This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top12-05-2012 10:04:55 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Re: Is Utena your favorite anime? And what more do you like?

chevalierprincesse wrote:

Ah! I've watched a bit of Basara, but I stopped because Netflix kept bugging up on me every time I watched it.

But that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it! I've been thinking of picking it up again, actually.

Yes!  Someone who like Basara, finally!

If you can find a watcherable copy of it, do so!  It is well worth checking out.  It would be even better if you can find the complete manga too emot-dance

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#52 | Back to Top12-05-2012 10:28:37 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

...That manga is kinda long, isn't it?

Hmm, I don't remember if I posted here before, but yeah, Utena is my favorite.

I actually used to be more into manga. InuYasha was my first. emot-rolleyes Then my interest in anime/manga kinda ebbed, but there are still some shows I like besides SKU, including Evangelion (surprise!), Princess Tutu, Madoka and Welcome to the NHK. There are probably more, but those are the first ones I think about.

#53 | Back to Top05-18-2013 11:26:56 PM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

It my favorite anime overall despite it flaws, to me it the queen of Budget anime thanks to it artstyle and the ritualistic nature of duals compensates for their use of stock footage along with the operatic pieces that play throughout the duels which make them feel like scenes in a Musical/Opera.
Then there's the story which gets especially good around the 30th episode where the focus of the plot starts to move away from duels and more on developing the 3 main characters(Akio, Anthy and Utena herself) and things start to get convoluted in regards to Dios existence seriously It feels like that most of the plot in relation to Akio/Dios in the last 2 episode was written on fly for the sake of ambiguity but that aside I enjoyed the tv series despite it being longer then it should've been.

Theres other anime that I like personally like including Evangelion, Dragon ball, Gurren lagann and Hellsing Ultimate are ones that I enjoy overall.

Good question for for Fandom, do does anyone here think I could get into the Vision of Escaflowne as a fan of SKU, while the steampunk aesthetic is interesting and I heard good thing about it but I'm not a big fan of sunrises episodic efforts mainly Mobile Suit Gundam so is it worth watching its 39 episodes?

Edit: Sorry I meant 26 episode not 39 episodes.

Last edited by Rosesareawesome101 (05-19-2013 02:21:42 AM)

#54 | Back to Top05-19-2013 07:58:53 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I think there is quite a bit of crossover between SKU fans and Escaflowne fans, but Escaflowne is definitely a softer show than SKU.  Escaflowne is a lot less edgy, a lot sweeter, with more emphasis on gorgeous set pieces, more pure characters, and more romance.  It's a good show, but if your other tastes run towards Eva and Gurren Lagann I don't know if I can recommend Escaflowne, unless you feel like branching out!

#55 | Back to Top05-19-2013 08:21:32 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

satyreyes wrote:

I think there is quite a bit of crossover between SKU fans and Escaflowne fans, but Escaflowne is definitely a softer show than SKU.  Escaflowne is a lot less edgy, a lot sweeter, with more emphasis on gorgeous set pieces, more pure characters, and more romance.  It's a good show, but if your other tastes run towards Eva and Gurren Lagann I don't know if I can recommend Escaflowne, unless you feel like branching out!

Escaflowne . . . just the name of that brings back such nostalgic feels.

It was a very good show, with its strength lying more in aural components (music courtesy of the talented Yoko Kanno) than content (the old normal earth girl turns miko-who-finds-romance in an else-world plot-line, albeit rather well-executed).  I did recall enjoying one of the earlier fansubs, and the OSTs even more.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

Board footer