This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-22-2016 05:31:33 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Nokemono to Hanayome

(Not related to Penguindrum or YKA, but it's a post-Utena Ikuhara work so I figured this is as good a place as any)

Do you guys know about this manga? Ikuhara wrote it. It's been going for many years now, but there's never been an official localization, so like many, many manga, it remains super obscure to us westerners.

This is the description on MAL and similar sites. "This series weaves a strange, surreal, and often dark comedy resplendent with ruffles and lace. It is on the surface a farce about a young girl travelling with her lover, some sort of bear-type creature, but as to be expected of Ikuhara it's multi-layered. The series is being endorsed by Baby the Stars Shine Bright, the leading name in Japanese lolita fashion, and the characters often wear clothes based off of those from the company."

They drive around in a car. It seems so very Ikuhara.

im a shadow play girl irl

#2 | Back to Top06-23-2016 11:09:21 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Re: Nokemono to Hanayome

Holy hell, I can't believe I had never heard of this considering that I am huge Nakamura Asumiko fan and actually like Baby the Stars Shine Bright. I am so going to check this out, ASAP.

#3 | Back to Top06-28-2016 11:52:11 AM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

I found this manga just today, and I came on here to see if anyone else had noticed it! It has weird animals and a rather strange father-daughter dynamic, so it's trademark Ikuhara.
The first volume has been completed, but the scanlation group dosen't seem to have been active since autumn 2015 (and appear not to be responding to any queries about translations either). They have the raws for volume 2 as you can see here > http://w11.zetaboards.com/Tsukiscans/topic/8938990/1/

Google translating the Japanese Wikipedia page for the manga dosen't reveal much except that it has been serialized since about 2006, and the story is deffinitely a dark one (there was a plot summary but I tried not to look at that). There seem to be five volumes available on Amazon.

I'd love to see more of this translated (lolita fashion and Ikuhara are two of my favourite things in life), and I'm somewhat tempted to see if I can buy the Japanese volumes.

#4 | Back to Top06-28-2016 12:30:00 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

For those who might not know, the mangaka behind this is the amazing Nakamura Asumiko. She is known for her less than conventional style and for doing away with the typical seme/uke conventions in her BL work.
She is just responsible for the art in this particular project but it adds to the hype, no doubt about it.

Here is a sample of Nokemono's art:

http://www.anime-planet.com/images/manga/covers/nokemono-to-hanayome-2712.jpg

I can also see the Ikuhara connection since some of her work does somewhat echo SKU, in particular Barairo no Hoho no Koro.

#5 | Back to Top05-02-2017 02:59:33 PM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

RoseandRelease wrote:

I found this manga just today, and I came on here to see if anyone else had noticed it! It has weird animals and a rather strange father-daughter dynamic, so it's trademark Ikuhara.
The first volume has been completed, but the scanlation group dosen't seem to have been active since autumn 2015 (and appear not to be responding to any queries about translations either). They have the raws for volume 2 as you can see here > http://w11.zetaboards.com/Tsukiscans/topic/8938990/1/

Google translating the Japanese Wikipedia page for the manga dosen't reveal much except that it has been serialized since about 2006, and the story is deffinitely a dark one (there was a plot summary but I tried not to look at that). There seem to be five volumes available on Amazon.

I'd love to see more of this translated (lolita fashion and Ikuhara are two of my favourite things in life), and I'm somewhat tempted to see if I can buy the Japanese volumes.

omg...  I will translate if someone can help me find more volumes.  It takes a long time, but it's doable, not to mention it's Ikuhara!

Usubeni midarete manatsu no yo no yume yume
Tobitatsu kagerou koi kogarerou
Anata wo omoeba yume ni yume ni yume miru
Afureru yorokobi towa ni towa ni

#6 | Back to Top05-14-2017 11:51:16 AM

eyriesii
New Student

I bought all the volumes (1-5) half a year ago when I was in Japan and it's gorgeous! It's a shame nobody's translating it. Actually, it's a dream of mine to do it myself, but a very far-fetched one since I don't really know much about the process and my Japanese skills aren't good enough to quickly and comfortably translate 4 whole volumes just like that... Someday though! Unless you LadyButterflyNebula get there before me emot-wink (I'm also up for a collab, although at the moment I'm busy with other projects).

The world needs more Ikuhara as well as it needs more Nakamura Asumiko and what better way than to combine the two?  emot-dance

Last edited by eyriesii (05-14-2017 11:52:21 AM)

But being normal has nothing to do with us!

#7 | Back to Top07-27-2017 07:51:19 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm honestly kind of short on cash at the moment, but if anyone for some bizarre reason has either cash or copies they don't love, I'll happily be the one to butcher scan the raws for a translation project. emot-biggrin

I was actually enjoying this one myself, the art was gorgeous and it was a little less uh...yeah...than Yuri Kuma. I wasn't sure if it ever got finished or just fell off the map given what happened to the scanlations. I'd love to help get it here! I just can't afford the books at the moment. But I'm happy to do the elbow grease if someone will get the books and someone else will translate.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#8 | Back to Top08-06-2017 06:32:28 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

So I bit the bullet and grabbed a set of this manga, since I just ordered shit from Japan anyway. I know the translation project will probably move slow but I'm happy to provide raws over time of the manga!

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#9 | Back to Top01-24-2018 05:30:37 AM

Arale
Website

Volume 6 came out!

The cover's, uh... "sexy"? I guess. I do really like it, though.

(Just one of the many things that I'm a "fan" of, and keep track of news about, despite being unable to read...)

Last edited by Arale (01-24-2018 05:32:39 AM)

#10 | Back to Top05-28-2018 05:30:06 AM

Arale
Website

This! It's still a thing!

Volume 7!

Board footer