This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top06-14-2009 03:17:30 PM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

Re: How I would "improve" Utena

Well, forget about a remake, how about a new series? No need to change any major plotline, but let's do something like Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, the entire series is just side stories. This way, all our wishes could be granted and the integrity of the original remains intact. But of cuz, I doubt I will ever see something like this till the day I die.

#27 | Back to Top06-14-2009 03:28:05 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

Frangipangie wrote:

I would:
1. Get a better english dub. With semi-famous people. I would be all over certain characters if they had the voices I wish they had.
ESPECIALLY ANTHY.

I agree.  I hate the English dub so, so much it's unwatchable to me.  Yuriko Fuchizaki, Anthy's seiyuu, has such a unique voice, so fitting to such a unique character.  Utena's English voice is very good, but the rest is just terrible.

#28 | Back to Top06-14-2009 05:29:41 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Juri would have won one or the other of her duels.  She still would have lost and/or surrendered the position of One Engaged to Utena at somepoint, however. It just really rubbed me raw that the only loss Utena had was to Touga. There wasn't a point in even having duels any longer after the Student Council Arc ended. The outcome was never in question and the drama involved was almost non-existent. Having the threat of defeat be real, and tangible, is something the Student Council Arc did well.

Last edited by Ashnod (06-14-2009 05:29:53 PM)

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#29 | Back to Top06-14-2009 05:51:22 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Beat the English dub actress for Utena with oranges until she learned to stop calling Anthy Him-ey-me-a, goddamit.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#30 | Back to Top06-14-2009 07:16:45 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

BioKraze wrote:

SwordKing wrote:

Throw out the dinky little swords and have them fight with giant robots instead.

Isn't it Imaginary Bad Bug who always says SKU is like Evangelion except with roses and duels instead of Angels and Mechas and vice versa?

Indeed.  I figure that's the easiest way to explain SKU to a newbie, since the chances are far higher that they've already seen Evangelion.  The two series - while certainly not identical - are both symbolic character studies coupled with explorations of what "reality" is. I figure the parallels are close enough that the comparison I make is a valid quick and dirty way to describe Utena without going into intricate detail.

As to this thread, I actually like Utena just the way it is.  emot-redface  The only improvements I'd suggest would be technical ones and well... they've already done that in Japan now!  We just need the fixed up and remastered version over here... but that's another thread.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (06-14-2009 07:19:52 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#31 | Back to Top06-14-2009 08:04:28 PM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

Ashnod wrote:

There wasn't a point in even having duels any longer after the Student Council Arc ended. The outcome was never in question and the drama involved was almost non-existent. Having the threat of defeat be real, and tangible, is something the Student Council Arc did well.

Agree, I was really expecting Anthy to be in real danger at some point during the Black Rose Saga, but that never happened...

#32 | Back to Top06-15-2009 04:03:27 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Ashnod wrote:

Juri would have won one or the other of her duels.  She still would have lost and/or surrendered the position of One Engaged to Utena at somepoint, however. It just really rubbed me raw that the only loss Utena had was to Touga. There wasn't a point in even having duels any longer after the Student Council Arc ended. The outcome was never in question and the drama involved was almost non-existent. Having the threat of defeat be real, and tangible, is something the Student Council Arc did well.

This is a good point. Having Juri win perhaps her last duel would have brought more tension into it, make the loss seem more threatening again. But then you and I have discussed this a lot so LOL...

...mainly I agree, get better voice actors, or perhaps just the studio's first string voice actors. Most of their more talented VAs were working on Slayers Try the year the student council arc was dubbed, so most of their best people (like Lisa Ortiz) were busy with that and didn't do Utena, but did start showing in in later arcs (like Shiori).

.....of course now they're bankrupt so a redub is probably not an option unless someone else picks it up.

20 threads dead so far.

#33 | Back to Top06-16-2009 10:01:25 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

1. More addressing the dynamics betwen groups of friends. I love the thought of a little Wakaba, Utena, Anthy brain trust, like the Franklin, Adams, Jefferson group in 1776. More student council dynamics too.

2. A band scene. I fantasize about a battle of the bands episode.

3. New music. I know it's blasphemous, but add more variety. Though i liked pretty much everything they brought to the movie and would like to see it stay in the series, I didn't fancy the duel songs. And "She's a Handsome Woman" should be the opening theme.

4. Musicians as the voice actors. This is really just to allow for the above band episode.

5. Akio would have Makio's hair and bearing. The movie hair was smexylicious, the series hair was a fucking mullet. And I would be made more obvious that Akio is a neurotic freakshow hiding behind a veneer of princeliness. During his duel with Utena, he'd fight in that crazed way movie Saionji fights.

6. The set pieces should play with perspective more. Scene with charcters overlooking great drops and sweeping landscapes, shots that look up at imposing characters backed by imposing structures.

7. The background would be overloaded with interesting looking subtext and symbols. These would represent grand philosophical, mythological, or classical themes. I'm thinking like the Movie on crack (It was already on acid).

8. The art style would be some combo of the Movie, dark and secluded James Bond, and lofty/flowery Lord of the Rings

9. Anthy would act more aristocratic, Utena more rebellious

10. Anyone can duel anyone. I got tired of seeing utena duel everyone. Especially when the main conflict was between two characters who didn't care about Utena. My fantasy here is a Black Rose Wakaba dueling Saionji.

11. The different duelists represent the heroes of different regions. I'm not saying change the basic characterisations, just some of the details to give everyone a more regional flavor. Juri=Germanic, Miki=European, Saionji=Japanese, Nami=Arab( I don't know...she has a freaking scimitar ok!)

12. Touga is built up more as the world's hero, like he would be it's excuse for a savior if Utena wasn't there. I've always latched onto Keiko's "Can you defeat the sword of Touga, the most noble sword in the world?" line.

13. Build up an Utena Touga dichotomy. I don't no specifically which, but find a set of difference and stick to them. Show this dichotomy by cutting between scenes of Utena with Wakaba/Anthy and scenes of Touga with Saionji/Akio

14. More chill scenes. I'd like to see the characters exppress themselves more through simple conversations with each other, not having to do with developing events.

15. Architectural insanity. Crank the movie up to eleven. same Movie designs, but with sympathetic architecture that move around as events determine it. The buildings should be more diverse and prettier, with interesting shrines and other set pieces.

16. Make it obvious that Ohtori is built like a cemetary. Aerial shots that make the buildings look like tombstones. Remarks from characters on inescapability of Ohtori. Even the beach episode happens on school grounds.

17. No more school uniforms. The student cuncils movie outfits are acceptable, as are their series relaxwear. Outfits should also have meaning as to what position the characters are in at that point.

18. Change the rose bride outfit. I love the old thing but the crown needs to go. It looks like something from the little mermaid. And non Anthy brides should have their own special outfis that suit them. I was annoyed that they just got the same thing and ended up forming the Rose Bride Rangers.

19. Utena's sword needs to become badass. The dinky thing she's got going on doesn't represnt her revolutionary, anndrogynous character. How about a massive cuttlass with gold roses on the hilt and "écrasez l'infâme" engraved on the blade

20. Subtext is still subtext, but is expressed through brilliant, varied imagery

21. More sex used for other purposes. I strongly support Shiori fucking and fucking with Juri. Others should do so as well. Sex can also be used to describe relationships and as an event in itself. Utena's night with Akio waslike the rape of innocent defiance by corrupt despair. Do stuff like that more often.

22. Miki needs to crossdress.

23. More Miki/Juri. I love how they reverse gender roles.

24. The whole Mitsuru/Nanami/Touga thing needs to be treated as a series of mommy-daddy complexes. Nanami plays mother to Mitsuru and daughter to Touga

25. Varied dueling arenas. I got sick of them going to the same forest arena. I liked the movie setup, where duels changed places and each place had different significance.

26. Akio shouldn't show up till the last arc. Make him like a campus legend, and make his eventual appearance more spectacular

27.Use the Movie's art style

28. People change their har more often. Anthy should never even have had that godforsaken librarian look. I'd like to see wakaba with her hair down.

29. Appearances get augmented over time. People give others stuff that becomes important to them and they hold onto for strength. This needs not be bad. I always wished Wakaba had gotten to keep the leaf/hairpin Saionji made for her

30. Art styles need to clash between scenes. Lofty terraces vs. dark rooms.

31. No more UST for Anthy Utena. Those two need to do it,and make it early and obvious. And awesomely delicious. In fact emphasize their nature as a couple. The student council arc as their meeting and hooking up, the Akio arc as the collapse of their relationship (for a time at least).

32. More meaningful and sexy poses.

33. More Student Council ridiculousness. Have them engaged in ridiculous, awesome, and/or sadistic games at each meeting.

34. More fluid dancing and action. And said dancing and action should be more over the top. I'm thinking a dancing Utena/Anthy along the lines of the Addams family movie, Where Morticia nad Gomez are so hot the light the floor on fire.

35.More Utena/Anthy passion

36. More everyone/everyone passion

37. Anthy should be characterized as a grown up Utena who was decimated by life. Anthy should also wear a boy's uniform in one scene.

38. More people pointing out each other's quirks. I loved Nanami for calling Utena out as a "boygirl".

39. Shiori and Kozue are evil, but the good kind (think Lelouch); their respective stories should be about how one can revolutionize the world and achieve individuation through evil

40. Juri doesn't have any angst over her liking another girl. Everyone should acknowledge their bisexuality and not get flustered about it. The series just got kind of schizophrenic with it's stance on sexuality.

41. Shadow plays are now the beginnig of each episode. They should be giant and elaborate, with many shadow play girls, more obvious meanings, and a more macabre style (in the way only childish stuff can be)

42. Shiori/Kozue. All kinds of wicked witch hotness.

43. Nanami and Anthy should be engaged in a long running noblewoman-off

44. Everyone should have ahistory of when they owned the Rose Bride. How they handled her and what they did should be brought up. And it should be the sexual relationship from the movie, not the "hidden love" shit from the show.

45. Otufits and appearances change during the duels, a la the Movie

46. Utena should have more moves. Her current dive strategy, though Prince Vultan approved, gets old. I'd like her and the others to have sets of signature moves.

47. No stock footage. Now, Ilove Utena's "Chipmunk of Justice" face as much as anyone, but this frustrated the hell out of me and it wwas so obviously done as a cost cutting measure.

48. In the end, Akio shoul have a mea culpa. Once consigned to his fate, he should cry and tell Anthy that he loves her and understands why she must go, but that he also must stay due to the more severe nature of his problems.

49. The story should end either with a duel or the Movie ending. Something awesome and climactic.

50. No blood or gore, but more sex

51. The Black Rose Saga desperately needs improvement. The morals should be suped up into the stuff of anarchistic class struggle, and Mikage and Mamiya need to do more than just hang out in a basement giving their best Queen Beryl impressions. And everyone shouldn't just forget what happened. That made the whole arc seem like an extended piece of filler.

52. Kozue needs to resort to aggression more. Less Medea styled backstabbig and sexual wiles, more acrobatics and knife tricks.

53. Characters need to be tagged with descriptors that make more sense. Allegorical names or contrast could give each character more depth. Just saying "Miracles" and "Eternity" doesn't cut it.

54. Chu-Chu stays.

55. Ruka shouldn't even be in the series. Just replace him with Touga.

56. More classical references.

57. More Miki/Kozue. Trap Juri in two triangles; one with Shiori and Touga, the other with Kozue and Miki

58. Akio gets a better car

59. Other people get cars. I loved the Tougacycle, and I feel other characters should have sexmobiles.

60. Utena is more keen to what's going on. Like in the movie, where she's more frustrated than airheaded.

61. Utena should do some tables-turning on her aggressors. I wouldn't go so far as to have her say "None of you understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me.", but the feeling should be similar. I want her to show them that their darkness will not rape her, no, she wil crush every last one of those bastards with the wrath of an angry Archangel.

62. Everyone joins Utena in leaving Ohtori at the end.

63. Kozue seduces more people.

64. More various objects, less obsessing over certain couches or glasses of wine or champagne

65. Insinuate conspiracy theories. Make the audience wonder if it's all just a dream, or if the SPG are behind everything.

66. Go gonzo in intense moments and shatter reality. I'm inspired here by the "It's time to dance Utena!" AMV, and would like to se that as an actual in-series sequence.

67. More parties

68. Less Juri angst, more Juri personality and doing stuff

69. Everyone becomes more aware of things as the show goes on. Initially everyone's caught up in the duels and thinks everthing's normal, this gradually fades away and everyone becomes awrae of the insanity of their situation.

70. More varied weather

71. More melancholy

72. School events can occur moe frequently, but the must be either hot, funny, or awesome.

73. Characters need to keep popping up. No forgetting someone for several episodes.

74. More pyrotechnic duels. Extravagent effects welcome. Make every duel ike the one where utena slices sevral oncoming cars in half.

75. More stuff happens during duels. Instead of Utena/Touga diner date taking place the night before at the arena, have it happen right in the middle of the duel. Have them sit down for tee and chat wistfully for a while, the go at each other's throats again

76. Make Mamiya creepier

Last edited by YostinAust (07-17-2015 07:49:55 AM)

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"
     - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

#34 | Back to Top06-18-2009 05:57:04 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

I'm another fan who wouldn't change a thing. No really, I'm in love with the current form. Everything is just right, even the parts that don't do it for me personally (ie shadowplay girls - Nanami comedy eps). I can see the brilliance in those devices.

Admittedly I've never seen the English dub...maybe if I did I would agree with you guys & girls about new voice actors for that. emot-keke

#35 | Back to Top06-19-2009 02:01:30 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

I would rid Touga of his transparent hair lock, it irks me.

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#36 | Back to Top06-19-2009 03:38:32 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

62. Everyone joins Utena in leaving Ohtori at the end.

YES!!! poptart That's one thing I wanted to see more than anything, but I practically agree with everything you just wrote. etc-love

Last edited by BlackRoseVixen (06-19-2009 03:42:52 PM)

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#37 | Back to Top06-19-2009 04:33:36 PM

Charuru
Ohtori Paramouri

Agree with everything except 53, this is awesome YostinAust.

Personally the only part of the show I didn't like was the fillerish Black Rose segment. That, and that I thought Mikage was a total loser.

#38 | Back to Top06-20-2009 10:46:01 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

Oh, that reminds me.

77. Decent Mikage therapy sessions. Don't just have him say "let's begin" and "deeper, deeper". It made him sound less like he was a diabolical psychologist and more like he was taking it in the ass from Mamiya. And stop with the whole "like a computer" thing. How does being a anarchistic, Nietzche wannabe psychiatrist have anyhting to do with being an MIT grad in a previous life? Mikage needs to have been a liberal arts major from the get go, on whose quest for knowledge lead him into the same trap Utena's quest for nobility lead her into.

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"

#39 | Back to Top06-21-2009 12:33:16 AM

KillerxXxQueen
Snowdrop Lover

Holy shit, YostinAust makes so many points there that I actually almost cracked my own shell.

My largest beef: these kids can't be in middle school and be that tall and have perfect breasts. None of that together makes any sense; they would all have hit puberty at eight, I swear to my gods...

They need to be in high school.

"Reason I know is only a drug and, as such, its effects are never permanent."
                                                         --Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

#40 | Back to Top06-21-2009 07:54:32 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

KillerxXxQueen wrote:

My largest beef: these kids can't be in middle school and be that tall and have perfect breasts. None of that together makes any sense; they would all have hit puberty at eight, I swear to my gods...

My memories from middle school say otherwise, and the stylicized art style does the rest. It might have something to do with the fact that I'm Nordic, I guess...

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#41 | Back to Top06-21-2009 08:18:16 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Oh to be Nordic... emot-biggrin

#42 | Back to Top06-22-2009 08:24:25 AM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

...Juri's the only one who should be nordic...

#43 | Back to Top06-23-2009 07:45:23 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

Does anyone have any opposition to Anthy being voiced by Inara George from The Bird and the Bee?

#44 | Back to Top06-25-2009 03:11:42 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

KillerxXxQueen wrote:

Holy shit, YostinAust makes so many points there that I actually almost cracked my own shell.

They need to be in high school.

Actually when a friend saw the Juri ep she thought they were all in college.

20 threads dead so far.

#45 | Back to Top06-25-2009 06:15:52 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I wouldn't change much.  Just nix Truth like Sat mentioned, have a bit of a better English dub and some improved animation, and have a little less stock footage.   Other than that, not a thing.  The imperfections in Utena are what make it so wonderful to me, that and how most of it isn't spoon-fed to us.  A lack of development for one character leaves room for beautiful and interesting interpretation and fanfiction, and some things I would find unnecessary and distracting from the main point in the series, such as more explicit Utena/Anthy  (Which even Ikuni himself said was left out for just this reason). 

Hmm...though on second thought I would like to see Chigusa in the anime, and have the manga completely redone with more input from Ikuhara this time around.  Save one or two pages from the manga, I can't really stand it.  Having watched the series and the movie first, it just doesn't compare.  Though chances are if I had read it before I watched the series then it wouldn't be such an issue.

#46 | Back to Top06-25-2009 06:20:51 PM

KillerxXxQueen
Snowdrop Lover

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Hmm...though on second thought I would like to see Chigusa in the anime, and have the manga completely redone with more input from Ikuhara this time around.  Save one or two pages from the manga, I can't really stand it.  Having watched the series and the movie first, it just doesn't compare.  Though chances are if I had read it before I watched the series then it wouldn't be such an issue.

I wonder about that. I read the manga first and hold all three of them in completely seperate esteem. Some things are better in the anime, but a lot more is explained in the manga. emot-confused It's a stumper. I personally like the ending from the manga better however.

"Reason I know is only a drug and, as such, its effects are never permanent."
                                                         --Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

#47 | Back to Top06-25-2009 06:21:50 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

hollow_rose wrote:

Actually when a friend saw the Juri ep she thought they were all in college.

I had similar thoughts, though they were caused by her sharp face and cynical demeanor, not her body-type.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#48 | Back to Top06-25-2009 06:37:44 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

Nix Truth

Hey now, people, I happen to like/have memorized Truth. emot-mad I find it no worse than the other dated stereotypical anime songs. It just seems bad in comparison to the loveably badass J.A. Seazer and amazing Shinkichi Mitsumune. Besides, it illustrates the difference in awesomeness between the first arc and the last ones.

Really, all I would change about Utena would be fixing the footage, as others have mentioned. The remastered edition has done little but drawn my attention to the things they didn't fix; the jumpy animation, the changing proportions...

Oh. I suppose I would like to change one other thing about Utena: the stupid 3D castle in the sky. I could not believe that they succumbed to the late '90s trend of having like a little bit of CGI in a world of regular animation. It's out of place and makes me feel VIOLATED.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#49 | Back to Top06-26-2009 12:34:46 PM

cscratch
Anthy Assailer
Website

Does it make me a loser if my cell phone ring was "Truth" for a while? emot-gonk Oh the looks I used to get in the grocery store...

Anyway, I don't think I would change much about Utena, just a couple of points:

1) The first season's overall animation quality - Touga can be hotter, as the later seasons have proven.
2) The English Dub would not exist - Seriously, if you haven't heard it, at least listen to a sample.  It's that bad.
3) That somehow the animators would have found some way to incorporate garters & lacy underthings into Anthy's charcter design.  - Total yum!
4) I have to agree with NajiMinkin about the CGI - it's a bit offputting compared with the rest of series style.

#50 | Back to Top06-26-2009 01:42:28 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

I support GothicLolita!Anthy I support GothicLolita!Anthy I support GothicLolita!Anthy I support GothicLolita!Anthy

..that said, truth is a good song. I declare satyreyes' point to be as good as the pun his name is. (Not very)

Board footer