This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#226 | Back to Top05-19-2008 07:19:53 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: Come with me, on an SKU body language tour! Meals included!

NECRO

So.  While I'm doing my analysis of Nanami's Akio Arc duel episodes, I notice something.  And, me being the procrastinating little shit that I am, decided to slap this together real quick instead of working on the analysis.

I'll say right here that when it comes to body language, I am a total noob.  Don't expect any earth-shattering revelations fromm me concerning this facet of SKU.  I usually just talk a hell of lot to make up for it, so you are warned.

Oh, and guess who it has to do with?

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn196/onlyinthislight2/LOLZ%20Touga%20and%20his%20body%20language/Series_ep25_135.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn196/onlyinthislight2/LOLZ%20Touga%20and%20his%20body%20language/Series_ep25_131.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn196/onlyinthislight2/LOLZ%20Touga%20and%20his%20body%20language/Series_ep25_145.jpg

I must say it's good thing for Touga that Saionji doesn't read body language all that well, or our Long-haired Bishonen would have found himself eating pavement after pulling off these poses and expressions.

The first shows Touga with his hand holding up his face.  This serves two main purposes on the surface, a) Showing off his ring to Saionji as bait to re-enter the duels, and b) To hold back his hair. 

In Touga's case, holding back his hair and holding his face is done (I think) mostly with the intent to show off his face.  It is a variation of the "face platter' with your hand or hands being the proverbial 'platter', and is used by women and gay men to draw attention to their face, so that whomever they are trying to impress admires it as if it was on display.  While in some cases, doing this with your hand can also mean that whomever is doing this is bored or uninterested (holding up head so they do not nod off), Touga seems far too relaxed and amused to be bored by playing with Saionji.   He has his eyebrows lowered in mild contemplation as he looks at Saionji, scrutinzing him like a predator does its prey.  Although I can see Touga doing this is order to subtly imply that he is bored; using it as a way of condescending to Saionji whom he sees as gullible, and as an effective method for further inflaming Saionji's desire to best him.

The second shot shows Touga fondling the sides of the car, with one finger bent.  Unless you haven't had the pleasure of reading ANYTHING Gio has posted on this thread or on her Akio Shrine, then you already know exactly what this kind of indirect contact means.

Lastly, you see a shot of both Saionji and Touga.  Touga's pose is relaxed and very....open.  Not only is his shirt undone, displaying his vulnerable front and neck, but he stretches in order to reveal more skin.  Such a salacious act is often used by women wooing a man, and can impy submissiveness when showing the delicate and decidedly sexual neck, however, Touga rather boldly exposes his chest too, having it face Saionji directly, which is what men do when wanting to show dominance or interest.  Furthermore, Touga has his palm facing down and slightly closed; secretive, relaxed, dominant and a textbook example of body language used by those who believe themselves to be in-control.  Very "Come and get me, if you think you can."

Conversely, Saionji looks tense and unpleasantly surprised, with his arms at his sides slightly raised and ready to either attack or defend, and his hackles raised.  His shirt remains closed, symbolising a complete brush off and defensive refusal, sexual or otherwise, on Saionji's part. Whether or not this is because Saionji is too sexually unaware to understand just what it is Touga is implying, or because Saionji does understand and is offended by the suggestion, is for you to decide.

Removing sex from the equation, it still shows the way Touga condescendes and indirectly manipulates Saionji by using simoultaneously direct and passive dominance.

Anyway.

Then we have Nanami's ride in Akio's car, also sitting alongside Touga.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn196/onlyinthislight2/LOLZ%20Touga%20and%20his%20body%20language/Series_ep32_133.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn196/onlyinthislight2/LOLZ%20Touga%20and%20his%20body%20language/Series_ep32_138.jpg

Despite the fact that what Touga does to Nanami durig this scene if far more sexual, Touga hardly acts as though it is.  All through Saionij's car ride Touga acts endlessly amused, and seems to thouroughly enjoy himself as he borderline flirts and teases Saionji, even though nothing of any real, set-in-stone sexual activity occurs between the two.

(It's not until after Akio does his windsheild flipping gambit and takes Saionji to the 'ends of the world' that we see Saionji's more sexual side awaken, and afterwords the series is littered with scenes of his own jacket flying open all willy-nilly).

We all know what happens during Nanami's car ride; after these two shots, Touga suddenly forces himself on Nanami and kisses her.  While he does appear to grab her shoulder's in order to restrain her (and fails spectacularly), he does nothing further to show any actual interest in her.  He does not hold her chin or smooth her hair, he does not lean forward for a few moments and smile charmingly -all the things Touga has done in the past to woo a girl or show sexual interest.

For the manner in which Touga does this, suddenly is the key word.  He gives no clues and shows no signs of interest, or even particularly fondness for his sister before he leaps at her.  His face in impassive, not facing Nanami (indirect/passive dominance), and generally quite bored looking, while in the shot regarding Saionji he was looking at and focusing completely on the kendoist.  What he does after this shot is in such complete contrast to this behavior beforehand that Nanami is, quite reasonably, completely surprised and taken off guard.

We have a shot that parallels the positions of Touga and Saionji during Saionji's car ride.  In contrast to them, however, Touga looks completely serious, if not a little bit sympathetic, for his younger sister, and shows no apparent pleasure gained from what he has done.   What he was doing with Saionji was fun, but this is not.  His face is that of a man who has followed his orders, and is now merely waiting for the plan itself to finish with his part of it done.  He is observing, and unable to decide whether he is an objective or subjective party.

His jacket is completely buttoned up, which not only symbolizes his lack of sexual interest in Nanami, but also the barrier he has been and has now completely built up between himself and his sister.  Now, finally, it is not Touga whom Nanami is fighting for, or trying to win.  Therefore, he does not look as though he is offering himself as prize to Nanami, as he does with Saionji.  (I can go on so much further into this scene and what it means, that strays very far from this thread's topic, and will be saved for my analysis).

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn196/onlyinthislight2/LOLZ%20Touga%20and%20his%20body%20language/Series_ep32_143.jpg

Nanami hold's her hand over her mouth, and turns away form Touga completely as she declares that that is not what she wants.  While it is true that covering your mouth is a childlike mannerism used by people lying in order to symbolically stop the decietful words from leaving their lips, as with all body language signals, you have look at them in clusters and take into consideration the situation in which they are presenting themselves.  In this case, you have to take into consideration that she currently has her brother's spit in her mouth, and so I do not believe Nanami was lying when she said this, she was merely covering her mouth in an attempt to protect herself and prevent the action from happening again.

In the shot earlier, however, she is covering her mouth in order to stop her from talking about or thinking about what she saw Akio and Anthy doing together.  Something so horrible she dare not even voice it aloud.
~~~

So, in summary, where these two scenes merely used to showcase how Touga manipulates these two people, whom are so close to him? Or did were they meant to showcase Touga's sexuality?

Is Touga flirting with Saionji, making a proposition, teasing him, or just having a laugh at his expense?  All four?  Or is he just flaunting his open sexual nature and purposefully drawing a contrast in Saionji's eyes between who he is now and who he used to be (the little boy that used to be his one and only friend)?

Does he really regert hurting Nanami, was he just following orders, did he do it for some chavaunistic and convoluted plot to protect her and seperate her from himself, or did he do it all happily to help get himself deeper into Akio good graces?  (Like I said earlier, I have alot to say on this matter too, but I'm saving it).

Touga is good at mainpulation, and part of that means often giving off completely mixed signals that can be reinterpreted in numerous ways to suit both himself and whomever he is aiming them at.

Bastard. etc-love

~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, sorry this was so long.

And more than half of it is probaby incorrect, so meh.

i hoep itz gud aniweyz.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (05-31-2008 04:19:43 PM)

#227 | Back to Top05-20-2008 07:36:49 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

YOU IDIOT. Don't post awesome Touga analysis when Yasha's not able to get to the forum for a while. emot-gonk

Anyway you are not incorrect, in fact I agree on all counts and I've also always found it interesting that Touga's so flirtatious with Saionji but sexually shuts down with Nanami when the goals, presumably, were the other way around. I think in Nanami's case, though, there are a couple possibilities that aren't exclusive of each other. He could be covering up the mack because Nanami would have sniffed it out too soon and rejected him before he could get in that one overwhelming act. She might have brushed off flirtatious better. The other possibility is he genuinely doesn't want to seduce Nanami, and I really don't think he does. He's pretty mean and a nasty fellow, but fucking his sister I think would be more than he'd do without it leaving a bad taste in his mouth (haha). That and...he's supposed to fail. If Nanami gave in, Akio would ride off into the sunset with two siblings banging like monkeys in the back of his car, but that's not the goal here, is it? In this way it mirrors what Akio does to Utena later. Dangling a prize in front of her that she's supposed to reject as part of the plan.

As for Saionji, I think he's playing to the crowd that knows him best. Sexuality is a very, very potent metaphor for power in Saionji's eyes. He's watched Touga wrap half the school (the female half) around his little finger, and he's watched Touga fuck his way into the second most powerful position in the school. That Touga's sexually powerful is hard to deny, and even more so than anything else, Touga thoroughly outshines him in that arena. Saionji has (that he's aware of) not a scrap of sexual power, so for Touga to flaunt it that way really rubs in the relative difference in status and power here, especially as it pertains to Saionji's not being in the game anymore. (Hence the signet flashing, which is something Saionji himself was quite guilty of in the first arc.)

You could argue he should feel worse for fucking so deeply with his sister, but I think the difference in comfort level is more sexist than that. Saionji's a man. He should be able to handle himself better than a younger woman. I think on some level Touga does think women should be protected, but it's not because he's a really great guy. It's became women are weaker. He can sleep a little better fucking with a man that should be able to defend himself.

I always thought that, more than Saionji's duel, Nanami's also had a different tone with Akio and Touga. I can't say why exactly, but I smell 'prove it' in what Touga's made to do here. I don't think being a shit to Saionji is anything new, and he's never been brother of the year to Nanami, but this is especially rotten. Maybe, for anyone else, too much. It wasn't, though.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#228 | Back to Top05-20-2008 06:38:18 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Giovanna wrote:

YOU IDIOT. Don't post awesome Touga analysis when Yasha's not able to get to the forum for a while. emot-gonk

I'm sorry!  Does this mean I have to be tied up again? emot-biggrin

(P.S-  Make with the Saionji:tongue:)

#229 | Back to Top05-31-2008 12:10:30 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Mwahaha! Out of pure spite, I'm going to put in more Touga analysis here. Gee. For him being my least favorite character, I've done quite a bit of research. Or maybe I'm just inspired by what was brought by the car scene between Touga and Nanami, which I feel is a particularly interesting little dynamic. Now, it's not in the Gallery screen caps, and it's pretty much incredibly hard to see. But if you look very very carefully and do enough freeze-framing...Touga is smiling as he advances in on Nanami. You can only see it for a second before his hair is blown in the way. But...here it is.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/wellworm/tougananami2.jpg

I apologize for the poor quality, as my Utena DVDs are misplaced and I had to use YouTube. But you can still see Touga's little smile there. What does it imply? I think that there's a very certain predatory quality to what he's doing. He's conflicted, I would agree, but he's spent a bit of time leading up to this moment. The previous two episodes are filled with his gradual seduction that comes off as teasing, but distinctly sexual. For once, we really see Touga in a sort of subtle pursuit of his sister. His attentions are focused completely on her. He seduces one of her lackeys with the clear intent of reaching Nanami. Notice how his smile when holding Keiko here is almost identical to when he's about to kiss Nanami:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/wellworm/Series_ep32_043.jpg

It's an interesting symbol as well. The air is concealing most of the face. The only thing visible is a small and secretive smile. It's a very deliberate image for deception, mystery, and hidden intentions. You could imagine him doing the same thing right after walking from Nanami's room after his rather coy display of concern for her "illness." He's planning something, and all of his moves are focused on his sister.

What I personally deduct from this is simple - Touga has made a mistake. He misleadingly thought that Nanami's adoration of him was distinctly sexual. And at some more suppressed level, it is. After all, she's often caressing him, taking his arm, draping herself on tables before him, or taking other moves of symbolic submission. Someone with Touga's ego and way of perceiving things would take as a reflection of her sexual desire for me, and her acceptance of his dominant position. Early in the series, we see him acting in turn. This is especially obvious in "Curry High Trip," in which Nanami begs him for his forgiveness. He quite clearly enjoys this, then exerts his power over her by ordering her to India with the threat of not being able to come home. So his perception of their relationship is that he controls Nanami due to his sexual control over her. His ego demands nothing less. Still, he is hesitant to act upon it, but I'll take on that later.

The problem is that he was wrong. Nanami may use sexual gestures and symbols, but given her perpetual clueless innocence, she doesn't understand the deeper significance behind them. She uses them as an expression of a far more familial affection. I do think that Nanami is attracted to Touga, a fact made obvious by her watching him in the shower, but it's not something she would ever willfully act on. In the moments that Nanami's actual sexual self emerges, it displays someone with even more innocence and naivete than Utena. She becomes passive, shy, and is generally blushing. Therefore, her more aggressive displays are not intended to be advances on her brother.

Where do they come from? I theorize from her own living situation. Touga and Nanami grew up in an aristocratic family. They probably did not see their parents very often, but what they did see probably left a lasting impression. My personal deduction is that Touga took a lot of cues from his adoptive father. Given from what we know of him, from what we see of the mansion, and from the freedom left to the children, we can perhaps paint a picture of what the parents were like. My image of his father is a man who distinctly enjoys power - probably a businessman of some variety. He probably had a younger trophy wife. In a lot of regards, I see him being a lot like Akio in that he is probably the epitome of the adult image in the Utena world. His detached presence left a lasting impression on his young adopted son, who quickly was lavished with attention. On a brief side note, I'd like to point out that Touga did not live in his comfort forever. He probably came from a poor family prior to being adopted by the Kiryuus, since he was apparently old enough at the time to remember it. So he has the contrast to remember suffering before pleasure. It makes him appreciate the luxury and attentions of the royalty even more, and I see his adoptive father as being a symbol of all he reaches to attain.

Nanami, conversely, acts out the part associated with a trophy pet. She clings onto Touga, constantly begging him and showing her submissive adoration. Perhaps she saw similar acts from her adoptive mother. Or, it could be the image associated with the rich man's pretty young wife that would pervade the upper ranks and her way of living. I'd say a combination of both. But she doesn't entirely understand what her gestures mean. She grew up seeing it, and perceived it to be the way that girls showed affection for the men they idolized. Naturally, for her, that would be her brother. She's clueless enough not to see the way the rest of the campus perceives it. To her, it's her means of displaying a purely sisterly form of love. Touga, in turn, acts out more the part of the indulgent yet occasionally stern husband rather than the older brother. Together, they probably imitate the roles they saw their parents play, and most of the couples that they were exposed to as a youth.

Examples of Nanami's "trophy wife" behaviors:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/ … 08_064.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/ … 06_019.jpg

Touga is content to play this part with more symbolism than actuality for the first part of the series. He doesn't take advantage of Nanami's desire to please him, and in his own twisted way, treats her as his little sister. Then comes Akio. Akio, who represents everything he wants to be. Akio, who has absolutely no reservations about who he seduces. Who ensures his control over the power of Dios through his sexual power - including over his own sibling. Touga admires his ability, and his ruthlessness. He wants very much to believe he can be the exact same way. What he doesn't count on is his own feeling. I believe that we see in "Her Tragedy" and "Romance of the Dancing Girls" is the progression of his conflict. On one hand, he does genuinely care for her. Right after Keiko slaps her, he does not look too happy, tells her that she'll understand eventually. An ambiguous and lackluster comfort. But there none of the less. On the other hand, he believes that Akio is testing him, and wants to prove both his ability to both himself and his "friend." His forceful move on his sister is the final culmination of this debate. He's hesitant at first, but then he finally advances. He chooses Akio's favor over his doubts, and when he finally does move in, he's intent on making sure that he enjoys it. My thoughts for his smile? Perhaps relief. Perhaps pleasure at conquering a part of himself he finds disgusting. By having sex with Nanami, she really does become one insect in the mass of many. She's no longer his sister, the one person he draws a line to. She's just another sex object. In that quick easy move, he destroys their connection, and perhaps he manages to conquer whatever affinity he feels for her. Not to mentions so that he proves that he can be on par with Akio's "accomplishments."

When Nanami shoves him away, he sounds angry. Extremely frustrated. He had just finally made the move he's been planning and debating over, and Nanami refuses him. Yet, their eventual apparent reconciliation suggests that perhaps this was a source of relief to him. Without royally screwing over their bond as Anthy and Akio did, they manage to keep it intact. The end of the series suggests that maybe Touga's steady transformation has allowed him to finally be a big brother, rather than a grotesque imitation. Their relationship can slowly turn into a healthier development between two siblings.

Whoo. And there is my long ass observation that goes off in thirty different directions. If this thread has truly been necro'd, would anyone care to take on Akio/Kozue? They're only together for a small bit of one episode, but I've always wondered at what their body language suggests. How would Akio see Kozue? If no one else covers it, I'll give a shot, but mind my observational limitations.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#230 | Back to Top06-03-2008 07:34:57 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Would you believe that the body language in this exact moment was a topic of hot debate at RoseCon? One of the viewpoints posited there was that Touga deliberately muffed his play for Nanami at the end, because he didn't WANT to seduce her at that point.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#231 | Back to Top06-03-2008 04:55:47 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

^^^^^^^ Look at the smile! THE SMILE! THE SMILE! I agree with you to some extent...but it's more complex than he "just didn't want to" yep! It reveals a major complex in his character!

*gets dragged by mental health facility workers, chanting "THE SMILE! THE SMILE!" over and over again*

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#232 | Back to Top06-03-2008 07:04:32 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

I can buy that he didn't want to kiss his sister, for whatever reason, but he definitely enjoys furthering his own selfish needs.

Body language is hawtt. More posts need to be made here.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#233 | Back to Top06-05-2008 01:52:15 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Jellineck wrote:

emot-kekeemot-kekeemot-keke^ Look at the smile! THE SMILE! THE SMILE! I agree with you to some extent...but it's more complex than he "just didn't want to" yep! It reveals a major complex in his character!

*gets dragged by mental health facility workers, chanting "THE SMILE! THE SMILE!" over and over again*

Utena seems to inspire the mental most of all... myself actually having been in a mental institute.... where I drew Anthy of all things...

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

Board footer