picking on your best friend. Rose Brides are the ones who try to solve their own problems, because they got tired of waiting on a prince, but end up making a big fucking mess of it all. A Rose Bride knows that there's a perfectly logical solution to this new problem, but they don't want to make things worse than they already are if it doesn't work.

In truth, I'm none of these things, but Rose Bride is the easiest answer to justify.

Believe it or not, no.

10. Do you think waffles will make Saionji smile? etc-saiowank

Only if Anthy made them exactly the way he likes them.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#48 | Back to Top11-15-2010 06:09:43 PM

oryx
New Student
Website

ooh, this seems fun~

getting back into yu yu hakusho put me in the mood for more "classic"/90s anime, and a few weeks ago i realized that i'd never seen utena before. i was like, "hey, doesn't that have cute lesbians in it? i'm down." and thus i began to watch.
ffffff i'm such a newbie ; u;

well, i'm asexual, but for the spirit of this quiz i'll say... akio etc-love
gotta love that flowing white hair

honestly? i don't know yet. i might come back and edit once i finish watching ;)

see above, i s'pose

search the place for hidden rooms and secrets!
and help anthy water the roses in the greenhouse~

maybe "the scientist" by coldplay for mikage?
... yeah idk, i'm terrible at thinking up songs on the spot ;;

not sure if the colors have any significance or not, but... i'd like to be teal or dark blue :>

probably a rose bride, tbh

keiko and her unrequited feelings for touga...
having to work up the courage just to say something innocuous or make an innocent gesture? man, i can relate to that.

lawd, i hope so
i feel bad for that desperate little derp ):

#49 | Back to Top11-16-2010 05:47:35 PM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

I wanted to get into more shoujo-ai, and the series was recommended to me. Of course, I fell in love with it for completely different reasons.

Umm.... I don't know anymore if I'm bi or not, but Juri is apparently hot enough that my sexuality doesn't care. Not that I would ever have the confidence to even talk to her. Otherwise, no one, because they're all too screwed up.

The messed up ones, for the psychology. No, seriously, Utena/Anthy. It's touching.

Haha, who needs a video when there's fanfic?! The imagination is sometimes better, you know....

Look for shadows acting strangely when I walk around campus. Keep the hell away from Akio. Sneak to the dueling arena. Be a detective and look around everywhere for clues about what's going on.

*points to PJ Harvey* Just... look there for Juri. Tori Amos would probably work for Utena/Anthy. Oh, and I think "Maybe Not" by Cat Power fits Utena/Anthy, because it's all about freedom.

Well, to match my hair it would have to be brown. I think it would be lavender.

8. Are you a prince, a duelist, or a rose bride?

Unfortunately, I think I'm a bit of a rose bride right now. I want to have the strength to be a prince, though.

Hmm. I used to like a guy who I thought had a sensitive side. The Saionji to my Wakaba, if you will. Otherwise, nothing that crazy has thankfully happened to me.

Nothing makes Saionji smile emot-frown

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

#50 | Back to Top11-17-2010 08:44:48 AM

Artsychick
Touga Topper
Website

I first saw clips of it in AMV hell and looked it up, I started watching it because I had been on a shounen binge for way too long and needed something a bit more girly.

Ruka, to be romanced properly instead of just jumping into bed with Akio.

Utena/Anthy because I can‘t deviate from the canon, but I personally believe that Miki/Nanami is the cutest thing ever.

Hey what’s that over th- steals, runs. Awkward Miki/Nanami first date, yes please. etc-love

Join the fencing club, teach Anthy to cook, get me some Touga on the side.

Love story by Taylor Swift for Utena/Anthy, although it can apply to most couples, it fits well with the prince and princess lyrics.

Purple, mysterious like Anthy.

A duellist, just because I have some sword training and I’m competitive, not to win the rose bride.

Not letting my gender hold me back from doing what I want.

First he would confess his love to the waffles, then slap them around a little, then he would smile.

Roses, everywhere! Of every color! In your architecture! In your teacups! In your jam!

Board footer