This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-18-2016 12:39:07 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Common Aspects of Entertainment (That You Don't Care About)

Most of the music we listen to as music has lyrics. Lyrics are just kind of expected. I love some good lyrics, but I don't really care if there are lyrics being sung alongside the instrumentation or not. Instrumental music is just fine and, for me, frequently preferable.

One of the highest praises for commercial films is that the plot is "tight." But, in general, we expect movies to have a central plot and for most aspects to feed into and follow along that plotline. I don't care if a movie has a plot.

I was at a Matisse show, recently, and overheard more than one person complain that Matisse left some canvas visible. I guess this is a crime or shows how lazy he was (their kids could do this stuff, you know). But, it made me look around online and realize that this is a very expected thing. Paintings cover the whole canvas. And, I realized, I don't care if it does. It's just paint. We already know the canvas is under there. I kinda actually like things better when they look like the artist stopped when they decided to stop, rather than overdoing things just to be "complete."

So, which can you do without?

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#2 | Back to Top11-18-2016 01:34:21 PM

malna
Caretaker

Re: Common Aspects of Entertainment (That You Don't Care About)

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

It's just paint. We already know the canvas is under there. I kinda actually like things better when they look like the artist stopped when they decided to stop, rather than overdoing things just to be "complete."

Oh, I really like your take on it.
I suppose that's partly what I like about Japanese art, how unfinished a lot of it often seems.

http://www.ink-treasures.com/ryuurui-szmerdt/images/Japanese-ink-painting/Landscape-Sesshu.jpg

Then there's often "let's add some kanji in the corner" and sometimes little objects or animals that have nothing to do with anything, effectively making the whole thing look like the last page in a notebook you take to boring classes.

I often like an open ending to a story. Many people hate not getting clear conclusion and neat tying of all plot lines but I guess I can appreciate possibilities of various outcomes, and more than that, I find it somehow more realistic, since in our lives seldom do we get a nice wrap up to everything at once. Also, what at first glance seems like an open ending can actually be a very conclusive statement too - matters of perspective.

You know how they keep telling that "communication is key"?
I can mostly do without it. In my relations, I don't find it that important and sometimes I even think it takes valuable things away. I don't often feel the need to be perfectly understood and I don't pry on other people's secrets. The better communication, the lower level of trust is required, and trust is a beautiful thing. There's something exciting about not really knowing but being sure all the same.
I suppose that's one of the reasons I like SKU Ruka so much.

a lot of hope in one man tent

#3 | Back to Top12-12-2016 08:26:08 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Watching most, if not all team based professional sports... and just sporting events overall. I am not really an watching sports person at all, but it seems to me that the team based ones bore me even more. Funnily enough have found myself enjoyed a few male one on one fighting based events/matches.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#4 | Back to Top12-14-2016 01:02:55 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Most of the music we listen to as music has lyrics. Lyrics are just kind of expected. I love some good lyrics, but I don't really care if there are lyrics being sung alongside the instrumentation or not. Instrumental music is just fine and, for me, frequently preferable.

I agree with this sentiment. I've been disappointed many times when I'm rocking out to something on the radio and I'm stopped short as soon as the vocals come on. Whether it's the awkward lyrics, or the generic/whiny/incompetent voice of the singer, or just the awesome instrumentals being cut back so you can hear what's being sung, it will put me off. Not always, of course. But, when it happens, I notice.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#5 | Back to Top12-17-2016 11:48:23 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

I still see in casual conversation or in reviews so, so much quotes of "weird, but still good". As if the former doesn't already suggest the latter. I don't think people realize that they even talk like that, since almost everyone knows about good weird stuff, we're not in the Nikkatsu-in-the-60's era anymore, but such phrases still slip out. It's silly. I'll take an extremely creative and interesting trainwreck over well-constructed fluff. I think most people would, deep down, but they don't admit it to themselves because they're still hung up in ridiculous ideas about "quality".

im a shadow play girl irl

Board footer