This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top08-06-2017 05:04:10 AM

Leone
New Student

Re: New Utena Manga Translation Project

Hey there, I'm Leo from RGU 20th Anniversary.
Glad to know the manga is covered already. Great job!
Is any of you willing to do the interviews?
If not, I can try and find someone just for that.

#27 | Back to Top08-06-2017 06:26:38 AM

Leone
New Student

Ok, I just found a person who could do the interview.

Is anybody else willing to help?
Maybe Wolfzard, since you're a professional translator?

*edit* Wolfzard said he'll do it!

Last edited by Leone (08-06-2017 08:17:43 AM)

#28 | Back to Top08-06-2017 08:37:08 AM

purple-riot
Wakaba Wrangler

Wow, that was fast! Sorry I didn't manage to have much input. It turned out to be a bit of a bad time as I've got a lot going on right now. Anyway, I'd still be willing to proofread if that's of any use.

http://i.imgur.com/iGhjT.png?1

#29 | Back to Top08-06-2017 10:56:27 AM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Thanks to whoever just went through the translated file and added comments/suggestions! (There's a name attached but the file says Anon at the top, so I'm not sure it's the correct name.) I made changes where appropriate and left comments back where I felt needed. I'll be back later today to check for any more counter-comments/suggestions from them and anyone else.

"My brother's partner would have to be ‬attractive in face and figure,‭ ‬good at all sports,‭ ‬excellent in her studies,‭ ‬quick-witted, pretty‬ and pure of heart... luxurious and gorgeous, smooth sailing, auspicious for all occasions, born of the Pure Land, a beauty fated to die young, scandalous max, and vexatiously mysterious, at the very least!" --Kiryuu Nanami

#30 | Back to Top08-06-2017 11:16:33 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Ayu Ohseki wrote:

Thanks to whoever just went through the translated file and added comments/suggestions! (There's a name attached but the file says Anon at the top, so I'm not sure it's the correct name.) I made changes where appropriate and left comments back where I felt needed. I'll be back later today to check for any more counter-comments/suggestions from them and anyone else.

That was me; it wasn't thorough at all, I just had like 5 minutes this morning to fire off a couple of thoughts. I'll see if I can do so more later. Thanks for your efforts, Ayu!

#31 | Back to Top08-06-2017 03:38:23 PM

Wolfzard
New Student
Website

Glad to help on this project

#32 | Back to Top08-06-2017 05:04:04 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Dallbun wrote:

Ayu Ohseki wrote:

That was me; it wasn't thorough at all, I just had like 5 minutes this morning to fire off a couple of thoughts. I'll see if I can do so more later. Thanks for your efforts, Ayu!

Aha! Thanks again, then, and sure thing!

"My brother's partner would have to be ‬attractive in face and figure,‭ ‬good at all sports,‭ ‬excellent in her studies,‭ ‬quick-witted, pretty‬ and pure of heart... luxurious and gorgeous, smooth sailing, auspicious for all occasions, born of the Pure Land, a beauty fated to die young, scandalous max, and vexatiously mysterious, at the very least!" --Kiryuu Nanami

#33 | Back to Top08-06-2017 05:21:30 PM

Dallbun

Wolfzard wrote:

Glad to help on this project

Then by all means, do a pass and make suggestions on Ayu's translation. Hopefully we can make a final draft and send it to Gio in short order for editing.

#34 | Back to Top08-06-2017 06:41:17 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I love you guys. etc-loveetc-love

I've already stripped the text from a set of copies so they are ready for the translation to layer over.

I am working a literal shit load over the next couple weeks so I'll probably do the adding text at work on breaks if I end up being the fastest person. Lady Neb, I know you mentioned being up for doing that also, but for my part I have access to uh... Pretty nice software so I can certainly do it and then also scale down the images for reasonable consumption. So stoked!

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#35 | Back to Top08-10-2017 08:41:16 AM

barafubuki
Mikage Mistruster

Back from my hiatus with school (I graduated!!), but I'm also in the middle of moving out of my apartment.

Seems the translation for this project is already in the works, but I'm happy to give it a second pair of eyes.

I'm in the middle of finishing up my translation of Belladonna I started quite awhile back. Over half of it was done before life got in the way. Now many of us have got the Utena Omnibus Manga to compare the stories with. emot-smile

So much Utena stuff coming out--it's quite surreal!

#36 | Back to Top08-11-2017 04:21:30 PM

purple-riot
Wakaba Wrangler

I've had a look through and made some suggestions now.

By the way, this new chapter is really weird. It really seems like following the anime, Saito Chiho decided to go for a more abstract feel than the manga originally had.

http://i.imgur.com/iGhjT.png?1

#37 | Back to Top08-11-2017 07:36:39 PM

barafubuki
Mikage Mistruster

I got that impression as well purple-riot.

#38 | Back to Top08-12-2017 11:06:01 AM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Thanks to everyone who made editing suggestions! I accepted most of them as-is. There were a few where I didn't accept it wholesale but did change it to something similar to the original suggestion, and few where I left it as it was in the original (one because it came down to a stylistic choice, the other because I felt the objection actually made the original word choice stronger, and one because I felt there was more discussion to potentially be had on the matter).

To be more precise, if people want to look at the specifics: I left the repeated use of "power to revolutionize the world" uncapitalized; I left Akio's use of the word "contract" untouched (the objection was that it sounded too legal, but since he was offering Touga and Saionji his will in exchange for their cooperation earlier, I felt that it was an appropriate word choice); and the third is translating Utena's one line as "I grant you the power to revolutionize the world."

'I grant you' is not literally there in the line--as I mentioned in the G-Doc, I translated it that way because the line in question ("Sekai wo kakumei-suru chikara wo") is a clear reference to the summoning chant for the Sword of Dios, and Utena's line is translated in the official release as "Grant me the power to etc." Utena also appears to be giving Touga *something*, as right after she says that, he has a Rose Signet in his hand. My desire here was to preserve that callback. That said, I'm fine with deleting the 'I grant you' part to make it more ambiguous, or to change it to something like 'I hearken upon you/I reveal unto you,' since the verb associated with that comes at the end of Anthy's half of the speech, which is "Ima koso shimese" and gets translated as "Now, hearken upon us" in the Utena Encyclopedia translation. (The official translation IIRC is "come forth," which is a bit more broad.) This is probably the biggest remaining sticking point, so I'd be happy to hear any thoughts/opinions/input from people.

Last edited by Ayu Ohseki (08-12-2017 11:07:16 AM)

#39 | Back to Top08-12-2017 12:52:42 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Holy shit you guys.

I haven't read it yet because uh... I suck... But Ayu are you happy with the current iteration? If so I'll start putting in text!

Cool shit tho! My scans are already translated and available in Russian!

Also Fucking LOL Akio’s will. I can't even imagine what's in that.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#40 | Back to Top08-12-2017 12:55:03 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

FUCKING WHOA THEY'RE IN NYC

I THOUGHT TOUGA'S PLACE WAS NYC AF

I'M UNCOMFORTABLE WITH HOW MUCH MY MENTAL PICTURE OF THEIR LIVES AFTER OHTORI MATCHES CHICO SAITOS

#41 | Back to Top08-12-2017 01:09:45 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Hey is there an agreed on font for scanlations?

#42 | Back to Top08-12-2017 04:37:19 PM

barafubuki
Mikage Mistruster

I took a break last night and didn't make it all the way through. Let me know if you'd like me to keep going.

Last edited by barafubuki (08-12-2017 05:01:49 PM)

#43 | Back to Top08-12-2017 04:44:54 PM

barafubuki
Mikage Mistruster

Giovanna wrote:

Hey is there an agreed on font for scanlations?

I used Noteworthy and Osaka for Belladonnna, but there might be more appropriate typefaces out there.

For whatever typeface you decide to use, I'd keep it in capitals.

Last edited by barafubuki (08-12-2017 04:46:13 PM)

#44 | Back to Top08-12-2017 06:08:42 PM

Dallbun

Giovanna wrote:

I haven't read it yet because uh... I suck... But Ayu are you happy with the current iteration? If so I'll start putting in text!

I think that's safe. The translation is just fine overall. Even the one line that Ayu was recapping the debate over is fine as it is; Ayu's original interpretation of it seems like a perfectly valid one.

#45 | Back to Top08-12-2017 08:52:41 PM

Wolfzard
New Student
Website

Sorry for the delay

How is the status for the interviews translation? Did anyone just started or i can start it?

Yoroshiku

#46 | Back to Top08-12-2017 09:05:26 PM

Dallbun

Wolfzard wrote:

Sorry for the delay

How is the status for the interviews translation? Did anyone just started or i can start it?

Yoroshiku

To my knowledge, it's untouched. Kochira koso yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

#47 | Back to Top08-12-2017 10:18:49 PM

Wolfzard
New Student
Website

Understood

Then ill start it

If i need support ill tell

Yoroshiku onegaiitashimasu

#48 | Back to Top08-13-2017 11:52:29 AM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Gio: Yeah, I'm fine with the current status of the translation! I gave it one last glance-over and cleared the remaining notes. Dallbun, Bara Fubuki, and Purple-Riot all helped out with the editing. Also, wow, it's already been translated into Russian, huh? Impressive!

#49 | Back to Top08-14-2017 08:01:18 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

It sounds like you all have plenty of volunteers, however if my services can be of use I would love to help. emot-dance Just let me know (there are various outlets to contact me).

And yes, the fapping/Shlicking emojis are hilarious.

Usubeni midarete manatsu no yo no yume yume
Tobitatsu kagerou koi kogarerou
Anata wo omoeba yume ni yume ni yume miru
Afureru yorokobi towa ni towa ni

#50 | Back to Top08-14-2017 11:44:43 AM

Shinsoo
New Student

Seems like I arrived just in time!

A new manga?  Sweet emot-smile

Board footer