This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-01-2010 08:54:23 AM

randomprojects
Juri Jeerer

Variations on a theme: Utena's first encounter with Anthy and Akio

Ok, so we all know about the fateful encounter that changed little Utena's life, but...

What if other characters had a similar encounter? How would they react? Under what circumstance would it happen? How would Akio/Dios try to persuade them?

#2 | Back to Top01-01-2010 10:29:29 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Re: Variations on a theme: Utena's first encounter with Anthy and Akio

randomprojects wrote:

Ok, so we all know about the fateful encounter that changed little Utena's life, but...

What if other characters had a similar encounter? How would they react? Under what circumstance would it happen? How would Akio/Dios try to persuade them?

Are you talking about Utena's childhood encounter with Dios?  Or something else?

#3 | Back to Top01-02-2010 12:16:04 AM

randomprojects
Juri Jeerer

Yeah, that's the incident I was referring to. Sorry if I've made it unclear...

#4 | Back to Top01-06-2010 11:57:59 AM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Dios chose Utena because he thought she was the only one with half a chance of saving Anthy. I can't imagine anyone else being suitable.

#5 | Back to Top01-07-2010 05:26:28 AM

randomprojects
Juri Jeerer

I understand that - in terms of the actual storytelling, there was no one but Utena who would go in the "I'm going to save her!" direction. Therefore Akio/Dios showed the 'truth' only to her, because that is what motivates her to fight in the Duels. I am merely speculating how other characters would react if Akio/Dios showed them the same thing when they were younger. What I am interested in is how people would imagine those speculated scenarios to be like - would Touga flat out ask what's in it for him? Would Nanami yell at Dios/Akio to save his own sister? Would Wakaba want to help but is convinced that she can't because she's not special or strong enough no matter how hard she tries? (As you can tell, I'm a bit of an AU lover...)

I'm really sorry for making this thread so unclear - perhaps I should have posted this in a speculation/what-if scenario heavy board instead of this one? (Which is more concerned about discussing the different interpretations of the things that did happen.) If so, is there a way I could transfer this thread to another board?

#6 | Back to Top01-07-2010 05:36:22 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

brian wrote:

Dios chose Utena because he thought she was the only one with half a chance of saving Anthy. I can't imagine anyone else being suitable.

And by "Dios" we mean "Akio," right? And by "saving Anthy" we mean "growing up with a princely heart?" emot-tongue Or do you not take him at his word when he says that he was the one who saved her?

Anyway, this whole thing is kind of a difficult question, because each of the Duelists do have an encounter that sets them down the path to dueling... they're just (presumably?) not engineered by Akio. (Saionji, Touga: their encounter with Utena. Miki: the disastrous concert. Juri: Shiori's little "miracles" speech. Nanami: probably the kitten murder.)

If Akio/Dios had intervened directly in their lives, especially if they were at as young an age as Utena was, wouldn't they have turned out to be significantly different people? I mean, just imagine what Utena would have been like if Dios hadn't appeared to her. Probably not the same! The fact that Utena was young and malleable (and in deep despair) was presumably a big factor in how and why Akio appeared before her. I can't imagine him trying the same thing when she was ten, for instance. And there's no real need for him to intervene at such an early age if he's just looking for normal duelists like the Student Council members - life produces enough flawed, obsessive people already.

So it seems like part of the question becomes "what were the Duelists like as little kids?", which I think the forum has talked about haphazardly, but not in a dedicated thread. Alternately, are you suggesting that theoretically, Akio/Dios might have a different purpose in staging an "encounter" with each of them, other than to create a princely champion?

(EDIT: Whoops, sorry! You posted your clarifying comment while I was writing this one, and I didn't see it. Also, this is totally the appropriate board for any SKU discussion, don't worry.)

Last edited by Dallbun (01-07-2010 05:39:16 AM)

#7 | Back to Top01-07-2010 01:23:02 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Hrm, haven't put too much thought into the others, but I think Saionji would have been devastated by it.  Saionji's got his heart set on something eternal, specifically, something good that lasts forever/will not leave him.  To be shown that that closest thing one can get to eternity is eternal pain, or, better put, that static, unending repetition is akin to hell...  would have destroyed his dreams a bit too neatly, and he would have no desire to duel.  He wouldn't believe there to be any point.  Sure, he would still want to be friends with Touga, but dueling, or trying and failing, isn't a risk he's going to take if he knows that once he wins, his happiness/friendship will still be impermanent or fallible.

#8 | Back to Top01-12-2010 09:05:59 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

So they all saw Anthy pierced by the swords when they were little kids...so how would our Utena cast react? I definitely think each would probably make a vow to do something about it.... Some just like Utena, “I’m going to save everyone in practice for this soul.” But others, like Saionji might say, “I’m going to center my life on saving this one solitary person, to the exclusion of the affairs of all others.” And some like Wakaba, would she vow to do something, but then her mind flits away to the next interesting thing that comes along? By seeing it, and realizing they could do nothing right then, who would be crushed? Touga?! Shiori?! Who could promise to get stronger for later, knowing someone is suffering eternally all along? Juri? Kozue? Who would be overwhelmed by the hopelessness and eternally crushed? Miki? Nanami? I think they’d all care, but how they’d each respond, it is interesting to wonder about. Good question! emot-smile

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

Board footer