This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top07-31-2012 11:32:57 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Re: What is everyone's ideal form of government?

An addendum.

Regarding the infamous Bell Curve, the test that was used by Charles Murray to prove that intelligence followed a bell curve produced results that did not justify that hypothesis. The bell curve implies that there is a very small minority of geniuses who must rule over all society. Instead of a bell curve distribution, however, the test showed that most people scored very high on this test with a slight "dip" at the end. He had to really narrow the last few categories to make the exam look like a bell curve distribution.

A general principle you can take from this is that most IQ tests are bullshit because either

A. They're arbitrary, in the case of a lot of analogy/pattern recognition problems

or

B. They're basically tests for middle class ethics/basic knowledge, like the SAT, which tests for grammar and basic algebra and therefore can not be used to test for genius and higher order thought. They're like literacy exams, they test whether or not people meet minimum standards and nothing more. To use them as a "genius" test and not an "idiot" test is like saying that being able to count to 10 faster than other people makes you a great physicist.

This is coming from someone who regularly scores very highly on these tests.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (07-31-2012 11:35:13 PM)

#52 | Back to Top08-01-2012 12:15:49 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Morgus, I'm leaving for RoseCon tomorrow; neither I nor the other mods will be on the forum much until next Tuesday.  Now, you've just made a post about The Bell Curve, one of the most controversial books of our time, and you've somehow parlayed that into suggesting that people who score low on IQ tests are idiots.  I implore you, for the next week or so, will you please try especially hard not to be tactless and offensive?

#53 | Back to Top08-01-2012 07:21:34 AM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

They're not especially good "idiot" tests, either. A better testing format would be to provide a selection of tests that can indicate high int and allowing people in if they can pass if they can succeed at x% of them. Kind of like Mensa, but with tests of ingenuity rather than classification. Like if you perform some kind of feat, you're in.

#54 | Back to Top08-08-2012 09:59:44 AM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Here's a document expressing many of my opinions. I might not necessarily agree with some of their specific prescriptions, but their taxonomy of human instincts and philosophy is worth looking into, IMO.

http://ia600301.us.archive.org/35/items … ytrich.pdf

#55 | Back to Top08-08-2012 10:14:58 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

tl;dr

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#56 | Back to Top08-08-2012 03:15:43 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

He believes that humanity is driven by 4 urges: the urge to survive and reproduce, the urge to create, the urge to control, and the urge to take through cunning. In the current stage, cunning dominates by means of property law and the "sorcery" of modern finance. He likens capitalism to a pre-Christian theocracy which dominates the public by means of arcane, fundamentally meaningless rituals and symbols. Although this is somewhat outdated; the parasitic dominion of cunning has, in the modern era, expanded to include politics, both "left" and "right" wing, and the media. The other three urges, however, are not necessarily superior. The urge to create, that is to fabricate, is generally too specific to encompass the complexity of human existence and will generally result in a debased existence if allowed to run "free." A world dominated by the urge to control, such as the old European monarchies, is basically a brute autocracy without purpose. And finally, a world dominated by the urge to survive and procreate, that is, blind herd instinct and the free reign of bodily urges and immediacy, is basically prehistoric society, the dominance of the "man with a club."

He proposes that human society should be dominated by a fifth primal urge, the urge to understand. In his mind, human curiosity forgoes the nonsense and stagnation that's characteristic of the other four urges while taking care of human needs, and he believes that it is strong enough to subjugate the other four urges without destroying them completely, as all four are needed to survive. In his mind, this urge is both purposeful, like the urge to create, and adaptive, like the urge to survive and the urge to steal while being socially acceptable even in the extreme case.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (08-08-2012 03:43:32 PM)

#57 | Back to Top08-17-2012 10:36:42 AM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

It seems to me that leftism arises from a desire to live like the privileged and the rich, which inevitably conflicts with the loose talk of "equality" that always accompanies it. As such, its behavior is almost always imitative, as imitation is its fundamental cultural logic. At least the right's despotism is more honest.

#58 | Back to Top08-17-2012 11:38:42 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Who are you talking to?

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#59 | Back to Top08-17-2012 01:59:49 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

:waves magnanimously: The people!

#60 | Back to Top10-28-2012 08:31:53 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

This is a good start. It's probably not perfect, but pretty much anything is more logical than our current financial regime.

http://technocracy.org/transition/banki … ialbrief29

#61 | Back to Top10-28-2012 09:31:17 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Difference between an ideal government and an ideal society.  I can imagine an ideal society, a personally subjective ideal society, mind.  But nothing, not even even an ideal government, is going to make a society ideal, even the kind of ideal my limited perspective dreams of.  The best an ideal government can do is account for what makes its society less than ideal, but have fun doing that completely short of denying certain rights or intellectual freedoms, as we humans, we love to err.  To defy.  To fuck up and do the wrong thing and disagree with one another, and so much of what ails us has nothing to do with laws written in books, but countless environmental and individual and psychological and internal and external and intangible factors... there is no singular, fool proof way to proactively control for all of it. 

The catch is that an imperfect society isn't necessarily likely to create a perfect government.

So I don't shoot for ideal.  I shoot for what can be done for the better, at the time and with the resources and knowledge present, and its a better defined by more than just my own needs, wants and experience.

Or my ideal government would spend all military funding on ways to make periods not exist ever.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (10-28-2012 09:37:39 PM)

#62 | Back to Top10-28-2012 10:16:23 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

And in my view, an ideal society isn't likely to need much of a government at all. And an ideal society requires ideal people. It's like in the book version of No Country for Old Men, it's very easy to govern good people, but governing bad people is basically impossible.

#63 | Back to Top10-29-2012 12:11:19 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

An ideal society may still need some form of organization, or some way of streamlining and checking/regulating boring, paper-work involved aspects of their lives and unifying people across distances for the purposes of trade and so on and so blah blah, which are also things governments help facilitate.  Governments are not simply means of controlling deviancy, so I'd almost argue that governments are an inseparable part of any larger, collected and identified society.  They just vary in degrees of formality, power and structure.   Is that what a government is, at its core, an agreed upon form of social organization, granted the powers and abilities to guarantee said organization?

Hrm, is a society defined by the fact that it is governed?  Does the social contract imply as much? 

Actually this is kinda derailing.  :B Sorry.

( And you can govern bad people with enough power, you just can't force them into being genuinely good people.)

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (10-29-2012 12:12:44 AM)

#64 | Back to Top11-01-2012 09:09:26 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

The most ideal control system is one in which the environment variable stays within parameters without the intervention of a control variable. This is also the most difficult kind of control system to study.

#65 | Back to Top12-03-2012 04:46:07 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

I think... that the evils of society arise not from any specific behavior, but from an inability to live and let live, to tolerate any group or individual who would dare maintain a separate existence.

#66 | Back to Top12-03-2012 07:03:33 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

I started making a post about how democracy is overrated, but it ended up coming off way to much as an anti-democratic rant. So scratch it, and I'll just say it's overrated, is as abusable as any other form of government, and the national will can often be very morally questionable and troublesome when it's actually enforced (as was the case after the French Revolution and many present and past religious-sect quarrels, among other things). The larger the nation becomes, the more sub-cultures it starts to incorporate, and the more vulnerable these sub-cultures become to the majority if adequate safe-guards aren't implemented and perpetually maintained. Implementing those in the first place isn't all that easy, but ensuring that they get maintained over decades, centuries, or more as people try to circumvent them or tear them down is the real difficulty. Democracy also lends itself to uninformed decision making, obstructionism, and factionalism.

These latter points can be great though, despite also being frustrating and problematic.

A government should be able to provide certain services. Education, infrastructure, etc. These things are (almost) universally desired, although the methods of desired implementation certainly vary. So by having a government that lends itself to obstructionism and factionalism we're able to get the big picture stuff done, even if we don't do it all that well all of the time. The small picture stuff, that would either make thing work wonderfully or ruin them completely depending on your view, facts, or the situation, often doesn't get sufficiently acted on to ever become truly problematic to anyone.

In short, you can make a case that the least functional democracy is the best democracy, and that it's better than many alternative forms of government because - while they might work much better ideally - the other forms are ultimately more open to abuse by individuals, groups, or sects. I'd go so far as to at least ponder the suggestion that the "best" democracies might end up not remaining democracies, but would transfer into other forms of government instead, which might then spiral into something far worse.

But that said, I think democracy is open to enough problems that it's certainly not undeniably the number one type of government. As such, I don't think we have any business forcefully spreading it (or using soft-power to spread it instead). That is, any moral business. Whether it's in our national interest to spread our type of government - forcefully or otherwise - is an entirely different question.

Further Edit: Gio's page one Civ based point of "they all have merits" is probably the best and shortest answer.

Last edited by Valeli (12-03-2012 07:35:27 PM)

Board footer