This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-15-2009 11:51:05 AM

Professor Plum
Touga Topper
Website

Tropical Storm Ana

Say hello to the first named Atlantic tropical storm of the year.

NOAA Page

Fortunately, it's not predicted to reach hurricane strength, but the track looks like it's headed directly for someone we all know and love. etc-love  Send good thoughts her way.

#2 | Back to Top08-15-2009 12:24:45 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Re: Tropical Storm Ana

Well, shit. This is when thoughts of mass extinction really suck ass. emot-frown

I hope our lovely moddess will be okay through all this. And if our wonderful mod-man is targetted too, I hope he pulls through fine as well!

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#3 | Back to Top08-15-2009 12:46:17 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

It's already that time of year?  Well, it's best if it does stay on the main land, that way it won't as likely sit in the Gulf and potentially grow into a hurricane.  But as long as it stay a tropical storm, the worst that can probably happen is some flooding, small property damage (the worst I have seen is a roof collapsing on a gas station), and power outages from a few hours to a day or two.  But good luck to anyone in the path since I know there's a number of people who live in Florida (on the forums, and for the people in general).  Though I'm not in the least bit concerned, tobqh, though my heart goes out to the small animals and other woodland creatures whose homes are liable to be threatened...and of course for any humans in that situation, too.

But honestly, I hope it doesn't result in any damages, flooding or otherwise.  That's really annoying and can be quite expensive.

edit: But now that I think of it, I did think it was unusually windy today despite no storms in the immediate area.  Well, I think I know why, now.

Last edited by spoon-san (08-15-2009 01:40:04 PM)

#4 | Back to Top08-15-2009 03:21:41 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I doubt it'll be much, but storm apathy is, apparently a huge thing the Red Cross is trying to combat, so perhaps I should be a bit more concerned...? Eh.

As for our lovely mod-ess, unless that projection path is gonna hit Edmonton, I think she'll be safe.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#5 | Back to Top08-15-2009 09:32:21 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

Oh fuck. I'm hoping this doesn't hit me.

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"
     - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

#6 | Back to Top08-15-2009 09:50:20 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

YostinAust wrote:

Oh fuck. I'm hoping this doesn't hit me.

Well, it does look, as of now, that it will cover Orlando, but it's a lot like what MissMocha said...storm apathy, though I didn't know Red Cross was combating it or whatever.  The way I see it, for those who have lived in Florida a long time, I would be a bit surprised if someone of such wasn't apathetic unless they were unfortunate enough to be in some way a part of one of those tragic cases you do hear about when a big storm hits.

But it's hard to really predict a storm's path.  I'm just content as long as it stays a tropical storm.  I'm tempted to jokingly say on a general level (i.e. geared towards Floridians as a general populace), "if you can't handle a tropical storm, then GTFO of Florida." But it's not something universally humorous, I realize.  My biggest worry, as silly as it sounds, is for the pears on my mother's pear tree.  They get ripe this time of year and almost every year, some big storm comes and knocks them to the ground before they fully mature.  That and trying to sleep with the power out with no AC during this time of year.  But I live literally on the coast and I've never been flooded.  Ever.  But I realize some people live on lower levels of land where they aren't so fortunate.  In any case, there won't be any mass extinctions, but things can always happen, too.  Just keep our fingers crossed for those who might be more apt to be negatively affected, right?

Last edited by spoon-san (08-15-2009 09:53:19 PM)

#7 | Back to Top08-16-2009 07:24:04 PM

Professor Plum
Touga Topper
Website

MissMocha wrote:

I doubt it'll be much, but storm apathy is, apparently a huge thing the Red Cross is trying to combat, so perhaps I should be a bit more concerned...? Eh.

As for our lovely mod-ess, unless that projection path is gonna hit Edmonton, I think she'll be safe.

There is another mod who lives in south Florida.

The good news is that Ana has been downgraded to a tropical depression.  Even more good news--while there are two more tropical storms out there, Bill and Claudette, both are predicted to miss her entirely.  Bill will hit the panhandle of Florida, while all the projections for Claudette show that it will not make landfall in North America, if at all.

#8 | Back to Top08-16-2009 10:30:59 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Professor Plum wrote:

Fortunately, it's not predicted to reach hurricane strength, but the track looks like it's headed directly for someone we all know and love.   Send good thoughts her way.

Emphasis mine.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#9 | Back to Top08-16-2009 11:13:07 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Professor Plum wrote:

The good news is that Ana has been downgraded to a tropical depression.  Even more good news--while there are two more tropical storms out there, Bill and Claudette, both are predicted to miss her entirely.  Bill will hit the panhandle of Florida, while all the projections for Claudette show that it will not make landfall in North America, if at all.

I think you got Bill and Claudette mixed up emot-smile  Anyway, I managed to not even notice this thread until now -- go me!

It looks like Ana is fairly likely to hit both my place and Gio's, but by then it'll be a "remnant low," which is what they call a raincloud that used to be a tropical storm.  Rain is good, so I'm looking forward to it.  Claudette has already missed both of us -- or more precisely, it gave us some weather, but that was before it became a tropical storm -- and it won't be a big deal in the Panhandle either.  Tropical storms don't cause major damage, they're just a short-term inconvenience.  Bill I'm more worried about -- they're saying it'll be at least Cat 3 -- but since it's going up the Atlantic coast per NHC forecasts, I'm not worried about myself and Gio; I'm more worried about folks like Hiraku and Archambeau and SexingTouga, who live in East Coast towns that aren't necessarily used to major storms.

#10 | Back to Top08-17-2009 07:42:28 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Mmm, Claudette looks like it's just going to turn into more pouring rain for us in the northeast as it swoops out into the Midwest and turns into a "normal" low pressure system.  Ana's probably going to do the same thing.  Bill, on the other hand... of course, all the most recent storms that turned up the coast dribbled out into a wimpy nor'easter by the time it got to Massachusetts.  Not that I'm saying we need a Hurricane Hazel or anything like that up here!  I just half-expect some storm nastiness in the next couple of years, just because the northeast hasn't really had an ass-kicking storm in a while.

#11 | Back to Top08-18-2009 08:04:04 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Just heard on NPR that they're expecting Bill to continue curving back to the east, in which case the U.S. coast is safe.  Dodged a bullet there if true; he looks like a nasty one.

#12 | Back to Top08-19-2009 07:52:59 AM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

i wouldn't speak so soon Satyr. Bill's grown to a category 4 hurricane and its path is slightly changed. now it looks like its gonna at the least "clip" the cape and and islands (possibly the Southcoast area of the MA/RI area too.)

Now im scared.

Last edited by KissingT.Kiryuu (08-19-2009 07:53:16 AM)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#13 | Back to Top08-19-2009 11:41:28 AM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

KissingT.Kiryuu wrote:

i wouldn't speak so soon Satyr. Bill's grown to a category 4 hurricane and its path is slightly changed. now it looks like its gonna at the least "clip" the cape and and islands (possibly the Southcoast area of the MA/RI area too.)

Wow, yeah, that's bad.  I certainly hope he doesn't come my/our way but I feel awful for anyone who would potentially get hit.

Now im scared.

I have to wait and see how this goes before I'm scared for myself, but I will be scared for whoever gets him.  That's horrible.

Board footer