This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-10-2012 03:41:16 PM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

Whoa! Penguindrum's been licensed!

Read about it on AnimeNewsNetwork.

Needless to say, I'm excited about this, but I'm also pretty shocked because as far as I've heard, the show hasn't even been licensed in the US yet, and it's incredibly unusual for the country I live in to get anime licences before America. (Conversely, the UK never got an official release for the SKU series, though we did get the movie...)

Hopefully for you guys, this means that a US licence will be announced at some point, so fingers crossed~.

#2 | Back to Top08-10-2012 07:41:58 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Re: Whoa! Penguindrum's been licensed!

I'm glad for any news of Penguindrum being made accessible to more people, and is hoping that Ikuhara will churn out another anime within the next two years or so instead of going through another decade+ hiatus.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#3 | Back to Top09-01-2012 06:38:42 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

#4 | Back to Top09-02-2012 12:55:32 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

That's exciting!

I really hope that they get they use the Japanese box art for the DVDs.  Because I want this pic on a DVD box so bad:

http://static1.minitokyo.net/view/06/17/578356.jpg

I was so excited when I first saw it. Kanba/Himari is my all time OTP, so I would have to have this picture on a DVD box. Come on Sentai!

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#5 | Back to Top09-02-2012 09:52:38 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

My . . . to think that I once worried about how Ikuhara would just fall into inactively again post Penguindrum, thus leading MP to become obscure as well.  Thank God for the Penguinbear thing keeping people's interest heightened, such that the UK + US release can gain better hype and momentum!

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#6 | Back to Top09-11-2012 12:12:47 AM

Saito Hoshikawa
Thorn of Death

So now it sounds like Sentai's calling the series Penguin Drum for their release.

I'm still excited either way, though I hear Sentai doesn't make very good dubs. Can anyone shed some light on that?

"Whatever all this is, it needs to not be a thing at all."

Being a ghosty piece of shit with no standards since 2014 (maybe earlier).

#7 | Back to Top09-11-2012 04:32:45 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Saito Hoshikawa wrote:

I hear Sentai doesn't make very good dubs. Can anyone shed some light on that?

It's basically formed from the remnants of ADV, and the dub quality is the same.

#8 | Back to Top09-11-2012 07:38:00 PM

Saito Hoshikawa
Thorn of Death

Atropos wrote:

It's basically formed from the remnants of ADV, and the dub quality is the same.

So then it basically varies with each series?

"Whatever all this is, it needs to not be a thing at all."

Being a ghosty piece of shit with no standards since 2014 (maybe earlier).

#9 | Back to Top09-12-2012 03:01:46 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

I hope they do a UK dub! It'd be nice to get a series that isn't in American, or even worse, yet another American dub with Americans trying to sound like non-Americans, and failing abysmally... *coughblackbutlercoughissomeonetorturingafroginthatsoundboothcough*

#10 | Back to Top09-14-2012 08:30:21 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

crystalwren wrote:

I hope they do a UK dub! It'd be nice to get a series that isn't in American, or even worse, yet another American dub with Americans trying to sound like non-Americans, and failing abysmally... *coughblackbutlercoughissomeonetorturingafroginthatsoundboothcough*

I've been distrustful of the UK translations in general after making the mistake of buying the British blu-ray for Ghost in the Shell: Innocence. I haven't seen a worse butcher of a script. For whatever reason, it still seems to pay to buy stuff from America, when it comes to anime.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#11 | Back to Top09-14-2012 01:30:52 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Here's the first US cover. For some reason Sentai decided to drop the Mawaru and make Penguindrum two words...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma983zvCfW1qbxqfpo1_500.jpg

#12 | Back to Top09-14-2012 02:30:02 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

HonorableShadow wrote:

Here's the first US cover. For some reason Sentai decided to drop the Mawaru and make Penguindrum two words...

Will there be a DVD release, too? I don't own a Blu-Ray player...emot-frown

#13 | Back to Top09-14-2012 03:38:15 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I'm not sure. emot-frown

#14 | Back to Top09-18-2012 04:03:47 PM

the_architect
Saionji Slapper

In other news, Penguindrum will start airing here in Italy on Thursday! emot-dance
Still no date or other info about a DVD/BD release, unfortunately.

I'm curious about the dub, as the show and its many catchphrases are pretty hard to translate. 8thsin and the rest of the gg staff did a great job with their English fansub, but I don't have the same confidence in our (paid!) translators and VAs. Let's see what they can do.

(too bad I can't receive that channel in my new apartment - that newfangled digital-VCR-USB-thing I've just bought and set up at my old house just to record this had better work right on the first try)

#15 | Back to Top09-18-2012 04:45:12 PM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

Atropos wrote:

Will there be a DVD release, too? I don't own a Blu-Ray player...emot-frown

I'm pretty sure there will be, because both the ANN articles mention DVD as well as Blu-Ray.

(Oh, and mods? Would it be possible to cut "in the UK" out of this thread's subject line, now that Penguindrum is coming to the US and Italy as well?)

#16 | Back to Top11-09-2012 10:19:07 AM

Seen
Mikage Mistruster

the_architect wrote:

In other news, Penguindrum will start airing here in Italy on Thursday! emot-dance
Still no date or other info about a DVD/BD release, unfortunately.

I'm curious about the dub, as the show and its many catchphrases are pretty hard to translate. 8thsin and the rest of the gg staff did a great job with their English fansub, but I don't have the same confidence in our (paid!) translators and VAs. Let's see what they can do.

(too bad I can't receive that channel in my new apartment - that newfangled digital-VCR-USB-thing I've just bought and set up at my old house just to record this had better work right on the first try)

Here's a clip from episode 5 in Italian. It sounds great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … _0MsPcZOoA

#17 | Back to Top11-12-2012 01:31:04 PM

the_architect
Saionji Slapper

Seen wrote:

Here's a clip from episode 5 in Italian. It sounds great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … _0MsPcZOoA

Well, the dub isn't bad, but it's not exceptional either. Himari's voice actress sounds a little too old for that role, especially when she's not playing the Princess of the Crystal, and there are a few translations that sound a little awkward. That said, I can't wait for this week's episode, when they'll introduce Sanetoshi!

The local distributor has announced the BDs just a few days ago. They're already on my preorder list, of course.

By the way, they've used the spelling "pingdrum" (from the Japanese ピングドラム pingudoramu) for every instance of "penguindrum" in the dub. I wonder if that was intentional (as 8thsin speculated while the series was airing in Japan), perhaps on request of the authors, or if it was chosen just because it sounds closer to the Japanese pronunciation. The English dub hasn't been released yet, right?

#18 | Back to Top10-01-2013 02:31:14 PM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

The second UK boxset release has been given an 18 cert by the BBFC, the equivalent of a strong R, as seen here. It's entirely the fault of what happens with Yuri in episodes 14 and 15 (both her own actions and her backstory), otherwise it would've been rated 12 like the first boxset.

Just thought that might be a point of interest.

#19 | Back to Top10-02-2013 01:32:09 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

MikoGalatea wrote:

(Oh, and mods? Would it be possible to cut "in the UK" out of this thread's subject line, now that Penguindrum is coming to the US and Italy as well?)

Oh, jeez. I'm sorry, I didn't even see this! Done.

Also, rated R? Well, to be honest, Yuri's actions deserve that rating. That was pretty fucked up.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

Board footer