This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top09-29-2012 09:47:23 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Re: Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Anime News Network has a list of the 6 "shojo deconstruction" anime that paved the way for PMMM. Some of you may be familiar with the #1 spot. emot-wink

Has anyone seen any of the other shows?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-list/2012-09-29

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#27 | Back to Top09-29-2012 11:34:14 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

purplepolecat wrote:

Anime News Network has a list of the 6 "shojo deconstruction" anime that paved the way for PMMM. Some of you may be familiar with the #1 spot. emot-wink

Oh god, Minki Momo D:

I saw that back in 5th grade. Honestly, for the longest time I did not see that ending coming. Even the opening was happy!

#28 | Back to Top09-30-2012 04:22:55 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Hiraku wrote:

purplepolecat wrote:

Oh god, Minki Momo D:

I saw that back in 5th grade. Honestly, for the longest time I did not see that ending coming. Even the opening was happy!

Gotta love misleading openings.

I haven't seen any of those shows (besides Utena) though. emot-gonk I guess I could check some of them out when I don't have anything to do.

#29 | Back to Top09-30-2012 09:00:07 AM

Honey Bear
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

gorgeousshutin wrote:

I remember how I was initially put off by Utena's flamboyantly shoujo art style and costumes, to the point that I almost missed out on what turned out to be THE best anime series of all times.

That being said, PMMM, with its super cutsy-looking female characters, is really, really giving me the eye strain.  Even knowing of its reportedly rich/dark story, I remain skeptical as to whether such fluffy-looking characters (and the voice actresses behind them) can truly convey the drama at hand (i.e. will the show end up being flawed by flat, uncharismatic characters just like Mawaru-Penguindrum?).  For now, I'll wait for the feature film to debut before again considering whether I'd give this a try.

I don't think the characters were as strong as the story in PMMM, but they're definitely a lot better than the characters in Penguindrum. By the end I really did care about them (and I cried, buckets.) I'd heard PMMM had problems with characters and pacing, so I was actually really pleasantly suprised. It's definitely the best anime I've seen in a long time.

It also makes a great rewatch since you know so much more the second time round.

#30 | Back to Top09-30-2012 11:31:22 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

"I don't think the characters were as strong as the story" Is a good way of phrasing some my own issues with the characters.  Aside from Homura and somewhat Sayaka, for the most part their characters, while certainly not shallow, serve the plot and do not go much further than that, and are not given much subtly to interpret.  Once again, this a show even younger viewers can for the most part 'get' in terms of the character's motivations because everything about who they are and what they want is pretty much stated in dialogue. 

I would have given anything if just a tad bit more originality had been put into the first three episodes between Madoka and her friends (that same writing skill we see in her relationship with her mom).  I know they were going for a certain innocently shoujo set-up, but something actually touching and more importantly unique during these moments between Sayaka, Madoka and Hitomi in their dialogue and activities would have done wonders for the dramatic impact of Sayaka's story.  Because when Kyoko mentions after Sayaka's, erm, fall, that Madoka was Sayaka's best friend a part of me felt like that moment kinda fell flat.

#31 | Back to Top09-30-2012 12:24:24 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Honey Bear, OnlyInThisLight . . . thanks for giving your takes on PMMM.   Being that I personally prefer character-driven stories over plot driven ones, to the point that I can sometimes stomach in-comprehensive/murky plots if the characters are vivid and charismatic (thus why I enjoyed Loveless, and even the widely-hated No. 6) , PMMM is sounding less and less like my kind of show.  I'm sure it's plot is stunningly strong from what I've been hearing about it (I heard that the trippy Faust story is incorporated into this somehow), but the ultra-loli character designs, coupled with the chars' own plot-device qualities, will likely ruin it for me.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#32 | Back to Top09-30-2012 12:43:40 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Trust me, my issues are nitpicks.  It's a wonderful, well written and engaging show.  And it's only 12 episodes.  Honestly, if you're going to snub something, snub it for the quality of the story telling and the effort and quality in the art, but not simply because the designs are 'loli' -which they aren't.  The show puts a lot of work into its animation, both in and outside of fights, and while the characters are cute, they aren't played up as cute.  Once that first episode is out the way, you don't see any of the cliches and tropes used to present a character as cute or loli.  No panty shots, no scenes of them shyly and softly confessing some meaningless confession as though it was so embarrassing, no 'adorably' placed bandages, no high-pitched catchphrases or speech peculiarities, etc.  The closest you get, which is Kyoko always seen eating some food, is not done to be cute.  But neither is the reasoning behind played for extreme levels of sympathy.  The characters are neither sexualized in story or in design, and neither are they played to be cute.  When the characters cry they sound like what people actually sound like when they cry.  There is a difference between moe and drama, and this show is the latter. 

The opening theme is a near total lie as far as presentation goes.  There isn't even a kitty in the show.  emot-mad  Stupid OP kitty.

#33 | Back to Top09-30-2012 12:48:44 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

not simply because the designs are 'loli' -which they aren't.

Well, they kind of are. I was shocked when I found out that PMMM's cast is supposed to be just as old as SKU's; they look much younger.

To gorgeous: Aw, don't give up on it so easily. It's actually pretty good. The characters aren't just plot devices, they develop in highly different and distinct ways that provide for interesting twists in the story.

#34 | Back to Top09-30-2012 02:00:43 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Holy . . . the overwhelming support for this little gem is like emot-aaa

Found a site to watch PMMM virus free . . . will start (and comment) after finishing up the latest chapter of Seinen.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#35 | Back to Top09-30-2012 02:05:15 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

How old are they?  Cast members in SKU ranged from 13, 14 to 17 and they all looked WAY older and more developed than they should have, with long legs, big boobs and curvy hips*.  I pegged the characters in MM to be around 13-15. 

To me, terms like Loli imply a sort of sexualization, fetishizing or romanticizing of the characters youth, innocence or sad backstory.  Just because a character is drawn to look prepubescent and with large eyes (because it is anime we are discussing) does not mean they are moe/loli.   Madoka is the only character from the bunch one would even describe as shy or weepy, but it is presented in contexts that make it more than understandable and forgivable, and its not done to make her look cute/virginal. 

That same exploratory and bunt dialogue that makes them less fun/difficult to figure out is also what makes them seem a bit more 'real' than the characters in SKU, despite the fact that the SKU characters were more complex and original (and forgiving that SKU had nearly 3x as much length to do that).

*Especially Touga, who had the biggest boobs of them all.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-30-2012 02:06:09 PM)

#36 | Back to Top09-30-2012 02:15:25 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

^Yup you got it, 13-15

Yeah the characters are cute but they don't really remind you. I feel like the only one who didn't even bat an eye at the designs though

...I sleep with a Madoka plush now. She's so adowable etc-love I wanna get Homura, too, but she's expensive...

Speaking of expensive, I'm drooling over this Homura figure. woowee
People are complaining about the face but I think she is gorgeous

Last edited by Dognog (09-30-2012 02:16:44 PM)

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#37 | Back to Top09-30-2012 02:29:37 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I want QB plushie.  I'd make a contract for a QB Plushie.  :^D

#38 | Back to Top09-30-2012 02:41:21 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

oh did I summon it

#39 | Back to Top09-30-2012 04:08:25 PM

Honey Bear
Website

Oops, I think you're a magical girl now OnlyInThisLight! XD

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

"I don't think the characters were as strong as the story" Is a good way of phrasing some my own issues with the characters.  Aside from Homura and somewhat Sayaka, for the most part their characters, while certainly not shallow, serve the plot and do not go much further than that, and are not given much subtly to interpret.  Once again, this a show even younger viewers can for the most part 'get' in terms of the character's motivations because everything about who they are and what they want is pretty much stated in dialogue. 

I would have given anything if just a tad bit more originality had been put into the first three episodes between Madoka and her friends (that same writing skill we see in her relationship with her mom).  I know they were going for a certain innocently shoujo set-up, but something actually touching and more importantly unique during these moments between Sayaka, Madoka and Hitomi in their dialogue and activities would have done wonders for the dramatic impact of Sayaka's story.  Because when Kyoko mentions after Sayaka's, erm, fall, that Madoka was Sayaka's best friend a part of me felt like that moment kinda fell flat.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head here. Because in some ways I think the characterisation of the girls is really quite good (esp since there's only 12 episodes to do it in!) I think it's because their motivations and feelings are so transparent that it seems otherwise. There's not much mystery about the five main girls-- which the exeption of Homura, which is probably the reason why she's so popular. If you compare that with characters from Utena (Juri, Miki, almost anyone) the interesting part is trying to figure out what they want and why they act in the way they do. Like you said the dialogue in Madoka kind of does that for you, and it takes part of the fun out of it.

#40 | Back to Top09-30-2012 04:51:04 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Although the advantage of such an approach is that the show is more accessible to younger audiences.  It doesn't dumb down the message, it just makes it a bit easier to follow along.  It's hard to determine what the line is between dumbing something down/making it accessible and whether or not either is a sign of good or poor writing.  After all, for something to be educational or genre-changing, the idea is that it's not preaching to the choir, but to an audience that has something to gain by viewing it?

#41 | Back to Top09-30-2012 05:10:58 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Yeah, I didn't feel like I was talked down to in Madoka, although the characters are relatively simple. Also, once you know the nature of the witches, the fighting scenes inside the barriers might get more interesting.

And the fighting scenes look awesome, yeah. emot-biggrin

I'd totally get a Kyubey plushie. emot-frown At least if it was well-made.

#42 | Back to Top09-30-2012 09:24:52 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Just finished PMMM ep 1 (while still not yet done on Seinen Kakumei Part 10 emot-gonk)

Before you read any further, be warned that I've yet to have a high opinion of ANY post-2000 anime shows I came across, with Loveless and Penguindrum being like the only two exceptions - so you know this is gonna be harsh.

Also, since it's a non-english sub I watched, I don't know how to call the characters by their English names except for pink haired Madoka.

And so . . . on with the review:

Background Art (9.5/10): Very stylized, with a lot of it being "adult" like.  The battlefield in the opening dream sequence resembles those seen in gritty seinen sci-fi manga/anime, while most of the other scenes (especially the trippy monster scene at the end of the ep) got these with Victorian-style motifs scattered throughout to ensure that the visuals retain its darkly feminine edge - good job!

Story (8/10): Seem to have a lot of potential.  2 points deducted for dramatic situations/dialogues being too blatantly dramatic and not layered enough.

Character Art (4/10): Hate it, and with good reason.  The crudely drawn eyes makes it difficult for animators to give meaningful expressions to the characters, even during highly dramatic moment.  DarkHairGirlInDream actually looks sleepy/bored throughout the gritty "don't you change or you'll lose people dear to you" scene (when she should have looked cold or at least cynical after that teeth-gritting she did from right before the conversation).  What's worse is that there is little to null character-defining body languages being shown on the majority of the PMMM cast.  For someone so dramatically cool, the way DarkHairGirlInDream moves is almost identical to how all those other cutsy, regular girls move - down to that perky girly hip-sway as she walked away after that supposedly dramatic "warning Madoka" moment.  Madoka's Mom and HyperFemaleTeach both display "standard-anime-girly" type body languages (presumably for comic relief), despite both of them being too old for such juvenile fanfare. 

When we look back at, say, SKU, Juri is usually animated in such a way that she moves in a distinctively different manner from "girly-girls" like Wakaba and Shiori; then again, when in SKU, even Wakaba and Shiori each has their own distinctive body languages . . . hell, even OldMaidAgainstUtena, "old" Tokiko, Mrs. Ohtori all have their own distinctive, "age-appropriate" set of movements (in Mrs. Ohtori's case, her body language was so effective, she gained Internet fame despite her being a faceless, 2 min char).  Not in PMMM, where almost all the characters, regardless of age/background/personality/situation, all got the near-identical body languages.   

Again, I'm surprised by how much attention were paid to the characters' facial expressions & body languages in those 90's quality animes like SKU, Escaflowne, Please Save My Earth, Eva, etc when compared to much of today's crop, especially when the animation technology was supposedly primitive back then.  It really goes to show just how hardworking the animators of that era was when compared to what we have today.       

Voice Acting (6/10):  Just like what I would expect of a regular magical girl show.  Madoka's voice is consistently shrilly and high throughout the entire ep - I suppose it's to convey innocence on the char's part, but I've yet to hear any Asian teen girl in real life speaking in that kinda voice while not cosplaying.  DarkHairGirlInDream uses a tone of voice that channels a more "mundane" version of Ayanami Rei, which makes me feel as sleepy as she looks listening to it.  There are a few random girl friends in here that I forget as soon as they're out of view/earshot.   At least Madoka's Mom mostly speaks in the tone of a grown woman, unlike that hyper Teacher . . .

Will I Continue:  I want to, if only to see where the story is going (that, and I etc-love the background art).  But those characters . . . .

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (09-30-2012 09:25:56 PM)

#43 | Back to Top09-30-2012 11:10:03 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Homura's body language is in her lack thereof.  Trust me.  Instead, the animators emote with her hair.   It's not the girly sway of her hips that reflects on her ambiance of cool disaffection, it's that long, witch-like black hair swirling around her unmoving face that does.  I'm trying not to spoil anything, but realize that Homura made a certain expression when Madoka could see her, and an entirely different one when she could.  There is a reason for that. 

Honestly, I'm not going to argue the merits of style on the characters.  They are drawn in a typical "cute" fashion for a reason, and they are drawn well.  Within that style, the artists make a lot of efforts to make the character art original and pleasing to the eye-the visible, pencil-like lineart on the eyes, the light toned line-art in general and thick lines on the jaws.  If you look closely, you'll even notice how the characters have differing facial shapes.  The coloring of the background is muted along with the characters, that way the intense color schemes of the characters aren't so jarring and out of place looking.  Whether or not one likes this look is a purely subjective measure -the character's are well drawn, well colored and it's obvious a lot of creative thought went into their design. 

If you are going to nitpick certain elements of the show before you've even seen more than a single episode, I can't say you're going to have a great viewing experience.  It's great to be analytical and you should never shut that off when viewing anything, but keep in mind many of us here have already seen the show and our dissecting of it is based on it as a whole, not episode by episode.  Thus we can't really join you in your style of analysis/commentary -we can only refute it with knowledge/opinions on the rest of the series we have and you don't.   (See above)  The best we can do is encourage you to watch more.

#44 | Back to Top10-02-2012 06:21:44 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

I finished watching the show and I thought it was very good. I think my only issue was the experimental look of some of the show.

#45 | Back to Top10-02-2012 06:54:49 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Yeah, some of the Labyrinths had AMAZING presentations, while some were just sort of more photoshop/cut and paste.  They all had distinct and really cool narratives, they just aren't specifically explored in show.  The Wiki has them though, and they are worth a look.

#46 | Back to Top10-02-2012 07:55:12 PM

Honey Bear
Website

I was reading an interview with some of the people who made Madoka, and apparently the working title of the series was 'Mahou Shoujo Apocalypse'

An nod towards Utena maybe?

#47 | Back to Top10-03-2012 08:59:51 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Honey Bear wrote:

PMMM's definite nod towards Utena seems to be the heroine's ending: ( Madoka's eventual self-sacrifice, with her taking on the negative energies of the Seeds in the end (just like how Utena willingly/unknowingly took the Swords of Hate) and then being "forgotten" by close friends and/or erased off her original plane of reality as price incurred for saving people. )

Yes, I've since watched the whole thing (which again explains why Seinen Kakumei part 10 is still not out yet emot-gonk).  Love the stunning plot operating on multiple AUs and personal sacrifices (9/10), love the background art that reminds me of that sci-fi Count of Monte Anime (9.5/10), love some of the characters' dialogues (especially those from Madoka's Mom and Dad) . . .

<warning: downer ahead>

. . . but CANNOT, for the life of me, love any of those magical girl characters, whose faces could only "change style" during the utmost dramatic moments to convey pain and horror, but is generic/tool-like on all the lighter character-interaction moments that requires subtly in expression, body languages.  The jarringly lack of and/or unrealistic body languages displayed by the girls throughout like 80% of this anime is too, too prominent a flaw to ignore:  Madoka's shoujo-vapid smiley expressions and playful skipping/perky hip-swaying throughout even the utmost dramatic moments (like in that scene with her  final goodbye with her mom: that was that lack of depth to her expression and her girly skipping away afterwards ) is atmosphere-shattering.  And Homura . . . the only female I've watched capable of acting/emoting with her hair is Portia Di Rossi in Ally Mcbeal (and that, Homura is not).  The least "jarring" of the lot is the blue-haired girl self-sacrificing to save a musician boy she loves, but even she is not that charismatic.   It's like PMMM is this well-made Japanese TV drama (which I've watched plenty) with stunning script, music, and art-direction, but the young cast in it are idol-wannabes who are inexperienced actors, whom the director directs in such a way that makes sure their smiles stay pretty and their postures stay cute through most of their screen times - except in those specific scenes when they are subjected to blatant violence/trauma, when horror-factor is played up to give the viewers chills. 

The show, in its entirety, is different from the shoujo norm in that there is seinen anime violence/grit scatter throughout - but these characters and the way they are drawn, animated, and voiced will put off anyone who is not a hardcore fan of conventional shoujo-character portrayals (like, someone who instead truly wants to see semi-realistically-acted character interactions like in SKU, Please Save My Earth and such will be left disappointed).       

Total score: (7.5/10)  when it could've been so much better given the plot and background art

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (10-03-2012 11:07:56 AM)

#48 | Back to Top10-03-2012 11:30:11 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Honey Bear wrote:

PMMM's definite nod towards Utena seems to be the heroine's ending: ( Madoka's eventual self-sacrifice, with her taking on the negative energies of the Seeds in the end (just like how Utena willingly/unknowingly took the Swords of Hate) and then being "forgotten" by close friends and/or erased off her original plane of reality as price incurred for saving people. )

Ooh, I never thought about the similarities there. emot-biggrin Too bad a crossover would never work though. >_>

And I'm guessing the simplicity of Madoka's art is meant to be in contrast with the more dark story. Still, I can empathize with not liking it. I was most bothered by how childlike it made the adults look though. Good thing the story didn't focus much on them, because that would make it hard to take seriously.

#49 | Back to Top10-03-2012 12:27:58 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Lurv wrote:
Ooh, I never thought about the similarities there. emot-biggrin Too bad a crossover would never work though. >_>

Should the two shows cross, Tsuwabuki will finally have a chance of getting over his insecurity, being that he'd be surrounded by girls supposedly older than his Nanami-sama, but with appearances and manners that would make even him seem mature by comparison. 

Oh, and the cunning non-Utena chars in SKU will have much fun effortlessly mind-screwing (or outright screwing) the hell out of the entire magic girl lot.  Hell, Akio will so ditch Anthy if he'd ever get his hands on any one the PMMM girls, all of whom being so much easier to manipulate than his crafty sister or even Utena, and all have direct means of giving him back the full Power of Dios via one single (self-sacrificing) wish (and we know how much Akio enjoys sacrificing others for his own gains).

I was most bothered by how childlike it made the adults look though. Good thing the story didn't focus much on them, because that would make it hard to take seriously.

Bad thing is that the adults are the ones with the most meaningful, mature dialogues.  And when I see those lines getting spewed by grown ups who look so hard to distinguish from the young ones . . .

#50 | Back to Top10-03-2012 02:18:17 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Oh, and the cunning non-Utena chars in SKU will have much fun effortlessly mind-screwing (or outright screwing) the hell out of the entire magic girl lot.

Ok, not sure if I would want to see that. Watching Akio's seduction of Utena would have been even more emot-gonk if she actually looked like a 14 year old, and if she came across as even more childlike, well. Yeah, good thing there's no real focus on sex in Madoka.

But a crack fic where Kyubey interacts with Akio and/or Anthy could be amusing. emot-tongue

Board footer