This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-15-2010 12:27:31 PM

Alexa
Anthy Assailer

Chiho Saitou and Kunihiko Ikuhara interview, circa 2000

I mentioned this interview in another thread and I thought people might like to see it (I haven't seen it posted anywhere, at least not for a long time).    These are from Animerica Extra, Issue 4.1 (2000), where the first translated chapter of the SKU manga was published.  There's an article about Chiho Saito with a bibliography, the chapter, and then a promotional interview with both Saito and Ikuhara.  Not only are the answers interesting, but it there are some cute photos, too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v459/alexalindh/p1.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v459/alexalindh/p2.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v459/alexalindh/p3.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v459/alexalindh/p4.png

Sorry for the crappy scans.  If anything's illegible, let me know and I'll re-do it.

(In order to find this, I went on a fantastic voyage through my attic, coming into contact with many embarrassing things I think I was hoping to forget.  But I also found a Tiffany's bracelet from an ex that might be worth some money.  So it was successful on two fronts.)

EDIT: I don't even know why I was spelling Saito's name with an extra "u" at the end. emot-confused  Is there a way to edit post titles?

Last edited by Alexa (02-16-2010 03:16:55 PM)

#2 | Back to Top02-15-2010 12:31:15 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Re: Chiho Saitou and Kunihiko Ikuhara interview, circa 2000

omg, Alexa, thank you so much. poptart  I appreciate all the trouble you went through.  :eagerly reads:  And it is very legible.  I'm saving these unless you say otherwise.

Already reading, this changes my initial perspectives on SKU, such as making me think how the movie would be the most direct portrayal of the themes...that seems astonishing but in a sense, it makes sense.  I'm going to have to think about this and reflect to really put this in perspective.  I will start picking quotes once I digest this.

My initial reaction is how Saito presents what  I see as the core of SKU, stripping past just the story and what the viewer actually sees (note:  I have not yet read the manga) and explains it in such simple terms and yet captures the depth that grabs you but makes it so easily understandable. 

Also, certain concepts resonate on a personal level.  I like how it is said that Utena wears the boy uniform not because she necessarily wants to be a guy or to attract a particular sex, but because she likes it.  It's always been that way with me.  I never minded wearing clothing of the opposite sex, within reason (due to a sense of security or insecurity and thus a personal comfort matter) and it was never because I wanted to be male or wanted to attract my own sex, but it was just a part of me.  And even now, if I'm wearing say a suit jacket and complimentary pants, I know it is not feminine at all and catches the attention of same sex friends who like both sexes to varying degrees, but I only do it because it feels like me and it is what I like.  :shrug:

I like the fact that the bike shorts thing was cleared up.  I always thought it was an odd match, but showing off her well developed legs...hm...

The part about not trying to appeal to a particular sexuality was also welcome confirmation because I was never clear if she wanted Utena to swing a particular way (hate that phrase, btw, but I use it), but stating it as just loving another person...that was refreshing to read, really. 

This whole short interview is remarkably inspirational for me and has made my week thus far.  Thank you again.  I'll ramble more later.

Last edited by spoon-san (02-15-2010 12:46:55 PM)

#3 | Back to Top02-15-2010 12:47:01 PM

Alexa
Anthy Assailer

spoon-san wrote:

omg, Alexa, thank you so much. poptart  I appreciate all the trouble you went through.

Oh, no problem, it wasn't a big deal (I didn't mean to imply, like, "LOOK AT ALL I HAVE DONE FOR YOU!").  I'd been wanting to find this for awhile, because I was so sure I'd saved it.  Even my 6th grade self knew, apparently, that this interview was super important and crucial stuff.

#4 | Back to Top02-15-2010 01:17:20 PM

Alexa
Anthy Assailer

spoon-san wrote:

...certain concepts resonate on a personal level.  I like how it is said that Utena wears the boy uniform not because she necessarily wants to be a guy or to attract a particular sex, but because she likes it.  It's always been that way with me.  I never minded wearing clothing of the opposite sex, within reason (due to a sense of security or insecurity and thus a personal comfort matter) and it was never because I wanted to be male or wanted to attract my own sex, but it was just a part of me.  And even now, if I'm wearing say a suit jacket and complimentary pants, I know it is not feminine at all and catches the attention of same sex friends who like both sexes to varying degrees, but I only do it because it feels like me and it is what I like.  :shrug:

I like the fact that the bike shorts thing was cleared up.  I always thought it was an odd match, but showing off her well developed legs...hm...

The part about not trying to appeal to a particular sexuality was also welcome confirmation because I was never clear if she wanted Utena to swing a particular way (hate that phrase, btw, but I use it), but stating it as just loving another person...that was refreshing to read, really. 

This whole short interview is remarkably inspirational for me and has made my week thus far.  Thank you again.  I'll ramble more later.

I think this interview was probably one of the reasons I've always viewed Utena with a very feminist slant.  I think some of the clearest and most important themes in SKU are about what it's like to deal with the traditional roles that women are pushed into, and how those roles affect us.

I really like the part about "just one human who loves another human," too.  It is very refreshing, especially because I think our society tends to view human sexuality in a very narrow way.  You're either one way, or you're the other (and maybe you're allowed bisexuality as a third option).  Even the Kinsey scale, although it's certainly better than most of what's out there, seems to view attraction as being determined first by sex and gender: i.e., people view only those in a certain categories as prospective partners, and how large that pool is depends on close the center of the scale they are.  I'm not saying that's wrong, but for me personally, I've always felt like I was attracted first and foremost to a whole person.  Of course, that person's sex, sexuality, and gender are all important parts of who they are, but they're just parts of a whole.  So it's nice to know that SKU was developed with an idea (something) like that in mind.

#5 | Back to Top02-16-2010 03:14:47 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

It is good to hear that Saito comes right out and says that she's didn't purposely want Utena to swing any one way.  "Human for human" is such an awesome concept. 
And it's just like Ikuhara to be perfectly quiet and secretive throughout almost the whole damn thing. ><

#6 | Back to Top02-16-2010 11:59:27 PM

minervana
High Tripper

This is wonderful. Thank you so much for posting it. etc-love and poptart

#7 | Back to Top02-17-2010 11:20:24 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

It's nice to get a long interview from her -- most of the interviews go to Ikuhara and he never says anything meaningful!  It's also nice to hear her perspective on the sexuality of the characters.

20 threads dead so far.

#8 | Back to Top02-22-2010 07:33:44 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

A late thank you but a sincere one all the same, thanks so much.

#9 | Back to Top01-10-2019 08:11:58 PM

Thorny Rose
New Student

Thank you for posting these valuable photos! I really like the answers they gave in the interview. school-eng101

Board footer