This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-31-2007 09:53:09 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Concerts

Well, yesterday i went with my mother and my sister to the Shakira concert. Yes i know Shakira is not something to be proud of emot-mad but she was part of my childhood and i couldn't miss her.... and it was VIP places, for FREE D: (my mother's boyfriend is kind with us). I'm not going to apologize for it.

This is the list of concerts i've gone, and how expensive they were: Evanescence (Madrid, around 50€), HIM (Granada, free concert), Shakira (Granada, 60€), Molotov (Granada, 20€), Muchachito Bombo Infierno (Granada, 20€), The Chemical Brothers (Granada, 40€), Jamiroquai (Barcelona, festival, 50€), Red Hot Chili Peppers (Madrid, 40€), Placebo (Ireland, festival, don't know exactly... it was an invitation), Gorillaz (Mex DF, invitation).

I guess, over there, are more cheap.

#2 | Back to Top03-31-2007 11:33:15 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Re: Concerts

Next month Susan and I are planning on going to see Hellogoodbye and Say Anything, and we may go see Snow Patrol tomorrow (probably not, though...). And we're definately planning on going to Warped Tour. etc-love

#3 | Back to Top03-31-2007 01:02:15 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I am desperately looking forward to the concert I have tickets for in June -- Muse at Parc des Princes in Paris. emot-dance I'm actually seeing them at Wembley the week before anyway -- and I saw them in Sheffield in November -- but they tend to play my favourite live song (Showbiz) ONLY in Paris. And so, I -- the little southern hick from the New Zealand city closest to Antartica -- am going to goddamned Paris to hear it. etc-love

I also get to see Modest Mouse in May. I can only hope and pray they play me Bukowski. emot-biggrin At any rate, the best concerts I have seen are Sarah McLachlan (OMFG THAT WAS GREAT) and the Finn brothers. Although the latter probably only appeal to New Zealanders, because we're nostalgic buggers. emot-rolleyes

Last edited by Clarice (03-31-2007 01:02:59 PM)

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#4 | Back to Top03-31-2007 01:06:00 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I've only been to Within Temptation's concerts. >You can blame my friend who's a big fan of them (and made me a fan too). One of the concerts was in Sweden and the other in Finland, they're quite good at live performance. Especially now, 'cause they quality of their music has improved a lot over time, just compare their live performances from 5+ years ago to the newer ones.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#5 | Back to Top03-31-2007 01:30:29 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Epi_lepsia wrote:

Well, yesterday i went with my mother and my sister to the Shakira concert. Yes i know Shakira is not something to be proud of emot-mad but she was part of my childhood and i couldn't miss her.... and it was VIP places, for FREE D: (my mother's boyfriend is kind with us). I'm not going to apologize for it.

This is the list of concerts i've gone, and how expensive they were: Evanescence (Madrid, around 50€), HIM (Granada, free concert), Shakira (Granada, 60€), Molotov (Granada, 20€), Muchachito Bombo Infierno (Granada, 20€), The Chemical Brothers (Granada, 40€), Jamiroquai (Barcelona, festival, 50€), Red Hot Chili Peppers (Madrid, 40€), Placebo (Ireland, festival, don't know exactly... it was an invitation), Gorillaz (Mex DF, invitation).

I guess, over there, are more cheap.

I am proud of the old Shakira, before she started to construct her international fame only in her hips, never had see her in concert though.

The last concert I was, it was the "live n' louder" past october, it was expensive(60 dollars more or less general price, no seats) but it was awesome because I saw Sepultura, After Forever, Doro and Stratovarious) before that it was the Apocalyptica one 2 years ago. And the Juanes one in my hometown. I haven't gone to much concerts.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#6 | Back to Top03-31-2007 02:06:04 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I haven't been to a concert in years!

I've been to Jazzfest and Voodoo Music Festival in New Orleans at least twice, but the last time was 4 years ago. Our university would have at least one major concert every year. I've also gone to assorted bars to watch bands, primarily local ones. And then there was the one time I went to Ozzfest. I also saw Cher's farewell tour, on the first run, and I still can't figure out why the hell she came to Shreveport. I tried to go to Big Day Out in Atlanta once, but that was made of epic fail.

But I haven't been to a concert in over 3 years, not since I moved out to Tesas. I live with my aunt, so I can't be out late, plus I ride the bus. It's kinda sucky because I'd love to go see TV on the Radio next week, and there's the tour being sponsored by HRC with Cyndi Lauper, the Dresden Dolls, Margaret Cho, and some other people I don't remember.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#7 | Back to Top04-01-2007 06:08:46 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Romanticide wrote:

I am proud of the old Shakira, before she started to construct her international fame only in her hips, never had see her in concert though.

I'm glad someone understands me.

#8 | Back to Top04-01-2007 09:36:05 AM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Let me think...the only two concerts I've gone to that were anything like expensive were Sisters of Mercy (around $60) and Aretha Franklin (again, something like $60...and we got them almost half price from a scalper)...besides that, everything was around ~$10-$20 tops. So...um...I've also seen The Unicorns (the second to last time they came to Chicago, before disbanding), J+J+J (a happy electro local group that I went to see, briefly befriended, then sort of lost touch with), Joanna Newsom (actually, this was free--a classmate of mine won the tickets, then gave them away), Dave Holland Quintent (except Chris Potter was sick that day so it was actually the Dave Holland, uh, Quartet, I guess), Gravy Train!!!! (this was probably the funnest), and some miscellaneous shows that I can't recall because I didn't enjoy the band and only went because my best friend wanted me to.

Oh! Um...and I sat in the next door record store during Yeah Yeah Yeahs, a few years back, because they were sold out and the buildings shared a side wall so I could hear them almost perfectly. (Then I bought a record. For my dad. With the money I would have used for my ticket.)

Anyway, I haven't actually been to a concert for a really long time, now...haven't really wanted to, for whatever reason. (Or had the money to spare...) Well, me'n some friends went to a jazz club in France, a few weeks ago, but that doesn't really count. (It was actually kind of excruiating, because everyone except me was flaming drunk and being noisy and the quiet people who wanted to hear the music [me being one of them] kept whispering to me [in Franglish] to make my friends shut up.)

#9 | Back to Top04-01-2007 06:12:34 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Depeche Mode, Touring the Angel: November 2005 (BEST. CONCERT. EVER)
POLYSICS, March 2006
RHCP, August 2006
Sakamoto Maaya, AX 2005
Ishida Yoko, AX 2004
Joe Satriani, May 2005 (My ex-boyfriend talked me into going)

Hopefully: Dir en grey, May 2007

#10 | Back to Top04-02-2007 09:40:20 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Lemme get this straight: you want me to list all the shows I've been to?  That would take a while, and I'd probably forget some.  I average about four shows a year, I'd say.  Concert-going is definitely one of my hobbies.

Let's go bands I've seen often and other memorable shows:

Nine Inch Nails: four times (April 2000; October 2005; February 2006; June 2006 [with Bauhaus!])
Gaelic Storm: four times (July 2003; [spring 2005; I forget the exact date]; May 27, 2006 [my 23rd birthday]; March 16, 2007)
Wilco/Jeff Tweedy: twice (June 2005; October 2006)/once (September 2005)
Fiery Furnaces: twice (March? 2005; June 2006)
Broken Social Scene (November 2006); holy crap, so many people on one stage!  Long show, too--you couldn't get them off the stage.
Soul Coughing: once (March 1999); their last tour before they broke up, and my first-ever concert.

Upcoming shows:

The Tragically Hip: April 12, State Theatre, Detroit (sold out!)
LCD Soundsystem: May 7, Majestic Theatre, Detroit (my second time seeing them)

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#11 | Back to Top04-04-2013 09:02:32 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

I work at a concert hall so I don't go see a show unless I really want to. The last one I saw was Maroon 5 back in two-thousand seven and we saved enough money to sit in the fourth row. It was awesome. The next one we're going to see is Pitbull and Ke$ha in June. I'm mostly going for him. Let me  tell you he puts on quite a show. The special effects are splendid and he doesn't just stand there like some stars.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#12 | Back to Top04-05-2013 04:02:26 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

I am so deprived in this area...but the shows I have gone to have been low cost and really fun.
A Weird Al Yankovic concert a few years ago
A Turquoise Jeep concert a in late 2012.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mNQX8lUEDI

And this April another Turquoise Jeep concert. emot-dance

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#13 | Back to Top04-24-2015 11:06:44 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

I saw Stevie Wonder a few weeks ago, and that's an experience I'll never forget.  Two days ago I also saw the local symphony play with the famous Peking Acrobats.

#14 | Back to Top04-24-2015 06:25:21 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

I've been to literally hundreds of shows over the years, starting with Ozzy Osbourne in 1988. Most of the shows have been alt-rock, metal or goth.

The best one in recent memory was Danzig in 2014. He brought Doyle from The Misfits on stage and did about a dozen Misfits songs, and it was amazing. He also had Johnny Kelly from Type O Negative and Tommy Victor from Prong in his band.

In stark contrast, I also went to L.A. to see Hatsune Miku last year. I got hooked on Vocaloid music after playing the Project Diva F video games, and I really wanted to see what a full-service Vocaloid concert would be like. It did not disappoint. The "projections" of the Vocaloids were much more life-like and solid looking in real life than I was expecting. The (all-human) backing band brought a lot of live energy that made up for the fact that the vocals were obviously all pre-recorded. What really made it special was the great response from the fans. We were all issued with green glow-sticks, and every single person there was waving it to the beat. I can understand why people would be sceptical about this kind of "live" show, but it turned out to be a magical experience.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#15 | Back to Top02-13-2016 11:36:42 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

WE HAVE PENTATONIX TICKETS!! (screams with joy) They're one of the few groups I really care about. I'm so excited.

#16 | Back to Top08-24-2017 08:45:14 PM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

A couple weeks ago I went to NYC to my first ever concert, for They Might Be Giants. It was free (yaay) and mostly kid/family oriented, but fun nonetheless. Really surreal at first because my brain was like "whoa, I've only ever heard these guys' songs recorded, I'm seeing them in person what," but I got used to it. I also saw one guy throw his toddler up in the air and a cute teenage couple slow dancing like they were in a 90's coming of age movie.
I'm not the biggest TMBG fan (that would be my brother) but I still dig their music. β™« The sun is a mass of incandescent gas... β™« Er, β™« the sun is a miasma of incandescent plasma... β™«

This binch be postin' once every century

#17 | Back to Top08-29-2017 12:44:08 PM

vandownbyriver
Wakaba Wrangler

I've been to a decent share of concerts and comedy shows (I have a Google Doc so I can keep track of who I've seen, and who opened for them and where), so I probably won't list all of them.  I have a few upcoming ones I'm excited about though!

-I have 3rd (potentially 1st) row seats to see Paramore a couple days after my birthday weeeeeeeeee!  I might be a bit out of place there (I'm a guy in my mid-20s who was never one of the Warped Tour kids) but I don't even care, I am JAZZED.
-Speaking of jazz, I'm seeing Postmodern Jukebox in a couple months as well, which should be fun.  Gonna get dressed up with my fiancΓ© and some friends and pretend to be CLASSY.
-I'm seeing LCD Soundsystem later this year, too!  I'll admit that I have mixed feelings about the reunion but I didn't really know about them until they had disbanded, so I'm thrilled at the chance to see them.  HYPE

And no, I don't need to end each entry with an all-caps word.  I'm just excitable and like patterns.

#18 | Back to Top08-30-2017 12:38:42 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I just went to the Die Antwoord concert. They played all my favorites. God I'm so tired right now.

Mosh pits are fun etc-love

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#19 | Back to Top09-26-2017 01:41:40 PM

Hornet
New Student

(major) Gigs I've been to in order:

Michael Jackson
HIM
Cradle of Filth
the Beat
Circle Takes the Square
Das Racist
Sigur Ros
Action Bronson
Shonen Knife
Animal Collective
the Cure
the Pixies
Alt-J
American Football

Got tickets to go see Run the Jewels soon! ! !!

Last edited by Hornet (09-26-2017 03:29:58 PM)

#20 | Back to Top10-24-2017 06:31:49 AM

vandownbyriver
Wakaba Wrangler

So last week, I spent $100 to see a sold-out Chelsea Wolfe concert, who's an artist that I'm the only fan of in my circle.  I'm the worst.

The concert was great, though!  I was sitting alone in a parking garage beforehand, hastily applying eye shadow and black nail polish.  I'd never been to a show before where the performers finished a song, the audience applauded, and then TOTAL SILENCE until the next song started.  That kind of crowd, but in the best way possible.  And Chelsea sounded fantastic, so that helped.

Bonus fun fact: At her merch table, they had all her albums, on CD, vinyl... AND CASSETTE.  She had legit cassettes made for all of her albums.  You don't find that kind of attention to detail everywhere.

Board footer