This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top05-17-2011 08:10:47 PM

Absolute Apocalypse
Saionji Slapper

Re: Is anyone else even remotely bugged by this? Or is it just me?

I wouldn't put much attention to what Short Fat Otaku or any other angry "x thing here" nerds have to say about... pretty much anything.

Inflammatory statements are their main source of hits for people like these... and moneyz too in case they've been picked up by blip.tv and TGWTG.

Angry reviewing is one the most shameful internet trends we have nowadays, but hopefully, one day it will have to go.

and calls episodes five and eight stupid and pointless as well as the other "filler" episodes.

To be fair the curry episode was stupid and pointless.

It was funny, yes, it even reminded me of Ranma. But it didn't make any sense that Utena would change bodies with Anthy for like a week and not realize certain things about Anthy's nature. One could say it created a plot hole.

Which is the reason I like to think it never existed.

"Challenging the sword of dios with a simple bamboo practice sword?" etc-saiowank

Always do things the saionji way.

#27 | Back to Top05-21-2011 06:33:51 PM

CameraLady
New Student

Ghahaha, when we first posted our Utena review I was actually counting the days till Empty Movement discovered it, I didn't think it would take a year! emot-tongue

Just to let you know, I'm a pretty big lurker around here.  I remember this site from years ago, read all the essays, even some stuff on the forums.  Especially the sega saturn walkthrough threads.  Those were awesome.  Utena is absolutely my favourite anime ever.  emot-tongue  But, at the same time, I'm the cameraperson and co-creator of Short Fat Otaku, and I feel that I might as well answer for a few of your complaints!!

SFO and I co-write the reviews, he acts, and I direct.  He's in front of the camera and I'm behind, but the opinions presented in the review are generally an amalgamation of the two of ours.  SFO liked utena.  Not really enough for a second viewing, but he enjoyed it.  Meanwhile I've seen the series probably 6-7 times now.  About once a year I find something that reminds me of the series, I end up looking it up to sate my curiousity, I get drawn into all of the supplementary materials available online again, and before you know it, I'm rewatching the series.  So in essence I'm about as batshit as we accuse you guys of being in the video.  emot-tongue

That bein' said, even as a big fan of the series I can still see its faults and I don't mind admitting them.  The animation DOES get quite bad.  There's a lot of stuff reused, and even if it might have a symbolic purpose, the practical result is still budgetary in nature.  And there's a fair number of filler episodes that I generally just skip more often than not when I rewatch Utena nowadays.

As for the stuff about cosplay, that's more a general complaint than an Utena one and it's actually one I agree with.  Sometimes, clothing designed in 2-d doesn't translate well into 3-d.  It might look cool in the show but no matter how smooth you are in real life it just really looks ridiculous - it's a complaint we make in several other videos too.  Now, you have the right to wear a ridiculous looking costume if you want to.  But we have the right to say it's ridiculous, too.  emot-tongue

As if ripping apart the series, movie, and game wasn't bad enough, he bad mouths the fandom too!

It was all in good fun!!  I love the series, sort of liked the movie, never played the game, and am part of the fandom.  But that doesn't mean I can't poke fun at them all.  emot-tongue

You run a site this big and you have to be ready to be called fucking nuts. school-eng101

You are.  school-devil

Someone rip this for me so I can make it a windows sound.

If I recall, when providing footage for the game, I just took the opening cinematic off youtube - the only way i can think of to get a hold of it is to plug the youtube URL into savevid.com so you can download the video file, then extract the audio from the video with tmpgenc or any other of a variety of tools that extracts the audio track from a video file.  Then, import it to Audacity or another sound editing program and clip out the unwanted bits!

Yeah, he's pretty much a fat-hating asshat who believes possessing a penis and...

http://lolbot.net/pix/7669.jpg

We're not anime fanatics, but we don't hate anime, either.  Whenever we write a script, ESPECIALLY for a show that we like and/or is a popular title, we write it as troll-y as possible.  Even what you pointed out, the moe and pre-pubescent shit as background flavour, it's all a big goof.  As somebody else said in the thread, it's pretty clear that we 'get' Utena, at least to the point to offer an analysis of the characters detailed enough that we clearly know what's going on.  That doesn't stop us from making fun of it for fun's sake.  In essence (and no offense) your response is one of the most fun responses to get, especially because, when it comes down to it, we hate everything you said you hated and are actually fans of the show ourselves! emot-tongue

Angry reviewing is one the most shameful internet trends we have nowadays, but hopefully, one day it will have to go.

It really is.  When we initially conceived of doing anime reviewing, nobody else was really doing it - but then we took 9 months to actually get off our asses and give it a go, and by then a few others has sprung up.  And now?  This shit's EVERYWHERE.  We still want to review anime, we have a blast doing it, but we're moving away from the angry schtick.  There still might be a bit of anger if it's warranted, but we're really looking for a format change - and considering SFO is going to be moving in with a roommate in the near future, it will probably end up being a straight man/funny man type thing, where SFO is the obsessive otaku nerd and his roommate is approaching the shows from a more 'normal' person's perspective.  But that's way off topic.  emot-tongue

Anyway, to everybody who liked our video - thanks!  Feel free to watch our others!!  To everybody who didn't, Sorry if I got you mad, but we were just having fun.  We really do like Utena, I promise!!  emot-biggrin

#28 | Back to Top05-21-2011 07:46:09 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

CameraLady wrote:

You run a site this big and you have to be ready to be called fucking nuts. school-eng101

You are.  school-devil

Hey, at least I don't cos..pl...a...

Uh, nevermind. It was a joke, I swear.

Anyway, it's all in good fun. I'm happy any time SKU gets some press, as SFO says, it's criminally underexposed and if this gets one person curious, I'm all for it. And if it doesn't, I still don't care because I find it fascinating whenever a male of the species is seen to sit through the entire show. That takes a particular kind of comfort with your sexuality. etc-saiowank

I've had this site for a long, long time. I remember when I really was this crazed and OMFG OTAKU++++, I've grown since then, but I keep feeding the website, because I've met great people through it, and it has meant something to a lot of them. And, again, if one person watched the show because of EM, I get a big gold star.

I've never, ever said the animation was good. Jesus who thought hiring monkeys with Parkinson's was a good idea?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#29 | Back to Top05-23-2011 01:05:25 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I'm glad you signed up, CameraLady; your post was just as fun as the video emot-smile  I'm curious: you've never cosplayed?  I'm surprised!  Big anime fans always seem to be pulled into cosplay eventually.  I just came back from ACen, where I was part of a group of eight of the trolls from Homestuck, and I wish I could lock you up with the people who made the ridiculous costumes so you could watch them work for just fifteen minutes.  An old classmate of mine sewed several nights till two in the morning, with the flu, during final paper season, so that she could look like this at the con.  Silly, yeah.  But like fandom in general, it's silly in a way that isn't meaningless.  It's a creative activity, and a social one, and a liberating one too; it takes a special kind of courage to get in costume and go out in public!  If you've never cosplayed, I hope you'll try it sometime, start to finish -- not so that you can discover that it's not ridiculous after all (for it surely is ridiculous), but so that you can maybe get a glimpse of why people are so eager to do this manifestly ridiculous thing.  As another wise webcomic artist has said in a different context, we are grown-ups now, and it's our turn to decide what that means. emot-smile

#30 | Back to Top06-15-2011 09:28:42 PM

CameraLady
New Student

#31 | Back to Top06-16-2011 05:04:30 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Bahahaha man I wish my phone could do custom ringtones. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#32 | Back to Top03-23-2014 12:11:40 PM

CameraLady
New Student

I don't know if anybody remembers this thread... or even cares anymore!  But recently, my channel's been doing commentaries of how and why we made all of our older anime reviews, and we just uploaded a commentary of the Revolutionary Girl Utena review that's discussed here.  Dave and Dev talk extensively about the series and the work put into making the review.

I know this is three years old... if anybody still cares to listen to it, you can do so here!

Board footer