This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top03-17-2008 12:44:34 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Re: The Manga Thread

I'm a rabid Mello fangirl, and my biggest complaint about the anime was how much his character got cut down. He had far less screen time than what he deserved. I'm not much for Near either, but I'm not one of the fans who simply disliked him because they were "loyal" to L. I just thought he was creepy, and not in an interesting way. Plus, the whole Mello thing put me at odds.

It seems that most of the fandom has a keen interest in L, but I've always been more of a Light fan. I think he's an extremely selective character, and I can understand why most people didn't much care for him.

And I'll also add in that I actually do like Misa, a rarity in the realm of female fans! I think people are just too hard on her, becuase honestly, we all have a friend who is like Misa. I also think that many people overlook the fact that her parents were murdered, and Light is the one who brought their killer to justice. Yes, she loves Light for more than his stance as Kira, but c'mon. If anything, her loyalty is admirable, if not just a tad credulous. I didn't like her to begin with, so it's not like I'm completely oblivious to why so many people didn't like her, but I still think she doesn't quite deserve all the negative fandom.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#52 | Back to Top03-18-2008 01:44:14 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

...Am I the only one who liked Near? emot-redface I liked him because he was kind of freaky and made Light frustrated. And he had cute white curly hair. emot-keke

That being said, I'm not a DN fangirl. Perhaps I should read the manga though, because I've only seen the anime and it disturbs me that several things were cut/left out of it (Matt barely had any screen time, for instance).

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#53 | Back to Top03-18-2008 12:34:20 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Maarika wrote:

Matt barely had any screen time, for instance.

Unfortunately, this doesn't change in the manga. He was in all of 10 panels.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#54 | Back to Top03-21-2008 10:56:52 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Ahh, Excel Saga volume 17 is finally here! It's a pain to wait whole of six months between the volumes, damn it! emot-mad

And damn Rikdo's constant hints of plot unfolding right under our noses, when we see barest glimpses of what's actually happening in the background. He is an evil, evil scriptwriter. Now just what is the secret connection between Excel and the Ropponmatsu-Core...

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#55 | Back to Top03-22-2008 08:24:59 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I've been reading a lot of shoujo-ai manga. One of which is Strawberry Panic. I must admit that I was very happy that the manga was licensed. A lot of people understandably hate it, but it's good when you keep in mind that the whole thing is a parody. emot-tongue The drama isn't supposed to be sad. The anime was meant to be a parody off of the major shoujo-ai series. In Maria-sama ga Miteru, the statue of Maria is really looking at you. In Strawberry Panic, it's facing down, and so it isn't looking at anyone.

Not to mention that I would bet my life that Otori, (hmm,) and her reputation as a prince who really does ride white horses is a play off of the female princes in SKU. I also don't think that there's an SKU fan alive who wouldn't think that Nanami looks exactly like Momomi. (Hmmmm.)

#56 | Back to Top03-23-2008 07:21:18 PM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Though I wasn't a fan of the anime, I might just pick up Strawberry Panic for the yuri. There aren't enough yuri/shoujo-ai mangas released in English...

Speaking of which, does anybody know any websites where you can order old Japanese mangas? I'm looking for Sword of Paros and Rose of Versailles, but neither are available on eBay and the English translations are very slow.emot-frown

#57 | Back to Top03-23-2008 08:28:40 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Adrasteia wrote:

There aren't enough yuri/shoujo-ai mangas released in English...

Try Seven Seas' Strawberry line, which is dedicated to shoujo-ai/yuri.   I've got a couple of their releases, namely Voiceful and the first volume of First Love Sisters.  Actually, I think Strawberry Panic may have been their first release in that line...

I thought Voiceful was alright... it's a bit short being a one-off, so character development was on the lacking side, but I thought First Love Sisters was great, and can't wait for future volumes of it.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (03-23-2008 08:43:43 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#58 | Back to Top04-05-2008 10:23:29 PM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

I'm so pleased that I found a scanlation of I.S. online. It's a shoujo manga about intersexuals which won an award a few years ago. The first volume was excellent and inspiring. For anyone interested in LBGT issues, this is a must read. I hope somebody releases it in English.

#59 | Back to Top04-06-2008 01:06:38 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I started reading Evangelion manga. I don't know how it is going to be compared with the anime, but I like it so far. The art is very pretty, I love Sadamoto's drawing style.

And the scanlation team who's releasing HEN doesn't have a translator for the last volume. It's a great manga so it's sad to see it being delay for an indefinite time. emot-frown

#60 | Back to Top04-06-2008 09:44:56 AM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Maarika wrote:

...Am I the only one who liked Near? emot-redface I liked him because he was kind of freaky and made Light frustrated. And he had cute white curly hair. emot-keke

That being said, I'm not a DN fangirl. Perhaps I should read the manga though, because I've only seen the anime and it disturbs me that several things were cut/left out of it (Matt barely had any screen time, for instance).

I liked Near but L is my favorite DN character. I have my L figure sitting on my computer at work, maybe he helps me focus? emot-keke Light is fascinating though.

I have to say I enjoyed the anime so much better than the manga.

#61 | Back to Top04-06-2008 09:51:37 AM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Razara wrote:

I've been reading a lot of shoujo-ai manga. One of which is Strawberry Panic. I must admit that I was very happy that the manga was licensed. A lot of people understandably hate it, but it's good when you keep in mind that the whole thing is a parody. emot-tongue The drama isn't supposed to be sad. The anime was meant to be a parody off of the major shoujo-ai series. In Maria-sama ga Miteru, the statue of Maria is really looking at you. In Strawberry Panic, it's facing down, and so it isn't looking at anyone.

Not to mention that I would bet my life that Otori, (hmm,) and her reputation as a prince who really does ride white horses is a play off of the female princes in SKU. I also don't think that there's an SKU fan alive who wouldn't think that Nanami looks exactly like Momomi. (Hmmmm.)

I just finished the Strawberry Panic anime (episodes are on Veoh) and saw lots of SKU "homages" in it from the French architecture of the buildings to the watering of the flowers in the greenhouse, etc. SP has some great moments and a satisfying ending so I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. I'll try the manga next.

#62 | Back to Top04-07-2008 11:55:22 AM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Maarika wrote:

And the scanlation team who's releasing HEN doesn't have a translator for the last volume. It's a great manga so it's sad to see it being delay for an indefinite time. emot-frown

emot-frown I suppose on the bright side, most people never expected it to reach the 2nd last volume. I know there are english scripts available online to accompany the Japanese manga, so maybe somebody could use that dialogue and match it up with the images? If I could find those scripts again, I'd happily do it.

I'm just starting the 8th volume of Death Note, but I'm not really sure what to think. In a way I agree with those who say the manga deteriorates after the 7th... I don't want to include any spoilers, but I really wasn't pleased with the new changes to "L". I like Near, though, but Mello, not so much.

#63 | Back to Top04-11-2008 02:49:00 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I'm re-reading Someday's Dreamers: Spellbound (story Norie Yamada, artwork Kumichi Yoshizuki ( etc-love ) ) since I just received the final volume in the mail a couple of weeks ago.

And I just got the first half or so of Tsukuyomi, so that's probably next.  I've seen and enjoy the anime version of it very much, so now it's time to read it.

I also need to re-read School Rumble, as I am now watching the anime for the first time, and I have new volumes of the manga that I haven't read yet either...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#64 | Back to Top04-12-2008 10:55:15 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

I'm re-reading Someday's Dreamers: Spellbound (story Norie Yamada, artwork Kumichi Yoshizuki ( etc-love ) ) since I just received the final volume in the mail a couple of weeks ago.

I loved it!

#65 | Back to Top04-12-2008 11:24:10 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

I've started reading Buddha by Tezuka Osamu.  The art is definitely different, but it's definitely an enjoyable experience thus far.  (Oh, I should have punned and said it was an "enlightening experience" instead, but I'm just not that cruel.)

Last edited by Cerise (04-14-2008 07:52:11 PM)

#66 | Back to Top04-14-2008 07:08:47 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Volume 9 of School Rumble arrived in the mail for me today! emot-dance  Sara's on the cover.  etc-love

I'm such a Yakumo x Sara fan, even if it's not canon.  Yakumo's my favorite... her power of being mysterious and low-key was somehow able to surpass even Tenma's twintails. emot-biggrin

#67 | Back to Top04-18-2008 09:09:13 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

YAY! TokyoPop has licensed Kannazuki no Miko manga! Both volumes will be released soon. emot-dance (I'm too broke to buy anything right now, anyway)

#68 | Back to Top04-18-2008 10:40:27 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Maarika wrote:

YAY! TokyoPop has licensed Kannazuki no Miko manga! Both volumes will be released soon. emot-dance

These will be mine too, I suspect.  Should I listen to "Re-sublimity" before I read and "agony" after each time I pick it up? emot-keke

#69 | Back to Top04-18-2008 11:50:24 AM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

I cannot wait for the Kannazuki manga!emot-dance Kaishaku's artwork is great. As much as I loathed the Steel Angel Kurumi manga(which my brother bought me as a christmas gift, haha), I really do admire the detail he puts into his work.

I wish somebody would release the Oniisama E and Rose of Versailles manga. emot-frown

#70 | Back to Top04-18-2008 11:57:09 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Maarika wrote:

YAY! TokyoPop has licensed Kannazuki no Miko manga! Both volumes will be released soon. emot-dance

These will be mine too, I suspect.  Should I listen to "Re-sublimity" before I read and "agony" after each time I pick it up? emot-keke

Anything by KOTOKO is fine! ;D

Oh, I'm mostly glad there is going to be more yuri manga in English. There's a serious lack of those.

And I would love to read some Ikeda's work, although I doubt they're going to translate them because they're quite old (but good!).

#71 | Back to Top04-19-2008 09:03:23 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Because I saw it mentioned in the anime thread, I thought I'd mention that Del Rey has licensed the Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei manga. It was announced at New York ComicCon.

I don't know much about the series myself (yet, anyway), but since a bunch of you seem to be fans I thought I'd give you all a heads up. emot-smile

#72 | Back to Top04-25-2008 09:29:42 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I started reading "Shiroi Heya no Futari", a '70s yuri manga. emot-biggrin The art looks very much like something Ikeda would draw, it looks kind of naive but it's fun enough to read. Also, I'm beginning to see where all those yuri archetypes come from.

edit: gah, is there a yuri with happy ending? Dx

Last edited by Maarika (04-25-2008 09:46:22 AM)

#73 | Back to Top04-25-2008 10:02:29 AM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Haha, I was wondering what you'd think of the ending of that one. emot-tongue It is fairly old, so I guess understandable(you see the same thing with a lot of older gay superheroes).

And you're 100% right about those archetypes - the mature, darkhaired woman and innocent, fairhaired maiden are pretty popular. I can list off 4 or 5 shows, anime and non-anime alike, which follow this pattern, although animes like Oniisama E and Sailor Moon do not. Utena doesn't, either, but Utena doesn't follow many patterns.

There's an 80's yuri manga called The Sword of Paros which supposedly has a happy ending. I haven't been able to find it, though...

#74 | Back to Top04-25-2008 10:15:25 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

HEN issupposed to have a happy ending, too, but I haven't read it all yet. I think EMS has only one more chapter to release and that would be all until they find a translator for the remaining 3 volumes. *sigh*

Speaking of which, the last two chapters were hilarious. I love how Chizuru deals with sex-crazed kids. emot-biggrin Also, looking back, there's been lots of character development too, which is always a good thing.

#75 | Back to Top05-06-2008 11:59:10 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

I love Eden~It's an Endless World! and I want to get the other volumes. Although I'll admit the second half of the volume I had was a little anti-climatic, I love, love, love the art and sheer detail put into every panel. Even the gray-scaled color panels look amazing.... and it is so disturbing and sad. I highly recommend it to all, but I warn that there is a lot of slamming of Religion.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/eden-gn-1-2

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

Board footer