This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-12-2009 01:38:56 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Ultimate character songs

Do you have a song that you absolutely, 100% think is so appropriate for a SKU character you think it should be their theme song? To me it just isn't a matter of lyrics, its the tone and execution of the song, the beat, how its sung....Does anyone else do this?

As an example, I've got one for Ruka, but I'd love to see if we couldn't get a song or two for everyone.
And because I think the sound of the song is important too, here's a link where you should be able to find pretty much anything people post:

http://listen.grooveshark.com/

Here's the Ruka song, IMHO. It's not just the lyrics, its the strong beat, the low way she sings it, and the desperation in her voice, before she goes back into creepy low monotone. Very intense. Stalker-ish.

Number One Crush, by Garbage

I would die for you
I would die for you
I've been dying just to feel you by my side
To know that you're mine

I will cry for you
I will cry for you
I will wash away your pain with all my tears
And drown your fear

I will pray for you
I will pray for you
I will sell my soul for something pure and true
Someone like you

See your face every place that I walk in
Hear your voice every time that I'm talking
You will believe in me
And I will never be ignored

I will burn for you
Feel pain for you
I will twist the knife and bleed my aching heart
And tear it apart

I will lie for you
Beg and steal for you
I will crawl on hands and knees until you see
You're just like me

Violate all the love that I'm missing
Throw away all the pain that I'm living
You will believe in me
And I can never be ignored

I would die for you
I would kill for you
I will steal for you
I'd do time for you
I will wait for you
I'd make room for you
I'd sail ships for you
To be close to you
To be part of you
Cause I believe in you
I believe in you
I would die for you

Last edited by hollow_rose (02-12-2009 01:42:07 PM)

20 threads dead so far.

#2 | Back to Top02-12-2009 01:53:04 PM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Re: Ultimate character songs

Something special for Anthy

"Nymphomaniac Fantasia" (Angels Fall First), Nightwish. Vocal - Tarja Turunem

The scent of a woman was not mine...

Welcome home darling
Did you miss me?
Wish to dwell in dear love?

Touch my milklike skin
Feel the ocean
Lick my deepest
Hear the starry choir

Rip off this lace
That keeps me imprisoned
But beware of the enchantment
For my eroticism is oblivion

Old love lies deep you said
Deeper shall be the wound between your legs

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#3 | Back to Top02-12-2009 02:05:47 PM

BalamiyaVardihi
High Tripper

The Sound's "Queen of Apology" (the Fall Out Boy mix) has always reminded me of Juri.

Quick fix and heartbeats, gets me so easily
Now you got me on my knees
This will be the death to me
Tic tac, time goes by, hits me so suddenly
How you knock me off my feet
I'm the Queen of Apologies

Now I'm fighting this feeling
but it never stops, never stops
I'm still waiting
And I'm stuck with this feeling
will it ever stop, ever stop?
I keep trying

I blame no one, but myself
so honestly, is this how it's gonna be?
Tell me, who's the enemy?
Monkey on my back keeps me so desperatly
How you got me on my knees

So sick of this feeling
I'm still waiting
You see, I'm still shaking
And I'm fighting this feeling

I'm still waiting
I keep trying
I keep trying

Twirling round with this familiar parabol
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and
Celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing

#4 | Back to Top02-12-2009 02:37:49 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Utena's would totally be Cinderella by Sweetbox. On one hand she wants her Prince Charming. On the other she realizes it's pointless to stand by and wait to be rescued.

Cinderella, are you really that happy?
Cinderella, are you really that lucky?
I wanna know is your life like you dreamed?

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#5 | Back to Top11-21-2011 02:34:39 PM

Gainel
Rose Bride

I feel like Utena is the ultimate display of Evanescence-ness... Whenever I listen to one of their songs, I almost always end up thinking of a character in the show. (I've mentioned this on other threads, but not quite as extensively.)

What You Want - Anthy plz. Nearly all of the main characters end up using, abusing, or disregarding her at some point, but when it all comes down to it, each and every one of those characters is dependent on her for something. The one that comes to mind instantly would be Akio - he acts like the big boss and doesn't care about his sister at all, but without Anthy his whole scheme is essentially ruined, hence his efforts to keep her in the delusion of her coffin.

Sweet Sacrifice - I feel like Keiko and Nanami are frontrunners for this one... Nanami openly treats Keiko with disgust and condescension, and Keiko in turn hates Nanami's guts but sticks around so she can get closer to Touga. Their battle of bitchslaps and awful words forms itself into this.

Going Under: Anthy and Akio. I can't e'en describe how perfectly this fits them. Anthy is constantly sacrificing everything she has - including, ultimately, her friendship with Utena (or so she thinks) - for Akio. Yet, as shown in various little moments throughout the latter half of the show, he really does not care about her personally at all - he sees his little sister as a tool to be manipulated and used.

Bring Me To Life: Anthy again. I don't really think, if you've listened to the song, that there's much that I really need to explain here.

Weight of the World: I think Juri for this one. She has a continuous feeling of being lost and alone, trying to let go of her past but being entirely unable to do so because of Shiori - while forcing herself to hide all of this from everyone around her for the sake of appearances.

Lies - Shiori. Not only does she try to manipulate and eventually crush Juri, she is also always telling herself that she is not good enough. In fact, this could work for many of the Black Rose Duellists, but when I hear it I immediately think of Shiori.

Everybody's Fool - And again... *surprise* Anthy. I swear, she's like the poster child for Evanescence. Anyway, even though she appears omniscient and above everyone else (similarly to Akio) she has major problems, namely forcing her own helplessness on herself and living through her miserable life despite the fact that she could easily leave it if she chose (pointed out by her nonchalant abandonment of Akio in the last episode). She appears sweet, quiet, and perfect, but she is just as flawed as all the rest of the characters - perhaps even more so. When her mask is torn off, her real identity quickly comes into question.

And lastly, Lithium - once again, describing Anthy's vicious cycle of despair with Akio.

It might seem like I went a little overboard with this, haha. emot-biggrin I'm actually not as big of an Evanescence junkie as I probably look like - I just really think the band and the show fit together like wine and cheese. Think about my ideas! emot-keke

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it on a fruit salad.

Board footer