This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-06-2016 04:09:49 PM

Kae-Leah
Saionji Slapper

My Utena Manga Fanmix

I've made a prolific amount of probably fairly mediocre fanvids for my favorite manga, so I thought it'd be kinda fun to compile a list of the songs I've used, in chronological order of what point in the manga's story they remind me of most, so when played in this order as playlist they loosely retell the manga's story. Most of these song choices are lighter in tone that what you'd normally expect for SKU, but since the manga is more idealistic and conventionally magical girl-ish than the anime that works.
(1) Just A Girl-No Doubt
(2) Nothing's Wrong With Me-Pixel Perfect
(3) My Oh My-Aqua
(4) I Have A Dream-ABBA
(5) When You Wish Upon A Star-Disney
(6) New Girl In Town-Hairspray
(7) Roses Are Red-Aqua
(8) To The Rescue-Jem and the Holograms
(9) Magic-Ella Enchanted soundtrack
(10) New Romantics-Taylor Swift
(11) I Am-Hilary Duff
(12) Friend Like Me-Aladdin
(13) Beat This-Jem and the Holograms
(14) Don't Say You Love Me-M2M
(15) Every Me, Every You-Placebo
(16) What Makes You Different Makes You Beautiful-Backstreet Boys
(17) Can't Get My Love Together-Jem and the Holograms
(18) Will You Be There-Michael Jackson
(19) Magic Journeys-Disney
(20) Gift of a Friend-Demi Lovato
(21) Something There-Beauty and the Beast
(22) Who Am I Living For-Katy Perry
(23) No More Cry-The Corrs
(24) Malibu-Hole
(25) Unconditionally-Katy Perry
(26) Like A Prayer-Madonna
(27) For Good-Wicked
(28) I Want It That Way-Backstreet Boys
(29) Where Are You Now-Britney Spears
(30) I'll Remember-Madonna

Man or woman, it doesn't matter, one of strength and nobility is always a prince-Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena manga volume one

#2 | Back to Top06-06-2016 04:27:00 PM

maridaberri
Miki Molester

Re: My Utena Manga Fanmix

This makes me happy! emot-biggrin I love most of these songs. "Just a Girl" made me laugh. It's very fitting but I imagined it playing in the anime when Anthy tells Utena that she can't be a prince because she is a girl. That would really change the tone of the scene wouldn't it?
Were you associating the songs with specific scenes and chapters from the manga or more with general themes?

#3 | Back to Top06-06-2016 04:46:11 PM

Kae-Leah
Saionji Slapper

Re: My Utena Manga Fanmix

Most of the songs do work for general themes, but this playlist I listed the songs in chronological order of the manga scenes/chapters I most associate them with, so the beginning of the playlist is most associated with the early chapters of the manga and the ending of the playlist is more associated with the ending chapters etc.

Man or woman, it doesn't matter, one of strength and nobility is always a prince-Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena manga volume one

Board footer