This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-12-2007 02:45:32 AM

xxkiriyamaxx
Wakaba Wrangler

Exactly when's the date it aired??...

Hey guys!
I'm new to the site, my name is xxkiriyamaxx and I'm a big fan of SKU.
Does anyone here know when exactly was the day the series aired? Because, well, I run a LiveJournal and I want to do a deep review in spanish, since there's a lack of information for the series in that language, and I want to release it the exact date. I'm not quite sure when it was, or if it already passed, since I watched SKU three years later on national TV (and the jerks didn't even completed it!!! emot-mad  I thank the fansubs for their hard job allowing me to see SKU!! GAMBARE FANSUBS!!).

So please, if anyone now, I'll be happy to know.
Thanks.

Also, if anyone wants to look up at my LJ, here´s the adress: http://kiriyamanox.livejournal.com , come on, don't be shy, go on and see my journal or I'll send the monkey-mouse to eat your house!!! I MEAN IT!!!

Hehehe!
Matta-ne!
Kiriyama nox

#2 | Back to Top07-12-2007 02:53:15 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Re: Exactly when's the date it aired??...

I wanna say April 2, 1997... At least for the Japanese version. No idea on the Spanish one.

And... I'd gladly look at your journal more but... I have no idea what it says... emot-keke;

#3 | Back to Top07-12-2007 06:32:40 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

After sleuthing to figure out if you were in Spain, Mexico, or another Spanish-speaking country, I check the Anime News Network Encyclopedia to see their info.  According to them, it aired from May 20, 2000 to August 27, 2000 on Unicable Mexico Broadcast.  It is not clear if that's the first time it aired, but I think it's highly possible that it was.

#4 | Back to Top07-12-2007 07:47:45 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

allegoriest wrote:

I wanna say April 2, 1997... At least for the Japanese version. No idea on the Spanish one.

And... I'd gladly look at your journal more but... I have no idea what it says... emot-keke;

Yep yep. April 2, 1997 – December 24, 1997. emot-smile

...nice gift Akio gets on Christmas Eve, huh? emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#5 | Back to Top07-12-2007 08:35:33 AM

Pandora
Pathtracer

Wow, compared to some anime, that seems like such a such airing period.

#6 | Back to Top07-12-2007 03:38:40 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Giovanna wrote:

allegoriest wrote:

Yep yep. April 2, 1997 – December 24, 1997. emot-smile

...nice gift Akio gets on Christmas Eve, huh? emot-frown

And the series premiered on Kanae's birthday, at that. school-eng101

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#7 | Back to Top07-12-2007 03:47:41 PM

Pandora
Pathtracer

Four days before my tenth birthday, too.

#8 | Back to Top07-12-2007 06:07:35 PM

xxkiriyamaxx
Wakaba Wrangler

Cerise wrote:

After sleuthing to figure out if you were in Spain, Mexico, or another Spanish-speaking country, I check the Anime News Network Encyclopedia to see their info.  According to them, it aired from May 20, 2000 to August 27, 2000 on Unicable Mexico Broadcast.  It is not clear if that's the first time it aired, but I think it's highly possible that it was.

Unicable aired it the second time and it was on Cable, not on Open TV on México.

The first time was on 1999 on Canal 4, I think. They transmited just 'til episode 22, I believe, since I wasn't able to watch it since Canal 4 is an Open tv local channel for those who live on Mexico City and their surrondings. Since I'm in the southern part of the country, the signal never made it to my city. 

Unicable made a good work airing to episode 31. But they had some serious changes, like the names: Utena was not "Utena", but "Ursula", and Anthy was called "Angie". Kyouchi Saijonji was named KEVIN Saijonji,(OMFG!!!!!) and also it wasn't called "The Sword of Dios", since well... Dios is spanish for "God", so most of the people here would crash and start praying and saying it was blasphemous and so on... so they decided for "Dionisios" instead of "Dios". Also, the opening and the ending theme, the Rinbu Revolution and Truth song, were translated and sung by a mexican seiyuu, who did a good work but not the best we could expect, "Virtual Star Hasseigaku", the second ending, was butchered too... they just placed over the "Truth" mexican version song over the scenes, which made it look pretty weird (but oh well... Utena is pretty much weirdness all over it). Also, they switched the name from "Revolutionary Girl Utena" to "El Anillo Mágico", which translates as "The Magic Ring"... (No comment on that one)

Other than that butchering, they did a good job on the voice acting and the dubbing, not like the english one. In fact, I preffer "Ursula"'s voice more than Utena's original. But that's just my choice.

Thanks everyone for your cooperation. I'll post up the article about Utena on spanish once I finished it. (sorry, but that's the intention since we spanish speakers have so little info on our language from this series)

Matta-ne!
Kiriyama Nox.

#9 | Back to Top07-12-2007 09:29:00 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

xxkiriyamaxx wrote:

Finally someone who understands my pain over the spanish dub of Utena

I don't have nothing new that could help you but welcome to the forum anyways emot-keke I will check you LJ

Last edited by Romanticide (07-12-2007 09:29:25 PM)

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#10 | Back to Top07-14-2007 12:05:21 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Wow, I'm really surprised!  I figured Utena must have aired over at least two years.  But no -- thirty-nine episodes in thirty-nine weeks.  Let's see American TV come up with a quality half-hour every week with no reruns!

#11 | Back to Top07-14-2007 02:48:22 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

xxkiriyamaxx wrote:

Thanks everyone for your cooperation. I'll post up the article about Utena on spanish once I finished it. (sorry, but that's the intention since we spanish speakers have so little info on our language from this series)

Please do post the article. We are trying to expand outwards in terms of scripts and analysis so that the non-English-speaking fans will find more relevant things on our site, but Gio and I are hampered by the fact that both of us only speak English. If anyone can provide any really good resources in other languages, we'd love to take a look and maybe link... so long as we had someone to translate for us. emot-frown

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#12 | Back to Top07-14-2007 02:55:55 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Wow, I'm really surprised!  I figured Utena must have aired over at least two years.  But no -- thirty-nine episodes in thirty-nine weeks.  Let's see American TV come up with a quality half-hour every week with no reruns!

I think you're forgetting about the dungheap that is episode 36. emot-gonk

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#13 | Back to Top07-15-2007 08:44:31 PM

xxkiriyamaxx
Wakaba Wrangler

Yasha wrote:

xxkiriyamaxx wrote:

Please do post the article. We are trying to expand outwards in terms of scripts and analysis so that the non-English-speaking fans will find more relevant things on our site, but Gio and I are hampered by the fact that both of us only speak English. If anyone can provide any really good resources in other languages, we'd love to take a look and maybe link... so long as we had someone to translate for us. emot-frown

I'd FUCKING LOVE TO HELP YOU GIRLS OUT!!!!!

This site has been one of my fave's since I started as an Utena Fanboy and I love to help you guys out by expanding things. I definitively leave a link in my article to this site (it's a must!) but consider my help to translate stuff to my main language, Spanish.

Ciao!

Kiriyama

Board footer