This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-14-2006 11:37:05 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

...Anthy Leaving Ohtori...

Interesting, would Anthy had left if there was no Utena to go to? She had to choose freedom, yes, but without Utena, would Anthy enough value of self to want to attend the outside world without Utena? So if Utena were dead, or had actually disappeared, do you think Anthy would have stayed with Akio in Ohtori, or left as she did?

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#2 | Back to Top12-15-2006 12:33:33 AM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Re: ...Anthy Leaving Ohtori...

I've heard people postulate that Utena is canonically dead, actually. Not that I agree with that.

I think that, under the circumstances of episode 39, Anthy would have left even if there was no Utena, in memory of what Utena had done for her. However, it's possible she might eventually come back.

#3 | Back to Top12-15-2006 01:10:49 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I don't think Anthy would have stayed. Even if Utena was dead, she'd come out of her coffin and I don't think that she, as a whole individual, would be able to stomach Akio's games. She left to find Utena, but even if there is no Utena, Ohtori doesn't seem to be the type of place you go back to if there's nothing there to call you back the way there was with Ruka and Mikage/Nemuro.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#4 | Back to Top12-15-2006 03:08:15 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I've always wanted to think that Utena died/vanished but Anthy was determined to go find her anyway. That's probably just me being all romantic-like though or something.

#5 | Back to Top12-15-2006 03:35:06 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

It is a romantic notion, the searching for a loved one after they've gone forever just because you don't know for sure that they're dead.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#6 | Back to Top12-15-2006 04:41:48 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Even in case Utena was dead, I see rightly that Anthy had gone away of Ohtori. Utena did not receive ANYTHING in exchange for everything what she did, not value, consideration, respect or so at least that they remembered her (after all that's how people is), the fact that Anthy did remembered her and was determined to find her seems beautiful ;_;

#7 | Back to Top12-15-2006 10:48:33 AM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Whether Utena is dead or not is a moot point.  The point of the ending is to show that Utena really did achieve Revolution and the most direct example of that is Anthy choosing to leave.  The entire epilogue shows the effects of her achieving Revolution.  The Revolution was simply change. 

The conversation between Akio and Anthy when Anthy decides to leave proves that.  Akio is speaking about how he was going to start the duels up again, the implication that he'd been running the duels over and over again for years.  Anthy stops all of that by choosing to not play his game anymore.  Without Utena, had the duels gone on just like all the ones in the past, Anthy would have gone back to the playing the part of the Rose Bride just as she had before.  But because Utena changed things, achieved Revolution, so much had changed in Anthy as well as the other duelists be they seitokai or black rose.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#8 | Back to Top12-15-2006 11:01:01 AM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

I always like to think of Utena being the catalyst for revolution. Maybe the revolution was bound to happen eventually, but with someone like Utena or what Utena became, you have someone who kick starts change. Anthy leaving Ohtori is a result of that revolution, because Utena's revolution (in my opinion) was to bring a sense of self to Anthy.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#9 | Back to Top12-15-2006 11:59:08 AM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I agree with (I think everyone?) that Anthy would have left regardless.

If she had chosen to stay in Ohtori for whatever reason it wouldn't have been as the Rose Bride and I doubt she'd have anything to do with Akio anymore. She'd still feel sorry for him, but he wouldn't be able to bring her around to his side again.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

Board footer