This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-10-2012 10:00:07 PM

The Riddler
Saionji Slapper

[Riddler] Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy

Hail, enigmatists, and welcome to the first of my riddles!  I went and assembled this devious word menagerie for you, but I was worried it wasn't hard enough, so I invited Poison Ivy over to play with my clues.  Good luck countering the effects of her toxin.  Her touch may make plants grow, but it makes human beings and animals wither away!

http://ohtori.nu/Riddler/Poison_Ivy_Grid.png

1. Fuse metals with an iron
2. Prone to use force
3. Thing to launder, besides laundry
4. It might be hard, heavy, or holy
5. Not poetry
6. Redden awkwardly
7. Place to press Q or E in an FPS
8. One who puts a sword away
9. Fabric for retro jackets
10. Fighters at Notre Dame
11. Get off ___-free
12. Ostentatiously gay
13. Gazing, as at the sun
14. Workplace of Gertrude Stein or José Eber
15. Clutches or understands
16. Electrolyte component

#2 | Back to Top08-11-2012 09:30:43 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Re: [Riddler] Poison Ivy

I don't know the answers, but hopefully, some of the responses below are correct:

1. Alchemy
2. Coerce
11. Scott
14. France
16. Ions

#3 | Back to Top08-11-2012 09:46:35 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

1) solders (the tool used is a soldering iron)
3) money
4) water
11) probably scot (as in scot-free, but there's 5 letter boxes in the puzzle. Probably an error on The Riddler's part. If so, it casts doubt on the quality or accuracy of the others as well. I'm calling you out, Riddler. Your riddle is bad and you should feel bad.)

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#4 | Back to Top08-11-2012 10:58:35 AM

The Riddler
Saionji Slapper

Ha!  I don't make mistakes, Phoenix Down!  It is you who have failed to comprehend the brilliance of my riddle!  Your answers to 3 and 4 don't fit the boxes either.  Clearly you're on the wrong track.  Maybe you should give up now!

#5 | Back to Top08-11-2012 10:59:12 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Reveal yourself so I can punch you in the nose.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#6 | Back to Top08-11-2012 11:04:08 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I have no idea, but if he says we're on the wrong track, maybe we're on the right track...?

#7 | Back to Top08-11-2012 11:15:20 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

satyreyes wrote:

I have no idea, but if he says we're on the wrong track, maybe we're on the right track...?

Stuff like this is why I have no patience whatsoever for riddle-spewing ninnies who caper and prance about wearing their cleverness as if it were a fashionable cape. "La di dah look at me everyone, I am so clever!"

*spit*

#8 | Back to Top08-11-2012 03:06:15 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

11. Scott
15. Grasp

Also, it's not like you to let someone else tamper with your work. If you want it to be your crime, you should try restoring the original puzzle.

#9 | Back to Top08-11-2012 04:15:40 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Nothing like a riddle to draw me back from my summer lurking.

I can't say that I have a certain answer to any of the words yet, but I have some thoughts that might lead people with greater vocabulary than mine to the right track.

1. "Fusing" metals with iron is a tough one. What immediately comes to mind is a soldering iron, but the number of letters does not match. Another idea that I could come up with would be the creation of alloys, probably specific types, but my knowledge of metallurgy would fit in a thimble, so I can't say whether there's a word devoted to the process.

2. "Batman", ofcourse. emot-rolleyes Or "police". Although I suppose that the answer could also be an adjective, in the vein of "violent" or "aggressive", but with six letters.

3. Neither "money" nor "currency" fit, so I'm stumped. "Dollar" sounds pretty far-fetched.

5. If not poetry, than prose or play, mayhaps? Only "play" fits of the wo.

6. Any synonyms for blushing, people?

7. "Leaning". Not exactly a place, but "corner" doesn't fit.

8. Some sort of peacemaker? Again, synonyms.

9. "Wool".

14. One an art collector, another a hairstylist of all things. Both have written books, the latter has directer some videos. "Studio" would be the best bet, I suppose.

15. "Salt" or "acid".

The others have already been answered correctly to my knowledge, or I have nothing to contribute.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#10 | Back to Top08-11-2012 04:33:13 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

1. Welding (works/fits, but I like Nova's better)
7. Usekeys (best I got, there are plenty of good places in an fps to use a usekey XD)
15. Grasp

#11 | Back to Top08-11-2012 04:54:37 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Is ostentatiously gay fabulous?

The Riddler is quite fabulous. 

Also I feel there is something off about the board.  What is the point of a crossword with no crosses?  That and Riddler doesn't do simple questions, he specializes in brain teasers.  That comment of his on Poison's Ivy's toxin is no doubt littered with clues to some twist.  Mayhaps she added a word, one that fits into the 16 letter slot going across.  Is there any word that describes a toxin or chemical that helps plants grow but is poisonous or deadly to humans and animals?

EDIT:  Or, judging by his response to Nova (wrong track, right track, left and right), Posion's Ivy has flipped the numbers.  As in, the answer to 1 should be placed on 16 on the board, 2 on 15 and so on.  Does anything fit when it's looked at that way?

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (08-11-2012 05:04:26 PM)

#12 | Back to Top08-11-2012 05:13:22 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Also I feel there is something off about the board.  What is the point of a crossword with no crosses?  That and Riddler doesn't do simple questions, he specializes in brain teasers.  That comment of his on Poison's Ivy's toxin is no doubt littered with clues to some twist.  Mayhaps she added a word, one that fits into the 16 letter slot going across.  Is there any word that describes a toxin or chemical that helps plants grow but is poisonous or deadly to humans and animals?

EDIT:  Or, judging by his response to Nova (wrong track, right track, left and right), Posion's Ivy has flipped the numbers.  As in, the answer to 1 should be placed on 16 on the board, 2 on 15 and so on.  Does anything fit when it's looked at that way?

The Riddler wrote:

Hail, enigmatists, and welcome to the first of my riddles!  I went and assembled this devious word menagerie for you, but I was worried it wasn't hard enough, so I invited Poison Ivy over to play with my clues.  Good luck countering the effects of her toxin.  Her touch may make plants grow, but it makes human beings and animals wither away!

Agreed, something's wrong. Too many words have clear answers that don't fit the number of spaces. My guess is that plant-related words have an extra box, and human or animal-related words are short a box. If that's the case, another question would be whether that's a binary distinction, or whether some answers are unchanged.

Last edited by Dallbun (08-11-2012 05:13:45 PM)

#13 | Back to Top08-11-2012 05:20:57 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I considered that as well, but without clear answers to each question it's difficult to figure out which numbers would be plant or human/animal related, but without knowing which numbers are plant or human/animal related, it's difficult to figure out clear answers.

Also a synonym for blush is to bloom, for what that's worth.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (08-11-2012 05:29:39 PM)

#14 | Back to Top08-11-2012 05:34:10 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Also, 3 could possibly be credit.

#15 | Back to Top08-11-2012 05:43:08 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

So... maybe we find the spaces where the answers would fit? I noticed there is exactly one line that goes straight through the middle, that has to be the solved clue... or not. So maybe the answer to number 1 actually goes for box number 3

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#16 | Back to Top08-11-2012 05:56:13 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Hard, heavy or holy could be spirit.  Alcoholic or 'hard' spirits, a heavy spirit or the holy spirit. 

Notre Dame is a university with a football team known as the Fighting Irish.  Team?

Jesus is known for having told Peter to put his sword away.  Someone who puts away a sword may also be a victor or murderer of some sort, since the defeated may not be able to sheath their weapons, since dey is dead.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (08-11-2012 06:12:46 PM)

#17 | Back to Top08-11-2012 06:39:26 PM

The Riddler
Saionji Slapper

Nova wrote:

Stuff like this is why I have no patience whatsoever for riddle-spewing ninnies who caper and prance about wearing their cleverness as if it were a fashionable cape. "La di dah look at me everyone, I am so clever!"

*spit*

I'll choose to overlook the substance of that comment, seeing as we are still so early in the game.  But I can't tell you how much I agree about people with capes.  Blithering idiots, the lot of them.

#18 | Back to Top08-11-2012 07:28:25 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

The Riddler wrote:

But I can't tell you how much I agree about people with capes.  Blithering idiots, the lot of them.

You won't win my sympathy so easily.

#19 | Back to Top08-11-2012 09:10:13 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I think Dallbun might be right in that the number of spaces are wrong. What if we just ignore, for now, the spaces on the chart and find the most likely answer to each clue? We're sure to get some of them right, and from that we may be able to determine a pattern.

3.money
5.prose
6.blush
11.scot
15.grasps

I am teh suck at riddles, but I think we can agree on these as being most likely, and all of them are plus or minus one space.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#20 | Back to Top08-11-2012 10:41:09 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

3. Tenner
7.  Weapons?
I'm so not a gamer. :-/
11.  Fancy
Or maybe I'm the only one that uses the term 'get off fancy-free'
16. NaCl

Last edited by Iris (08-11-2012 10:51:00 PM)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#21 | Back to Top08-12-2012 02:41:21 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Crap! I'm utterly useless with riddles! Can't I just blow up Gotham city? poptart

I think for 7 that's when you strafe from side to side?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#22 | Back to Top08-12-2012 06:55:18 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Puzzles! Always compelling, where's the walkthrough? emot-aaa

1. solders*                                 Original: 7 letters     Suggested answer: 7 letters  (= )     
2. violent                                 Original: 6 letters     Suggested answer: 7 letters  (+1)     
3. money*                                 Original: 6 letters     Suggested answer: 5 letters  (-1)
4. water*                                 Original: 6 letters     Suggested answer: 5 letters  (-1)
5. prose                                 Original: 4 letters     Suggested answer: 5 letters (+1)
6. blush*                                 Original: 4 letters     Suggested answer: 5 letters  (+1)
7. strafe, execute, activate         Original: 7 letters     Suggested answer: 6,7,8 letters (-1,=,+1)
8. victor, winner, sheath         Original: 7 letters     Suggested answer: 6 letters (-1)
9. wool, lame`                         Original: 4 letters     Suggested answer: 4 letters (= )
10. Irish*                                 Original: 4 letters     Suggested answer: 5 letters (+1)
11. scot*                                 Original: 5 letters     Suggested answer: 4 letters (-1)
12. fabulous                         Original: 8 letters     Suggested answer: 8 letters (= )
13. staring                                 Original: 8 letters     Suggested answer: 7 letters (-1)
14. women                                 Original: 6 letters     Suggested answer: 5 letters (-1)
15. grasp*                                 Original: 5 letters     Suggested answer: 5 letters (= )
16. ions                             Original: 4 letters     Suggested answer: 4 letters (= )

*words I assume are as right as one can possibly assume without knowing much

Taking some guesses the across word/phrase could be…
I.V._.E.R.L.?.?.(C,O,E`).S.C.(A,S,_).G.N.A.S.
   ….which does not seem helpful.

But note, if “money” was inserted into 3 down, using a blank space at the start of the word – the first three letters of the ACROSS word would read “IVY”…assuming “violent” is correct for 2 down?!?

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#23 | Back to Top08-12-2012 09:23:12 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

"crosspollination" fits in the across space and is plant related.

#24 | Back to Top08-12-2012 09:43:17 AM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Sheath can be replaced by "scabbard," that's the wikipedia redirect.

"Crosspollination" also fits the theme, Ivy's interfering with a fellow villain's plan.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (08-12-2012 09:43:44 AM)

#25 | Back to Top08-12-2012 02:59:35 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Frosty, holy cow emot-aaa

That is a pretty compelling list.  The only thing is that there are a couple entries that don't seem to fit the Riddler's... uh, we could say OCD, but let's be nice and call it precision.  Like, look at #16.  The clue is "electrolyte component," which is singular.  The answer isn't going to be "ions," unless the Riddler is making mistakes after all.  But it might be "ion," which would be -1.  I have the same objection to #1 and #15.

Board footer