This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-15-2009 01:49:56 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

[Remaster] Want more frames of Touga's hand? Watch the remaster.

That's right. Naturally the first thing Yasha and I watched was episode 25, and as I quickly discovered due to her wild gesticulating and foaming at the mouth, they actually changed something that pretty much everyone but us would find quite insignificant. Observe these caps that took me all afternoon because my comp was being a bitch. As you can see, I synched the matching shots so you'd see where the change appears.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1451/tougahand.jpg

There are additional frames of animation of Touga groping Akio's car. This doesn't amount to even a second of screen time, I don't think, but it's an obvious change to the original work. The only other possibility would be that the transfer to the American DVDs was THAT fucking shitty that it cut chunks of animation. Does that happen? I'm pretty sure not, and even so, Yasha damn near bounced out the window so I'm guessing she hasn't seen this in any incarnation, and I don't recognize the additional frames either--which is saying something when I capped the whole series pretty much frame by frame. (I had noticed it also but I was doing the chewing my lip trying to figure out what's different and Yasha basically went straight for berserk.)

Anyway, if we assume this was added...why? It doesn't change the context or meaning of what he's doing, it only reinforces it. The original sequence is obviously stroking. The change is that now it's obviously stroking the specific contours of the car--before it looked like he could have been stroking a flat surface, now he's picking at the gold bit.

So...naturally we're gonna comb through what I brought of the rest looking for more of this. I can't imagine why Ikuhara would change something so minor, unless...he...knows about this site.* emot-redface emot-aaa emot-redface

*Where else would he get the idea that minor changes of body language would be worth adding? emot-confused

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top12-15-2009 01:56:34 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: [Remaster] Want more frames of Touga's hand? Watch the remaster.

Oh yeah and they also fixed how Touga and Saionji's hair was in the shot of Akio's car driving away at the end of episode 33.

Ruined a perfectly good exhibitionism fantasy there. emot-mad

Edit: Oh and they added or majorly amplified the sound of Akio's feet landing on the front of the car.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#3 | Back to Top12-15-2009 02:09:29 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

This changes everything!

Obviously it reveals Touga's attraction to bright objects and how he misses the overall point by focusing on impressive but minor details.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#4 | Back to Top12-15-2009 02:14:45 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

Obviously it reveals Touga's attraction to bright objects and how he misses the overall point by focusing on impressive but minor details.

I'm pretty sure Touga's attraction to bright objects is established pretty much every time he shows up anyway.

Still. Now I have to find out what else they changed. Clever they are, giving me something to waste my time doing.

#5 | Back to Top12-15-2009 02:52:12 PM

Katieryn
Rose Smilee

Is the difference visible when watching in real time?

"If Utena was a novel, you'd be studying it in college." -- EM site info

We're patient for now, and we're patient for tomorrow, when the past will redeem all the toil extreme and all the sorrow.

#6 | Back to Top12-15-2009 02:55:02 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yep.

#7 | Back to Top12-15-2009 04:27:47 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Aww, Ikuhara made the cock invisible!

#8 | Back to Top12-15-2009 05:01:37 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

Two things occurred to me.
1.) Maybe there were extra frames that originally got tossed, and in the remastered version they were edited back in

2.) Also, perhaps it was put into a story board or something, it was deemed unnecessary, but added to the re-mastered version for whatever reason....

...I don't know, those two thoughts are awfully similar, but they were the first things I thought. Touga's hand really is alluring.... that was the third

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#9 | Back to Top12-15-2009 10:32:08 PM

minervana
High Tripper

It's possible that doing a tv show puts them under a serious time constraint, i.e. the episode has to be exactly 23:15 long. When remastering it for a DVD you don't have these time constraints, and they can add little touches like that.

#10 | Back to Top12-16-2009 03:05:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

minervana wrote:

It's possible that doing a tv show puts them under a serious time constraint, i.e. the episode has to be exactly 23:15 long. When remastering it for a DVD you don't have these time constraints, and they can add little touches like that.

That sounds like the best explanation. You'd think as a rule though they'd know pretty much exactly how to time it without wasting frames, yeah? I wonder how many times this happened.

#11 | Back to Top12-16-2009 06:00:39 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Haha, cool. I'd like to imagine that this was an executive decision by Ikuhara.

"You know, this series is almost perfect in its content and execution, but after ten years of reflection, I finally understand how we can make it truly complete. More frames of Touga stroking the Akio Car. Brilliant!"

#12 | Back to Top12-16-2009 08:45:10 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Thank ya'll for finding more frames of Touga stroking something...specifically the Akio car. school-devil Seriously though if Touga wants something shiny to stroke I can dust my self with gold leaf. Some Touga humping aside, I wonder what, Ikuhara is up to either he stalks the forum(like you suggested), felt like doing the show justice (being ashamed of substandard art work and or it leading to not intended/not wanted explanations for what takes place ) or some other strange reason for remastering the show.

Random question: If you get the time, I know that there is an episode with Touga and Akio in bed (silhouettes), in/of to the side, of the dueling arena. Have they made any changes to it.

Now I want to see the remasters...I need to get on that plan for unlimited money.

Last edited by SexingTouga24/7/365 (12-16-2009 08:46:29 PM)

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#13 | Back to Top12-16-2009 11:50:04 PM

minervana
High Tripper

Giovanna wrote:

You'd think as a rule though they'd know pretty much exactly how to time it without wasting frames, yeah? I wonder how many times this happened.

It depends on how they edit it. It's also possible that they shoot a few extra frames or in-between frames for a few scenes, in case they come up a second or two short. Plus, what if they find that a certain line is funnier/sadder/more profound if it's sustained or shortened by a second or two? Or that line x is actually kind of distracting and throws the viewer off, even though it looks okay on the page? Even if they have the best writers and voice actors in the world, that (or something like it) is bound to happen eventually. Extra frames are a back-up.

I used to work in radio, and I can tell you that timing is really hard, even for professionals. Making a story wrap up in exactly 2:10...and we didn't even have images to work with. I can't imagine what it's like for an animated show.

Last edited by minervana (12-16-2009 11:50:20 PM)

#14 | Back to Top12-18-2009 10:30:38 PM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Wow, Touga gives great hand. emot-aaa I've always loved that scene. That and the short moments when the wind has blown his shirt open and Saionji stares at his windswept tassels. school-devil

Yet another reason to get the remaster!

#15 | Back to Top12-20-2009 01:51:09 PM

Aya
Unfulfilled Juror

Maybe...maybe they didn't put it in there. Maybe Touga was stroking the car on his own!! emot-aaa
He'll be stroking you next!

I suppose that's not such a bad thing, is it?

Yes, I did it because I was bored. So?

#16 | Back to Top12-20-2009 02:40:38 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I don't know.  He's stroking the car, but the crook of his fingers looks a little defensive to me -- not so much covetous as tense.  This episode is Touga's first voice appearance since episode 12, and he's changed since then.  Could he be sublimating some misgivings about Akio into affection for the Akio Car?

#17 | Back to Top12-20-2009 05:14:36 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Touga's inner monologue: 

Um, having fun until this late...
When I get back I gotta order lunch for tomorrow right away.
Um, what should I have?
I hear green tea is good for one's figure, so...green tea and...
Perhaps some boiled eggs for protein...or perhaps steak...
Usually, I just let Nanami decide for me, see...
...since my long fingernails make it hard to dial numbers...
What a mess. What'll I do?
I can't think of anything.
Green tea, steak and eggs...but what else?
What should I do?

I assume.

#18 | Back to Top12-20-2009 07:08:22 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I lolled.

Actually, a few of us lolled.

We lolled good.

#19 | Back to Top12-21-2009 03:16:46 AM

minervana
High Tripper

Here's something different:

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad265/doodoodoodoom/merry-christmas-touga-saionji.png

Compare to the original:

http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/d/15248-1/Series_ep36_141.jpg

Merry Christmas!

#20 | Back to Top12-21-2009 08:42:55 AM

Aya
Unfulfilled Juror

Ooo, Saionji and Touga...

Yes, I did it because I was bored. So?

#21 | Back to Top12-21-2009 01:31:44 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Touga's inner monologue

I love you.

PS. Satyr: Yes yes, I know, we're analysis-whores. Which is like being anal whores with less lube. Honestly I'm not reading into the hand so much as pointing out that that's the first change Yasha and I noticed. Goes to show where our attentions are.

#22 | Back to Top12-21-2009 01:37:48 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Anthy found a rather notable change in episode 39. emot-frown
Poor Anthy. I'll bring bandaids.

I don't think I ever screencapped it though, and I don't have them on me right now, so, you'll just see when you get there.

I made a whole list of changes and stuff, but I have no idea where I put it...

#23 | Back to Top12-21-2009 02:23:49 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

allegoriest wrote:

Anthy found a rather notable change in episode 39. emot-frown
Poor Anthy. I'll bring bandaids.

I don't think I ever screencapped it though, and I don't have them on me right now, so, you'll just see when you get there.

I made a whole list of changes and stuff, but I have no idea where I put it...

I'd be really interested in reading/seeing all of the changes. Now you guys have me curious.

20 threads dead so far.

#24 | Back to Top12-21-2009 02:31:35 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

The sound effects are RIDICULOUSLY dramatic. But the Akio Car kinda sounds like a car now! And this pleases me. It pleases me greatly.
But the sound effects during duels REALLY bother me.

Also, in Wakaba's duel, they made Utena say Himemiya, where she previously said Anthy, and that one really bothered me alot. So I'm glad they changed that.

#25 | Back to Top12-21-2009 03:53:43 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

What, does Anthy bleed???

Yeah they tinkered with the sound a LOT. Akio does a lot more amused chuckling than I realized.

Board footer