This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top12-13-2006 01:26:45 PM

Christi_Morelei
Touga Topper
Website

Re: Current Anime

Hina the Prince wrote:

Alexa, don't bother with the DGM anime. It's pure crap. I didn't like the manga that much either, but the anime butchered everything good in it.

I like it a lot, actually. The animation is good, the voice acting is good, the music is good... sure, it's different than the manga, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." - Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

#27 | Back to Top12-13-2006 04:00:01 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Alexa wrote:

Yeah, Code Geass has been fairly underwhelming so far.  Ghost Hunt is kind of interesting, but nothing I like enough to get DVDs of or whatever.

And okay, I was watching Simoun and I really liked it, but for some reason I can no longer find any subs?

The show has a pretty shoddy fansub job, but there are still wowo's speedsubs on tokyotosho and those are actually pretty good.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#28 | Back to Top12-13-2006 04:16:03 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

#29 | Back to Top12-14-2006 04:36:01 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

#30 | Back to Top12-14-2006 07:29:29 AM

Christi_Morelei
Touga Topper
Website

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." - Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

#31 | Back to Top12-14-2006 09:00:30 AM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

I just finished watching Princess Tutu a couple weeks ago. Absolutely loved it.

My friend's making me watch Ouran Host Club right now.

#32 | Back to Top12-14-2006 09:39:51 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

#33 | Back to Top12-14-2006 02:53:28 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

The links do not work either way. ;(

#34 | Back to Top12-23-2006 09:20:10 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

Currently watching and suggest.  Well it goes beyond saying that the Deathnote anime is good.  D. Gray-man... I'm a huge fan of the manga but the anime is under-whelming so far.  But Lavi appeared in episode 12 so maybe there's hope for the Crowley arc.  I'm also interested in Pumpkin Scissors and Red Garden lately... Le Chevalier d'Eon is also quite an interesting looking series thus far... mmm pseudo-French history. emot-tongue  Also into Ergo Proxy... finished Noein a few months ago and LOVE that series (it's like Escaflowne with quantum physics X_x)

My scanlation downloads are completely consistant: Eyeshield 21, D. Gray-man, Bleach, Naruto, Gintama. etc-love

Last edited by Scortia (12-23-2006 09:33:25 PM)

#35 | Back to Top12-23-2006 09:29:54 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Currently?

NANA- I'm a big Parakiss fan, but NANA is so much more moving. For me anyway. It's quite relatable, whoever you are. While because of how I look, people assume that I would be a big Nana Osaki fan, and while I do love her, Hachi is my favorite of the Nanas. Shin is also sex on legs.etc-love

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#36 | Back to Top12-23-2006 10:31:27 PM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

So I just found out that the Death Note anime is out.  I suppose having a 28k-comparable connection at school does that to me.  Downloading it now.

Since I've been home on break, I've been rewatching Fushigi Yuugi for nostalgia's sake, and Youtube-ing Maria-sama ga Miteru.  I'm quite enjoying Marimite -- it's a less-depressing Oniisama E -- and Fushigi Yuugi has a spot in my heart, "Miaka!  Tamahome!" volleys aside.

#37 | Back to Top12-23-2006 10:59:56 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Hay Archambeau. Have you seen Saiunkoku Monogatari yet? It's perty popular these days and my first impressions of it was that it reaked of FY.  They're different enough not to get boring, though. They do seem to have that vague "Chinese-esque maleharem with a bunch of girlymen" vibe to them both.

Oh, and Chevalier is pretty terrific. I got frustrated with the fansubbing but I'm going to try to get back in now that I have some free time.

#38 | Back to Top12-23-2006 11:10:22 PM

Archambeau

I haven't heard of it, no.  I'm not a fan of harem anime, honestly -- Fushigi Yuugi is just sort of comforting in that it was one of my earliest favorites.

What is Chevalier about?

#39 | Back to Top12-24-2006 08:20:31 AM

Scortia
Rose Bride

Archambeau:  Have you seen Juuni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms)?  It has a similar premise to Fushigi Yuugi but without all the annoyance of Miaka... it's a fantasy as well but it focuses more on politics than on romance (romance, what romance?). 

I need to look up Marimite now, because I am a HUGE fan of Oniisama E.  Oh St. Juste-sama. emot-rolleyes

#40 | Back to Top12-24-2006 09:46:17 AM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Marimite kicks tons of ass.

I've gone back to watching all the old, unlicensed Gundam series again - currently slogging my way through Gundam X and Turn A Gundam, although Gundam Victory is in the queue. Gundam X has kinda not-so-hot animation (unsuprisingly - I'm trying to think of when any Gundam series has had good animation - at least, up until 1999, there was no such thing!), but the story and the characters make up for it. Its basically a "what-if" series, as in, what if they had actually dropped the colonies in Gundam Wing.

Turn A Gundam was supposed to tie together all the Gundam series ever into one timeline - I haven't finished it yet, so I'll have to get to you on how effectively it was done. It has suprisingly good animation for a Gundam series. It takes place in a future world which has reverted to early 20th century technology - well, besides the mechas running around. In it, there is a race of people living on the Moon, and they are finally returning to Earth after thousands of years away. They have tons of technology, and the people of Earth have completely forgotten they even existed - so, of course, the Moonrace is planning to invade and take over. It has an interesting "clash of the cultures" sort of thing going on.

It's funny, I adore the Gundam series that really diehard fans seem to ignore - X and Turn A are my favorite series, but for some reason everyone else seems to dislike them.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#41 | Back to Top12-24-2006 01:08:03 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Archambeau wrote:

I haven't heard of it, no.  I'm not a fan of harem anime, honestly -- Fushigi Yuugi is just sort of comforting in that it was one of my earliest favorites.

What is Chevalier about?

It's not really harem in the Tenchi sense. It's more harem in the "one member of one gender being surrounded by fifty members of another gender" sense.

I'm still kind of in the esposition phase of Chevalier, but it's set in pre-revolution France, from what I've gotten so far the main character is a high-ranking law officer who's sister was murdered with the world PSALMS carved on her head. Last I saw he was getting posessed by his sister and fighting one of his comrades that turned into a demon/monster.

I suck at explainig things. It's basically a lot better than I described.

#42 | Back to Top12-24-2006 02:32:38 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Let me give someone else's take on Chevalier d'Eon:

"Production I.G. and Gonzo co-production about cross-dressing chevalier on the eve of the French Revolution versus the Comte St. Germain and zombies.

And magic swords from crosses.

In Arcadia Et Ego, baby."

I liked that descrip. Enough to decide to buy it sight unseen when it's licensed. emot-biggrin

#43 | Back to Top12-24-2006 06:30:03 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I haven't seen anyone crossdress yet:(

#44 | Back to Top12-24-2006 08:24:04 PM

A Day Without Me

It's actually based in fact, y'know.

#45 | Back to Top12-24-2006 08:32:04 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Well the fact that there was a transsexual who was a member of the French secret police is a fact.

Said person being possessed by his sister and fighting zombies, however, isn't.

(my point is that I don't think they're doing to really dive too deep into the TS thing. ;/ I think they've replaced it with soemfing else. This is an historical account in the same sense Rose of Versailles is. D: )

Last edited by Hinotori (12-24-2006 08:32:54 PM)

#46 | Back to Top12-24-2006 08:46:11 PM

Starshine
New Student

I recommend "Mermaid Forest" But prefer the OAV (Which I'm still trying to figure out if it's on DVD or not) to the later series...but it has it's positive points also.

As for current anime...well, I just got the last of the Cowboy Bebop REMIX DVD's...and have been recently exposed to the hentai "La Blue Girl" (don't know it's original title) which I think is absolutely hilarious.

#47 | Back to Top12-24-2006 08:52:28 PM

A Day Without Me

Hinotori wrote:

Well the fact that there was a transsexual who was a member of the French secret police is a fact.

Said person being possessed by his sister and fighting zombies, however, isn't.

Well, hence my saying "based".

#48 | Back to Top12-24-2006 10:42:02 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Honestly, I'm still catching up to old stuff. I managed to find both DVD sets of Devil Hunter Yohko recently, not long after I found the first set of New Cutey Honey episodes. I'm rewatching all of the Slayers OAV's and movies, but I'm missing Slayers Excellent from my collection. Also when I get the cash, I'm buying the Wedding Peach second DVD set. The newest things I've watched that weren't on Cartoon Network are Kannazuki no Miko, Cromartie High School, and Azumanga Daioh.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#49 | Back to Top12-25-2006 01:42:10 AM

Archambeau

Scortia wrote:

Archambeau:  Have you seen Juuni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms)?  It has a similar premise to Fushigi Yuugi but without all the annoyance of Miaka... it's a fantasy as well but it focuses more on politics than on romance (romance, what romance?). 

I need to look up Marimite now, because I am a HUGE fan of Oniisama E.  Oh St. Juste-sama. emot-rolleyes

I've heard of Juuni Kokki, but I have not seen it.  I'll keep it in mind.

Always nice to find another Oniisama E fan.  And Oh Saint-Juste indeed.  Does anyone know if higher-quality subs have been released?  I don't mind the TechnoGirls' translation, but the font is obnoxiously large and the video quality a bit lacking.

#50 | Back to Top12-25-2006 02:09:46 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Yay Saint-Juste fans here. I'm pretty nuts about Mariko, too. o: Oniisama E (and Riyoko in general) is my answer to the chick flick. Whenever I'm feeling incredibly down I end up watching it, and it never fails to shake me up.

My copy is Technogirls so I don't know. It hasn't been licensed in English and I don't think any fansubbers have taken it up since.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm also watching the MariMite OVA right now, but I have a hard time feeling the same way about MariMite/Stopani as I did about OE. Especially Marimite. It's a cute story though. I usually don't pay much attention to voice acting but I'm getting a little annoyed with this. Shimako has a very good voice actress with a pretty unique sound and all the other VAs seem to be trying to emulate her signature breathyness this time around. It's pretty when it's one character in 30% of the anime I watch and I'm a big fan of hers, but hearing the other's force it is getting on my last nerve.

Last edited by Hinotori (12-25-2006 02:20:11 AM)

Board footer