This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-30-2011 02:16:49 AM

Priscilla
Saionji Slapper

Where the hell are the parents?

So, am I to assume that anyone whose parents aren't mentioned is an orphan?

I mean, wouldn't most parents be at least involved in their kid's life, even while they're in boarding school? Or is every parent in this series just completely irresponsible?

#2 | Back to Top03-30-2011 02:36:20 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Re: Where the hell are the parents?

Nah, it doesn't seem that weird. We don't see the characters check in with their parents any more than we see them eat lunch. I'd imagine that Juri dutifully calls her parents and sister regularly, and exchanges pleasantries. Saionji, on the other hand, probably hates his family. He certainly doesn't seem to be willing to call them for help when he's expelled. (I wonder if he even told them?)

We could extrapolate that anime Utena, like manga Utena, grew up with a cool aunt or some other relative, but that part of the manga really didn't add anything to the story, and would be even more out of place in the anime. Wakaba talks about her mom, Kanae has a wonderful, loving mother, and the other minor characters probably have the normal array of parental relationships, too. And Nameless Protagonist from the game has parents that have a role in the story. (Teaching us that you really, really don't want your parents to have anything to do with Ohtori.)

Miki and Touga are the only ones who have houses near campus. I expect that Touga and Nanami's parents are technically around, just... er... hands-off (read: completely irresponsible, and possibly in Europe most of the time). Miki and Kozue's parents also clearly aren't living with them, which does seem odd. (But Miki's so responsible... he'll take care of his sister!)

#3 | Back to Top03-30-2011 10:55:28 AM

Priscilla
Saionji Slapper

Dallbun wrote:

Kanae has a wonderful, loving mother

emot-confused

#4 | Back to Top03-30-2011 11:15:16 AM

innermuse
Anthy Assailer
Website

pfft, come on guys they are all in neverland no parents there. Remember think happy thoughts ( flies off with fantastic sparkles)

#5 | Back to Top03-30-2011 04:39:49 PM

Dallbun

Priscilla wrote:

emot-confused

Just kidding. emot-tongue

#6 | Back to Top03-30-2011 06:12:19 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

It's a boarding school. The point of those usually is to have no direct contact with the parents for extended periods of time. Besides, most parents that we hear from in the series are either dead or neglectful.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#7 | Back to Top03-31-2011 07:06:17 AM

CoffinBreaker
Rose Bride

Is that a muffled trombone I hear?

You don't need to understand Revolutionary Girl Utena to understand it.

#8 | Back to Top04-02-2011 10:04:24 PM

Cyrias
Tenjou Tilter

Possibly a muffled trombone, that or maybe shifty Akio 'imprisoned' the students in the boarding school world of Ohtori so that they can have minimal contact with their parents, for their good 'cause' and so that he can maintain their 'projector' illusion of order and sanity, and anyway who would expect their child's boarding school to have a duelling arena? xD

In lumine tuo, videbimus amor ('In your light, we shall love') Slippy slippery mambo~ everyone at Ohtori is in some kind of spiritual land, created by Goddess Anthy and her brother Akio?!

#9 | Back to Top04-02-2011 10:26:01 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

FORGET YOUR PARENTS.  AKIO IS YOUR DADDY NOW.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (04-03-2011 11:33:58 PM)

#10 | Back to Top04-02-2011 11:15:35 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm guessing if it works like a lot of private schools do, the parents of the particularly wealthy students associate closely with the board of the school. Which is to say, Akio, or someone working under him. It's all very money-changing-hands snobby and ridiculous. I can see parents not knowing what the hell to do when they walk into Akio's office expecting a gut-wrenching financial squeeze and ending up with a hand in their pants and their checkbooks out. school-freud

The parents are nowhere to be seen because that's a very common thing among the stupidly rich. In The Addams Family, Gomez at one points says something like 'I hope someday you know the joy of having children...and paying someone else to raise them.' I know, stupid movie, but that pretty cleanly sums up a way the wealthy approach childrearing.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#11 | Back to Top04-03-2011 11:34:19 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

He totally misses all your baseball games, though.

#12 | Back to Top04-03-2011 11:53:27 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

...well he is basically a Peter Pan.

I just hope to god Robin Williams isn't going to play him.

...too obscure? emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#13 | Back to Top04-04-2011 03:03:03 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

...too obscure? emot-frown

Not obscure enough. That mental image has just blinded and irretrievably traumatised me. emot-gonk

#14 | Back to Top04-04-2011 04:27:13 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Giovanna wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I wanna go live with mom.  emot-gonk

#15 | Back to Top04-08-2011 04:40:44 PM

J-Syxx
Banned

I think parents being involved would have muddled the themes.  There was obvious an effort to make it seem like they didn't even exist.  Like with the whole episode with Miki and Kozue's parents, they didn't even appear on screen, and there was the odd thing with Anthy.  There is also the fact that Utena is an orphan.  I think in the end, Akio is supposed to reprsent the totality of "adulthood," as well as the patriarchy, so including other actual authority figures in there is going to kind of mess that up a bit.

I would have to guess though if they were involved, it would lead to even more incest themes being thrown in there, hilariously.

#16 | Back to Top04-08-2011 07:24:16 PM

Dallbun

J-Syxx wrote:

I think in the end, Akio is supposed to reprsent the totality of "adulthood," as well as the patriarchy, so including other actual authority figures in there is going to kind of mess that up a bit.

Well, we do see other authority figures, in the form of the teachers and Mrs. Ohtori... and they all completely fall over Akio, in awe of him, his charisma, and his temporal power. But I see what you're saying... Akio definitely represents "adulthood," and the creators were definitely careful not to have too many other adults running around to muddle the thematic waters. emot-smile

I would have to guess though if they were involved, it would lead to even more incest themes being thrown in there, hilariously.

No doubt! emot-gonk

#17 | Back to Top04-08-2011 07:35:53 PM

J-Syxx
Banned

Well, we do see other authority figures, in the form of the teachers and Mrs. Ohtori... and they all completely fall over Akio, in awe of him, his charisma, and his temporal power. But I see what you're saying... Akio definitely represents "adulthood," and the creators were definitely careful not to have too many other adults running around to muddle the thematic waters.

Yeah, that's what I meant.  Like the head mistress is a joke.  If there was actually another adult that exerted their will in the story, I think that would mess up the themes.  It's only the youths who are truly indpendent.  Everyone else is too busy worshiping the giant phallus that is Akio to do anything but be controlled by him.

#18 | Back to Top04-08-2011 08:07:45 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Dallbun wrote:

Well, we do see other authority figures, in the form of the teachers and Mrs. Ohtori... and they all completely fall over Akio, in awe of him, his charisma, and his temporal power. But I see what you're saying... Akio definitely represents "adulthood," and the creators were definitely careful not to have too many other adults running around to muddle the thematic waters. emot-smile
:

And even when they do show up, they're similarly debauched and miserable representations of immorality. The teachers are trying to bang the students, Mrs. Ohtori is banging her future son-in-law, Miki's father is banging...well god only knows what he thinks he's banging. emot-gonk

#19 | Back to Top04-09-2011 06:25:27 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Giovanna wrote:

And even when they do show up, they're similarly debauched and miserable representations of immorality. The teachers are trying to bang the students, Mrs. Ohtori is banging her future son-in-law, Miki's father is banging...well god only knows what he thinks he's banging. emot-gonk

For completeness' sake, lets not forget how the scary bondage teacher wants to bang the vice-principal. emot-wink

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#20 | Back to Top04-10-2011 08:28:55 PM

Cyrias
Tenjou Tilter

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

FORGET YOUR PARENTS- AKIO IS YOUR DADDY NOW.

Is that bad that I want this to be our Utena meme? emot-rofl and etc-wankdude at this.

In lumine tuo, videbimus amor ('In your light, we shall love') Slippy slippery mambo~ everyone at Ohtori is in some kind of spiritual land, created by Goddess Anthy and her brother Akio?!

#21 | Back to Top04-11-2011 08:37:25 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Dallbun wrote:

Miki and Touga are the only ones who have houses near campus. I expect that Touga and Nanami's parents are technically around, just... er... hands-off (read: completely irresponsible, and possibly in Europe most of the time).

I always thought they just had an elaborate wing all to theirselves like Utena and Anthy since he was the president. emot-redface

I’d like to know more about Touga and Nanami’s parents, though. There are implications that they are neglectful because she relies on him for protection and security.  Forget brother issues. Nanami has daddy issues.

Plus I wonder if their parents ever discovered that Touga lied about his adoption or why she didn’t call them and ask them about it. Hmm.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#22 | Back to Top05-03-2011 09:40:56 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

You know how people always say that TV raises people's kids for them, and how we've all kind of agreed that Akio is their surrogate parent? That lends more credence to my theory that he's an author avatar of Ikuhara himself. And in the post-Internet age, that function is now served by forum moderators who name their forum after fictional surrogate parents. emot-smile

And you know what? Maybe in their world what sets a child from an adult isn't necessarily the level of maturity, since we've seen Akio manipulate adults every bit as easily as he manipulates the kids, but that whether or not the person in question has given up on his/her dreams, whether or not their purity is compromised.

parent, v: to link one's emotional state to that of a child.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (05-03-2011 10:04:49 PM)

Board footer