This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-03-2006 12:36:57 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Current Anime

What animes are people currently watching, and which would you recommend?

I myself am currently watching Asatte no Houkou, Hataraki Man, Bleach, Tenou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi, Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori, Goldfish Alert, Ghost Hunt... and I think that's it. I am also watching Negima?! and Death Note, but only very sporadically - they're decent shows, but they just don't grab me completely (I'll admit that the amount of hype over Death Note probably turned me off of it a bit). And I just recently started watching Digimon Savers again.

Of those, I would recommend only Hataraki Man, Goldfish Alert, and Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori to everyone (although in JS's case, only after you watch the first season). I'm not recommending Bleach 'cause I'm pretty sure enough people recommend it as it is - I don't need to add to that (although I love the show).

As for why I'm not recommending any of the others... well, Asatte no Houkou is the sort of anime I think only a limited audience would enjoy - slice-of-life, extremely slow-moving, old-fashioned-ish animation (at least in regards to backgrounds). Ghost Hunt, while I enjoy it, seems to have had a horrifically bad budget based on animation quality, and it lacking vocal/well-animated opening and endings - and I'm not sure a lot of people would be interested in an animated version of that SciFi Channel show Ghost Hunters. As for Tenou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi... I'm not even sure if I like it yet. The animation is really good, and in parts its to die for, and I like the characters, but I'm not too sure how much I like the storyline yet. Also, for some reason it seems like many anime fans find even the slightest whiff of politics to be a show-killer.

Hataraki Man takes place in a large magazine's office, and focuses on Hiroko, a diehard worker. The show follows her as she works on articles, and also examines the difficulties she has in maintaining her relationship with her boyfriend, also a diehard office worker. I do it absolutely no justice in my summary - this thing is really good, and its aimed at a 20-something audience.

Goldfish Alert is pretty old - it first aired in 1991. But this show is absolutely awesome. Goldfish Alert starts off with introducing us to a young girl, Chitose, who has recently been orphaned, and is now poor. Her only thing left from her father is her goldfish, who is pink and is able to fly around in the air. Being poor means she transfers to a run-down school, but as it turns out, she isn't really poor, so she buys the school and restores it. The rest of the show concerns her attempts to try to make the student populace be more civilized. The real star of the show is probably Wapiko, though, a hyper, pink-haired, girl who is usually partially to blame for the failure of Chitose's attempts to make the students more civilized. I cannot possibly express how much I adore this show.

Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori continues the show Jigoku Shoujo, which was about a girl known as Enma Ai who's job it is is to be the Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl). People make contracts with her in which they can send a tormentor to hell, but only if they're willing to go to hell after they die, too. It is mostly episodic, although the first season gets an overarching plotline around episode twelve, and the second season seems to have one from about episode three. Its really good, has good character designs, good music, and really nice animation. There is also a live-action version airing now.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#2 | Back to Top12-03-2006 12:54:41 PM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

Re: Current Anime

Right now I'm watching Welcome to the NHK, one of my favourites anime.

The story talks about an hikikomori(japanese nerd that doesn't leave go out their home) Saito, one day he encounter a girl Misaki, that wants to help him. However, Saito declines, saying that He is not a hikikomori, but his isolation is justified because he programs softwares(namely, he lies). But Misaki wants proof of this.
   So Saito asks help to his ex-college-friend, Yamazaki, a student in the game designers university. Saito and Yamakazi plans to make a gal-game(common: hentai game). Here, we can say, the story begin.

It's an Anime, It isn't an Hentai Anime. The story seems to be incentred more to Saito's life(problems, anguish etc...) then the "object" (making the gal-game).

It's really beautiful, I raccomend this.

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#3 | Back to Top12-03-2006 03:37:48 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I'm one of those people that tries to catch all the first episodes as they come out, but generally only sticks with two or three.

Right now I'm watching NANA because sometimes if I don't placate the little girly girl in me she catches me when I'm off gaurd outside and buys a shit ton of makeup. It really is kind of cute, and I know about the drama parade to come from the manga and I'm engrossed in the story.

Red Garden is relatively enjoyable. The voice acting completely makes up for the "SHOWCASE OF AMERICAN GROTESQUE" that's the animation. I can't help but think that the artist behind the character designs really thinks all white chicks look like drag queens. It's definitely growing into an interesting series.

Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori, because the first season is amazing and the second season is moseying down the path to better. It's one of the two 2006 animes I'd toss in my top 20.

Asatte no Houkou has a really interesting premise but I'm not sure I'm going to keep watching it since I'm getting the vibes that I already know how it'll end.

Happiness! BECAUSE FLUFF. And trannies. Fluff and trannies.

I'll watch Death Note after I get around to finishing the manga and I'm not watching D. Grey-man because I read the manga. ;/

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#4 | Back to Top12-03-2006 05:14:32 PM

Christi_Morelei
Touga Topper
Website

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. That's all I'm gonna say. Watch it, it's fantastic.

Aside from that, mostly I've been watching D.Gray-man, Death Note, and Yamato Nadeshiko Shichihenge; which is a bit strange for me, as I've read the manga to all those three, and am mostly just watching them to see how well the transition from manga-to-anime goes. Death Note is spectacular, and I highly reccomend it to anyone who just plain likes anime. It's one of the better ones I've seen in a while. D.Gray-man is also really good, but the series is not for everyone; I know a lot of people who tried reading it/watching it and just couldn't get excited about it. I was about twenty chapters into the manga before it really picked up for me. But if you want something different, D.Gray-man is a great show. The opening theme song is ridiculously catchy, too. I'm watching Yamato Nadeshiko Shichihenge because I loved the manga to bits and pieces, and-- well. The anime is directed by Nabeshin. It's a special level of weird and crack. I like it personally, but if you are a die-hard fan of the manga, you might be steered away.

(Personally, I'd watch Death Note just to hear Miyano Mamoru's creepy laughter. school-devil)

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." - Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

#5 | Back to Top12-03-2006 09:58:53 PM

Kanashimi
Juri Jeerer
Website

Hinotori wrote:

Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori, because the first season is amazing and the second season is moseying down the path to better. It's one of the two 2006 animes I'd toss in my top 20.

I'm currently watching that as well, I'm only three episodes in though---very good series.

Ayashi No Ceres - This story is complex, so I'll just put up Wikipedia's summary, "The story revolves around a teenage girl named Aya and her older twin brother Aki, members of the wealthy and powerful Mikage family. On their sixteenth birthday, they are called to gather in their family home to be given a special present. The present was actually some sort of test -- which Aya failed. She is proven to be a reincarnation of a tennyō (celestial maiden), and when her hidden memory is jogged, she will transform into Ceres, the tennyo. According to the legend, if left to live, the reincarnation of Ceres will bring ruin upon the Mikage family. Aya quickly finds she is being hunted by her own family who plans to kill her." It's by the creator of Fushigi Yugi, guess a more violent anime. It's pretty old and I've only found time to watch it recently.

Ultra Maniac - Nina is from the Magical Kingdom and happen to be a witch in training per sa. She meets another girl named Ayu who she quickly befriends. The two struggle with magic, boys, and high school life. Basic kind of plot, but it's cute and has a catchy theme song. ^-^

Eh, that's it for now. I have a few others I need to watch, but I don't want my list to grow too big.

#6 | Back to Top12-03-2006 11:34:28 PM

puella_nerdii
Miki Molester

Quite a lot, actually, thanks to my college's Anime Society.

Black Lagoon. Badass mercenary team takes on every single organized crime group known to man. And the CIA. And Nazis. It's hilarious, it's dramatic, it's just plain awesome. The characters rock hard. And there's a scene where the torpedo boat the mercenaries ride around in goes airborne and launches a torpedo riiiight into a low-flying helicopter. It's one of the best scenes ever. Highly recommended.

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. This is another fun one, and one that I think Utena fans would enjoy. It revolves around a series of murders in a small town--there are several different story arcs that present different resolutions to the mystery based on the actions of the protagonist. Plus, it has cute little girls wielding meat cleavers. What more do you want?

Ouran High Host Club. Crack. Crack. And more crack. I can't count the number of times I've fallen out of my seat laughing during this one. Haruhi gets pressed into  being a host at the immensely popular Ouran High Host Club to cover the costs of a shattered eight-million-yen vase. The catch? Haruhi's a girl. The show sends up every shojo stereotype out there. The art style's very Utena-esque, both in the MASSIVE amounts of roses and in the way people's faces are drawn.

Death Note. Bored teenage genius gets the power to kill people by writing their names in a shinigami's notebook. Another genius teen marshals the forces of the police to bring him down when he starts killing criminals. The interaction between L and Light is so much fun to watch, the artwork's gorgeous, and the head games are delicious. And the voice actors make me drool so very much. Mmm.
I'll shut up now.

I've also been watching Bleach, Samurai 7, Dai Mahou Toge, and Speed Grapher, although not as regularly.

#7 | Back to Top12-03-2006 11:55:42 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I'm currently re-watching Evangelion with the scenes the redid/put in.
(the last time I saw it was fansub tapes X__x)

Evangelion is about... err.. its about Evangelion. And delicious delicious Gendo.
I absolutely adore End of Evangelion though. ...Keeping in mind I couldn't explain it for the life of me.

People keep giving me episodes of Bleach to watch, but I'm far too busy, lazy and have too short an attention span.

...I also etc-love the new Hellsing. It's much better than the series.

(...I don't watch much, no. X_x)

#8 | Back to Top12-03-2006 11:59:20 PM

A Day Without Me

allegoriest wrote:

People keep giving me episodes of Bleach to watch, but I'm far too busy, lazy and have too short an attention span.

I actually have to admit snickering a bit in laughter at that since Bleach doesn't really require a fantastic attention span, especially in comparison to Utena. If you do ever get the chance to, you should check it out, 'cause its a rather fun series even if it is fairly simplistic.

EDIT: I just realized that Bleach and Utena actually have some very vague parallels. OH EM GEE.

Last edited by A Day Without Me (12-03-2006 11:59:59 PM)

#9 | Back to Top12-04-2006 12:42:50 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

allegoriest wrote:

I actually have to admit snickering a bit in laughter at that since Bleach doesn't really require a fantastic attention span, especially in comparison to Utena.

...You are talkign to a person who can't sit through a whole AMV. X__x They made me sit through two episodes to see some obscure character who they said looked like me. For a day I was curious as to what happened, but my tiny tiny mind eventually got carried away with work. X_x

#10 | Back to Top12-04-2006 01:14:47 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Some of the animes I have been watching

School Rumble
Is a comedy that covers the daily life of second year high school student Tsukamoto Tenma, her friends, her classmates, and their many unsuccessful attempts at love as well as not realising the fact that Harima the bearded delinquent is in love with her.  Its very random and cracks me up plenty of times. etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Ah! My Goddess: Everyone Has Wings
This series follows the manga a lot better and is certainly worth watching. etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Peach Girl 
Is a high school drama centered on Momo Adachi. A member of the swim team, Momo tans easily and her hair is bleached out; unfortunately, she is stereotyped as a ganguro girl by her ignorant classmates, and is forced to endure rumors about being a beach bunny and a slut. Her only 'friend' is the fair and beautiful Sae, who secretly hates Momo but only pretends to be her friend to benefit from her superior fashion sense. I like this show cos of the powerplays and intrigue. etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

#11 | Back to Top12-10-2006 01:54:26 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

I've been pretty busy lately, so the only new anime I've really been following is NANA. I usually don't go for shoujo-dramas, but this is fantastic. Ai Yazawa manages to add an angle of realism that somehow reminds me, in a bluesy way, of Cowboy Bebop.

I do want to watch the full series of Cardcaptor Sakura I've had on my hard drive for a while now. emot-dance

#12 | Back to Top12-10-2006 05:47:45 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Trench Kamen wrote:

I've been pretty busy lately, so the only new anime I've really been following is NANA. I usually don't go for shoujo-dramas, but this is fantastic. Ai Yazawa manages to add an angle of realism that somehow reminds me, in a bluesy way, of Cowboy Bebop.

I do want to watch the full series of Cardcaptor Sakura I've had on my hard drive for a while now. emot-dance

Ah, are you reading the manga? (You don't really have to. The series is following the story line just about perfectly.. but since it's only a 50 episode series I'm assuming they're going to diverge at some point. I'm just not sure where since they forshadowed on something that hasn't really been thorougly explored in the manga...)

It's supposed to be pretty popular among both genders in Japan (though I suspect the premise gives the female bit a good angle) but the whole story is, in a very subdued way, focusing on some pretty heavy concepts. "Making a choice when all your options are shit-terrible" seems to be a common theme, which is probably why I like it so much.

#13 | Back to Top12-10-2006 06:50:36 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I was downloading Flash episodes of the second season of School Rumble onto my laptop so I can watch it at my own pace and not worry about wasting my quota of bandwidth and I had only Episode 25 and 26 left to upload when I found out that it wouldn't download anymore.  When I checked to see if it was the right address, it turned out that Funimation asked Youtube to take all the episodes of School Rumble off.

The ironic thing was, all I needed was just a lousy extra 20 minutes or so to download with and I would have had those last two episodes and therefore the entire series. DAMMIT!

I can only hope that someone else will upload 25 and 26 of Season 2 of school Rumble again onto Youtube again and keep it on long enough for me to grab it.

Last edited by Tamago (12-10-2006 07:55:39 PM)

#14 | Back to Top12-10-2006 07:03:46 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Tamago wrote:

I can only hope that someone will upload 25 and 26 of Season 2 onto Youtube againand keep it on long enough for me to grab it.

*cough*

You could, y'know... just a thought... buy it...

Too bad you don't live in NA, where renting it online is cheap and easy.

As for me, I watch very little "new" anime since I avoid fansubs and other illegal methods of distribution. I'm currently either renting or buying through Overman King Gainer (pretty good so far), His And Her Circumstances (very good so far), Brigadoon (also very good and unfortunately obscure), and watching Eureka 7 (sucks), Full Metal Alchemist (s'okay), and Bleach (very good so far) on TV.

Last edited by Blade (12-10-2006 07:04:30 PM)

#15 | Back to Top12-10-2006 07:46:11 PM

A Day Without Me

Blade wrote:

Tamago wrote:

I can only hope that someone will upload 25 and 26 of Season 2 onto Youtube againand keep it on long enough for me to grab it.

*cough*

You could, y'know... just a thought... buy it...

Too bad you don't live in NA, where renting it online is cheap and easy.

As for me, I watch very little "new" anime since I avoid fansubs and other illegal methods of distribution.

Yeah, I guess I operate in the moral grey area - I will watch unlicensed shows that have been fansubbed, but I won't ever touch fansubs of a licensed show. It really bothers me when people do obtain illegal copies of licensed shows emot-mad

As for Bleach... I bought the first DVD and pre-ordered the second, so I do still watch the fansubs just because I want to keep up with the new episodes. I'm gonna buy every volume they release, though - I've already started, after all.

#16 | Back to Top12-10-2006 08:00:01 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

From all the video places that I know that sell anime over here, I haven't come across any shows like Utena series, School Rumble, Ouran Host Club on DVD to buy, mainly cos the anime market over here in Oz is way smaller than in the US. 

And trying to buy it online is damn tricky as well as I don't qualify for either a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.

Blade wrote:

Watching His And Her Circumstances

The anime starts off pretty good but because of infighting between the manga artist that created Kare Kano (as it is also known) and the anime studio, the last couple of DVDs were overloaded with recapping apon recapping which spoilted it somewhat, you are way better off buying the Kare Kano manga.

I have already bought 20 vol of the Kare Kano manga(RRP AU$20) and I am waiting for the 21st and last vol of the series.

Personally they should redo His and Hers Circumstances after the episode where Yukino goes postal on Tsubasa's ass as that was funny as! emot-biggrinemot-biggrinemot-danceemot-dance

Last edited by Tamago (12-10-2006 08:09:48 PM)

#17 | Back to Top12-10-2006 08:09:43 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

At Rightstuf http://www.rightstuf.com/, you can buy something via cheque or money order. I imagine there's quite a few other retailers where you can use money order as well, and you don't need a credit card or even a bank account for those.

#18 | Back to Top12-10-2006 08:23:05 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Blade wrote:

At Rightstuf http://www.rightstuf.com/, you can buy something via cheque or money order. I imagine there's quite a few other retailers where you can use money order as well, and you don't need a credit card or even a bank account for those.

I had a poke around the site but they don't seem to have School Rumble on DVD yet, knowing my luck, they haven't released it yet, I would still get the DVD as long as they are uncut and I would be curious to see how the dub version would sound.

I can just about imagine them dubbing Harima with the same voice as Vegeta from DBZ or Tenma been dubbed by Lisa Ortiz(Lina Inverse), Amanda Winn Lee(Rei Ayanami) dubbing Akira would suit her pretty well and Eri should be dubbed by the same person who did Asuka just cos they look alike.

Edit: Grammar

Last edited by Tamago (12-11-2006 04:03:33 AM)

#19 | Back to Top12-10-2006 08:38:29 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Checking AnimeonDVD, Funimation's got School Rumble (Season 1, 2, and OAV), but you're right, not released yet. Therefore you may indeed see Funi Vegeta dubbing Harima, though in my heart the only Vegeta voice will always be Brian Drummond. emot-biggrin

#20 | Back to Top12-13-2006 08:41:24 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Hinotori wrote:

Trench Kamen wrote:

Ah, are you reading the manga? (You don't really have to. The series is following the story line just about perfectly.. but since it's only a 50 episode series I'm assuming they're going to diverge at some point. I'm just not sure where since they forshadowed on something that hasn't really been thorougly explored in the manga...)

It's supposed to be pretty popular among both genders in Japan (though I suspect the premise gives the female bit a good angle) but the whole story is, in a very subdued way, focusing on some pretty heavy concepts. "Making a choice when all your options are shit-terrible" seems to be a common theme, which is probably why I like it so much.

I've only read the first two volumes of the manga, as released in English. And I agree--Loving the realism.

#21 | Back to Top12-13-2006 09:48:27 AM

Alexa
Anthy Assailer

Right now I'm watching Ghost Hunt and Code Geass.  I'd like to get into D.Gray-man because I love the art, but I don't know... I don't remember being that interested in the first episode of the anime or the manga.

#22 | Back to Top12-13-2006 10:06:03 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Alexa, don't bother with the DGM anime. It's pure crap. I didn't like the manga that much either, but the anime butchered everything good in it.

I haven't watched any anime in a while. The last thing I watched was One Piece. Which you should watch. I mean, like, NOW. Then I read the manga, and now I'm flooded with exams and stuff so I don't really have the time or the mood to get into any other anime.

#23 | Back to Top12-13-2006 10:33:10 AM

Alexa
Anthy Assailer

Hina the Prince wrote:

Alexa, don't bother with the DGM anime. It's pure crap. I didn't like the manga that much either, but the anime butchered everything good in it.

Oh.  Shucks. emot-frown  And it's so good-looking, too!

#24 | Back to Top12-13-2006 11:18:11 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Yeah, the manga originally put me off, but the artwork is gorgeous.

I gave up on Code Geass too thinking of it now, but I might take on another series if I have a lot of downtime during winter break and I get snowed in or something. D:

Oh yeah, as far as reccomendations this would be the thread I bring Simoun up in even though I've brought it up in 20 other threads.

#25 | Back to Top12-13-2006 11:30:43 AM

Alexa
Anthy Assailer

Yeah, Code Geass has been fairly underwhelming so far.  Ghost Hunt is kind of interesting, but nothing I like enough to get DVDs of or whatever.

And okay, I was watching Simoun and I really liked it, but for some reason I can no longer find any subs?

Board footer