This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-08-2014 03:33:58 AM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

SKU and Sailor Moon Crystal

Am I the only one getting strong Utena vibes from the new Sailor Moon anime?

I don't know if Ikuhara has been involved in the reboot or not, but certain aspects of it really make me think of Utena, such as the eyecatches with their shaddow people:
https://38.media.tumblr.com/e2050a990f7ee8391b73a3323263a151/tumblr_n89eumhhCP1rqrq7ho2_500.png
https://38.media.tumblr.com/398cc23645ffbd6800e4b0a1fe4079f4/tumblr_n89eumhhCP1rqrq7ho4_500.png

There was also this moment in the ending song, which is strongly reminiscent of the dance scene in the movie:
http://s28.postimg.org/5kwdqpukt/Screen_Shot_2014_07_06_at_08_25_53.png

And finely, the lyrics to the opening song:

“We all have unshakable wills
     We will fight on our own,
     Without leaving our destiny to a prince
     We are not helpless girls
     Who needs men's protection “

Well... Need I say more?

We know that Ikuhara was directly inspired by Sailor Moon when he created Utena, so perhaps his ideas have finely come full circle? Anyway, I think it would be amazing if more comparisons popped up, and I can't wait to see the rest of the anime.

#2 | Back to Top07-08-2014 06:49:27 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

Re: SKU and Sailor Moon Crystal

No you are not alone I also felt the same it was a nice surprise actually

here my own screenshots https://twitter.com/Karukakun/status/485737067671195649

I didn't linked that dance though but as you posted it seems so great

There were also rose frames at the character introductions as seen in the picture I posted emot-smile
I find it fascinating and it adds a very classy feeling to it emot-smile

まずここでこのオスカル・フランソワの命をたってからにされるがよい!

#3 | Back to Top07-08-2014 07:17:45 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

My sister and I watched it and kept going "That's Utena, that's Utena, that's Utena..." There was also a bit, either in the opening credits or in the dream sequences with Serenity and Endymion, where their arms slip out of each others grasp. Very Utena. We weren't watching it on the computer otherwise I'd've taken a screenshot.

Last edited by MissMocha (07-08-2014 07:18:08 AM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#4 | Back to Top07-08-2014 08:21:16 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

MissMocha wrote:

in the dream sequences with Serenity and Endymion, where their arms slip out of each others grasp. Very Utena.

I think I remember that one too! emot-dance

#5 | Back to Top07-08-2014 01:31:50 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

While I think that ending shot with Endymion and Serenity on the water looks like the dance scene from the Utena movie, I think it was more of a reference to the first ending from the original SM, Heart Moving.

The second ending, Princess Moon, is probably where the silhouette/shadows came from.

So, Ikuhara has been working on SM from day one, but he didn't have any real creative control until he become director at the start of the Crystal Tokyo half of R.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#6 | Back to Top07-08-2014 07:16:35 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Some of these come from older sources that both Sailor Moon and Utena drew on, as well, like the silhouettes.

Even the arms sliding beside each other until fingers motif goes back quite a ways

There does seem to be a resurgence in SKU references, though, overall, in the last two years.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#7 | Back to Top07-09-2014 03:35:16 AM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

Yeah, I also thought of Princess Moon when I saw the Shadow People ( I wonder if that's where Ikuhara got it from?)- and I'd forgotten about the rose frames on the characters, definitely very utena-esque

#8 | Back to Top07-20-2014 02:17:57 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

The blue-haired genius is invited to a seminar for high achievers, but the secret goal is brainwashing! YES THAT DOES SOUND FAMILIAR

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#9 | Back to Top07-20-2014 07:17:44 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

purplepolecat wrote:

The blue-haired genius is invited to a seminar for high achievers, but the secret goal is brainwashing! YES THAT DOES SOUND FAMILIAR

I'm missing something. It's Ami's standard intro, but other than very broadly did it happen in SKU?

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#10 | Back to Top07-20-2014 08:22:36 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

I'm missing something. It's Ami's standard intro, but other than very broadly did it happen in SKU?

Miki's conversation with Mikage in the first BR episode suggests that Mikage tried to get him to join the Black Rose Circle. Which I'm not sure how that would have worked?

#11 | Back to Top07-21-2014 12:16:53 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

purplepolecat wrote:

Which is extra hilarious considering Aya Hisakawa was voicing both of them back then.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#12 | Back to Top07-21-2014 08:59:28 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

purplepolecat wrote:

I didn't realize it happened in the original. This is the first time I've watched Sailor Moon at all.

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Which is extra hilarious considering Aya Hisakawa was voicing both of them back then.

Whenever Usagi gets too whiny, I just close my eyes and imagine Excel Excel. emot-rofl

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#13 | Back to Top07-27-2014 01:23:13 AM

Theoretical Lesbian
New Student
Website

Hi, new member here!

Popping in to say: Trufax, Sailor Moon Crystal inspired me to revisit Utena, and now I've got a childhood friend into it. We watched the first six episodes before she left for vacation, and afterward, we compared Takarazuka-style theatre to some of the Sailor Moon musicals, especially in regards to Ono Hikari and her brilliant portrayal of Prince Diamond/Demande/OMG THERE ARE TOO MANY SPELLINGS.

I love seeing these parallels and look forward to seeing what other parallels might be discerned in the coming episodes. I'll watch with Utena-vision from now on.

#14 | Back to Top07-27-2014 06:40:31 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

purplepolecat wrote:

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Whenever Usagi gets too whiny, I just close my eyes and imagine Excel Excel. emot-rofl

But not Juri on helium?

After all, Kotono Mitsuishi voices both Juri and Usagi.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#15 | Back to Top07-28-2014 12:35:25 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

Theoretical Lesbian wrote:

[...] afterward, we compared Takarazuka-style theatre to some of the Sailor Moon musicals[...]

Well the revue has inspired like everything in anime-manga style:
1. all bishounen everywhere are inspired by the perfection of the male impersonators
2. strong androgynous females? ya got it
3. fairy tale prince saving/loving/etc the lady in distress? pretty much everything about the revue
4. evil characters who are too handsome to be mad at them (ahem Akio ahem) (just like the Der Tod from Elizabeth musical)
5. male femininity
6. Look at Touga! He is the play boy of play boys sleeps with everything in dress (or not emot-rolleyes ) but he is very gentle to everyone of his lovers and claims to be a feminist. Well damn he does remind me of certain male impersonations emot-tongue
7. Utena, was inspired from Oscar, who was inspired from Princess knight who was inspired from, what else, the revue emot-tongue

Osamu Tezuka who made Princess knight as his first shoujo manga, he was born and grew up in the town of Takarazuka, his mom was regular theatre goer and if I remember correctly she was friends with a member of the revue, Tezuka was theatre going with his mom. Princess knight was a girl, dressed and acted as a boy, for reasons.

The next step was Oscar, born a girl to a father of other six daughters with no heir to succeed him so he raised her as a boy. The Revue adopted the story after a fan suggested it, and because of  the whole matching philosophy behind the "girl dresses and acts as a boy" concept, Berubara became the biggest hit of the Revue of all times, and still sells like bananas even after 40 years of repeating the show. So it was basically a story returning to its roots.
(here the latest Oscar:)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10553910_480507892051529_4467943623074419357_o.jpg

Utena inspired by this concept was a girl dressed like a boy, and wanting to be a prince.

after Utena we have Ran from Hana no Kishi, she is a girl dressed like a boy, and the world doesn't know what lays under her fabulous 黒燕尾(black tailcoat which is the number one symbol of male impersonators) she is a bodyguard of a filthy rich girl and she is called the first knight. The Rich girl is the typical Noble, super kind and caring, super beautiful and charming, yet unreachable and perfect, similar to many others before her with the SM related example of Michiru. Which is also a Revue element for the female impersonators.

so pretty much everything shoujo has a reference to the revue here and there.

As for Sailor moon, Takeuchi sensei herself is a huge fan of the Revue, she based Mamoru (the manga one at least) on male impersonators (kuroenbi, tallhat, cane) he is smooth and kind and saves the lady in distress. Also if someone looks at the material collection books, Haruka, Michiru and Taiki were created as being member of the revue, especially Taiki was marked as 200% revue type, while Haruka got her low sexy voice, handsomeness, and charm, and Michiru the absolute perfection of every top female impersonator. Rumours have it that these two were based on a popular top combi at the time, since their hobbies of violinplaying, painting for Michiru, and fast cars for Haruka, were listed as hobbies of that top combination as well, but with just about everything concerning the revue, the connection was never confirmed and Takeuchi sensei never even made her character as part of the Revue in end (just the idea was stated in the material collection book)

The musicals now were totally inspired by the concept as there were male characters played by women, but also former members were part of the cast, fist Beryl for example. The current musicals are in entirety of female cast, Tux boy is a former Top Star, Beryl is also an OG male impersonator, and Zoicite also an OG "boy". The new one continues with the same Tux boy, and two more OG's joing in as Demando and Sapphire. Takeuchi sensei has her dream come true emot-biggrin

Utena musicals back in the day were also all female casted AND 3 OGs played Utena, Saionji and Dios/Akio, actually them were the reason I found out about the Revue and became an instant fan etc-love

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/553267_360127510726191_1839294871_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/458620_360126197392989_644332731_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t1.0-9/548211_360057764066499_2117327164_n.jpg

etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Last edited by Karuka (07-28-2014 12:36:46 AM)

Board footer