This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top06-20-2013 11:53:17 AM

Jajuka
New Student

Re: 10 Questions For Utena Fans

Posting from my phone-so I might miss stuff or have errors.

1. Why did you start reading/watching Revolutionary Girl Utena?
I can not recall precisely how it all came about. I heard whispers about this anime and avoided it as much as possible. One of my friends mentioned the movie a few times to me and said I should watch it, it's beautiful. So I think one day 2007 I watched the movie. Needless to say it did not spark my interest. Some cool things but very bizarre. Then in 2008 I ended up having the Funimation channel for a small block of time a night. They were running SKU, it came on at a perfect time afterwork too- so I said "Eh whatever, I'll try this show out." Ha, didn't take me long to get hooked- I realized later on I should have watched the show 1st and not the movie. Strange though- the movie ruined none of the show because I had forgotten most of the story due to the fact that I didn't understand it. I'm glad I watched the show when I did because if I had watched while I was younger it would have had a negtive effect on me and in no way I would have appreciated it.

2. Which character would you have sex with and why?

(Everyone is of age or older) When I 1st finished the show it was Anthy (most likely still is) but now at this moment I feel I want to say Utena. Feels strange to say that. Why? I have no other reasons than I like her strength and playfulness. I just wonder how she would be in bed. I think the Akio situation was not a fair assessment.
Side note: As for the reason for Anthy she has experience and probably knows more things than I do. I think she is a major seducer and is probably better than her brother in bed.

3.Your favorite pairing and why!

Ah, has to be Utena and Anthy. When ever they actually get an unspoiled moment together it was like a breath of fresh air. They have a wonderful dynamic.
The close 2nd is Juri and Shiori only because of its tragic and tense nature makes them very interesting.

4. If someone offered you a video tape of your favorite pairing doing romantic things (sex, fluff, whatever) what would you do to get it?

Ah for Utena and Anthy we almost have that (the movie) but I think I'd do nothing, not interested.
Juri and Shiori I MIGHT pay some fee, like I said very tense and tragic.

5. What would you do if you found yourself magically whisked away to the universe of Ohtori Academy?

Granted I retained all knowledge of the place; become Utena's and Anthy's close friend, join the fencing club and try to get on the student councel, enter in the duels and TRY to avoid the Chairman at all cost even though as a duelist I'm under his power. I think I'd come up with a plan to over throw him. Wow I have a feeling that I would not make it out of that school, but what a battle it would be. No regrets.

6. What song do you think fits your favourite character/pairing?

Unlike other animes where I normally have an outside (beyond the OST) that fits characters and situations, I have none for this. Hikari Sasu Niwa/The Sunlit Garden plays every time I think of them.

7. What would your duelling rose color be, and why?
Royal Blue. It's my fav color and to me a color of integrity. Yet blue also carries a well known sorrowful theme.
Suits me well.

8. Are you a prince, a duellist, or a rose bride?
All 3, but more predominantly a prince. If you knew me in real life you'd say a prince or duelist. I'm more half and half really. I feel a prince needs to be a duelist as well to deal with their own problems.
I'm the least a rose bride but my life on the surface shows I've been very passive and submissive in dealing with family. To the point you watch yourself back down from goals in life because of the grasp they hold over you. By nature I'm not that but moreso pushed into that role.

9. Is there any situation in RGU that is similar to something you might have experienced?

Ah my life has been as complex and slightly twisted as some of the plots in the series- nothing exact. Much more of it happened after college than in high school or college.
I relate to Juri (relationship probs) and Utena (nobility) the most.

10. Do you think waffles will make Saiyonji smile?
No, most likely he'd disapprove.

Last edited by Jajuka (06-20-2013 11:56:16 AM)

#102 | Back to Top06-20-2013 12:40:37 PM

The_Lame_Goat
Rose Smilee

I was watching Jesu Otaku's Top 20 Most Deliciously Evil Villians and Akio popped up and promptly dragged me into his car to show me the series.

Akio. Shameless, I know. But ever since I was little I had a thing for dark skinned characters with light colored hair. (It started with Marik Ishtar and went downhill from there)

I have two actually. The obvious one is Utena/Anthy because they are just so sweet together and the lengths to which Utena goes to save Anthy, and Anthy setting out to do the same just breaks my heart. The other is Akio/Touga because let's face it those two whores deserve each other.

4. If someone offered you a video tape of your favorite pairing doing romantic things (sex, fluff, whatever) what would you do to get it?

I'd ask them nicely for it. emot-smile

5. What would you do if you found yourself magically whisked away to the universe of Ohtori Academy?

Freak out and desperately try to find a boy's uniform so I don't have to deal with those hideous poofy sleeves.

6. What song do you think fits your favorite character/pairing?

Umm... A Thousand Years for Utena/Anthy? I can't think of one for Akio and Touga without picturing them dancing horrendously to it.

7. What would your dueling rose color be, and why?

Some sort of faded blue, worn with age. Symbolizing the emotional wear and tear I've dealt with.

8. Are you a prince, a duelist, or a rose bride? (Interpret this question any way you want.)

Duelist. My mother would force me to join the council, I'm sure.

9. Is there any situation in RGU that is similar to something you might have experienced?

Utena and her inspiring but corrupted "prince". I used to look up to someone, thought the world of them, but things happened and they became someone dark and distant.

They better. I made them myself. emot-mad

Oh treachery!

#103 | Back to Top06-12-2016 01:14:42 AM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Fellow nerds in the 90's kept talking about how awesome it is. Years later, after streaming finally became a viable thing, I concurred.

Oddly enough, Touga. I don't usually swing that way but I have this morbid curiosity of what Akio taught him.

Utena/Wakaba. No need to explain my reasoning. The show does that for me.

I never really considered Utena and Wakaba cuddling or how it would play out. But, now that it's in my head, I find myself fascinated by it. In an academic sense, of course. Yes, purely academic. No emotional attachment whatso-- What's that behind you!?! *snatch*

Crap... Where can I find a VCR in this day and age?

Return to high school mode and try to find the chess club. People are scary.

Can't think what that would be. So I'll instead note a couple songs that work for some other pairings.

Utena/Anthy: Muse - The Undisclosed Desires in Your Heart

Utena/Akio: The Sunday Buckets - Personality

I'm definitely not one of the special people of Ohtori. If anything, I'd be singled out as a Black Rose duelist, an incidental side character whose desires are twisted to Nemuro's bidding.

8. Are you a prince, a duelist, or a rose bride? (Interpret this question any way you want.)

I suppose I identify most with a rose bride. Keep your head down. Don't make waves. Just say yes and maybe people will like you. At least until it builds up and inevitably explodes in a soggy mess of emotion.

Having been bullied in high school, I always find myself empathizing with Anthy every time the girls accuse her of causing harm to Saionji or Touga or Miki or whomever else. I've been there enough times that her situation is pretty familiar.

The times when I'd had enough and made my sorry flailing attempts at fighting back wound up being turned around on me to become justification for the way I'd been treated before, and reason to continue doing so from then on. It's never like those after school specials where the wimpy kid stands his ground and frightens off the bullies. When your usual MO is to grin and bear it, and you're outnumbered besides, doing that only makes things worse. In the end, there's nothing you can do to escape the cycle except count the days to graduation.

10. Do you think waffles will make Saiyonji smile? etc-saiowank

You'd think he'd prefer something more savoury like fried eggs.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#104 | Back to Top06-12-2016 01:17:05 PM

CarolineWellwater
Mikage Mistruster

(( Hey all,

Here are some thoughts from me:

Well, at the time I started, it was one of the pathfinder shows that had arrived over in the States, and was easily found at places like Suncoast Video and Blockbuster.  (And, yes, I know I'm dating myself.)

I'm not sure I'd want to answer this.  Though... I would have to say either Nanami or Wakaba.  Of all the characters in the show, these two always had that more substantial feeling of being... well... real.

I don't really have one.  I kinda enjoyed what I felt was the "official" parring of Utena and Athny

Hrm... I'm not sure.  I don't have a VHS or Beta player anymore... and I lost my LD player in the move so... WOW!  Is that the Blimp!

Have a really, Really, REALLY bad case of "Dangerously Genre Savvy"... and then probably have my predication fall upon un-hearing ears.

Going to date myself here again, but... Superstition by Stevie Wonder

Silver.  Non-descript enough to be overlooked... but shiny enough to have its own allure.

A duelist.  Especially if I get to be dangerously genre savvy.  Though... I get this whole sort of Mad Hatter feel all of the sudden.  "Forgetting is just forgettin'... except when it's not... and then they call it something else."

I dunno.  This is one of those odd questions that... somehow seems familiar.  But, for me, Utena sits too much in the dreamscape... or dreamquest that it's hard to pin down to something that actually happened to me. 

Hrm... he seems more like a fruit-pancake kinda guy to me. ))

#105 | Back to Top06-12-2016 09:21:56 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

It was a combination of my quest for yuri-themed anime and because SKU is often compared to NGE, an anime that means a lot to me.

Mikage. Even Nemuro, actually, but more Mikage. As to why, it has a lot to do with the cool self-possession and poised intelligence laced with just enough a veneer of danger to make it truly attractive.

A bit against all odss I don't actually have one, at least not dor the series. I love movie!Utena/movie!Anthy, though.

I may not have a favorite pairing but I'd kill for some footage of precisely went on those naked, rolling around the bed sessions with Akio, Touga and Saionji.

I am not sure, actually, perhaps become a Shadow Girl given I'd be a meta-character, in a sense? Kashira, kashira.

Akio/Anthy: Katatonia- The Parting

Saionj/Wakaba: Marina & The Diamonds- Lies

Anthy/Utena: Stephanie- Friends

Mikage: Katatonia- Dissolving Bonds

Anthy: Garbage- Use Me

Purple. I always had a deep affinity to purple.

A duelist. I distrust princely characters almost as much as I distrust overly passive individuals.

Not so much any particular situation but the themes resonate with my life.

Did Anthy make them? If so then yes, until he actually takes a bite of them. Then...not so much.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (06-12-2016 09:40:58 PM)

#106 | Back to Top06-13-2016 02:01:48 PM

Astrinde
Tenjou Tilter
Website

I had friends who fell in love with the show and decided to cosplay as duelists, so they loaned me their tapes and gave me strict instructions to watch at least through the seventh episode so that I'd know "my" character: "the girl with orange hair" who looked, behaved, and spoke just like me...

...and now I'm espousing the ultimate masturbation if I say "Juri," aren't I? even though I do find something compelling in her painfully noble despair.  My other choice would be Nemuro, because I dig unstable genius and glam rock style.

3. Your favorite pairing and why!
Mikage/Mamiya moves me much for the twisted tragedy aspect.  But I most adore Utena/Anthy, an authentic and beautiful bloom that emerged from the trials of Ohtori Academy.

I'd hold up my copy of the Utena movie and smile as I replied, "thanks, but I've already got one!"

That'd depend on whether or not I retained my current age and knowledge or arrived there an ignorant and vulnerable teenager.  In either case I feel the correct answer would be "avoid Nanami."

I can never decide upon music for Utena/Anthy, but my favourite song for Mikage/Mamiya is Azam Ali's "Endless Reverie".

Purple, the colour of royalty.  What constitutes truly noble or regal behaviour has always been of great concern to me.

My personality combines traits of all three.

I went to India once.  There was a surprising lack of surfing elephants.

10. Do you think waffles will make Saionji smile?
I imagine Saionji reacting to waffles with a wan almost-smile that somehow conveys both vague appreciation and contempt, then eating them to confirm that yes, the world operates as it should whenever others serve him things.  But really, he knows all along that crateriform pancakes won't heal the deep fracture of his soul.

#107 | Back to Top06-15-2016 12:23:49 AM

swordclash
New Student

I'm bored and I'm new here, so...

I knew it was a classic, and a classic with yuri elements no less, so I always felt sort of obligated to watch it. I put it off for a while because the aged art style and character designs were kind of a turn-off (they've really grown on me since then) and I'd had less than stellar experiences with anime classics before. Much to my surprise, I was hooked by the first episode.

If I were looking for really emotional sex, probably Juri. Aside from that, probably Akio, hehe.

3. Your favorite pairing and why!
Juri/Shiori. I could write volumes about why I love their broken (but in my opinion, ultimately redeemed) relationship so much. They're both head over heels for each other, but they're both so messed up that they end up breaking each other's hearts instead of being together. Oh, the tragedy. 

I would kill, there is not enough Juri/Shiori content out there! 

Join the fencing club, work my ass off to impress Juri-sempai, become a duelist, hook up with Akio...

Hmm, maybe "Stuck" by Stacie Orrico. Honestly, a lot of pop songs about unfulfilled love work for them.

I don't know, indigo is a cool color?

Definitely a duelist. I have so many problems in my life and I would totally be one of those fighting for something eternal, that which shines, the power of miracles.

I can't recall any situations but there are some locations at my college that scream UTENA to me

Give it blueberry eyes, a syrup smile, and kelp for the hair. Ta-da! It's you, Saionji! emot-biggrin

#108 | Back to Top06-15-2016 03:08:41 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

You know, I feel like most of the characters would be in for a rough time on entry to the real world, but judging by the amount of play Juri would be getting, I think she'd fare better than most. emot-rofl

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#109 | Back to Top06-22-2016 03:57:53 PM

maridaberri
Miki Molester

I was looking on youtube for a show about a pink-haired girl and I found Utena.

Miki, if he's an adult, because he's not a creepy jerk. Otherwise... Akio cause he's probably great in bed. etc-wankgirl

Touga and Saionji mostly because of their amusing scenes towards the end of the series. Two of my favorite interactions they had were them on the motorcycle and bicycle.

I wouldn't. That seems wrong emot-aaa

Try to escape as quickly as possible before shit goes down.

For Touga and Saionji, "Graduation (Friends Forever)" by Vitamin C emot-rofl

Pink or Yellow. They're my favorite colors!

I think I'm all three at times but I try to be a prince.

Every time I make a big change in life or travel I feel like Anthy when she leaves the Ohtori academy.

There's a 50/50 change. He's a bit unpredictable.

Last edited by maridaberri (06-22-2016 03:59:22 PM)

#110 | Back to Top03-11-2017 07:29:28 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Bumping, because I want our new people to answer for my reading pleasure and because five years on and... holy shit me/my brain...

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

When I was that age: I woulda pursued Juri (hopelessly) in the laziest way possible.

If they were my age: Judging by who I do sleep with, Shiori's ranking pretty high here. (In the best ways, naturally.)

I really really wanted Wakaba and Siao to work out for the best, and I guess not being with Saionji and Saio being alone might be considered for the best.

Shipping: Utena/Shiori. I think they'd make each other step up and mature faster and more reasonably than the hypocrites that are yet lionized, Anthy and Juri. They're a lot alike and they're both trapped by the image of themselves as victim-overcoming, and as the one who must prove themselves, the child-leader in a relationship. Putting that against itself is good frisson (and they have the best hair).

Plus, it's frees up Anthy and Juri (and Touga), who're better as free agents.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#111 | Back to Top03-11-2017 09:06:00 PM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

I'm not sure if I answered these or not before, but sure I'll take a shot!

Pretty sure it was a suggestion from my sister, and judging from the few bits of analysis I ended up taking a look at, it seemed interesting.

Uh... ummm? Not really anyone, just because I don't want to risk getting involved in too much drama. Though I'd be curious about Akio, even though it's a terrible, terrible idea...

I support Utena and Anthy on a "they deserve to be together again in any positive form" level, but Touga and Saionji, just for the fact that they are literally a melodramatic treat to watch them on screen together. Also Wakaba/Saionji hurts so good...

I don't know, ask? To be honest, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable being that close to secretly finding out practical strangers's personal lives like that. But I do know that literally asking them if I could check it out would make everyone feel weird. That includes Touga most likely inviting me for their next tryst. Oh, you know he'd do that.

After the shock of being poofed into a high school and having to deal with feeling old, I might sort of check out the architecture a bit. It definitely seems like Ohtori would be impressive to say the least to see with your own, real eyes. Also, I'd probably be in the library for a while, just to see what sort of books they have.
I'm not sure if the universe would be symbolically drawn to me enough so my emotional issues manifest themselves physically, but it'd be worth it to find out if it was.

Huh... I'm honestly drawing a bit of a blank here. Though I'd say Cruel by Thomas Dolby might work for Wakaba and Saionji a bit.

Maybe a chartreuse? To put it bluntly, it's a pretty awkward color for a rose to be, and I'd be a pretty awkward duelist. Though, being in between yellow and green isn't that bad, if it meant I'd be a wild card among wild cards.

I'd say a duelist trying to fight against their rose bride-equse tendencies.

Oh boy, I relate to Wakaba a lot more than I should, just to say the least.

Short answer, probably not. He'd probably be more confused than anything else, but I'd figure he'd appreciate the carbs.

#112 | Back to Top03-12-2017 02:28:01 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I saw penguindrum first and thought it was cool and so I watched utena(the reason why I watched penguindrum first is because I had a weird scare out of the 39 episode tag in 9th grade...)

Touga. I wouldn't mind a threesome with him and Saionji, but Touga all the way. Also Akio because I am weak... emot-frown

Utena/Anthy is an obvious choice, but also Touga/Saionji and Mikage/Mamiya. And latley I have been shipping Ruka/Juri and Wakab/Shiori (They seem to be able to emotionally support each other for a strange reason to me)

4. If someone offered you a video tape of your favorite pairing doing romantic things (sex, fluff, whatever) what would you do to get it

pay them money... Or work for them, that can work too.

Sex with Akio and if I could Touga. Then become a duelist, And try to escape the place. Or turn into a car and let Touga ride it, that could be fun emot-wink

מלכת השוש� י�   Aka the queen of the roses by yael ben zaken for Anthy. Kind of fits the idea that people have of Anthy and has some lines that reference how she feels.

Magenta, cause Im a too much of a lazy butt and i feel people dont connect with me, but im also very loving and balanced as a person

Not sure, but here is me in those roles

prince: I'd be that nice guy type pf prince who would help everyone, but only for his own prince image, making me a false prince

duelist: Id be kind of like Juri and Miki, as in an innocent person who is in denyl of growing up while being afraid of my secrets and the fear of people knowing about it. Id fight for the belief that people wont need to grow if they can be at peace in othori.

Rose bride: I would be that guy that gets thrown around just because people think he has no emotions, even tho he does show them.

... Not really, but I kind of get Juri and her struggles with unrequited love, which I sadly suffer from.

10. Do you think waffles will make Saiyonji smile? etc-saiowank
Only if fed to him by Touga (wait, that will make me happy, not him... oh well etc-wankdude)

Last edited by itavin (03-12-2017 02:29:13 PM)

If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

#113 | Back to Top03-13-2017 08:37:10 AM

Revolutionary
Saionji Slapper

I'm into subversive magical girl stories, and I've heard about RGU being really weird and cool, but I don't watch much anime, so I was really skeptical on trying it. I saw the first vol of the manga in the library, so I read it and thought it was alright. Then I forgot about it, but then I saw the dub on my fake-Netflix Tubi Tv, and I fell in love over the next six weeks. I don't regret it at all (yes, even watching the dub over the sub).

I don't like thinking about myself in sexual situations at all. Probably 'cause I'm still a minor.

Honestly, I like everything. The drama, what goes unspoken, the subtext, I think i support everything that can be reasonably supported by the show.

If it had the same rating as the show (as in not pornographic), I might pay for it, it's more content after all.

I'd probably stalk everyone with not-brown hair and troll them as well as befriend them. I'd stay away from the chairman though.

I don't listen to a lot of music, but while it's not my fave pairing (don't have one) Whitney Houston's You Give Good Love kinda reminds me of Utenanthy.

Purple or black? I love every color, but I specifically like the symbolism that comes with purple. Royal, mystical, powerful, me using it is very pretentious, but that's how I am.

I'm probably a duelist fighting for more (excitement, companies, hobbies) in general.

Wakaba, sadly nothing more than a side character in other's stories.

If Anthy gives them to him, maybe.

Last edited by Revolutionary (03-13-2017 08:41:33 AM)

Rule 1: You can never be too sure what will happen next... -Ruby Redfort

#114 | Back to Top04-01-2017 11:05:35 AM

xXSlick_JimmyXx
New Student

I found it while browsing recommendations for Puella Magi Madoka Magica on MyAnimeList.net.  After seeing a brief preview of the movie at last year's AnimeNEXT convention, I decided I liked that aesthetic and would be down to watch another gritty, subversive shojo.

I'm not really one for sex, but Utena's always been my favorite character as far as attraction goes.  She's tall, slim, and girly in appearance, but dominant and masculine in behavior, which is my ideal combination etc-saiowank

I'm torn between NanamiXMitsuru and UtenaXMiki.  Both of them have an older-sister-younger-brother dynamic going, which I've always found vastly preferrable to the imouto fantasy that so many more anime fans prefer.  If I had to pick, I appreciate Utena for being gentler and less cruel as a sister figure than Nanami.  I'm disappointed that Miki was more attracted to submissive li'l Anthy, though.

Pay for it at a reasonable price ($10, maybe $15).  I'm not too into shipping and all that, so I wouldn't be jumping out of my seat to grab that tape.  Also I'd need to dig up my VHS player.

Part of me would want to ask out Utena, but I think I'd have more fun building up my bishonen body so I could fit in with Toga and Saionji.

Utena is best characterized by the song Holy Diver by DIO, because she's an altruistic heroine who always persists, even when those around her tell her she's been down too long in the midnight sea.  [I think you could draw a comparison between the "tiger" and the sword of Dios, as well as one between the "midnight sea" and the Million Swords + coffin at the end.]  I suppose it's cheating to use that song though, because it could characterize the hero of almost any story, but then again, that seems to be the point of Utena's character arc anyway.

Red, like Touga's.  While he is a duplicitous character in most arcs, [he proves himself to be an honest and respectful man in the end, and those are the values I associate with more than any of the other colors].

Duelist.  While I prefer to live a quiet life, I'm not afraid to fight when corruption or disaster get in my way, in the same way that a duelist isn't afraid to fight when a challenger interrupts them on the path to revolution.

I almost got enchanted by an Akio-like character, lured by worldly desires into a potentially disastrous situation (in my situation, it was a very lucrative pyramid scheme).  However, I was smart enough to break the spell before [I got into the castle and stabbed in the back.]

I don't think Saionji smiles at much of anything.

Board footer