This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#151 | Back to Top08-31-2010 05:16:46 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Re: Your Username...

A fellow Finn, eh? It's been awhile since we've had another one.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#152 | Back to Top09-14-2010 12:43:57 AM

usyagi
New Student
Website

I like rabbits, wings, and odd hiiragana romanization. The name comes from CLAMP's WISH series.

#153 | Back to Top11-14-2012 04:54:49 PM

The_Lame_Goat
Rose Smilee

My story really isn't anything special. My friend just started calling me "lame goat" after having a SKU fan moment.

Oh treachery!

#154 | Back to Top11-14-2012 05:35:53 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

My sister and I were watching Utena with a friend, and when they mentioned Akio's name, my friend asked, "Wait, who is Akio?"
We pointed him out next time Akio came on screen, and my friend said, "He's Akio? I thought his name was.....Dognog."

I have no idea where she even got "Dognog" so I just guessed it was a really messed up version of "Dios" emot-confused

A Dognog-related snack is Ding-Dongs and eggnog!

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#155 | Back to Top11-14-2012 07:39:57 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

It's because of your sig, Dognog.  It says right there that Dognog has a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister.  emot-wink

#156 | Back to Top11-14-2012 08:25:39 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

I can't remember if I had ever posted to this thread, so bear with me if I already have.

But yeah, The reason for my username(which I use almost everywhere online, TBH) is two fold:

- One: to signify my overall anime fandom, as "Onsen Mark" is the teacher of Ataru's class in Urusei Yatsura.
- Two: part of it's my real first name(no, not that -- I doubt there are many people going around with the first name "Onsen", lol.)

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#157 | Back to Top11-14-2012 09:29:25 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

satyreyes wrote:

It's because of your sig, Dognog.  It says right there that Dognog has a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister.  emot-wink

Oh, the sig!
That part came from later that day, when our friend put that as a caption for a picture of Akio. I joined IRG the next day emot-biggrin
(actually I joined a few days before under my main username, but after the Dognog thing I just made a new account under that name!)

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#158 | Back to Top11-14-2012 09:58:36 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

I've hated my first name.

It's boring. Terrible. One syllable. The epitome of lame. It doesn't even have any symbolism in it. Lame.

However, it wasn't until high school when a teacher only called us by our last names that something lit up in my brain. Florence. I don't know anyone in the entire flipping world whose first, middle or last name is Florence. I am...

The only Florence.

#159 | Back to Top11-14-2012 10:58:03 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

TheOnlyFlorence wrote:

I don't know anyone in the entire flipping world whose first, middle or last name is Florence.

Florence Welch from Florence +The Machine and Florence Nightingale come to mind for me. I don't know them of course, but...

#160 | Back to Top11-15-2012 02:06:35 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

My username is my meatspace name as well.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#161 | Back to Top11-15-2012 02:09:12 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I had, a long time ago, written about my username in the thread. It's no longer that name. Short story is that I'd used a particular name for pretty much my entire internet life, and then suddenly it stopped fitting. It was like on of your favorite shirts that you've washed and worn for a long time, but one day you put it on and you look at it and you just suddenly wonder what the heck you were thinking. It's a terrible shirt, and it's stained with a couple holes. You really should pack it away, because it's stuffed with memories, and get a new one.

So that's what I decided to do. I thought about it for months. I kept coming up with things and discarding them. And then I started writing a story. The basis of it was it was a D&D-styled avatar of myself. She was the cleric of a long-forgotten female sun goddess, who she called Sunna (super creative, eh?) but whose name was actually Astella. The character had no name for a very long time, and I kept looking for good names for her. Finally, I looked up 'brilliant' on a baby name site, and the first one that came up was 'Aine'. I clicked on it. And it said that it was a Gaelic/Celtic name, and that my own real middle name was often used as an English version of the name.

I liked the name for the character, but what's more, I suddenly liked the name for myself. Then felt awkward, because I was looking for a character name, not my new internet alias. Then I remembered that my mom and dad, who had also done this same thing, occasionally used their character names from the world as aliases and finally settled on it.

Unfortunately, Aine, on it's own, is very rarely available anywhere. So, I started looking for a second name/last name. This was a lot harder. I threw names at the lovely first name like water balloons in the summer. None fit. I started working through things I liked. Cats, that was silly. Astrology... well, maybe I could do something with... no, not really. Gemstones? Most of those sounded pretentious. Hm, well, what about metals? My favorite metal (and one of my favorite colors) is silver. Hey, maybe I could do something like Silverstar, eh, totally cheesy. Found Silverthorne, which might work as a stage name, or an accent name for my story.

I gave up on the idea of mushing two words together, since most of them sounded cheesy or pretentious, but I liked the dual-to-triple syllable sounds after the (technically, though I often mispronounce it as a singlet) two-syllable first name, especially with the 'Silver-somethings's'. So I started mushing about the word itself, and it warped into Silveria one day while musing about it.

It stuck together, and worked. I gave it a couple weeks, then finally decided it was going to be the right name. Then set about changing what needed to be changed, remaking what I felt like remaking, and frowned at the things that I pretty much couldn't changed (like my PSN login. *irritated face*)

tl;dr: I MADE IT MYSELF.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#162 | Back to Top11-15-2012 07:57:26 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

I just picked this once because I thought it was cute, and then I've been using it a lot since because I usually can't think of anything better.

#163 | Back to Top11-15-2012 12:46:13 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

A reference to Atropos, quite possibly my least favorite Fatima Fates. (Megaella is much cuter.) Still, I use it in so many places I couldn't imagine not having it as a username!

Last edited by Atropos (11-15-2012 12:46:26 PM)

#164 | Back to Top11-16-2012 09:05:21 PM

Saito Hoshikawa
Thorn of Death

Take Japanese human name of one protagonist from Megaman Battle Network, and human protagonist's Jap. last name from Megaman Star Force, and that's my username.

Why? I dunno. It was at the height of my Megaman craziness, but I don't regret it. (... Okay, maybe a little, but only because I've overused the Saito part too many times since then. But it's a hell of a lot better than most anything I had used before then. /Example: USERNAME ST-FULL-MOON WTF ARE YOU ANYMORE emot-gonk/)

Last edited by Saito Hoshikawa (11-16-2012 09:06:09 PM)

"Whatever all this is, it needs to not be a thing at all."

Being a ghosty piece of shit with no standards since 2014 (maybe earlier).

#165 | Back to Top11-16-2012 11:13:52 PM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Because I want my username to different from usual *insertoffranchise*fan888 that I use when it comes to fan forums Etc.
Plus it relates to the show obsession with roses in a symbolic way(Lol).

#166 | Back to Top11-17-2012 09:13:50 PM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

I'm a sucker for Old European literature, particularly post-Roman stuff, Norse epics and the like.

And since right now I'm in the whole mode of "Royal Knight of the Queen" after seeing both Turn A Gundam and Revolutionary Girl Utena at the same time, I couldn't resist but registering under this name hahaha

#167 | Back to Top12-02-2012 11:24:32 AM

Scoluron
Rose Bride

My username is a deliberately ugly amalgamation of the names of PCs in Dallbun's only long-running D&D-style game.

"Himemiya! I've misjudged you!" "My image of you is ruined."

#168 | Back to Top12-02-2012 03:29:17 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

and frowned at the things that I pretty much couldn't changed (like my PSN login. *irritated face*)

Oh god, I know how you feel. I want to change my PSN name.... lots. It looks like there are options for setting up different accounts there... I might look into that at some point, I don't know if it's something that would work or not. Or maybe I can get a new name with the PS4, whenever that comes out. I imagine it's closer than I'd expect, since nintendo's new thing is out. I'll probably need to go through the trouble of opening a new e-mail account somewhere for it or something. Anyways, I really like the new (two-part) name you came up with. I think it sounds great.

I chose my name mostly because I felt it was fairly genderless, which I enjoyed. I'm a male if anyone here cares, and hasn't read the secret santa thread, but yeah. I also like the way it sort of "flows" with the l's and... soft v? I'm really not sure how to describe a word phonetically. I guess I'll stop trying and just say I liked the way it sounded.

#169 | Back to Top12-02-2012 08:21:39 PM

pinkgarish
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

I love the colour pink, so I'm always wearing it and using it in my artwork and stuff. I painted a picture for art class once using only shades of pink and my art teacher asked why it was so "garishly pink". So yeah haha my username is kind of lame but that's where it came from!

"Which sky shall we travel to next?"

#170 | Back to Top12-03-2012 12:26:37 AM

Dazmi
Miki Molester
Website

My Grandfather introduced me to Everquest when I was roughly 7-8 years old. He suggested the name 'Dazmi' for some reason and I still use this name. So, yeah.

Last edited by Dazmi (12-03-2012 12:50:33 AM)

#171 | Back to Top12-03-2012 07:45:07 AM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Dazmi wrote:

My Grandfather introduced me to Everquest when I was roughly 7-8 years old. He suggested the name 'Dazmi' for some reason and I still use this name. So, yeah.

You: "Wow, this looks like a fun game!"

Your Grandpa: "It sure is. Would you like to play?"

You: "No, I'll just watch for now. Which character are you?"

Your Grandpa: "Dazmi."

You: "What? Which one is that?"

You: "No, I don't know which that one is."

Your Grandpa: "The healer, right there."

You: "Oooooh, THAT'S you."

Your Grandpa: "No, Dazmi."

You: "Grandpa, you crazy. What's your healer's name?"

You: "No, Grandpa, I know which one you're talking about now. What did you name them?"

Your Grandpa: "To avoid Abbott and Costello getting any more pissed than they would be, Dazmi, spelled D-A-Z-M-I is the name of the healer that I am playing as. To confirm, *points to character* this is the character I am playing as, whom I have named D-A-Z-M-I."

You: "Grandpa, I don't understand that reference."

Your Grandpa: "You will when you're older, and even then it might not be as funny."

#172 | Back to Top12-03-2012 07:44:28 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I got my user name from my dad's mom. emot-wink

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#173 | Back to Top12-05-2012 12:14:55 AM

chevalierprincesse
New Student
Website

I was attempting to come up with an interesting sounding SKU-related url for Tumblr (which is sort of like a username, I guess). I would've gone with chevalierprince but I wanted something that had a bit of feminine flair to it. Hence, the princesse part.

Another idea I'd had was ladyutena but I didn't want to be name grabbing so chevalierprincesse it was!

"If we are ever separated, I swear I will change the world."

#174 | Back to Top12-06-2012 06:28:19 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Valeli wrote:

I had one question that might be better in another thread, but doesn't seem too out of place here: what's your forum name mean/from/how do you say it? Is the Kita part meaning north (as in Japanese), and if so what's Ysabell? Actually, what's Ysabell regardless, and how do you say it? Is it like Isabelle? Eees-belle? Other? Just curious. I like it. Even though I'm not entirely sure how to say it. Which is probably a bit odd.

I'd be obliged if no one asks why

I'm sorry, I just re-read the first bit of your post and this jumped out. Which it hadn't last time. So scrap my question. Still interested in how you pronounce it though, if that's ok. No worries if not.

Because saying "don't ask me this question" is pretty bad form on my part, here is the whole sordid affair.  Be ye warned: it's long, tedious, and a little dumb.

First, pronunciation.  My best guess at a phonetic spelling (note: I have like, zero linguistics expertise, so this could be nonsense and confusing) is "kee-tah ees-ah-bel."  That said, I'm not sure it's meant to be said out loud, it's almost more just a written thing.  But it is not pronounced "kih-tah is-a-bell."

Now, the actual name part.  This was the product of me signing up to Gaia Online in 12th grade, and having zero idea what to use as a screen-name.  I had taken the link from... some online game thing, where I kept naming characters after the characters I was writing.  Which... is kind of where the first name comes from.

Kita, (who I now generally think of as having the full name Nikita) is/was a character of mine.  The name was me just jamming syllables together, and I'm not really pleased with the result, as a) it sounds Japanese, and the character isn't and b) she had a sort of... splinter persona that I took as part of my username for various places on the internet.  So by name alone, she flunks any Mary Sue test, HARD, and while she did go through a Mary Sue phase, I swear she's reformed, but the name sticks.

As for the part where it turned into a username: through high school, I had a somewhat... apocalyptic mindset.  Like, it was going to be a race between global warming, cancer, nuclear war, serial killers, and MIBs to kill me first, and I was scared, so one day I had the brilliant idea to pretend that I had an imaginary friend who could protect me from everything, and since Kita's always been a bit of a badass, she got to be the source of the splinter-identity that filled that role.

And then, fast forward to me sitting in front of the shitty desktop computer with dial up, (ah, 2007!) looking at the Gaia sign-up screen, and I was like, hey, I should come up with two names that I feel kind of describe different aspects of who I am/who I want to be, and hyphenate that shit like a gender-progressive married name!  So, being all I AM THE CAPTAIN OF MY SOUL and whatnot, the first name that came to mind was that of my fake imaginary protector, Kita.  And to balance that, well.

From about 7th through 9th grade, I had this weird thing where I would try to get a number my friends to correspond with me using pseudonyms.  I dunno, maybe it was a developmental identity thing.  Now, looking back on it, it's more of a headdesky thing.  Most of the names I tried using were really, really stupid.  Ysabell is a variation on my given name (Elizabeth) that sounded more... exotic and fabulous.

I tend to associate it with some of the earliest experiences I had with the friend I used it with, including one night at band camp, getting hyped up on the original Sprite Remix and saying "screw this" to a game of Sardines to go prancing about, getting to know each other and doing absolutely horrible Jack Sparrow impressions.  So... sometimes I think of "Ysabell" as the name of my girly, gregarious, less inhibited persona.  The person I am/try to be when I go shopping or am helping host a party or are going out to dinner with friends.  Hence it seemed like a viable counterpoint to "Kita" to make a username out of.

So now you know.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#175 | Back to Top12-07-2012 02:47:49 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

That's neat. I'm no good at real phonetic stuff either, but I think I get what you're going for now and, like I said, I like it.

Head-deskey origin or not, I think it flows really well, and it's not a bad back story either. I remember a time as a kid that I wanted an imaginary friend, but I just couldn't pull it together enough to get one I actually believed in despite my best efforts. I was always a bit disappointed about that, so I'm jealous. I had a passably vivid imagination as a child too... Each year Christmas lights somehow transformed my room into a space ship when I was four or five (I still think Christmas lights are totally awesome, by the way, for unrelated reasons). Ironically, I actually ended up developing a better alter-identity thing grown up than as a kid. Not in an invisible friend way but... I don't know. It's hard to explain.  More along the lines of your "I want to be Ysabell when I go out shopping" way.

Anyways, thanks for explaining.

Board footer