This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-12-2009 11:41:30 AM

Charuru
Ohtori Paramouri

How I would "improve" Utena

Share your thoughts on what would make Utena into a better show than it already is! emot-biggrin

I would:

1. Make Touga into a girl. How awesome would that be? emot-biggrin Playgirl playgirl. emot-dance
2. Add a beach scene. I thought every anime had to have a beach/onsen episode! emot-gonk
3. Make the Planetarium tower even taller. Because.. well, I just think it would be appropriate alright?!

#2 | Back to Top06-12-2009 12:53:45 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Re: How I would "improve" Utena

1. Add more obnoxiously melodramatic yaoi
2. Nanami , Akio, and Kozue reform their ways and become everyone's bestest fwiend.

Oh God, I cringed after typing that last sentence.  emot-gonk

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#3 | Back to Top06-12-2009 01:41:38 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Other than improve the animation (which grows on you anyways):

Make Anthy duel someone and kick some ass.

Include more blood and gore.

Add a slightly more overt U/A scene...or at least in an OVA or something.

Add more complex backstories.

Actually, if they were to have done any of that, I think SKU might have been ruined, but still, it would be fun to see in theory.

#4 | Back to Top06-12-2009 02:31:32 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Make the subtext into blatant text.

A good Shiori torturing Juri scene would be awesome, and vice versa. ^_~

An actual in anime story arc with Chigusa instead of the video game.

A better explanation of Mikage's existance. My tentative interpretation has always been that he was a young sickly boy who died and created a more grown up existence for himself whereupon he feel in love with his elder sister and created a version similar to his younger self that he also fell in love with. Wrap your brains around that one and the implications are interesting I think.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#5 | Back to Top06-12-2009 07:10:47 PM

BalamiyaVardihi
High Tripper

Better animation (movie animation FTW)
Chigusa in the anime
Longer run (why not 50-something?)
Improving the duels
Deeper backstories/storyline, more complexity, more analysis

and of course

MOAR COWBELL

Last edited by BalamiyaVardihi (06-13-2009 09:10:10 AM)

Twirling round with this familiar parabol
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and
Celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing

#6 | Back to Top06-12-2009 09:08:46 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

No Chu-chu.

#7 | Back to Top06-12-2009 09:45:01 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

BalamiyaVardihi wrote:

MOAR COWBELL

I love you. emot-rofl

In all seriousness, I can't really think of anything that I'd change aside from the animation (although the stylised nature of the duels works in certain respects, sometimes it just looks shoddy). I'd be tempted to ask for more Mikage/Nemuro/Mamiya/Tokiko, but then I think my ongoing obsession is a direct result of the lack of information we're given. emot-rolleyes Yeah, story-wise, I think it's fine the way it is...though I could likely live without Chu-Chu, and possibly some of the sillier aspects of the Student Council Arc. It's the only part of the series I have no interest in rewatching, though parts of it are such a massive Chekov's Gun that it's probably better to have the filler elements plumping it out...

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#8 | Back to Top06-12-2009 09:50:14 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Charuru wrote:

1. Make Touga into a girl. How awesome would that be? emot-biggrin Playgirl playgirl. emot-dance
!

That position's been filled. Her name's Kozue. emot-biggrin

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#9 | Back to Top06-12-2009 09:51:14 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Charuru wrote:

!

That position's been filled. Her name's Kozue. emot-biggrin

As they say in your vernacular... ZING! emot-tongue

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#10 | Back to Top06-12-2009 10:41:02 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I would have Tatsuya not make the crack about Wakaba being tainted in Mikage's elevator.  There's no good narrative reason I can think of for that hint of misogyny, and it's the only sour move in an episode that is otherwise an epically awesome head fake.

I would delete "Truth," the first arc's ending theme, and replace it with a song that didn't suck ass.  Seriously, you guys.  Hire one of the hundred thousand amazing singers who live in Japan, along with an actual songwriter (the genius behind "kissing love and true your heart" need not apply), and you're golden.  I'm prepared to love almost anything related to Utena, but Truth is ew.  emot-mad

The Rule of Three demands one more item, so I pick Ruka's introduction.  He sort of pops out of nowhere and monopolizes a couple episodes.  I would give him some foreshadowing -- maybe make a passing reference to how Juri is running the fencing club on her senpai's behalf, put a grimace in the right place, and load Chekhov's Gun.  Anything to create a little context for him.

#11 | Back to Top06-12-2009 11:08:54 PM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

More shadow girls!!
More scenes with Anthy and Utena, I don't care if it's just showing them drinking tea. I want more of them (actually it's just Anthy)~

DELETE EP 33, it's the only one I can't rewatch.

#12 | Back to Top06-13-2009 12:44:05 AM

PrinceoftheLostEternity
Rose Assignee

Here's my list...I would:

1.) Make the series longer. They could have added things to stretch stuff out.

2.) As was already stated, make subtext into actual dialogue.

3.) Less Saionji being an angsty bitch and more of him slapping up the Rose Bride.

4.) Blood and gore FTW.

5.) Make the anime more like the manga in the sense that Akio and Dios were two halves of one whole. Good and Evil. Make it legit!

6.) The episode in which Anthy and Utena switch bodies thanks to Nanami's prank with the curry could have been split into a couple of episodes in which Anthy was made to duel someone (Idk, Saionji!?) as Utena, immasculating him as payback for all the times he slapped her up.

7.) MOAR NANAMI STUPIDITY NAO!!! (sans cowbell)

8.) Less Akio sex. He makes my skin crawl...

9.) More of the Juri/Shiori power struggle. Maybe even a few occurences of some sex games in which Shiori's just mind-fucking Juri. That'd be great...

10.) Less Miki/Kozue. Nanami/Touga is acceptable only because they're not twins. Twincest is only acceptable in the came of the Hitachiin twins from Ouran High School Host Club.

11.) Less "Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku". A good song it was, but really!? Before EVERY duel? And less stairs. I preferred the gondola, myself.

12.) Either everyone has nipples, or no one has nipples...

13.) Akio's mullet would have to go. Maybe just long hair. Or the shorter Dios look.

14.) The Student Council meetings would be made to be more...ridiculous. They were my fave. ^___^

Last edited by PrinceoftheLostEternity (06-13-2009 12:44:33 AM)

I want your love and I want your revenge, you and me can write a bad romance.

The profile formerly known as Prince... oftheLostEternity... was a shared profile, one of whose users hasn't been around for a while.  The other one is now posting as DiddlyPanda.  Wewt!  emot-biggrin

#13 | Back to Top06-13-2009 01:45:55 AM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

1. I would give Utena better legs.

2. MAORYAOIPLZNAO etc-love

3. Utena would be less oblivious.

4. Akio's hair would be longer.

5. There would be more nudity.

6. Wakaba and Tatsuya would have gotten together.

7. Chu-Chu would marry the frog.

8. You would not be able to see Touga's eye through his hair. I don't care how funny it is. emot-rofl

9. Saionji and Juri would realize how samiliar they are. Understanding!

10. More of Mitsuru's schemes.

11. Less Anthy.

Last edited by BlackRoseVixen (06-13-2009 01:47:41 AM)

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#14 | Back to Top06-13-2009 02:13:00 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

1) Kozue would have sex with more people

2) Less men riding open shirted on the hoods of their cars. It just showed how cheap and tacky they were.

3) Definitely less Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku, but you could tell that the director loves using the same songs/sequences throughout episodes, just like how he did it in Sailor Moon.

4) Seconded on the more Anthy/Utena friend scenes.

5) Wakaba would have punched Saionji in the face. And then thrown him from her apartment.

#15 | Back to Top06-13-2009 03:10:42 AM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

PrinceoftheLostEternity wrote:

6.) The episode in which Anthy and Utena switch bodies thanks to Nanami's prank with the curry could have been split into a couple of episodes in which Anthy was made to duel someone (Idk, Saionji!?) as Utena, immasculating him as payback for all the times he slapped her up.

YEAH!! What a great idea!!

Adding to what I stated earlier:

More naked Anthy scene.

More sexual tension (or just plain tension if you don't like the idea of watching a yuri couple in a yuri anime)

Utena got slapped in the face by Anthy (don't ask me why I want to see it)~

#16 | Back to Top06-13-2009 08:49:45 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

1) More Shiori.

2) More Shiori & Juri.

3) More Shiori/Juri

4) MORE Shiori/Juri

5) Kill the AkioMullet with fire

6) Utena gets a clue

7) More info on the whole Anthy, good or evil? debate.

8) Sorry to say it guys, but less yaoi. emot-gonk

9) ISHIPSHIORIANDJURISOVERYHARD.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#17 | Back to Top06-13-2009 05:31:16 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'd be interested in more of the Juri/Shiori/Ruka triangle. Shiori's presence is what makes Juri and Ruka into characters that I find interesting.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#18 | Back to Top06-13-2009 06:02:29 PM

SwordKing
Saionji Slapper

Throw out the dinky little swords and have them fight with giant robots instead.

#19 | Back to Top06-13-2009 07:14:49 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

SwordKing wrote:

Throw out the dinky little swords and have them fight with giant robots instead.

Isn't it Imaginary Bad Bug who always says SKU is like Evangelion except with roses and duels instead of Angels and Mechas and vice versa?

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#20 | Back to Top06-13-2009 07:24:07 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Explain Tokiko a little more, she is the only adult who isn't depraved or corrupt or a martinet but she is too much of a cipher and deserves better. For that matter Nemuro is not explained or developed as well as he should be.

#21 | Back to Top06-13-2009 09:12:26 PM

PrinceoftheLostEternity
Rose Assignee

brian wrote:

Explain Tokiko a little more, she is the only adult who isn't depraved or corrupt or a martinet but she is too much of a cipher and deserves better. For that matter Nemuro is not explained or developed as well as he should be.

Yeah...They COULD have done more with Nemuro. I mean, he was freaky with his whole pedophilia thing with Mamiya, but...yeah. Just sayin. I mean, his M.J. emulation aside, he was a rather intriguing character. I'd have loved to have seen more aout him. And with what ShatteredMirror said about the Ruka/Juri/Shiori thing. I'd have loved to have seen Juri angsting out more in general. Gotta love angsty lesbians!

I want your love and I want your revenge, you and me can write a bad romance.

The profile formerly known as Prince... oftheLostEternity... was a shared profile, one of whose users hasn't been around for a while.  The other one is now posting as DiddlyPanda.  Wewt!  emot-biggrin

#22 | Back to Top06-13-2009 11:28:12 PM

KillerxXxQueen
Snowdrop Lover

Blood. Why are there swords and no blood? Never really made sense since the show isn't geared toward kids AT ALL.

Utena is too stupid. I get it, innocence and whatnot...she's a moron.

And does school ever happen there? For realz, now.

LESS STAIRS. Love Zettai Unmei, but really? REALLY?!

And people need to realize how fucked up everything is. The way Utena does in the last few episodes. How can people not notice all the shit that goes down?

More prominent cocktower would be hellamusing.

Also, RANDOM CARROT!!!

"Reason I know is only a drug and, as such, its effects are never permanent."
                                                         --Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

#23 | Back to Top06-14-2009 12:17:18 AM

Twisted
Juri Jeerer

1) Only some eps need to be redone... but then again I haven't watched the remastered

2) Ruka does not die!

3) Chigusa and the game girl!

4) Name the game girl Sakura because it is the single most used name in anime

5) The shadow girls from the movie make thier apperance

6) Stop showing chars for one ep then they disappear! (background shots don't count ><)

7) Chigusa!

8) And make the whole thing longer with more character development

But all and all, Utena is a fabulous series >< and my all time favorite emot-keke

Me No SpElL gOoD

#24 | Back to Top06-14-2009 12:19:45 AM

Twisted
Juri Jeerer

brian wrote:

Yeah...They COULD have done more with Nemuro. I mean, he was freaky with his whole pedophilia thing with Mamiya, but...yeah. Just sayin. I mean, his M.J. emulation aside, he was a rather intriguing character. I'd have loved to have seen more aout him. And with what ShatteredMirror said about the Ruka/Juri/Shiori thing. I'd have loved to have seen Juri angsting out more in general. Gotta love angsty lesbians!

If you haven't noticed, Ohtori is full of Pedos o.0 And Nemuro was still in high school.

Me No SpElL gOoD

#25 | Back to Top06-14-2009 12:43:30 AM

Frangipangie
Ohtori Paramouri

Twisted wrote:

brian wrote:

If you haven't noticed, Ohtori is full of Pedos o.0 And Nemuro was still in high school.

Still kinda pedo. Actually, what is the age gap with them?

I would:
1. Get a better english dub. With semi-famous people. I would be all over certain characters if they had the voices I wish they had.
ESPECIALLY ANTHY.
2. Background characters cannot sound like valley girls.
3. Moar Wakaba. Specifically, moar Wakaba beating the crap out of certain green haired people.

"I hope you get reincarnated as an animal everyone likes. Like a lamb...
But not an eating lamb."

Board footer