This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-01-2012 06:55:40 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Miscellaneous design stuff from the movie

Just some stuff I haven't seen mentioned before.

The Student Council uniforms are color-inverted.
Juri and Miki have green eyes instead of blue.
Juri's hair isn't curled up as it was in the show.
Yes, movie Akio sucks. But if you can take your eyes away from his crotch for a brief moment in the video scene, you'll notice a slight difference in the design of the car. It has only two seats.

Not only that, but movie Ohtori's architecture seems to shift as well!

In the aforementioned video scene, it looks pretty typical - though of course this is just a ground's eye view.
But after Akio vanishes from the balcony, it looks all crazy n' weird n' stuff.

How much of this is actually meaningful, and how much of it is just aesthetic?

Last edited by Atropos (10-01-2012 06:58:07 PM)

#2 | Back to Top10-02-2012 10:08:07 AM

BlackBeforeRed
Acknowledged Smart Person

Re: Miscellaneous design stuff from the movie

I believe in one of the booklets that came with the boxsets it was mentioned that they tried to work off of an opposite colour scheme as well. And the style of architecture is the exact opposite of the effect they were trying to achieve in series!Ohtori, hard and angled lines as opposed to soft and curved lines. I think the main purpose was for a combination of reasons, a) to let us know right away that this place is a whole other beast to the school we knew from the series, that place was a little strange and metaphorical, but this place is an acid trip don't expect anything to make sense b) the setting is inverted, not just different, like Utena and Anthy are I might be way off, but I always felt like the inverting of Ohtori was also signal to the inverting of U&A c) With the success of the series, there seemed to be an attitude of, "Hey, we can do anything we want now without a whole bunch of people breathing down our necks, lets get crazy!" So, yes some of it probably was "because we can"

Added note on the Akio car, why would he need the backseat when he didn't have series!Akio swag, it's not like he would be using it emot-tongue

#3 | Back to Top10-03-2012 07:22:29 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I believe Ikuhara has compared the movie, before, to Fire Walk With Me, as well, which was set up to be as disconcerting and new-ish to familiar audiences as for newcomers. You should feel, even if you're super-familiar with the TV show or comic, the movie should make you feel off-balance and as an inversion, retelling, and progression of the familiar events/characterizations all at once.

I think it does pretty good on that note.

Last edited by Decrescent Daytripper (10-03-2012 07:23:59 PM)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#4 | Back to Top10-08-2012 02:34:42 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

The whole television show tower being uprooted and tacked onto the movie one always creeped me out. But it makes sense, since the movie literally rips Akio's penis right off.

As for the smoother designs, my understanding of that is that Hasegawa designs in those two different ways based either on the impact he wants to have or the practicality of budget. It's harder to animate the smooth designs of the movie.

But yeah I never noticed his car had no backseat. emot-gonk That would make it a better match to the actual model of car it's based on, but with fewer pimportunities.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#5 | Back to Top10-10-2012 04:30:31 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Giovanna wrote:

The whole television show tower being uprooted and tacked onto the movie one always creeped me out. But it makes sense, since the movie literally rips Akio's penis right off.

The blood red rust-stain effect trailing off it is classily crass.

The movie's all about killing Akio as hard and thorough as it can.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Board footer