This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top01-19-2007 10:39:55 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Re: Musical Theater

No I've wanted to see the Scrubs musical episode. emot-frown

I don't perform on stage, I'm in the pit as a musical director but I think shows I would love to do are:

Company
City of Angels
Avenue Q
Jersey Boys
Sunday in the Park With George

#77 | Back to Top01-19-2007 11:49:08 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Haven't contributed much, but that's mostly 'cause I live somewhere without much in the way of musical culture. ::shrug:: I've seen Beauty and the Beast (which was beautiful), and The Sound Of Music (oh, god, did I hate that. Hatehatehatehate.). What did I want to see? Rent. Yeah. Thanks.

That said, I have the cds for Rent, Avenue Q and BatB. I've got Phantom, too, somewhere.

Musicals kinda left a bad taste for me, ever since I was forced to sing on stage -less then a year after being told that I should never try to sing, as I had an awful voice. I fucking hated that director. Both of them.

But the one that made me sing, I hated her way more. emot-mad

Aside, Disney announced today that BatB was going to halt production. Last show is scheduled for july 29th. That makes me kinda sad. emot-frown

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#78 | Back to Top04-27-2007 10:35:22 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Ok Evil Dead the Musical is the best thing ever. It's funny as hell. So far my favorite songs are "What the F*** Was That?" and "All the Men in My Life Keep Getting Killed by Candarian Demons". emot-danceemot-danceetc-loveschool-deviletc-loveschool-chefetc-loveschool-devilpoptart

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#79 | Back to Top04-28-2007 01:01:29 AM

mindxdetergent
New Student

This is an old-ish thread, but I finally bothered to make an account and figured I'd throw in my favorites...

Oh man, I etc-love musicals. I sing/act/dance, so I'm in them whenever I get the opportunity. I was most recently in The Rocky Horror Show at my university... It was fabulously fun.

My top ten for musicals:
1.    Elisabeth - I seriously hope they bring this show to America at some point... I am completely obsessed with the music. If death is really anything like der Tod... I'm excited to die. etc-wankgirl I'm a fan of both the German (watching Uwe Kröger as der Tod make Jesper Tydén as Rudolf get on his knees and attempt to make out with him during Die Schatten Werden Länger makes me SO HOT OMG) and the Takarazuka versions.
2.    Les Misèrables - ...Okay, I have a massive crush on Javert.
3.    Hair - Hippies! Acid! Vietnam! Nudity!
4.    Jesus Christ Superstar - I think this was Andrew Lloyd Webber's best. I etc-love Judas.
5.    Cabaret - Moooney makes the wooorld go 'round!
6.    Chicago - Never fails to entertain.
7.    Little Shop of Horrors - Who doesn't love a show with a singing plant?
8.    Bat Boy - Funniest. Show. Evar.
9.    Jane Eyre - My favorite book... I didn't actually expect to like it as musical; turns out, it I loved it. It was only on Broadway briefly, so I never got to actually see it live! emot-gonk
10.    Rocky Horror Show - I'm a groupie for the cult movie, so naturally I like the show! school-devil

#80 | Back to Top04-29-2007 12:19:56 AM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Rocky is a fun musical. Did you get to play anyone interesting?

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#81 | Back to Top04-29-2007 12:24:58 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Lately I've been listening to the musical Cats. Give me a month and I'll have it memorized. The nice thing about Andrew Lloyd Webber's music is that I can listen to it as though it were a CD, without having to fast forward over parts that aren't music.

#82 | Back to Top04-29-2007 09:20:19 AM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

mindxdetergent wrote:

10.    Rocky Horror Show - I'm a groupie for the cult movie, so naturally I like the show! school-devil

We're going to be doing a production of Rocky Horror Show in a couple weeks. I'm excited!

#83 | Back to Top04-30-2007 11:37:50 PM

mindxdetergent
New Student

Alithea wrote:

Rocky is a fun musical. Did you get to play anyone interesting?

I was a Phantom, which was exhausting (we were onstage at all times throughout the whole show singing and dancing), but nonetheless awesome. I think this was taken during Once in a While:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/cow_mouse/phantom.png

It felt really good to get out of the tightly-laced corset after the play was over! emot-keke

#84 | Back to Top04-30-2007 11:43:01 PM

Maru in a miniskirt
Miki Molester
Website

I got to take all the pictures during that performance! etc-wankdude

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/Tristikov/FrenchKissOfDeath.png

#85 | Back to Top05-01-2007 11:28:13 AM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

mindxdetergent wrote:

It felt really good to get out of the tightly-laced corset after the play was over! emot-keke

Getting out of a tightly laced corset or bodice is always a liberatly experience. Nothing like a day of fair and then the evening comes and women all over actors camp going, "Ahhhhh!" in quite orgasmic fashions. Cool cool... I saw a production of Rocky in San Jose it was great live. poptart for you.

#86 | Back to Top05-01-2007 11:57:53 AM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Mmmmm... leather.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#87 | Back to Top10-27-2007 07:43:44 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

I raise this thread from the dead....I just saw the Sweeny Todd Movie trailer.

Um... I think I still maintain my slightly afraid and worried stance and yet... it looks cool. I think my problem is going to be Jonny Depp singing and realizing that I'm not going to exactly get the operatic stuff I want out of some of the actors. Hmmm... Anyone else have any thoughts.

#88 | Back to Top10-27-2007 10:54:30 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Sweeney Todd is not my all-time favorite musical but I like it enough to be interested. I want to hear what Johnny Depp's singing voice is like. emot-tongue

I went to see Mademoiselle Modiste last weekend and after the show was promptly browbeaten by the cast into auditioning for the June production of Pirates of Penzance. I will audition. Whether or not I actually do it will depend on numerous factors, like rehearsal schedules and how it would affect my going to RoseCon.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#89 | Back to Top10-27-2007 11:18:04 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I want to hear what Johnny Depp's singing voice is like. emot-tongue

You need to watch you some Corpse Bride then. cool

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#90 | Back to Top10-27-2007 11:26:21 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

It didn't really interest me all that much... I mean, given the chance I'd see it but there are so many other movies that are higher up on my list...

#91 | Back to Top10-27-2007 11:26:25 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Since I was involved with a production of Sweeney Todd (that went all the way to Nationals) I have to say I'm extremely worried about the movie. T_T Johnny Depp singing an operatic baritone? Not possible.

EDIT
OMFG GUESS WHAT SHOWS I'M DOING NEXT SEASON??

COMPANY
SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE

Last edited by Emiemipoemi (10-28-2007 01:02:40 AM)

#92 | Back to Top10-28-2007 01:30:47 AM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Sweeney Todd (that went all the way to Nationals)

Was this by any chance in the National Honor Thespian Conference? If so, I've heard a bit about your production.

As for myself, I'm overjoyed because I just recently got into "Die Fledermaus", a fine German opera.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#93 | Back to Top10-28-2007 02:05:19 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'm not overly familiar with "Die Fledermaus" I'm afraid... though I have performed some orchestral selections from it...

Lyric theater is something new to me - I look at it as sort of the bridge between true opera and contemporary musical theater.

Now I just need to not suck at singing.

#94 | Back to Top10-28-2007 06:18:09 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

mindxdetergent wrote:

1.    Elisabeth - I seriously hope they bring this show to America at some point... I am completely obsessed with the music. If death is really anything like der Tod... I'm excited to die. etc-wankgirl I'm a fan of both the German (watching Uwe Kröger as der Tod make Jesper Tydén as Rudolf get on his knees and attempt to make out with him during Die Schatten Werden Länger makes me SO HOT OMG) and the Takarazuka versions.

Mwahaha. I have a friend who is obsessed with that, and while I was in Japan I ended up seeing a fair chunk of it. Mostly of der Tod. emot-biggrin I saw a couple versions, but I think...it was the blonde one who was great. Heh heh heh. (And now I think of it, damn, he reminds me of this character in this bizarre Norwegian soap opera we were watching the other day. Hmm. I seem to be developing a type of guy I like in things I don't understand a word of...)

In terms of musicals, I'm watching Chess. Never have before, really, as the song One Night In Bangkok has made me want to rip out my eyes since I was little. I also have to try and decide what musical I want to see in London the weekend I go home; I've been to Avenue Q, Phantom and The Lion King; I'm a bit torn between We Will Rock You and Spamalot now...

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#95 | Back to Top10-28-2007 11:19:20 AM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I'm going to try my damnedest to see Avenue Q next Saturday. I've wanted to see it for years.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#96 | Back to Top10-28-2007 05:25:49 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Razara wrote:

Give me a month and I'll have it memorized.

I wasn't kidding. I absolutely love Cats now.

As I mentioned in another threat, I recently saw West Side Story, and I loved it. Seeing the play was much better than watching the movie. I've had the music from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat stuck in my head for about six or seven days now. I watched My Fair Lady with my aunt last night, and I enjoyed it as usual.

I'm not really sure what I think of Johny Depp being Sweeny Todd. It might work, and it might not, but I can help but lean more towards the side of it not working.

#97 | Back to Top10-28-2007 05:37:39 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

Raven Nightshade wrote:

I'm going to try my damnedest to see Avenue Q next Saturday. I've wanted to see it for years.

It's positively incredible! emot-dance There's so much you don't get in the soundtracks that is just perfect on stage.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#98 | Back to Top10-28-2007 09:15:11 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Jellineck wrote:

Sweeney Todd (that went all the way to Nationals)

Was this by any chance in the National Honor Thespian Conference? If so, I've heard a bit about your production.

I have no idea! All I know is that the National competition was called the American Association of Community Theater, aka AACT Fest.

#99 | Back to Top10-28-2007 09:48:15 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I wish I could have gone to see Avenue Q when it was in San Francisco but even the cheap seats were out of my price range.

Board footer