This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top07-13-2014 07:37:10 PM

Aninha
Juri Jeerer

Re: Media and Crying

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Aninha wrote:

If you liked the movie, read Violette Leduc's La Batarde and Therese and Isabelle, she goes into excruciating detail and is completely honest and blunt about everything, it's one of the best autobiographies I've read.

I like more recent translations of her stuff, but yes, wholeheartedly agree. Also, Violette Leduc may be one of the best names ever.

For whatever reason, the book club I advised last year ended up being almost entirely queer memoirs or roman a clefs. Which was very fun, very harrowing, but also a little "how did that happen? oh well."

Her name is pretty cool, and yet she was relentlessly bullied for it because a famous guy has the same name.

That sounds interesting, I've read very few queer memoirs myself, maybe I should catch up.

#27 | Back to Top07-13-2014 08:59:11 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Re: Media and Crying

I have to admit that most Pixar films that I've seen, with the exception of Monsters University and A Bug's Life, have made me a bit misty-eyed during one scene or another. The fear of abandonment that the main characters of the Toy Story movies felt. The sequence in Up detailing Carl's life up to the present day. Pretty much the entire first half of Wall-E (lonely robots always make me sad). I'll say one thing for the Pixar crew, they're damn good at manipulating my emotions.

I'm also a bit of a romantic when it comes to space travel. Just mention the Voyager probes and I have to fight to keep myself under control. So, when I saw the final episode of the Cosmos remake, I was on the verge of becoming a pile of blubbering flesh. There's Neil Degrasse Tyson going over Voyager's golden record and how it will still be playable a billion years after we're gone, just mentioning every single point that hits home for me. And then the bastard punches me in the face by playing Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot speech. I was a mess.

So, yeah, if you want to see me cry, just put on Wall-E or read out loud the mission specs of Voyagers 1 and 2. Guaranteed, you'll witness some waterworks.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

Board footer