This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-19-2010 01:45:05 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

"Mon cher professeur de piano" or MIKI AND SEX

When debating about a scene involving Miki and Mikage, somehow I brought out my concerns about Miki and his piano teacher grabbing him from his butt.

The point here is not about voting for "I THINK HE DID/DIDN'T" or so. It's more of debating both possibilities, or any kind of chances of Miki getting laid with pretty much anyone. His sister included, obviously.

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/6168-1/Series_ep15_015.jpg

So, what are your views of Miki and sex?

#2 | Back to Top08-19-2010 02:46:45 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Re: "Mon cher professeur de piano" or MIKI AND SEX

Dammit, Epi, I wanted to sleep tonight. emot-rofl Seriously, I will have to come back to this and say something more in depth, but I just have to say straight up that I've always been amused by the fact that Nanami, who has an entire episode about how truly naive she is about sex, can make Miki blush red with one well-aimed remark about whether or not something "hurt."

emot-rofl

...oh, Nanami, don't make me love you too much. etc-love

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#3 | Back to Top08-19-2010 11:27:41 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

I don't think he's lost his virginity yet. I mean, he's what, thirteen? Few people have done it by then with the exception of his sister. Plus if he had he wouldn't be so embarassed every time somebody mentions something remotely sexual.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#4 | Back to Top08-19-2010 12:00:31 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

I wonder if Miki will ever experience healthy sex... I always imagine him on the wrong side of sexually violent crimes, or in horribly unhealthy relationships. All this despite I truly think he's the most likely to have a normal (ie, something that could work well)  relationship later on in life...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#5 | Back to Top08-19-2010 12:36:41 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

It's funny that both Miki and Utena are seen as the "innocent" characters of the series - I think they're completely different levels of innocent/naive. I actually think that Utena is the more innocent of the two when it comes to sexuality (even if we saw how she lost her virginity)/perversion/"getting" sexual references/innuendos. I think that Miki is definitely not as innocent as he appears, although still very oblivious, or at least tries to be. Whereas Utena is more just naturally and honestly oblivious... although, as you can see with the episodes with Akio, not all the time.
Edit: Come to think of it, Nanami is pretty innocent, sexuality-wise at least.

I see Miki as more repressed than innocent. I don't think he's ever had sex in the series, unless it was possibly Kozue (when they were younger) but I do think that he thinks about it a lot, whether with his sister or with Anthy. I think he just TRIES not to think about it, and he experiences a great deal of shame about it. \:

There's a dichotomy with the twins as Freud's concept of the "superego," and "id," that I always keep coming back to when I think of them. Kozue is the id, sexualized and not ashamed of it, and she doesn't try to hide or repress anything to please society. Miki, on the other hand, represses things that he feels that he isn't comfortable with or thinks that society won't like - such as having sexual feelings for his sister, or any kind of sexual feelings, really. So he projects his childhood memory of Kozue on to Anthy, who is a "safe," (but not really, haha) object of his affections.

Another example of him trying to appease society (maybe) is when he and Kozue get a letter from their parents, she openly scoffs at it, while he tries to reason with her. "They're still our parents." I'm not sure if he's trying to be "a good child," and repress any feelings of resentment for his parents, or if he just honestly isn't as bothered by them as Kozue is -- but seeing as how they neglected both of them so much, it seems likely that he should feel at least some resentment toward them, but tries to hide it and be a good son.

I don't really see Miki as innocent/naive when he's trying to shyly come over and see Anthy (and Utena), or how he blushes all the time around Anthy, or how how he gets agitated when he sees Kozue with Touga or another guy... I mean, with a sister like Kozue doing all that, he obviously has to think about it a good deal. Thinking about his sister sleeping with sleezy guys all the time, wow.... and I'm sure that's how Kozue wants it.

And then, of course, there's the car scene with them... emot-tongue

But when it comes to Miki and the piano teacher... I think the piano teacher obviously wants to, but despite how not-innocent I think Miki is, I don't think he had sex with the piano teacher or even senses his creepiness. He might be acting more cheerful/friendly with him to piss Kozue off, though. But this does seem like one of those scenes where Kozue sees what Miki can't see.

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (08-19-2010 12:39:31 PM)

#6 | Back to Top08-19-2010 04:11:33 PM

teyhy
High Tripper
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:I see Miki as more repressed than innocent.

I totally agree with this. Remember the first episode, when Saionji tells everyone that he can do as he pleases with the rose bride? Well, Miki broke his pencil when he heard that. And in the akio arc, Miki didn't even pretended to be defending "Anthy's music", he just wanted to make her his.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils - H. Berlioz.
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad133/teyhy/for%20fo/Untitled-1copy.jpg?t=1280266589

#7 | Back to Top08-20-2010 11:18:26 AM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

Personally I think he and Kozue had some fun in their childhood, and he's the one who pulled the plug on it out of moral reasons, whatever.  Kozue's pissed because he no longer wants her anymore.  Kozue tries her best to make him jealous by being a slut.  Miki is completely embarrassed by what he did in his past and tries to forget that it even happened.  He's repressed.
^my opinion about the matter.  emot-smile

#8 | Back to Top08-20-2010 01:11:18 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

There's a dichotomy with the twins as Freud's concept of the "superego," and "id," that I always keep coming back to when I think of them. Kozue is the id, sexualized and not ashamed of it, and she doesn't try to hide or repress anything to please society. Miki, on the other hand, represses things that he feels that he isn't comfortable with or thinks that society won't like - such as having sexual feelings for his sister, or any kind of sexual feelings, really.

If you want to go Carl Jung on this one, you could say Kozue is Miki's Shadow as well. She is the negative reflection of his hang-ups, fears, and repressions.

#9 | Back to Top08-21-2010 12:47:03 AM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

Melancholic_Soul wrote:

I wonder if Miki will ever experience healthy sex... I always imagine him on the wrong side of sexually violent crimes

... I'm amused to wonder which you figure is the right side of a sexually violent crime.

Regardless, I think the argument that he's more repressed than sexually naive is right on target.

#10 | Back to Top08-21-2010 12:21:33 PM

KillerxXxQueen
Snowdrop Lover

I always kind of figured that Miki was flirting with his teacher to get back at Kozue for all of her...adventures. From earlier discussion of the "butt-grab" shot, I formulated a new theory: you see the image reflected in Kozue's eyes, which could be a symbol for how she sees the relationship between those two rather than how things actually are. Just food for thought.

"Reason I know is only a drug and, as such, its effects are never permanent."
                                                         --Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

#11 | Back to Top08-22-2010 10:35:14 PM

useme_imbeautiful
Saionji Slapper

Miki is like... one of those kids you see and you think "Aw look at him/her, childhood innocence, what a cute kid." But that cute kid is actually a kid who knows everything. About life, sex , the ways of the world etc.

He chooses to only show his true self when he wants and to who he wants.  I mean really, if he caught Anthy by herself long enough (without Utena's interruptions) ...it's a wrap.

He is on the Student Council after all. The corrupt student council. emot-tongue

i want him.

#12 | Back to Top08-23-2010 07:59:04 PM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

In my own twisted mind, Miki is extremely repressed. And probably has the hots for his sister. Poor kid, I just want to hug him and make it all better.

Mikage: Did he or didn't he?

I basically agree with everything SleepDebtFairy said.

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

Board footer