This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-11-2015 08:40:07 AM

JaxTH
New Student

What does SEGA have to do with this series?

Besides them obviously developing the Sega Saturn game, what does SEGA have to do with this series?

They were involved in the movie as well (which no one seems to acknowledge on the internet), and because off an off-hand comment on a Wikipedia talk page they were apparently involved with the anime as well (A sponsor apparently)? I can't find any information on this which makes trying to document this stuff for SEGA Retro an absolute nightmare.

Can anyone give me any information on this subject?

#2 | Back to Top10-12-2015 08:31:44 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: What does SEGA have to do with this series?

I believe Sega did the merchandise for Utena? Honestly, I've never thought about it. I'll talk to Gio and see if we can figure out anything to help you.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#3 | Back to Top10-12-2015 02:09:03 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Primarily Sega did the game, yes. But Sega as a larger umbrella corporation has its fingers in many media pies, so its name tends to just crop up places. Off the top of my head, there are Utena figurines or statues or something that are done by Sega. Sega is responsible I think for large quantities of UFO prizes, the stuffed dolls in this case, that were prizes in UFO catcher machines.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#4 | Back to Top10-12-2015 07:20:43 PM

JaxTH
New Student

Giovanna wrote:

Off the top of my head, there are Utena figurines or statues or something that are done by Sega. Sega is responsible I think for large quantities of UFO prizes, the stuffed dolls in this case, that were prizes in UFO catcher machines.

You have no idea. emot-gonk

But anyway, is there really no information on SEGA being involved with the anime series? You'd think that would be put somewhere in the opening or ending (like what was done with Nanatsu no Taizai's anime).

#5 | Back to Top10-13-2015 03:09:56 AM

Zander1995
Wakaba Wrangler

From what I've seen it appears that Sega was really only involved in the game, merchandising, and producing the movie (producing as in funding it). They may have had a more to do with the overall plan for the Utena collaboration, but definitely no more than a minor part.

#6 | Back to Top10-13-2015 01:43:56 PM

Rikoshi
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Hey, former Sega employee here!

The posts above pretty much have it right; SEGA wasn't involved with the creation and production of the series itself, but did have merchandising involvement due to the game and movie (as has been pointed out, that sort of thing is pretty common in Japan).

Last edited by Rikoshi (10-13-2015 01:44:12 PM)

Board footer