This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top01-22-2007 07:59:30 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: Reasons for being happy

She's gonna be recovering from surgery emot-frown

Hopefully emot-frown

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#27 | Back to Top01-22-2007 08:03:46 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Dani wrote:

The Washington DC subway is so super clean, very civilized. All the cars have comfortable padded seats and wall to wall carpet. Um, the New York subway was quite a shock for me, even though I'd heard about it.

Padded seating...?

Carpeting?

...what kind of weird voodoo subways do you people have up there??? I like my crowded noisy usually smelly and hot subway just fine, thankyouverymuch. emot-biggrin

Dani wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

But I'm crippled...
And apparently will be staying that way a lot longer than I'd planned.

Crippled?? What's up?

The whole thing is probably still fitting on the first page of my blog. This isn't the thread for it, suffice to say walking is really uncomfortable, sitting is really uncomfortable, laughing very hard is really uncomfortable...basically not optimal traveling conditions. emot-mad That really belongs in the whining thread in IFD...sorry.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#28 | Back to Top01-22-2007 08:05:54 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

We'll be pullin' for ya, Giovanna. You'll be AOK. Let us know if you need anything.

Edit: Yep, I read the blog, I just didn't realize the surgery was that soon.

Edit #2: As for the subways, we can't have congressional and White House staffers commuting to work everyday sitting in filthy conditions, can we? Nope, not done in DC. No homeless folk on the trains either although they are in the parks, but only certain parks. The subways and the stations are all air-conditioned (not in Rome though). And the trains are super efficient. Always on time.

Last edited by Dani (01-22-2007 08:12:56 PM)

#29 | Back to Top01-22-2007 08:21:29 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

*hugs to Giovanna*

I'm happy becuase in April I will be going to Disneyland. emot-danceemot-dance First trip for this year! Yay! I'm such a Disney ho. I got to Disneyland at least twice a year. It's one of the places I go to recharge and center myself. I know how odd that seems but there is something tremendously comforting sitting on a bench near Sleeping Beauty's Castle and people watching. As an added bonus my grrrl will be with me. And if there is one thing I like more than Disneyland it's showing someone who hasn't been at the park for a while around and expelling all the useless Disneyland knowledge I have on someone who hasn't heard it from me about a million times. Plus I can tell all the stories from the things at Disneyland that traumatized me when I was little. emot-biggrin

Okay I'll stop being a goober.
But I'm so happy... girlfriend and Disneyland what could be better.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#30 | Back to Top01-22-2007 08:45:21 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Nessy wrote:

(But the whole system is probably fairly similar and I probably will be really disappointed when I actually do ride the NYC subway...oh well.)

The NYC subway has a culture all its own, unless you're blind, stupid, or wearing an iPod, it's hard to think it's like anything else. emot-smile

The L has a special culture too, but unless you actually live in Chicago no one ever talks about it. emot-frown It's really disappointing, so I think I'm a little bitter.

#31 | Back to Top01-22-2007 09:14:05 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Giovanna wrote:

morosemocha wrote:

Chelsea Market, Grand Central Station, Murray's Cheese Shop, Pannochli

Holy shit you win. The problem with Chelsea Market is not having a kitchen to cook in. emot-gonk

Usually we stay with family out in Oyster Bay, so kitchen isn't much of a problem. When we stay in the city we stay at this awesome little hotel called The Shelbourne Murray Hill, over on Lexington. It's fantastic, 'cause it's in a residential area, so it doesn't feel touristy, but the staff is amazingly helpful (I work in hospitality, and I was impressed with them, so that's something).  But our rooms at the Shelbourne have always had a little galley kitchen. It's also incredibly reasonable. I figured it's be around 700 a night for what you get, but it's between 195-400 depending on season.  If you want a great place to stay, that's totally totally it.

Giovanna wrote:

Also, Saloomi...is that by any chance the place Batali's dad runs?

it is! Tony Bourdain did a special on the PACNW, and went there -apparantly he and Batali are really close friends. I missed the first part of it, but I tuned in to see him at this orgasmic looking deli, decided I had to go there, and then Tony was like "Yeah, Mario started here when he was a kid blah blah blah etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl" And I went HOLYWTFOMG?!

Potential NYC IRG meet

I wouldn't be going till june or july, anyway, and I don't even know if I can get the vacation time. emot-frown Knowing my luck, probably not.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#32 | Back to Top01-22-2007 09:37:42 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Alithea & Dani wrote:

etc-love

Thanks. It sucks, I'm getting a nice tour of the health care field from the wrong direction and I really hate what I see.

Nessy wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

The NYC subway has a culture all its own, unless you're blind, stupid, or wearing an iPod, it's hard to think it's like anything else. emot-smile

The L has a special culture too, but unless you actually live in Chicago no one ever talks about it. emot-frown It's really disappointing, so I think I'm a little bitter.

Ooooo, well do tell! Underground culture of any kind is cool.

morosemocha wrote:

Usually we stay with family out in Oyster Bay, so kitchen isn't much of a problem. When we stay in the city we stay at this awesome little hotel called The Shelbourne Murray Hill, over on Lexington. It's fantastic, 'cause it's in a residential area, so it doesn't feel touristy, but the staff is amazingly helpful (I work in hospitality, and I was impressed with them, so that's something).  But our rooms at the Shelbourne have always had a little galley kitchen. It's also incredibly reasonable. I figured it's be around 700 a night for what you get, but it's between 195-400 depending on season.  If you want a great place to stay, that's totally totally it.

Aww, but does it have this?
NWSNWSNWS
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/ … cemore.jpg
The room I stay in.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/ … G_0391.jpg
Hallway. cool

For about 100bux a night, handpainted walls. cool cool cool I love that hotel. etc-love It's also like a ten minute walk from the one you stay at! (Gramercy) You walk out the door and immediately a great pizza place, and a couple blocks north and you hit one of the best restaurants I've been to. Mmmm. Bamiyan.

morosemocha wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

Also, Saloomi...is that by any chance the place Batali's dad runs?

it is! Tony Bourdain did a special on the PACNW, and went there -apparantly he and Batali are really close friends. I missed the first part of it, but I tuned in to see him at this orgasmic looking deli, decided I had to go there, and then Tony was like "Yeah, Mario started here when he was a kid blah blah blah etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl" And I went HOLYWTFOMG?!

school-devil Why do you think I asked? I watch No Reservations religiously. Today's episode was just WOW. I admire Tony's ability to grin and chew through anything. He acts like a hardass but his heart's in the right place when it comes to graciously accepting what people are willing to share with you. He ate damn near raw pretty much uncleaned warthog anus. Godspeed, Bourdain. Godspeed. school-chef

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#33 | Back to Top01-23-2007 01:28:00 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Well I'm not much of an iPod fan myself, I got myself an iRiver T10.  Its sounds great, I can hang it around my neck, it can take a lot of punishment and I can use AA batteries instead of having to send away for a new iPod.  That's makes me reasonably happy.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/T10.jpg

#34 | Back to Top01-23-2007 01:31:26 AM

Dematrah
Ruthless Deflorist

Hmm...I'm happy because after my last computer up and DIED on me, I bought my new computer piece by piece, paycheck to paycheck. And now it has spiffy graphics and awesome sound. The only thing that I didn't buy myself is the monitor that mom didn't want. I'm so happy with it! And I know it's kinda...stupid!nerdy, but the power supply and motherboard have spiffy LED's and make it light up through the see-through side of the tower case. emot-dance

Downside is, my uncle (lives next door) is doing what he did with the last one and raping it with his stupid cb radio. emot-mad

"We want beans, not goals." - Anon.

#35 | Back to Top01-23-2007 08:51:58 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I got something very cool in the mail yesterday! (YOU PEOPLE KEEP SENDING ME THINGS. emot-aaa WHY DO YOU LOVE ME SO MUCH??? I'll just hurt you in the end, baby...) Also State of the Union tonight. Which is a huge orgy of bullshit unless you like studying body language. Then it's just plain fun. emot-biggrin (Although not as fun as the Q&A sessions he does with the White House press. Those are just masturbatory. In very Akio kind of way. I love watching Bush freak out. etc-wankgirl)

#36 | Back to Top01-23-2007 08:58:29 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

emot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

MY MIDTERMS ARE OVER!!! YESS!!!!!

emot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

THAT MAKES ME VERY VERY HAPPY!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#37 | Back to Top01-23-2007 09:01:03 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Giovanna wrote:

I got something very cool in the mail yesterday! (YOU PEOPLE KEEP SENDING ME THINGS. emot-aaa WHY DO YOU LOVE ME SO MUCH??? I'll just hurt you in the end, baby...) Also State of the Union tonight. Which is a huge orgy of bullshit unless you like studying body language. Then it's just plain fun. emot-biggrin (Although not as fun as the Q&A sessions he does with the White House press. Those are just masturbatory. In very Akio kind of way. I love watching Bush freak out. etc-wankgirl)

You must be the only person in the world who would admit to masturbation that in any way, shape, form or fashion, involves Bush.

The President, I mean.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#38 | Back to Top01-23-2007 09:04:41 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Giovanna wrote:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/103_sm.jpg

etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love

Whatever it is, it looks yum! school-chef I want!

I'm happy 'cause tomorrow I'm finally going to see the doctor! Whoooo! I've been waiting for about 3 weeks now, and that's not very fun if your condition keeps getting worse and worse. emot-gonk

Heh, maybe I can even sleep well this week! emot-keke

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#39 | Back to Top01-23-2007 09:09:08 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

hyacinth_black wrote:

MY MIDTERMS ARE OVER!!! YESS!!!!!

Ah, I do love that feeling. Congrats! emot-keke

morosemocha wrote:

You must be the only person in the world who would admit to masturbation that in any way, shape, form or fashion, involves Bush.

Hah! Well since it's sadistic glee in his suffering and not even remotely sexual attraction to him, I figure I'm safe. It's like pulling the tail off a lizard. Except the lizard is doing it to himself. And you're turned on.

I'm just making this worse, huh. emot-frown

Edit: emot-gonk Maarika you've never had cannoli oh god emot-gonk

I can't ship that to you, and I can't even get them where I live. emot-mad Let it be your first order of business if you ever go to NYC or Sicily. Probably NY, since Sicily is considered the redneck south of Italy. Sorry Sey, but you know it's true. emot-frown emot-frown

Ahem. Anyway, they're fried shells of dough filled with a sweet cheese filling that usually has chocolate chips or pieces of candied fruit or whatever in it. Made properly, they're like sex. Otherwise they taste like glue.Also there's no way to eat them without looking like you're engaged in oral sex with the cannoli.

But then...you are. etc-wankgirl

And hugs for you. Seeing doctors and being sick sucks all over the world! emot-mad

Last edited by Giovanna (01-23-2007 09:13:21 AM)

#40 | Back to Top01-23-2007 11:45:51 AM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

What's in a canoli?  They look... interesting.

As for being asked by people for directions when you're visitng a place as well, I don't have that, but anytime I'm out buying stuff at another store for work, I'm ALWAYS asked by random customer X if I work at that particular stroe.   Sometimes it happens more than once.  it really was annoying when I went Christmas decoration shopping at Big Lots.  i had to have been aksed about four times.  Maybe I just give off that manager vibe - which is rerally, really despressing.  it's bad enough I have to actively try to not look at any restaurant I walk into with a manager's eye and note the things that need fixed.  I believe it terribly amuses my grrl.

I still find it interesting that even though I've never been to NYC, never really had any interest in going for reasons other than Broadway, I do have this very beautiful picture of a fountain in Central park in winter at night with this blueish purple filter over it framed and hung on my wall.  It's gorgeous.  Maybe I'll be ambitious enough to take a pic of it for you all.

As for my happy contribution: I somehow mananged to make bonus this last quarter.  Yay for money I had no idea I was getting.  And I get to go to Disneyland for Easter.  It's been 15-17 years since I was at Disneyland and 12 since I've been to Disneyworld.  Should be interesting and fun.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#41 | Back to Top01-23-2007 12:38:31 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Ooo... I have an iRiver too. It's not as shiny, has a broken screen, is missing the battery lid and successfully connects to the computer every 50th time (I think it's a design flaw), but I still have it. I also have an iPod, but I sorta regret buying it. >:

I'm happy because I don't have German class tomorow, thus I don't have to break my ass studying tonight, just because the teacher had PMS and decided to give me an F for the half semestar. Oh, right! Happy thoughts... And I'm going to the nuclear power plant Krško tomorow! I figured an opertunity like that doesn't come every day. n_n Also, the teachers won't be able to give me any grades that day. Yay!

#42 | Back to Top01-23-2007 12:59:55 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Nessy wrote:

We just have the L here, which does actually go underground also but everyone pretends it doesn't? No one calls it the subway during those bits, regardless. (But the whole system is probably fairly similar and I probably will be really disappointed when I actually do ride the NYC subway...oh well.)

I am endlessly amused by the fact that although it is called []The London Underground[/i] roughly about sixty percent of it is ABOVE ground. And actually, it scared the shit out of me the day I went to Hammersmith and I saw daylight. "What, what...um...this is the UNDERGROUND still, right?" I love being looked at like I'm crazy by Londoners. ...I just love London, really. emot-biggrin

And Maarika, I hope you get to the doctor soon. I'm happy because I saw mine yesterday and he was wonderful and gave me a script for something I would never have gotten at home in a million years (because of its expense; the NHS being so much bigger than PHARMAC means that I can have it here in the UK WHOO). Hopefully this means I stop falling over for no reason. emot-dance

And man, if anyone wants to go to New York when Gio is better, I am SO there. As long as I have enough notice, I am sure I can get over at any point. emot-tongue

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#43 | Back to Top01-23-2007 01:32:15 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Dematrah wrote:

And I know it's kinda...stupid!nerdy, but the power supply and motherboard have spiffy LED's and make it light up through the see-through side of the tower case. emot-dance

It is NOT stupid! ...okay so it might be a little nerdy but I have three computers like that so I guess I'm the ultra-nerd.

Giovanna wrote:

I got something very cool in the mail yesterday! (YOU PEOPLE KEEP SENDING ME THINGS. emot-aaa WHY DO YOU LOVE ME SO MUCH??? I'll just hurt you in the end, baby...)

So, are you gonna share? And yes, sorry, we're still gonna keep sending you stuff.

Giovanna wrote:

Also State of the Union tonight. Which is a huge orgy of bullshit unless you like studying body language. Then it's just plain fun. emot-biggrin (Although not as fun as the Q&A sessions he does with the White House press. Those are just masturbatory. In very Akio kind of way. I love watching Bush freak out.

You know I'm all over that. The more he freaks, the bigger my shit-eating grin gets. Today, he has the lowest poll numbers of his presidency. Only two presidents in history have ever had comparably low numbers.

#44 | Back to Top01-23-2007 08:21:00 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Clarice wrote:

Nessy wrote:

We just have the L here, which does actually go underground also but everyone pretends it doesn't? No one calls it the subway during those bits, regardless. (But the whole system is probably fairly similar and I probably will be really disappointed when I actually do ride the NYC subway...oh well.)

I am endlessly amused by the fact that although it is called []The London Underground[/i] roughly about sixty percent of it is ABOVE ground. And actually, it scared the shit out of me the day I went to Hammersmith and I saw daylight. "What, what...um...this is the UNDERGROUND still, right?" I love being looked at like I'm crazy by Londoners. ...I just love London, really. emot-biggrin

Yeah, and here it's called the L (short for "elevated train system") but the blue line and the red line both go below ground gratuitously? And the brown line definitely isn't elevated after a chunk of the north side + the Loop? Unsolved mysteries.

Giovanna wrote:

Nessy wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

Ooooo, well do tell! Underground culture of any kind is cool.

It's not really an underground culture, I might have been exagerating a bit by calling it a culture at all. It just has a certain feel and community. I think a lot of it is based around the fact that Chicagoans really, really, really love their city. In general, we are really sentimental. So we really build up the train system to everyone else, then sit around and complain about it to each other. (Usually with this weird kind of love-hate undertone.) It's usually late, overcrowded, breaks down too often, smells like pee, has lots of unfriendly people on it who would rather be in cars, and there are sunflower seed shells scattered under most of the seats. But! Sometimes the train conductors are sweethearts (I remember once one of them read off the next stop, then proceeded to announce what the weather was and advised that "y'all have a nice hot cup of wine by the fireplace after work tonight, it's gonna be snowin'") or sometimes there will be lovely people (I seem to recall a man making newspaper hats for everyone in the car, once) and there's a bat hibernating in the stop near my eyeglasses place! There's also a lot of dorky, inside jokes that people make? Like how when you get to the Chicago street stop the train goes "This is Chicago" (and of course everyone is like "YEAH DUH") or at the Grand street stop it says "This is Grand" which is basically charming. Although they changed it recently to "This is Chicago and Franklin" and "This is Grand and State" so it's not quite as cute anymore. emot-frown

.......um. Yeah. As I said, we're a sentimental bunch. emot-gonk

Stories and things that will help you get a much clearer idea than what I'm capable of presenting: http://community.livejournal.com/chicago_el/

Oh! Also! Other thing that I am happy about! I am going to Paris over spring break!

#45 | Back to Top01-23-2007 08:32:20 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Um... angelicreation will you be my new manager? That would be something to be happy about... my manager sucks.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#46 | Back to Top01-23-2007 10:00:20 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Clarice wrote:

And man, if anyone wants to go to New York when Gio is better, I am SO there. As long as I have enough notice, I am sure I can get over at any point. emot-tongue

I'm a compulsive planner, you'll get plenty of notice. Consider it ON. cool We'll go see a taping of TDS, promise. emot-smile

Dani wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

I got something very cool in the mail yesterday! (YOU PEOPLE KEEP SENDING ME THINGS. emot-aaa WHY DO YOU LOVE ME SO MUCH??? I'll just hurt you in the end, baby...)

So, are you gonna share? And yes, sorry, we're still gonna keep sending you stuff.

I don't know what the etiquette is for this sort of thing so I try not to say much...but I guess screw that! Consider this my public thank you the awesome monitor. :hug: I use the new deskspace to hide my textbooks and pretend I'm not supposed to be reading them. emot-biggrin As for the gift in question...leather cuffs. emot-dance (Is it rude to say who got them for me? I DON'T KNOW HOW THIS WORKS, I'm not used to getting gifts. emot-gonk)

My mother nagged me into saying what they were...I think she thinks it was like a joke or a showpiece or something. emot-frown

Dani wrote:

You know I'm all over that. The more he freaks, the bigger my shit-eating grin gets. Today, he has the lowest poll numbers of his presidency. Only two presidents in history have ever had comparably low numbers.

I was disappointed, his body language was rather well-controlled. I suspect it's smugness related to knowing the Democrats are fucking themselves in their own asses thinking the country is ready for a female or black president. emot-frown

Nessy wrote:

Coolness

See see see! I love subways. I think something about them just kinda breeds a community or a culture about them you won't get elsewhere, and no city is going to leave you with quite the same result. etc-love

#47 | Back to Top01-23-2007 11:08:48 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

And here I thought you weren't going to say anything about the cuffs.  Tsk, tsk, Giovanna.  Now your grand plan to take over the bedroom has the potential to be spoiled. 

But I have faith your target shall play along anyways. emot-wink

Oh, if anyone else is potantially interested in high quality, handmade, customizeable, AFFORDABLE leather cuffs, there will be an IFD thread for them.  I'm just waiting on the craftsman's word of approval, so-to-speak.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#48 | Back to Top01-23-2007 11:36:00 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

All right, I'm also now waiting on the word of approval. Proper cuffs are a must-have, and mine suck. To go into anymore detail would mean moving to IFD.

And my request still stands. And you'd benefit too, being here.

#49 | Back to Top01-23-2007 11:53:56 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Okay, waiting list for cuffs:

1. Shatteredmirror

As for your request... whereas I might benefirt from ebing in California, given my grrlfriend's location, I don't want to live in California.  it's too damn expensive there.  And I like my snow and mountains.  Though I'm curious where you work now.

#50 | Back to Top01-23-2007 11:56:49 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Hm, you make an excellent point. Perhaps I should relocate to Colorado.

Board footer