This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#4776 | Back to Top04-15-2015 12:01:50 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: so whatcha listenin' to?

Ike Turner's Black Man's Blues album kicks the ass off the pop stuff he and Tina Turner were doing at the same time.

I don't mean that in a "the other stuff sucks" way. No way! But, an instrumental funk and blues album let them dig in without giving a shit about being useful for radio play. Vanity projects can be awesome and this one is.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#4777 | Back to Top04-18-2015 01:40:29 PM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

The gems a simple playlist shuffle can unearth! Save for the ZUM Industrial mix I kinda ignored the musical OST. I shouldn't have done that...

#4778 | Back to Top04-18-2015 06:23:52 PM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

A combination of the opening and ending themes from Kill La Kill, InuYasha, Rose of Versailles, Mawaru Penguindrum, Yuri Kuma Arashi, and Shoujo Kakumei Utena. I call it "Shower Music."

Listening to "Nostalgia of Delusion" makes me cry. A lot.

"Depression, the bereavement of the Past
Anxiety, the imminence of the Future
Contentment, the seduction of the Present
Time flows mercilessly, and I reside on the Island of Denial"

#4779 | Back to Top04-28-2015 04:36:42 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Suzi Quatro - Girl from Detroit City

God, she's just one of the best. Best ever best.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#4780 | Back to Top05-07-2015 07:29:22 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Giovanna been someone's muse recently?

#4781 | Back to Top05-29-2015 11:40:54 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Ha! That's actually pretty catchy.

These Lumps (Sim Gretina Remix): https://youtu.be/ae4QxCmNaNo

It's so weird to hear Lumpy Space Princess sound like a girl. emot-rofl

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#4782 | Back to Top09-17-2015 04:51:08 PM

Paris Rose
New Student

I'm listening to a beautifully put together AMV of Anthy and Utena.
The song is called 'Last Dance' by Chapeau Claque.

#4783 | Back to Top10-04-2015 11:42:02 PM

Lilac
Wakaba Wrangler

I Sat by the Ocean - Queens of the Stone Age, apparently.

#4784 | Back to Top10-08-2015 02:01:35 AM

No_Time
New Student

My favorite from Random Access Memories.
This one really hits you hard with that sense of nostalgia. Except I've never even kissed a girl, so... this song expresses my desire to be in a reciprocated and loving relationship. emot-frown

Last edited by No_Time (10-08-2015 02:05:37 AM)

#4785 | Back to Top11-11-2015 04:52:59 PM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders in honor of its 10 yr anniversary.

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#4786 | Back to Top11-18-2015 10:05:21 AM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. I thought it was a masterpiece back when it came out and still think it is.

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#4787 | Back to Top11-21-2015 02:58:40 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Cobras and Fire, the new alternate reality/What If...? Monster Magnet album. Because I'm in an album mood at the moment, rather than song-by-song.

Such a lush, resonant exercise in just weirding things up. I'm a big fan of alternate takes, and MM is known for extending and warping songs live, but these last two albums go way beyond remixes or chucking in a sitar solo. New lyrics, new orchestrations, new songs, new tones and topics, new structure, and none of it just blatant make-it-a-dance-number beats interpolated into the original. This isn't a bid for some club plays, it's a firewall to keep out drapes. The aural equivalent of seeing Nazi Superman or those Mirror Universe Star Trek episodes with no assurance you'll ever get back to the normal.

#4788 | Back to Top11-25-2015 10:07:01 AM

DiddlyPanda
Anthy Assailer

I'm pretty hung up on the album Enter the Mindsweep by Enter Shikari. I've fallen in love with them. etc-love

Icarus is flying too close to the sun
And Icarus's life, it has only just begun
This is how it feel to take a fall
Icarus is flying towards an early grave

#4789 | Back to Top11-30-2015 04:14:56 PM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Been listening to Freddie Gibbs' latest album Shadow of a Doubt. It's good but not as good as his previous album Pinata.

#4790 | Back to Top12-02-2015 02:23:20 AM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

The original Broadway cast recording of Hamilton.

If I'm not actually listening to it, it's on a loop in my head.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#4791 | Back to Top12-02-2015 08:24:12 AM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Re-listening Aquemini for the millionth time.

#4792 | Back to Top12-05-2015 11:56:06 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas: Pentatonix Version

Oh Avi, my love! etc-love

#4793 | Back to Top12-22-2015 11:14:10 AM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Vince Staples - Summertime '06. Can't believe I didn't listen to this amazing album earlier.

#4794 | Back to Top12-22-2015 08:17:19 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

The year-end Hot 100 came out again -- funny how it keeps doing that, at about the same time every year -- so I did a silly and purely personal Top 10 again.  And I dunno, guys.  To go by my wall-to-wall playthrough of the Hot 100, pop music this year was mostly dreary and boring.  I like energy and enthusiasm in my pop music!  Fortunately, I found enough songs to make a list I'm reasonably happy with.   Songs that got big prior to 2015 -- such as "Uptown Funk" and "Thinking Out Loud," the two biggest pop songs of 2015 -- are excluded.

10 "Ex's & Oh's," Elle King.  Kicking off the list with a song that is better the less attention I pay to it.  I love its energy and conviction.  Its lyrics, not so much, but that's me.
9 "Can't Feel My Face," The Weeknd.  This band had tons of songs in the Hot 100, most of which I really disliked.  This one's totally different.  I dig the cool funky chorus.
8 "Fight Song," Rachel Platten.  When Taylor Swift started making pop music, this is the kind of song I hoped she would make: earnest, vivid, just indie enough to be interesting.
7 "Take Your Time," Sam Smith.  Jaw-droppingly, this is a pop song that celebrates respecting women's boundaries.  Sort of country, with cool freestyle bits that sell the song for me.
6 "Love Me Like You Do," Ellie Goulding.  This is not Burn or even Figure 8, but as usual, the force of Ellie Goulding's presentation carries me along.  The lady knows how to use her wall of sound.
5 "Lean On," Major Lazer & DJ Snake ft. M0.  Cool lyrics, super-cool hook, and the best use of a minor key in pop music this year.  Blow a kiss, fire a gun...
4 "Heartbeat Song," Kelly Clarkson.  Wow, I love this song way out of proportion to how artistically respectable it is.  Nothing deep here, just a crazy good hook and beat, with four familiar and comforting chords.
3 "Blessings," Big Sean ft. Drake & Kanye West.  Creative rhymes, good flow, thoughtful topics -- in short, everything that every other rap song on the 2015 chart wasn't.  Nicki tries, God bless her, but she picks the worst collaborators.  (Example.)
2 "Bad Blood," Taylor Swift ft. Kendrick Lamar.  I'm aware of the irony of putting Taylor up here and Rachel Platten at #8.  What can I say?  The Taylor Swift we got is less real than the Taylor Swift I wanted, but it's hard to hate when she makes songs that sound like this.
1 "Ghost," Ella Henderson.  I have never disliked a song called Ghost or Ghosts.  (See also: the Indigo Girls, Michael Jackson, Laura Marling.)  This one alternates between funky verses and a chorus that builds power as the song goes on.  I love, love, love a slow burn.

Honorable mentions, in alphabetical order by artist, and also, coincidentally, by title:
"Honey I'm Good," Andy Grammer.
"Marvin Gaye," Charlie Puth ft. Meghan Trainor.  (This is a really cute song.  Honorary #11.)
"Night Changes," One Direction.
"Time of Our Lives," Pitbull & Ne-Yo.
"Shut Up and Dance," Walk the Moon.

Special Award for Best Title: "Bitch Better Have My Money," Rihanna.

And that's what I've been listening to for the last couple days. emot-smile

Last edited by satyreyes (12-22-2015 08:23:56 PM)

#4795 | Back to Top12-30-2015 12:09:41 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

satyreyes wrote:

5 "Lean On," Major Lazer & DJ Snake ft. M0.  Cool lyrics, super-cool hook, and the best use of a minor key in pop music this year.  Blow a kiss, fire a gun...

LAZER SENSE TINGLING

It should go without saying that I picked the most ridiculous song I could think of and this is no way represents the song that satyr posted (which is actually super cool and not at all ridiculous).

I've been listening to this:

I'm not sure what to think of it. On the one hand, this song is fucking gorgeous, but it's all about wanting to be a teenager again or feeling like you wasted your teen years-- which, really, mine were unorthodox but I'm assured by like, everyone, that even outside of my circumstances it was no picnic for anyone.

But... it's gorgeous. And that "Feeling super, super, super! Suicidal..." is like, why are you stealing my life for that one line delivered that one exact way why

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#4796 | Back to Top12-30-2015 10:07:41 AM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Yasha wrote:

Teen Idle

I adore Marina, and especially this song. Her Electra Heart album can be hit or miss, but it's really beautifully sung, if a bit overproduced for some tastes (I think the production adds to the theme, though). If you're interested, her voice really shines on her newest album, FROOT.

I'm listening to the fabulous artist Christine and the Queens, who was the opening act when I saw Marina and the Diamonds' Neon Nature Tour this past November. Christine (real name: Héloïse) is pretty popular in France already, but some recognition stateside would be deserved. She's also a beautiful woman in a suit who channels Michael Jackson while dancing...so...

Last edited by Crystalline_Dream (12-30-2015 10:08:29 AM)

#4797 | Back to Top01-04-2016 08:09:14 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch Soundtrack: Koi wa nan darou?   

Last edited by Riri-kins (01-04-2016 08:10:37 PM)

#4798 | Back to Top01-07-2016 11:28:40 AM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Currently listening to Kid Cudi's Man on the Moon. I need to wash out the bad after-taste of Speeding Bullet to Heaven.

#4799 | Back to Top01-24-2016 03:07:14 PM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Listening to Death Grips - Exmilitary. Its... weird.

#4800 | Back to Top02-05-2016 10:35:28 AM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Let's just say all the acclaim Hamilton's received is well-deserved. The Youtube playlist of the original cast album has been on repeat for days.

Board footer