This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-22-2009 10:46:34 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Japanese language - learning tips

I'm going to start learning Japanese in private language school this fall and I started to realize that it may be a real challenge for me. Writing system, honorific speech, pronouns - that stuff seems to be the hardest to me.

Any tips, guys?

#2 | Back to Top08-22-2009 11:08:42 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Re: Japanese language - learning tips

Here, half the students seriously drop out the first few weeks cause they don't learn hiragana, or for some reason, thought Japanese wasn't in... Japanese. emot-confused

Alot also has this magical expectation that after two semesters, anything in Japanese would be their bitch. And with expectations like that, you're probably gonna get discouraged.

I'm sure you've realized this already with languages, but probably the most confusing thing with languages is you can't DIRECTLY say what you want to say, especially thinking in another language. My housemate best described it as the language of beating around the bush. emot-rofl

Also, KANJI ARE YOUR FRIENDS. Do not let them scare you. Sentences of hiragana are really the scary ones, kanji separate out sentences much more nicely, and are ALOT easier to translate.

Writing wise, it can be difficult to write, just like in any language. (I know people with chicken scratch who naturally write either language.) While English is written up to down (like, when you write the letter L, you start at the top left, and bring the line down.) with vertical strokes dominant. In Japanese and such, the Horizontal strokes have more authority, and its alot easier to write nicely if you do horizontal lines as the primary ones instead of the vertical.

After so many verbs and what not, you'll learn to recognize the different parts of speech and sentences will become ALOT easier if you can quickly go "yep. That's a verb." If you don't know the names of the parts of sentences, like MOST AMERICANS don't (I don't know what the fuck an adverb is honestly), remember to put an equivalent in your notes, so you can try to stick to that if you can't remember the name. If you ask me for an infinitive verb, I have NO GOD DAMNED IDEA what you're talking about, but if you say 'make a verb that ends with -ing' I can do it. Our teacher had NO IDEA none of us knew what the parts of speech were, and it confused the living fuck out of everyone.

If you have a sentence structure you'll need to remember, make a RIDICULOUS sentence using it. No one will ever forget that Touga's man canon is bigger than Miki's shining thing.

(I'm going to assume you're alot better at languages than them though, cause for the most part, alot of Americans don't know another language, and your English is pretty damn good.)

I'll come back if I remember something. I'm currently an active Japanese tutor, an award winner Latin translator, and an acting German translator. emot-gonk I want to find a Japanese contest, but, I've murdered my vocabulary so much, that if they don't ask about virgins and metallic fetuses, I'd be fucked.

I'll post something else if I think of it, but I need to leave right now.

#3 | Back to Top08-22-2009 11:28:47 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Holy damn allegoriest, those were great tips! lol Useful for many languages other than just Japanese.

#4 | Back to Top08-22-2009 08:36:06 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Kanji is daunting as hell, but I agree with allegoriest -- it's actually a damn sight EASIER to read a line of Japanese in kanji and hiragana than hiragana alone. Learning kanji, however, can be a bit of a nightmare...I'm in the process of it, and one thing I can say is LEARN THE STROKE ORDER. It might seem irritating at first, because as allegoriest pointed out the Western pattern of writing instinct is different to the Eastern, but it's a hell of a lot easier to remember how to do it if you follow their instructions...they've been doing this for a while, they know the most efficient way to write these characters. Also, once you've memorised a few the stroke order becomes largely instinctive anyway. emot-keke

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#5 | Back to Top08-26-2009 10:09:44 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Thanks poptart poptart As you said, I started learning Hiragana and we'll see how long it will take. I feel as if I was in my primary school once again - I write single sings so often. emot-wink

#6 | Back to Top03-10-2010 08:18:07 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

As far as LEARNING & Remembering the Kanji, are there any pointers on that? I've got a firm grasp on hiragana and katakana now. I feel pretty comfortable in determine when to use either. We JUST started kanji... but i am just looking for an easy solution to remembering and learning them emot-smile

And Allegoriest, how much is an over-the-phone tutoring session????? emot-smile

I took german, spanish, and latin when i was younger... but never knew anything fluently.... but enough to get out of sticky situations.

I'll take any help i can get.

#7 | Back to Top03-11-2010 01:09:41 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

I just used flash cards for kanji. I'm pretty good at associating the picture with the words and remembering it once I draw it and show it to myself a bunch of times. You can always look for little memory tricks in them too, like the kanji for station pretty much starts with JR. Other people would just write them a thousand times (not quite), but that always just ended up hurting my wrist and didn't seem necesary.

If you're lazy and don't want to make your own cards, there's a bunch of companies that will sell you cards in sets of 500 or so kanji of varying "difficulty" levels, with both readings on the back, along with an english translation. I think that writing the card yourself at least once helps a lot more though.

Once you "learn" them go over all you know once a week or so, until you've really learned them.

After a few years they got more annoying to remember. Not so much "remember" for a quiz or whatever, but they got complicated enough it was really hard for me to remember most over time (since I didn't have any occasion to use them on a regular basis). I think I've forgotten most of what I knew now, sadly. If you were a bit further into stuff, I'd say that watching shows or reading song lyrics is a good way to learn practical kanji. If you want to learn them on your own so you can understand (blank), then you'll be interested in figuring it out and more likely to remember them over time.

But everyone learns stuff like this differently. Try it a few different ways if you're just starting out, and see what works for you.

#8 | Back to Top03-11-2010 01:52:46 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

(sorry if I mention something here that's already been mentioned, I'm lazy and really didn't read, I skimmed.)

I've been teaching myself Japanese for almos three years now and so far the hardest thing I've come across is transitive vs. intransitive verbs (you thought I'd say kanji, right?  well, they're difficult, yes, but I love them too much emot-biggrin).  Particles usually are the tell-tale sign of whether a verb's transitive or intransitive, but in a lot of situations it's just "assumed"  (like a lot of Japanese is) and it's difficult to tell.

The thing that's really helped me out in my studies is Japanese music.  I just download it, listen to it, grab a dictionary, and translate what I don't already know.  Boom.  If you want some resources here's a few:

jpopasia.com - listen to the top charts in a multitude of genres
jbums.blogspot.com, japanesemusicdream.wordpress.com - two great places to download your favorite Japanese music for free.

Learning kana was kinda tough for me in the beginning too.
A good site to get some practice is realkana.com, it's like flashcard based.  Really nice.

If you have an iPod (or any other mp3 player for that matter) I also suggest subscribing to japanesepod101.com's free podcasts through iTunes (or what have you).  They're EXCELLENT listening practice and you learn a LOT.

Okay, that's all I can suggest for someone taking a class in Japanese.  xD Lucky you!  And have fun!

#9 | Back to Top03-11-2010 06:43:58 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I used to do the same thing Valeli does for kanji: write out flash cards, study the hell out of them, and then study the hell out of them backwards.  I'm not sure how else to do it, except that I think there are books with memory aids -- e.g. 方 is the character for hou (the way to do something) and looks like an old man leaning on a cane asking for directions? -- and if that helps you, great!

winksniper wrote:

I've been teaching myself Japanese for almos three years now and so far the hardest thing I've come across is transitive vs. intransitive verbs (you thought I'd say kanji, right?  well, they're difficult, yes, but I love them too much emot-biggrin).  Particles usually are the tell-tale sign of whether a verb's transitive or intransitive, but in a lot of situations it's just "assumed"  (like a lot of Japanese is) and it's difficult to tell.

Ditto.  You can't read a particle that's not there.  emot-gonk  As far as I'm concerned it's a crapshoot whether "Tanaka ga tomatta" means "Tanaka stopped" or "Tanaka stopped it" unless context makes it clear.  Making matters worse is how most Japanese teachers will teach intransitive verbs as transitive for lack of a better translation, with wakaru being the worst offender.  If my sensei had just told me "wakaru doesn't really mean 'to understand,' it's really more like 'to make oneself understood,' but there's no better word for it," I'd have had a lot less trouble understanding particles; I couldn't grasp how ga could be the subject particle in "nihongo ga wakaru" when Japanese is clearly not the subject in "I understand Japanese."

Japanese is the only course I had to drop out of in college.  Halfway through the second year, class was just moving too fast and I couldn't keep up.  I hope to be able to return to it someday, because I really enjoyed learning it -- okay, okay, not keigo, but the rest of it -- and I'd like the opportunity to be taught it at my own pace sometime.

#10 | Back to Top03-11-2010 07:43:00 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Haha. I remember having trouble with that same stuff. Good times...

I'd really like to get back to it too. I didn't drop out of it, so much as just place it by the wayside so I could take the courses I needed to finish up my major instead. I've spent so much time on it between college and high school that I really regret having done nothing with it, and not having become "fluent" (or something closely approaching that).

I'm interested in seeing if I can audit a class next year maybe, when all I'm going to have to take is O. Chem and MCAT studying. If I could set up a situation where I can audit it for no grade/credit/really cheap, that would be lots of fun and a good way to get back into it. I don't want to have to take it for a grade with O. Chem and MCATs though... the last thing I need is unforced stress from something I just want to do for self-enrichment emot-frown.

#11 | Back to Top03-12-2010 12:26:24 AM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

i really appreciate the input guys emot-smile

My study of japanese is one for my self instead of for a major. I'm studying Aerospace engineering and the degree plan has nothing to do with foreign languages. I walked into japanese which is a 2 hour 15 minute twice a day (or 5 credit hour class) and it was mind boggling. Sensei told us that we'd have to learn hiragana and katakana within a month and a half. I was terrified at the time, but i feel much better about it now that its over with. I'm really excited about progressing further... and despite how hard the kanji may be, i am loving it/.

my biggest fear is to not continue the classes throughout college and lose the constant homework/test/quiz studying to do. That always helps keep me on track. I tried teaching myself before hand, but it resulted in me only being able to read a few katakana and point out objects occasionally.

If anyone is interested in a discussion/phone call/ instant messenger/ skype-ing i'd love to have a partner to keep me on my toes.

Once again, i am a level one student and equate to a 1st grader emot-tongue

Thanks again for the assistance.

#12 | Back to Top03-12-2010 01:37:09 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

What's skype? :: blush ::
I seriously fail at technology. I had my lab partner text message me, and I couldn't figure out how to reply....

Um. IMing though, I understand. I used to have a free program from microsoft that let you type japanese in various applications, but I don't remember where I got that, or if it would work with vista/IM programs. It was simple to use, you'd just type in hiragana, and you could hit space and turn the phrase into hiragana + the appropriate kanji (assuming you could select the appropriate ones from the options offered) Any ideas? Your thought of texting/conversing in japanese is actually something I'd be sort of interested in doing.

Interest versus actually being able to keep it up are different things though. I'm bad at getting side tracked when something pressing comes around. After this semester especially though, I could probably find time for something like that. And a few times before then maybe, if you know of any good(free? emot-keke;) programs.

Edit: Fair warning, I took Japanese for a long time, but I haven't actually had a chance to use it at all in the last... 4? 5? years. So I've forgotten a ton, and probably mangled what I remember. I'm not entirely sure how helpful I'd be.

Last edited by Valeli (03-12-2010 01:39:57 PM)

#13 | Back to Top03-12-2010 01:44:08 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Oh, if you want to buy kanji flashcards, this is a nice place to get them from: http://www.whiterabbitpress.com/ The only unfortunate thing is that while the cards were set up to mirror the requirements of the JLPT, this year they are changing the JLPT somewhat so they don't match up exactly. Although in your case it may not be such a huge problem, as the JLPT has now gone from four levels to five, and the middle level is the new one; it bridges the fourth and second, where before there was a massive gap between three and two. The two lower levels are unchanged, I think, so the first set of kanji cards -- which is the one I'm using -- should still be very useful. school-devil With that said, the JLPT doesn't match up exactly with the way I am being taught -- via Genki -- but these cards are damned useful. They give the kanji, the radical, the stroke order, look-alikes (which is the killer for me with kanji), the kun/on-yomi, the meanings of the individual components, and then a series of meanings (which correspond to different levels of the JLPT, but are useful for association and use). I think White Rabbit Press has some other great stuff, but I haven't used it personally; it's expensive to get stuff imported to New Zealand, and because I am currently doing a university course I at least have a tutor to bother with questions and tests/exams to mark my progress. It's a lot harder on your own, so etc-loveetc-loveetc-love for you! emot-keke

Last edited by Clarice (03-12-2010 01:45:19 PM)

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#14 | Back to Top03-12-2010 02:54:31 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I don't think anyone can currently hold a phone lesson with me, because, I DESPISE the phone, and thusly, would charge way too much.
Also, I can't hear very well. emot-gonk

I'm preeeetty certain aim allows Japanese. If not, the people I IM are psychics....
I know I used MSN in Chinese a few years back, so I guess it can do Japanese.

My Japanese has probably gone WAY too far in a WTF direction to give good tutoring at this point in time though. I've become far too specialized.

I'll consider taking Japanese tests when they're for contests. I don't want a congratulations. I want to compete for prizes and medals and stuff. Also, I don't want to travel to take the test.

That's why Latin was cool. They'd give me things when I did well. And as of right now, there's no reason that paper would help me in my life.

I don't see why people find kanji hard. THEY ARE YOUR FRIENDS. They make words much more specific, and its easier to tell when a word stops. In my case, if I see one I don't know, I look it up, and go on. Eventually, if I keep running into it, I'll more than likely remember it.

I want a good book on verb conjugation. Seriously. Especially since I can't ever remember what verbs are CALLED. only what they mean. And I'm just SO FUCKING LAZY. I've tried making my own, but its just like, nnng.

And woooah, that site's expensive. This is why I don't have many books. My favourite publisher is shogakukan I think.  (too rushed to find a book right now.)

#15 | Back to Top03-12-2010 04:32:30 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

If your computer accepts Japanese text, you can IM in it -- and if the other person's computer accepts Japanese text, they'll see it. I have something on my taskbar that lets me change between English and Japanese, which is how I chat with my tutor in Japanese. emot-biggrin If you google your operating system and "Japanese text support" you ought to see how to do it; I run Vista and it was easy as to set up. etc-love

allegoriest wrote:

I'll consider taking Japanese tests when they're for contests. I don't want a congratulations. I want to compete for prizes and medals and stuff. Also, I don't want to travel to take the test.

Yeah, I know what you mean -- the JLPT, though, is useful if you want to try for scholarships/university/work in Japan. It's standardised literally across the WORLD, so that means they know what level you can effectively communicate at. So, it's a useful thing to do. Although travelling to sit it IS a pain in the ass, I'll agree there. emot-mad

As for why kanji is hard -- I would imagine it's because when your native language has one alphabet and that's it, wrapping your head around three (especially when one has literally thousands of characters) is daunting as hell. I agree completely that they make Japanese a thousand times easier to read, but learning them is a bitch. I mean, it's a bitch for the Japanese, and they get it slightly easier because they can already speak the language to begin with. So, yeah. Kanji is damn hard, but the rewards of learning it make up for the hassle. They're beautiful, besides; I'd love to learn proper calligraphy and treat the characters with the respect they deserve. emot-keke

As for verb conjugation...I think it says something, that I know more grammatical terms in French than I do in English. emot-gonk

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#16 | Back to Top03-12-2010 05:15:31 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

i also have the IME tool associated with Vista. It was easy to set up and if anyone needs help i'd be happy to assist.

Valeli

Skype is similar to an IM system where you can webcam and mic chat. The difference with skype vs. MSN or AIM is that skype allows you to purchase credits if you want to make a VoIP (Voice over IP) call to a lan line. But skype is free otherwise. Its a great service and allows chatting to be easier than the standard msn (IMHO!) However, i'd love to IM with you.... I prefer MSN and Skype. PM me if you're interested ;-)

Clarice do you know who Tofugu is? he's a Japanese American Vlogger on youtube who is giving a contest out for WhiteRabit press cards. Something to do with twitter. I have seen the examples of those cards and they are fabulous.... moneys just the issue emot-frown

I don't have any trouble learning the kanji, i just need the practice... and i don't feel i get enough of it in my japanese class alone.

Allegoriest i can understand... over the phone anything is ridiculous. However, if i discover any competitions i'll let you know ;)

#17 | Back to Top03-12-2010 05:27:10 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

KissFromARose wrote:

Clarice do you know who Tofugu is? he's a Japanese American Vlogger on youtube who is giving a contest out for WhiteRabit press cards. Something to do with twitter. I have seen the examples of those cards and they are fabulous.... moneys just the issue emot-frown

I should look that up, he sounds interesting. And you should enter the competition; I have the first set of the White Rabbit cards, and they really are a lovely product. school-devil

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#18 | Back to Top03-12-2010 09:37:39 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

I want to compete for prizes and medals and stuff.

souka.

It's on. .... slutt. ... J/K .... Mostly. etc-love

I'll PM you in re: skype/IM kiss. If you're genuinelyinterested in it, we can probably both find something we'd each find helpful from each other. I hate to think of relathions based on need/use but... you could do worse. I guess. No harm meant. I'd honestly be glad if I managed to help you out in any fashion.

#19 | Back to Top03-12-2010 10:53:23 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

well having a friend is always good... but having a friend that speaks japanese is just plain awesome... and a japanese speaking friend that loves utena? PFT amazing ;-)

#20 | Back to Top03-13-2010 02:50:43 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Unless you skype to a phone. school-eng101 Another designer at work did that in a weird country, and raked up $14,000 in phone bills in a week. He tried to get work to pay it. yeeeeah....

Older versions of aim and friends never allowed Japanese and such at all. I think that's why so many asian people I knew a while back used MSN...

The worst part with Japanese is remembering the different pronunciations of words. Sometimes, it will be this. When put before a word, it will be that. When after another, it will be THAT. Then, sometimes, people will pronounce it another way. Just to fuck with you.

I came in with Chinese prior to it. Which was sometimes good. And sometimes disastrous. Every once in a while, you'd see a word that looks the SAME but mean COMPLETELY different things in each language. Sometimes I still get them backwards and screw with pronunciations.

You can message me if you'd wish, but I can't guarantee I'd be of help anymore. (I mostly just use it for research and translating now.) I'm allegoriest on aim and skype. ...Though I generally don't talk.

#21 | Back to Top03-14-2010 05:55:09 PM

Pfft
Touga Topper

A generall tip is to be very patient -- it takes a long time to get to a level where you can actually do anything...

But I also have a more specific tip: if you want a computer-based flashcard program (as opposed to the traditional paper cards), definitely check out Anki  http://ichi2.net/anki/! It's free software, works on all kinds of computers, uses memory-models to decide when to show a card next, has tons of plugins for studying specific languages, can show pretty graphs about your progress, and is generally all kinds of awesome. Back when I was studying Japanese I did everything on paper, but at the moment I am studying Chinese a bit in my spare time and started using Anki, and the instant gratification aspect of it is actually really fun. emot-smile

~ a Sphinx-phinx in the winter of the desert  ~

Board footer