This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top10-24-2010 11:58:11 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Re: Computer Fixes

To all who have volunteered their lovely notes and assistance, I thank you immensely. emot-keke

I've found a solution, though a solution that needs a bit of time and (especially in this recession) money. I should have that desktop back on its feet and displaying lovely things and games once I can pony up the expenses of the new monitor.

Funny, isn't it... When you're deprived of something you normally rely on to catalog your flights of fancy, all your brain does is just churn out ideas at a rate that would put mink to shame... emot-tongue

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#27 | Back to Top10-25-2010 12:32:23 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I hope this is not off-topic. D: This is more software than hardware related, and not a big deal really.

It used to work fine but for a month or so, I haven't been able to see images on Pixiv. To be more precise, I can't see the thumbnails or (which is what that site is about) and the artwork itself; I can see some small icons/avatars and images used for layout, etc. but no artwork (but you have to be logged in to see full-size art, btw; that also doesn't work).

This is what it looks to me: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/ … vvvvvv.jpg When I try accessing the image files directly, I get a 403 error. :/

I'm using Firefox 3.6.11, updated just recently. I tried clearing my cache and accessing via proxy sites but no results. The site seems to work OK on IE (I can see the images but then it displays a Java error. I also updated my Java software). I don't know why it doesn't work on Firefox, and I don't bother to switch to IE so I stopped using the site altogether because its not THAT important. I just wanted to know what might be wrong with it. emot-confused It is so strange.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#28 | Back to Top10-25-2010 07:56:50 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Maarika, try looking at it from another computer entirely, like a school computer or a friend's computer. One that doesn't use your home internet. It could be browser settings (unlikely if you're getting issues with both browsers) or it could be internet settings, but it's also possible that the site has blocked content from being shown in your area.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#29 | Back to Top08-19-2011 01:36:50 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Thread necro!

My mom's desky now has a new problem. The fan has started rattling slightly. My questions are: is this an easy thing to replace, should I have replaced it before it started rattling, and is it still okay to use it while the fan is rattling? I know for a fact that it needs to be taken into a repair shop so we can have it professionally cleaned of any dust and gunk that's accumulated in the last ten years (it's THAT old), but I'd still like to play my Final Fantasy music rips and hop on Guild Wars whenever I feel like it in the meantime.

...honestly, it'd probably be better to go and buy a new desky entirely, but we are poor sons of bitches and can't afford a decent desky that runs 32-bit 7. I need 32 bit for my emulators and my other stupid programs, and Mom has a bunch of ancient 16 bit games that won't run at all on a 64x OS. (16 bit? Do I mean DOS? Why yes, yes I do. And now I feel older than steam. emot-tongue )

As always, help is appreciated greatly! emot-keke

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#30 | Back to Top08-19-2011 04:28:57 PM

QQQQQ
Cow Bellhop

A quick fix will be fan lubricant, applied to the motor and the spinning fan parts. http://www.noisy-computer-fans.co.uk/ -- this page here will help guide you on noisemaker fans. Ja, I like DOS games too.. I hear DosBOX runs plenty well even on 64-bit windoze.

Last edited by QQQQQ (08-19-2011 04:29:46 PM)

#31 | Back to Top08-20-2011 06:35:19 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

QQQQQ wrote:

interesting and informative stuff

Thanks for the advice! Still, is it safe to use the thing while the fan's being slightly wonky? I can't play my music rips on this rinky-dink 7 lappy, and I don't think I'll be allowed to install Guild Wars on it (it actually belongs to my dad).

#32 | Back to Top08-20-2011 09:34:54 PM

QQQQQ
Cow Bellhop

I have a comp with a wonky fan -- although the fan might intimidate you, it doesn't matter much other than (somewhat) less cooling for the comp. Unless you're into intensive stuff like Crysis or hard multitasking, it will be alright.

You can't play your music rips? The music player won't recognize them?

#33 | Back to Top08-20-2011 10:19:58 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

For one, thanks for all your help, QQQQQ. I think the two most resource intensive things I play are Guild Wars and Minecraft. Minecraft is probably the more intensive of those two; I always have slowing issues. The desktop, my mom's desktop, is about ten years old, give or take a year and a half, and it's honestly a surprise it hasn't died on us yet.

As for the music rips? Well, they're not what most people think of as rips. See, I play console emulators a lot, so I can play Super Nintendo or Game Boy games on the computer as long as I have the files (ROMs) that represent the data on the games' cartridges. I also download files that allow me to play the background music for those games. These are rips in the sense that you can use an emulator to "rip" the current background music data from the moment it starts playing, and then listen to them later with special programs or Winamp plug-ins. I use Winamp, and if the desktop tanks on me I don't know what I'm gonna do to play my tunes. All I remember is that Winamp got bought out from AOL or something similar, and I can't be sure that the special plug-ins I use for my video game music will work on the shiny new 64 bit version of Windows 7.

As for why I don't just download MP3s of those tunes, I like to hear them repeat seamlessly like they would if you heard them in the actual games, and the MP3 format doesn't let me do that. My plug-ins and special music files do, though, and most of the files will play on seamless repeat as long as I care to listen to the song in question. Just something of a preference, I suppose.

Also, I got left behind in the computer know-how department like seven or eight years ago, so a lot of the newer technology is beyond me; whenever I go to help my mom work with her 7-based laptop, I try to apply what I know from working with XP to the problem and hope I find a solution.

#34 | Back to Top08-20-2011 10:37:31 PM

QQQQQ
Cow Bellhop

Gaaah - I feel that technology is always passing everyone by! I'm not such a hotshot at Windoze 7/Vista myself - I only know how to turn off that blasted User Account Control. But now, about the musical rippings and plugins.. the plugins should work. Even on 64-bit. That is why they have backwards compatability!

#35 | Back to Top07-23-2012 07:24:51 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I have a question that needs an answer like, really really soon. As in within the next 72 hours soon.

Does Windows 7 have ANY backward compatibility for MS-DOS 6? I'm not talking about the 32-bit emulation stuff I've heard it has for any version beyond Premium 64 bit. I'm talking the ancient games that's either only got DOS-version exclusives (I actually know a game that does this) or is abandonware at this point.

I'm looking to buy a lappy that can handle my DOS games, my emulators and a couple programs I paid out the nose for, and the lappy that runs Guild Wars, Second Life and Diablo III literally won't cut it because it's 64 bit Premium 7, and I'm certain that it couldn't ever run a DOS program if its life depended on it.

I'm hoping the answer is "yes, and it's stupid easy too." Because if it isn't, I'm looking at buying an off-lease from TigerDirect just because it has XP Pro 32 bit.

#36 | Back to Top07-23-2012 09:16:20 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

BioKraze wrote:

Does Windows 7 have ANY backward compatibility for MS-DOS 6?

I'm hoping other people can add to this, but my best understanding is: no, it does not.  But have you looked into DOSBox?  It's a DOS emulator that runs fine on 64-bit operating systems.  I've used it to run DOS games before, and most of them have worked okay to well.

#37 | Back to Top07-23-2012 09:27:34 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

All the way back to MS-DOS 6.0 wow. Best bet is Dos Box with a good GUI. If you actually want to run MS-DOS though you may need to use a program like Oracle Virtual Box. Don't bother with Windows XP and trying to run DOS age software in it. With the changes done to the OS it's iffy at best.

#38 | Back to Top07-23-2012 10:28:39 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I'm well-aware of DOSBox; I use it to run my DOS-version copies of the old X-COM games (Enemy Unknown and Terror From the Deep), since no amount of VM coddling will get them to run outside of DOSBox.

I have two more games, Heretic and Hexen: Beyond Heretic. Both were basically fantasy versions of DOOM; Heretic added an inventory system and Hexen pioneered the hub-level concept of FPS play. Problem is, neither of them run very well under DOSBox; oh sure, they RUN, but the framerate is choppy as hell, and I've already got my copy of the emulator optimized for XCom specifically. They run better outside of DOSBox, as long as the operating system is Windows XP.

The problems here are simple: Heretic doesn't have a Windows 9x version, while Hexen does; however, Hexen has an expansion pack...that only works with the DOS version. If I can run both games outside of DOSBox, I'll be happy as a clam; I don't relish the idea of constantly fiddling with the CPU cycles and framerate parts of the emulator. Hence why I ask if Win7 can support DOS in version 6 form. If it doesn't, then I either have to buy a used lappy running XP or see if I can't find a friend (either of mine or my dad's) that can slap together a frankencompy for me.

I do thank everybody who commented on DOSBox, but tl;dr, I already know and unfortunately it's not a quick cure-all for my situation. >>;;;

#39 | Back to Top09-07-2012 06:15:14 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Bluh. This is not exactly a computer fix, but an internet fix.

My parents, being the cheap people they are, when the time came to upgrade from dialup, upgraded to dsl (I can't blame them. $25 for high-speed internet is a damn good deal). A far sight better than dialup, but also slow in comparison to cable. Tolerable though. Well, a while back, the router died. They replaced it, and internet speeds in general dropped. They assume it's the particular router they got, and I'm not going to question it, but my first question is how to avoid that mistake when I inevitably replace it?

And this leads me to this last couple of days. My internet speeds have dropped from reliable (could play relatively intensive games with a tolerable amount of lag, or stream Netflix on the Wii with little issue) to ... abysmal. Dragon and I doing normal websitey things (nothing strenuous. No flash, no games, no streaming) would slow each other to crawls and/or time out websites to even load.

What on earth could possibly be causing this? I kinda would like to do things on the internet, more than read forums. (As lovely as this forum is, it does pale after a while of it being the only thing that loads anywhere near reliably) I have responsibilities and duties and suchlike.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#40 | Back to Top09-08-2012 01:54:59 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

DSL lines are pretty consistent. If you're suddenly experiencing a near fatal drop in speeds, the computer is the more likely culprit than the router/modem. You may want to look around on the computer, do some virus and malware scanning, and determine if there's anything there that's slowing you down.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#41 | Back to Top09-08-2012 11:12:48 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I questioned the parents. They say it's pretty common when it rains. emot-confused Which it has been, but bluh?

If it were just one of us, I'd assume it's the fault of the computer. When both computers are experiencing the same issue with speeds, it seems highly unlikely. But I haven't run a virus or malware scan in a while, so I should do that anyway.

#42 | Back to Top09-08-2012 11:20:19 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Yeah -- I may be an amateur, but I gotta say, if two computers are both experiencing the slowdown, and it's more pronounced when they're both accessing pages at the same time, and the problem began when a router was replaced, that sounds a lot more like a network or DSL issue than a computer issue.  Are you on a wireless network?  Any indication that the signal is of poor quality?  A defective router could perfectly well receive high-speed DSL input but not propagate that through the air to your computer very well.

#43 | Back to Top09-08-2012 05:45:05 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Aine Silveria wrote:

I questioned the parents. They say it's pretty common when it rains. emot-confused Which it has been, but bluh?

If it were just one of us, I'd assume it's the fault of the computer. When both computers are experiencing the same issue with speeds, it seems highly unlikely. But I haven't run a virus or malware scan in a while, so I should do that anyway.

Crap signal when it rains points to shoddy outdoor telephone wiring. The telco will have to locate the poor wiring and replace it.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#44 | Back to Top09-08-2012 05:53:35 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Your connection can also be extremely dodgy if said wiring isn't up to snuff for high-speed data transmission. Houses built in the 40's/50's that haven't been upgraded to meet modern demand generally have this type of wiring. I speak from experience; about four or five years ago, I used to live in a house built in the early 40's whose telephone wiring hadn't been designed or upgraded to handle anything stronger than a standard phone call. Normally -- as I understand, anyway -- the company responsible for the wiring won't charge you to retrofit the network for the modern age, since it's their wiring and thus their problem. I might be wrong, if you decide to investigate along this route Nova posits.

However, I'm certain that your house's wiring isn't THAT old, Aine. Else we would barely be able to voice-chat and play games together. I'm more with the mods, in that it seems more like you have a dodgy or defective router. But as you're aware, I wouldn't necessarily trust me for hardware problems. >>;;;

#45 | Back to Top09-08-2012 08:48:57 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

The router isn't new by any stretch of the term. But it's not old. Maybe a year or two? I have poor timeline memory. That segment was there to ask advice on router-buying. The idea that maybe it was substandard is a possibility to explain the drop in performance back then.

The electrical system in this house is bloody old. I honestly don't know anything about the telephone system.

#46 | Back to Top09-08-2012 09:52:28 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

Normally the phone company is only responsible to the house and any wiring inside is the owner's problem. DSL is well known to have issues with old telephone wiring. The other issue is are you using DSL filters.

#47 | Back to Top09-08-2012 10:11:01 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

(Ugh, I don't even want to think of the work necessary to bring this house up to code electrically...)

DSL filters? If I don't know what it is, I probably am not using it, right?

#48 | Back to Top09-08-2012 10:20:18 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

I don't remember the specific details of how they work but voice and fax with interfere with the DSL signal. Generally one is installed on each phone between the phone and the wall jack. However it is possible for one to be built into the DSL modem or the telephone wiring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_filter

#49 | Back to Top07-12-2013 06:30:12 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

*casts Animate Dead on thread*

I have a network question. Not quite an actual problem/issue, but it's something I'd like to figure out without calling my ISP.

Bluntly put, how do I determine my router's port number/address thingy, without having to call the people who set us up with the router? Assume I know nothing about hardware AND networking/telecom, because seriously. I don't.

It's a Wi-fi router, and I ask this because I'm trying to set up a Terraria server without needing to rely on Hamachi, 'cause Steam tech support claims that Hamachi can interfere with Steam's functioning, and I don't want to play hot potato with my client. emot-frown

#50 | Back to Top07-12-2013 08:56:45 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

Post the model number and maker of the router or search the internet with them. This will give you the default user name and password to log into the router. Typically this is something like "admin" for both the user and password. Many times people don't change this Next you use a web browser to log into the router. Enter it's IP address into the address bar, typically 192.168.1.1 into the address bar then press enter. This will let you change the settings.

From your description you want to port forward. Typically this means that you set the router so that people from the outside can access a specific computer on the inside of your network.

Board footer