This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top10-25-2006 02:33:22 AM

Sanguine_Rose
Juri Jeerer

Re: Demian - Chapter by chapter group analysis, starting 10/27!

How could this book have passed me by?! It's been ages since i've been in a group discussion like this so i'm on board too!
Wheee! i'm going to dig out all of my old english college books on analysing texts! There's nothing i like better than mass debation~ 

yes, that's an old joke.

When Patrick Stewart says "Come", WE ALL COME.

#27 | Back to Top10-25-2006 07:30:56 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Sanguine_Rose wrote:

There's nothing i like better than mass debation~ 

yes, that's an old joke.

I've never heard it, and I'm glad I did. emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#28 | Back to Top10-25-2006 08:14:44 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Hey, Gio, make a damn announcement saying we're reading Demian and anyone who wants to join has to have a book and be ready by.... umm... how's friday work for everyone?

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#29 | Back to Top10-25-2006 08:43:44 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I have a whole week off! Starting from Monday, so Friday sounds good.

...where I get the book is another issue.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#30 | Back to Top10-25-2006 08:55:30 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

Hey, Gio, make a damn announcement saying we're reading Demian and anyone who wants to join has to have a book and be ready by.... umm... how's friday work for everyone?

Yessss masssster....

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#31 | Back to Top10-25-2006 12:57:08 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I am SO in there. [wriggles happily and waits for Friday] etc-love

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#32 | Back to Top10-25-2006 01:06:58 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm going to start a new thread on Friday beginning the discussion. In the meantime, let's all decide on broad strokes of schedule. The Word document copy is about 100 pages, and the book is 8 chapters, so no threat there, it ain't War and Peace. The physical copies of the book tend to be around 160 pages, so I was thinking we could 'assign' about 3 chapters per week, something that keeps the read load light and allows for very extensive discussion. I don't know how fast everyone reads or how much of this they'll be able to push out in their spare time, personally, I'd be fine with just about any schedule, since I could just read the whole thing on Saturday. Feel free to offer thoughts and advice for how to go about this, it's certainly a first for me to attempt group reading/discussion. emot-wink

I'm going to do a little homework over this week, so the thread will open with background information and an overview, maybe a few links to helpful pages. Let's do this right, or at least let's make it fun! emot-smile

#33 | Back to Top10-25-2006 01:18:12 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Giovanna wrote:

I'm going to start a new thread on Friday beginning the discussion. In the meantime, let's all decide on broad strokes of schedule. The Word document copy is about 100 pages, and the book is 8 chapters, so no threat there, it ain't War and Peace. The physical copies of the book tend to be around 160 pages, so I was thinking we could 'assign' about 3 chapters per week, something that keeps the read load light and allows for very extensive discussion. I don't know how fast everyone reads or how much of this they'll be able to push out in their spare time, personally, I'd be fine with just about any schedule, since I could just read the whole thing on Saturday. Feel free to offer thoughts and advice for how to go about this, it's certainly a first for me to attempt group reading/discussion. emot-wink

I'm going to do a little homework over this week, so the thread will open with background information and an overview, maybe a few links to helpful pages. Let's do this right, or at least let's make it fun! emot-smile

Damn right! I could read the thing easily in a few hours; I read about a quarter of it on Sunday and wandered off only because my spare time is so bloody limited at the moment. I only left it because I want it to be fresh in my mind, and I wasn't sure when we were starting! I am absolutely intrigued by this book on its own merits, actually, and it's reminding me of a LOT of other books and whatnot other than Utena. This shall be fun! etc-wankgirl

I am not sure how to go about it either, but I think asking questions and going for answers as a group might be an idea, i.e. as we begin to analyse a chunk, have everyone come up with a question or an observation that they had and build around that idea. If someone doesn't have anything specific to say, that's cool; it just means we can flesh out the other ideas. If that makes any sense; I didn't become a teacher for a very good reason. I SUCK AT IT! emot-biggrin

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#34 | Back to Top10-25-2006 02:11:44 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oh hell yeah, Demian stands on its own, but then, being a bit of a slut for school-freud (I used to bitch about how much I hated him, this is called denial school-eng101) and the whole psychoanalysis movement, well yeah. I'm not meaning for all discussion to focus on SKU, although I think given our area of expertise, that we'll be using familiarity with one as a jumping off point to process the other, and then vice versa as we go along. I'll keep the thread in the SKU forum, but not everything we discuss must center around how it relates to SKU. I'm really stoked about having the chance to discuss something outright like this at all. I grew up in American schools. emot-frown In 9th grade we started Romeo and Juliet and got about a scene in before the teacher gave up. emot-frown I was in the AP class. emot-frown

I'm figuring we'll do kinda a freeform discussion with questions, something structured enough to follow but open enough to allow for all the really cool stuff that pops up from following trains of thought wherever they might take you. emot-smile

#35 | Back to Top10-25-2006 05:06:44 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

HURRAH! I'm so happy, my other philosophy groups were kinda... I dunno. I didn't like the material we were covering, and the groups were pretty uninteresting as people. I'm going to try to get my philosophy prof in here if possible, he's awesome. etc-love

Yeah, I totally go to his D&D meets, I should make him come in for Demian discussion. emot-biggrin

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#36 | Back to Top10-26-2006 08:30:08 PM

Touga's_Disciple
Saionji Slapper

I read Demian about 3 or 4 years ago, it was for a lecture on Hermann Hesse... My teacher in that moment said that Hesse was really influentiated by Carl Jung, and
other guy (i don't remember his name now, i'll find it!! i promise!!!). Jung was a psychoanalyst, so the thread will be very "cerebral"... emot-biggrin

It will be really a pleasure to post in the Hesse's thread!!! emot-danceemot-dance At last i can use some of my studies for some FUN!!!!!!school-eng101

And other point... when in the book mentions about breaking the shell, he named Abraxas..... I'ts a Gnostic's God.

See ya on the thread!

"... and all of this is all an illusion. You will wake up, open your eyes and see that you are alone, in the middle of the night, crying and wishing to have someone by your side holding you and wiping out those tears.

That will be also an Illusion."

#37 | Back to Top10-26-2006 11:34:48 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

All right, so Gio got herself all wrapped up making a new layout for the Mrs. Ohtori shrine (it's sexay, I get the previews and I know you'll love it etc-wankdude) and she hasn't got the time to do background work for Demian. I'm going to do it, but I won't be able to until about 6 or 7 mountain standard time (GMT-7) tomorrow evening. This doesn't leave me much time to prepare, so the background info might be a bit sparse, but we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, everyone get your books ready! I will do my best to provide information and links, as well as a rough outline of discussion structure (so's we don't get too off topic).

In conclusion, etc-wankdudeemot-danceetc-wankgirletc-loveetc-loveetc-wankgirlemot-danceetc-wankdude

#38 | Back to Top10-27-2006 03:50:10 AM

vitupera
New Student
Website

Oh man, this is exciting.  etc-love  I only just signed up for this forum this morning, so please excuse my joining just under the wire.  emot-keke;;

#39 | Back to Top10-27-2006 03:59:15 AM

Joku_Krypfto
Saionji Slapper

Ahh, if only my book backlog wasn't filled to the brim! Though Demian isn't my favourite Hermann Hesse novel, I certainly wouldn't mind reading it again and discussing it with you people. But, since I have a ton of stuff I haven't yet read but have been meaning to, I'm afraid I'll have to pass this chance up.

I might still pop up occasionally in the discussion thread to spout my vague recollections of my vague interpretations, if that's all right with you guys.

Originality is nothing.
Hypertextuality is everything.
Obey your hypertextuality.
☞ MOKUSHIKUSHIMOSHIMOKUKUMOSHIMOSHIKUSHIKUMO ☜

#40 | Back to Top10-27-2006 08:15:03 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Joku_Krypfto wrote:

I might still pop up occasionally in the discussion thread to spout my vague recollections of my vague interpretations, if that's all right with you guys.

More than fine! Come one, come all! If you can read along, I think we all would prefer it, but if you can't that's okay too.

#41 | Back to Top10-27-2006 12:12:30 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

I'd join, but I can't find an text file version on Project Gutenberg, and I'm too lazy to go to the library today... emot-frown

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#42 | Back to Top10-27-2006 12:15:21 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

onsenmark wrote:

I'd join, but I can't find an text file version on Project Gutenberg, and I'm too lazy to go to the library today... emot-frown

Read the whole thread. emot-wink

#43 | Back to Top10-27-2006 12:51:04 PM

Sanguine_Rose
Juri Jeerer

I've ordered my copy off Amazon.co.uk because all the bookshops and  librarys in manchester SUCK. as they have no copy ANYWHERE. emot-mad Hopefully, I'll get my copy soon so i don't get behind.

When Patrick Stewart says "Come", WE ALL COME.

#44 | Back to Top10-27-2006 01:10:37 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Sanguine_Rose wrote:

I've ordered my copy off Amazon.co.uk because all the bookshops and  librarys in manchester SUCK. as they have no copy ANYWHERE. emot-mad Hopefully, I'll get my copy soon so i don't get behind.

If it's anything like amazon.com in the US and nothing like amazon.ca, you should have it in four days max, so you're good. emot-smile

#45 | Back to Top10-27-2006 03:19:01 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Giovanna wrote:

onsenmark wrote:

Read the whole thread. emot-wink

*holds up a sign saying "/r/ text version of Demian plz."*

(That way, I can read along on my PDA, lol. emot-dance )

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#46 | Back to Top10-27-2006 09:40:41 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

I wasn't sure I had time to do this, but why not? At the very least I can follow along. I need a computer version of the book though please Gio emot-keke

#47 | Back to Top10-27-2006 09:43:21 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I'll make sure she gets it to you soon. I'm about halfway through the first chapter so far. emot-smile

#48 | Back to Top11-10-2006 03:55:58 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I just got a copy from my library. I know it's late, sorry! I'm going to start reading it tonight, and I'll post my first impressions later.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

Board footer