This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-15-2008 10:04:38 PM

Shiva Indis
Juri Jeerer

What Seazer Songs Are Older Than SKU?

Can someone tell me I'm not crazy for thinking that Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku was first used in a Shuji Terayama/J. A. Seazer production called Kaspar Hauser? Along with Fuuin Jubaku?

How about Last Evolution being from another show of theirs called Darwin? (How... cute.)

Japanese experimental theater isn't easy to research on the internet. Some 2chan kids say Missing Link is the only SKU original, but why am I giving credence to 2chan kids? emot-tongue

Last edited by Shiva Indis (10-15-2008 10:25:42 PM)

I am an actor cast eternally,                                    Armless, legless, still existing I am,   
The eternal me and the eternal stranger,                     I am all the mysteries in creation, 
Male/female, positive/negative are the two of me,                 My birth, the absolute birth,
Even light casts shadows, making a pair out of me and me,                I am disconnected,

#2 | Back to Top10-16-2008 12:34:01 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Re: What Seazer Songs Are Older Than SKU?

The very thought is... disturbing emot-gonk

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#3 | Back to Top10-16-2008 11:51:14 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

HAHA

I so know this.
But I have all my typed out crap on a different computer, so for now, I'll say what's off my head.

Actually, Missing Link was from Darwin too.
Angelic creation too, and a couple more.

Also, Gio, I was about to message you last night with this, but I'll say it here. I was checking out the Audiology, and it had lightbulb-style ammonite up. It was done in 84 I believe, at a festival by Banyu Inryoku. I think its one long presentation, not separate tracks. (IALSOHADMOSTITTRANSLATEDBUTTHENSOMEONEREFORMATTEDMYCOMPUTERWITHOUTASKINGRAGE)

I'm pretty sure Kaspar Hauser was done by Banyu Inryoku though. (for some reason I wanna say 95)
Seazer's Tenjo Sajiki stuff is quite different from his Banyu Iryoku though. When Terayama died in 83, he took the remaining troupe and made Banyuu Inryoku I believe. (Also, alot of Tenjou Sajiki isn't done by Seazer.)

The OST3 songs, with the exception of the two tracks that aren't from the show, are all original for the series.

And I don't have the booklet for OST7 to look through, so I don't feel comfortable saying anything about those at the moment. Though as of yet, I've never heard them anywhere else.

I'll go look through my stuff later maybe, but like, I just woke up, so you get this off the top of my head.

#4 | Back to Top10-16-2008 07:54:23 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Oh, and I left a present for you guys in a certain music thread in another forum.  It's quite relevant to this discussion.

[edit:] ...Why didn't I just edit this into my last post? Oh well.

Last edited by allegoriest (10-16-2008 07:55:59 PM)

#5 | Back to Top10-20-2008 07:04:31 PM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

See this thread: http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=789&p=2

Kaspar Hauser has "Absolute Destiny Apocalypse" and "Seal Spell" on it. 
Darwin has "Angelic Creation, Namely, Light," "Missing Link," "No One Has Anything to Tell," "Utopian Past-Tense Incantation," and "Last Evolution."
Denkyuushiki Ammonite has "Spira Mirabilis Theater" and "Paleozoic Within the Body." (This is currently available at Audiology as allegoriest says.)

The three works are by Banyu Inryoku. There are some works that I don't know the tracklists for, so I'm sure there might be others.

I was checking out the Audiology, and it had lightbulb-style ammonite up. It was done in 84 I believe, at a festival by Banyu Inryoku. I think its one long presentation, not separate tracks.

Yeah, that's the way I found it.  I think someone just chopped it into tracks for ease of listening.  Since it was originally on cassette there were no track distinctions.  But yeah, that's why there are no track titles I suppose.

And hey allegoriest, you could always try translating agaaiiin. Lyrics are herrreeee http://web.archive.org/web/200211152016 … tape_2.txt
You know you want to. For me (you)!

Last edited by mazoboom (10-20-2008 07:08:07 PM)

#6 | Back to Top10-20-2008 11:18:10 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I had most of it translated!! But no complete songs, so I never posted!

THEN SOMEONE REFORMATTED MY COMPUTER WITHOUT ASKING.

..I'm still angry, yes.

But after a while, I will try again, and thanks for lyrics, since I was currently WAY too lazy to search and wanted them again.

I have a list for everything somewhere, but I think its on another computer.
(I hope it is. emot-gonk )

#7 | Back to Top10-21-2008 02:18:28 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

GYAH

I just noticed a horrible typo. Lightbulb style ammonite was 94 not 84

whoops.

And I will allegoriest. Eventually.

#8 | Back to Top10-21-2008 08:22:23 PM

Shiva Indis
Juri Jeerer

Not long after starting this thread I knew allegoriest would know. Your blog precedes you. emot-biggrin I should have know better than to attach Terayama's name to any of these, but hey, it's confusing.

Anyway, after tearing down 2chan, I found a very convincing answer to my question there:

Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku ------------ Kaspar Hauser '95
When Where Who Which -------------- Kigajutsushi Requiem '94
Nikutai no Naka no Koseidai  --------- Denkyuushiki Ammonite '94
Spira Mirabilis Gekijou  ---------------- Denkyuushiki Ammonite '94
Tenshi Souzou Sunawachi Hikari  ----- Darwin '95
Last Evolution  -------------------------- Darwin '95
Fuuin Jubaku  -------------------------- Kaspar Hauser '95
Nanibito mo Kataru Koto Nashi ------- Darwin '95

Fujin Genkon Gattaijutsu ------------------- Hamlet '94
Kakuu Kakokei Majinai ---------------------- Darwin '95
Chikyuu wa Jinbutsu Chinretsushitsu  ----- Automatos no Hakobune '92
Ensuikei Zettairan Algebra  ---------------- BarbeQ Sauce '97
Seijuku Nenrei Toumeiki ------------------- Peststein '96
Gentouchouga Juuroku Seiki ------------- Hamlet '94

Watashi Kuusou Seimeitai ------------------ original
Virtual Star Hasseigaku --------------------- original
Heizoku Uchuu ni Fumetsu no Koutei ----- original
Tenshi Androgynous ------------------------ original
Watashi Banbutsu Hyakufushigi ---------- original
Tennen Douhou Kyuuden Enkinhou no Sho  ---- original
Guui Guuwa Guuest  ----------------------- original
Tainai Tokei Toshi Orrery  ---------------- original
Gertzen no Kubi  --------------------------  Peststein '96
Sakasama Boku to Boku no Heya  ------ BarbeQ Sauce '97
Missing Link  -------------------------------- Darwin '95

Correlates well with what we already know. My question now is what DIDN'T we hear out of Darwin?

Also, just for fun, Ban'yu Inryoku fliers: http://www.land-navi.com/backstage/tirasi/banyu.htm

Last edited by Shiva Indis (10-21-2008 08:35:14 PM)

I am an actor cast eternally,                                    Armless, legless, still existing I am,   
The eternal me and the eternal stranger,                     I am all the mysteries in creation, 
Male/female, positive/negative are the two of me,                 My birth, the absolute birth,
Even light casts shadows, making a pair out of me and me,                I am disconnected,

#9 | Back to Top10-21-2008 08:34:24 PM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

Shiva Indis wrote:

Correlates well with what we already know. My question now is what DIDN'T we hear out of Darwin?

Heh, if you're truly curious as to what we haven't heard, that same link I posted above also has the lyrics for the non-Utena songs in Darwin.

Its order is:

Angelic Creation, Namely, Light
"New" song that goes into
Another "new" song
Missing Link
No One Has Anything to Tell
Utopian Past-Tense Incantation
"New" song
Last Evolution

Presumably there are amazing instrumentals in between all that.

Your 2chan sources don't happen to have any recordings of anything besides Denkyuushiki Ammonite, do they?

#10 | Back to Top10-22-2008 01:05:24 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

NOOO
I DONT WANT TO READ KING LEAR WITHOUT THE MUSIC
DONT LET ME SEE THIS.

Daww, thankyou, but you flatter me~

...It's so sad that I already had every single one of those fliers saved, isn't it. emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk

I actually have an entire folder of just seazer related images.
Sub folders of him, banyu inryoku, tenjo sajiki, CDs, ticket stubs, fliers. It's terrible.
(I think my newest picture of Seazer is a week old. I might have issues.)

It's pathetic really. emot-gonk

I'm forced to think that songs didn't get titled until Utena, but that's completely me just never finding song titles for anything else ever.

See, unfortunately, it might be FOREVER until you see results from me. I'm a hideous translating perfectionist.

I'll quickly go through and do what I know off the top of my head, then take some time on a few lines. By then I usually have like 2/3 done, but then I'll have LINES FROM HELL that I'll mess around with forever and never like the way I write them out. Or I'll have ONE mysterious kanji I can't figure out for the life of me. Then, even worse, I'll have something like アウトマトス. Is this Automatose? Automatos? Automatosu? I won't put it down until I can find a damn good explanation of what it is. And seriously, that probably will never happen.

I just found it hilarious that the day you put this up, I was talking about this to Red Angel (the forum member I live with)

I think I ruined the last episode for her by telling her that Missing Link was from a musical called Darwin. She was like NOOOO but after I told her the other tracks, she thought it was hilarious. (missing link? angelic creation? last evolution? its so darwin-y.)

But yeah, chances are if they did it after 83, Terayama didn't have much to do with it, being dead and all. (They still apparently have a very strong connection to him though- I find some many things with his name and their group, and I think this past month, they were at a museum doing things at a Terayama exhibit.)

Gyah. I think I'm rambling now. I'll come back later.

#11 | Back to Top10-22-2008 03:59:27 AM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

Here's a cool little page. http://homepage1.nifty.com/mneko/play/H … nryoku.htm I think the guy is describing the play in a short paragraph. There's something for Ammonite too, if you want to see how the one we know goes.

allegoriest wrote:

Then, even worse, I'll have something like アウトマトス. Is this Automatose? Automatos? Automatosu? I won't put it down until I can find a damn good explanation of what it is. And seriously, that probably will never happen.

Psst, it's the katakana for αυτόματος which is the Greek word we get "automatic" from.

#12 | Back to Top10-22-2008 09:31:44 AM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

See, I knew only vaguely about Seazer's other work, so this is really interesting.  D: Where do you guys learn all this stuff? I feel really out of touch.

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#13 | Back to Top10-22-2008 11:57:35 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Because I loev Seazer. And I'm 98% sure that if he wasn't in Utena, I wouldn't be here either.

I sadly probably have more Seazer related songs from outside Utena. emot-gonk (Judging from what I've seen elsewhere, that's unheard of.)

But this is like, my happiness in life. I make it my business to know these things.

Actually emot-gonk
People IM me in broken English ALL the time asking me about Seazer/Terayama stuff. It's kinda creepy in this AWW I feel special way.
I'm kinda irked though that most of them seem to be Japanese. If I can find this stuff, they should more than be able to. emot-mad

#14 | Back to Top10-22-2008 11:58:44 AM

Shiva Indis
Juri Jeerer

allegoriest wrote:

NOOO
I DONT WANT TO READ KING LEAR WITHOUT THE MUSIC
DONT LET ME SEE THIS.

King Lear?  Like this King Lear? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwcIhOdMID8

Well, 10 mins of it anyway. Dialog at 4 mins, singing at 8 mins. It doesn't look like there's anything else out there though. Maybe I'll look more thoroughly after my meeting.

I need to look at this more closely anyway, the costuming looks awesome.

#15 | Back to Top10-22-2008 12:19:20 PM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

allegoriest wrote:

I'm kinda irked though that most of them seem to be Japanese. If I can find this stuff, they should more than be able to. emot-mad

You should make them buy you this:
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/mazoboom/inryoku002.jpg

Since, y'know, they're in Japan.

Baka Kakumei Reanna wrote:

See, I knew only vaguely about Seazer's other work, so this is really interesting.  D: Where do you guys learn all this stuff? I feel really out of touch.

I learned it a few years ago with lots of sifting through old Japanese websites, and Internet Archive versions of dead Japanese websites.  It's pretty annoying when you don't know much of the language.

Last edited by mazoboom (10-22-2008 12:22:25 PM)

#16 | Back to Top10-22-2008 12:21:41 PM

Red Angel
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

allegoriest wrote:

I was talking about this to Red Angel (the forum member I live with)

I think I ruined the last episode for her by telling her that Missing Link was from a musical called Darwin. She was like NOOOO but after I told her the other tracks, she thought it was hilarious. (missing link? angelic creation? last evolution? its so darwin-y.)

I'll have you know you completely ruined that for me. emot-mad

Now I can't help but laugh every time.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/cherry_whispers/signature.jpg

#17 | Back to Top10-22-2008 03:13:37 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Ahh, yeah, that would make sense. My ability to read Japanese is minimal. D:

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

Board footer