This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top03-04-2007 03:08:46 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Re: Ouran High School Host Club (SHADOW KING OHTORI)

I've read the first two volumes of the manga and I like the fact that it doesnt' take itself seriously.

And yeah, all of the references? Just make it better.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#27 | Back to Top03-04-2007 12:19:57 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Haha, great, an Ouran thread. There are honestly so many Utena parallels! Its too obvious!

dollface wrote:

Haruhi's dad kicked some serious ass too.

dollface wrote:

Renge makes the show worth watching. I absolutely love her etc-love She acts so much like me, it's scary. She even looks like me! [but my hair isn't as light and I like to think my laugh doesn't sound like hers.] Renge FTW.

Those two are nearly my faves.

I just don't get why everyone and their dog likes the twins, though. I thought they were meh. But I love Haruhi. I agree with you about the whole pure understanding everyone part, I hate that about her, but otherwise she's a really great heroine. I am so sick of Cardcaptor Sakura/ Honda Tohru Mary Sue archetypes I could scream.

The manga is great; if you liked the anime you'll like the manga.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#28 | Back to Top03-04-2007 12:24:28 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I like the twins because I'm a pervert, I don't know about everyone else. school-devil

Edit: You know, I want to point out that everyone says they like Haruhi because she isn't a 'stereotypical character', but she is. She's your average anime heroine. She has a lot of not-so-girly characteristics, she's cute, she provides blatantly obvious yet still helpful advice, she seems to thrive on her innocence[but in most cases, just being dense], and ends up having the whole cast fall for her. Tell me you've never seen that before.

Last edited by dollface (11-05-2008 01:02:29 PM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#29 | Back to Top03-04-2007 03:33:07 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Haruhi is for most part your typical reverse harem heroine except for two things, one she is a bit of a Deadpan Snarker and two, shes the only 'flatchested' teenage heroine I seen that actually is flatchested. (People in the Slayers show claim that Lina Inverse is flatchested but she isn't drawn that way.)

#30 | Back to Top03-04-2007 03:45:27 PM

Teapot
Sensei of Sense
Website

I liked the scary Yakuza/mob kid guy. Yeah. He was entertaining, even though he was only around for 2 episodes. And hugs for Tamaki, he reminds me of the dorky, airheaded facade that a very dear guy friend of mine puts on around other people. Teehee. Such a drama king.

Also, I have a really soft spot for the Zuka club, because I'm a Takarazuka addict... (anyone else here like it? Anyone? Elisabeth is my favorite production of theirs.. aww, I should make a topic about it!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/rinfin/982.png

#31 | Back to Top03-05-2007 03:09:24 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Teapot, I take it you mean that Kasanova er Kamasutra er what ever he acual name is*hehe*, yeah he's pretty funny.

#32 | Back to Top03-06-2007 07:53:43 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Here are some more Ouran Host Club AMVs! I prefer AMVs with good lipsyncing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1zQEmuN7Ic Monty Python's You Won't Succeed on Broadway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-LIr0KSXw Sir Mix-a-Lot's Baby Got Back

#33 | Back to Top03-06-2007 12:57:23 PM

dollface
Website

Tamago wrote:

Haruhi Got Back video

The irony of that is suffocating.

Thank you for all the hilarious videos Tamago! I was in kind of a bad mood, but I watched about 5 and now I can't help but smile. etc-love Many internets and fancy german chocolates for you.

#34 | Back to Top03-06-2007 01:42:33 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Bossa Nove is love. I saw a CD in a store once with 'Bossa Nova' written on it and I began giggling. People stared. emot-gonk

dollface wrote:

I like the twins because I'm a pervert, I don't know about everyone else. school-devil

Edit: You know, I want to point out that everyone says they like Haruhi because she isn't a 'stereotypical character', but she is. She's your average anime heroine. She has a lot of not-so-girly characteristics, she's cute, she provides blatantly obvious yet still helpful advice, she seems to thrive on her innocence[but in most cases, just being dense], and ends up having the whole cast fall for her. Sit there and tell me you've never seen that before.

I'm a pervert too but they didn't interest me much. And I love twincest (hence my Miki fixation). But I have an aversion to characters that get insanely popular with fangirls, I always end up hating them.

I always realised Haruhi was a stereotypical character; I compared her to Tohru Honda way back when. I got annoyed at her "changing everyone for the better by being herself yadda yadda yadda". The difference in Haruhi is her personality, she's smart, down-to-earth, a bit of deadpan and very indifferent. She has a stereotypical role in the series but her personality defies the stereotype. Somewhat. C'mawn, its a show about stereotypes.

Last edited by YamPuff (03-06-2007 01:48:34 PM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#35 | Back to Top03-06-2007 03:37:36 PM

dollface
Website

YamPuff wrote:

I always realised Haruhi was a stereotypical character; I compared her to Tohru Honda way back when. I got annoyed at her "changing everyone for the better by being herself yadda yadda yadda". The difference in Haruhi is her personality, she's smart, down-to-earth, a bit of deadpan and very indifferent. She has a stereotypical role in the series but her personality defies the stereotype. Somewhat. C'mawn, its a show about stereotypes.

Hah, I know, stereotypes are what attracted me to the show. For me, that's what makes it so great. But it annoys me that people can't realize that Haruhi is a stereoype, too, just like everyone else. To have a main female lead like her isn't horribly rare. She reminds me of Tohru in many, many ways. I don't dislike Tohru or Haruhi, but I don't like their characters particularly. That made no sense...girls like her just give angst a bad name. Luckily, Ouran isn't one for angst, which is why I can handle Haruhi. They could have easily turned everything into a stupid ass Kagome-ordeal, but thankfully they didn't. But if you try putting her ANYWHERE near my twins, I will not be afraid to whip a bitch. Cleverness won't win the battle every time!

Edit: Don't hate her. Really. emot-gonk

Last edited by dollface (11-05-2008 01:04:11 PM)

#36 | Back to Top03-06-2007 04:46:02 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Okay, so I watched to Ouran Horror Picture Show Trailer. However, I haven't watched the show.

Who is that boy with the glasses, and how quickly can you tie him up and bring him to my bedchamber?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#37 | Back to Top03-06-2007 05:20:29 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

dollface wrote:

I like the twins because I'm a pervert

ME TOO.

I think I don't suffer the problem of ending up disliking characters because too many other people are obsessed with them because outside of thise board I don't interact with a lot of anime fans. Also, a lot of the fans I do know like completely different things than I do. This is both good and bad, because I'd love to discuss some of the anime I like with my friends, but at the same time it saves me from over-exposure to people who are realllly obsessive about anime they like.

Anyway, I really enjoyed Ouran during its run, and I've been meaning to pick up the manga.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#38 | Back to Top03-06-2007 05:38:09 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Who is that boy with the glasses, and how quickly can you tie him up and bring him to my bedchamber?

I believe you're talking about Ohtori.

I'll just have to untie him from my bed first...

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#39 | Back to Top03-06-2007 05:45:15 PM

dollface
Website

Did no one else find the fact that his last name was 'Ohtori' and he was sexy as all outside ironic?

If everyone else is all tied up with Kyouya, I'll just take the Hitachiin's off your hands... etc-love

#40 | Back to Top03-06-2007 06:30:03 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Giovanna wrote:

Raven Nightshade wrote:

I believe you're talking about Ohtori.

I'll just have to untie him from my bed first...

Ohtori, huh? Makes perfect sense. I can wait until you're done with him. emot-biggrin

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#41 | Back to Top03-06-2007 11:25:52 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

dollface wrote:

Tamago wrote:

Haruhi Got Back video

The irony of that is suffocating.

Thats for sure, while I cannot even begin to claim to have seen all the anime around, Ouran's Haruhi certainly is the first mid to late teenage girl I seen with a daikon root figure to be so popular with guys I have come across in any animes I seen.

Thank you for all the hilarious videos Tamago! I was in kind of a bad mood, but I watched about 5 and now I can't help but smile. etc-love Many internets and fancy german chocolates for you.

The internets are fine of cause, but its the German chocys I like best emot-keke etc-love Well I wouldn't be much of a God of Comedy if I cannot improve someones day when they see some of my posts *hehe*

Last edited by Tamago (03-06-2007 11:31:25 PM)

#42 | Back to Top03-07-2007 06:45:37 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

When I first got into the series, the twins never really caught my attention. They didn't interest me much. And then every other day on DevianrtArt there was a twins fanart up in the popular section, and everyone starts praising the heck out of them. There's only so much "OMG THE TWINS ARE SOO CUTE AND THEY SHOULD GET TOGETHER WITH HARUHI' I can take before it gets to me. (Note the use of 'they'...emot-rolleyes) Its not so much I began to hate the twins as their insane popularity. Like...Kyo from Fruits Basket. He's ok, but everyone just glomps praise on him until I got sick.

Its probably because I'm a member of a message board dedicated to all things anime and manga so I get a little over-exposed to crazy fans. It has a bad effect on me sometimes.

So, since no one has claimed Mori and Tamaki....*steals away*
school-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devil

#43 | Back to Top03-07-2007 04:42:25 PM

dollface
Website

YamPuff wrote:

When I first got into the series, the twins never really caught my attention. They didn't interest me much. And then every other day on DevianrtArt there was a twins fanart up in the popular section, and everyone starts praising the heck out of them. There's only so much "OMG THE TWINS ARE SOO CUTE AND THEY SHOULD GET TOGETHER WITH HARUHI' I can take before it gets to me. (Note the use of 'they'...emot-rolleyes) Its not so much I began to hate the twins as their insane popularity.

dollface wrote:

But if you try putting her ANYWHERE near my twins, I will not be afraid to whip a bitch. You can't win all the boys Cleverness won't win the battle every time!

Yep.

Last edited by dollface (11-05-2008 01:05:11 PM)

#44 | Back to Top03-07-2007 06:44:40 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

YamPuff wrote:

When I first got into the series, the twins never really caught my attention. They didn't interest me much. And then every other day on DevianrtArt there was a twins fanart up in the popular section, and everyone starts praising the heck out of them. There's only so much "OMG THE TWINS ARE SOO CUTE AND THEY SHOULD GET TOGETHER WITH HARUHI' I can take before it gets to me. (Note the use of 'they'...emot-rolleyes) Its not so much I began to hate the twins as their insane popularity.

I myself much prefer the twins together than with Haruhi school-devil

I actually like Haruhi with Tamaki. He's just so over-the-top, and she's down-to-earth, so its funny - yet at the same time it seems realistic.

Man, I know Eclair was an anime-only character... but, damn, I'd hit that.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#45 | Back to Top03-08-2007 02:21:35 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

A Day Without Me wrote:

Man, I know Eclair was an anime-only character... but, damn, I'd hit that.

Damn best anime-only character I have ever had the pleasure of viewing.

And did you catch the clever play on words? Éclair Tonnerre? Tonnerre is French for thunder and Haruhi is afraid of thunder. emot-danceemot-dance

#46 | Back to Top03-13-2007 08:23:30 PM

LadyPrince Pyro
New Student

I love Ouran. It was really funny, but also sweet and sad at times. The anime was good, but the manga series had it's good points too. emot-biggrin

But of course....where there's twincest, I too will be there! school-deviletc-love

#47 | Back to Top03-14-2007 04:20:24 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I like Haruhi mostly for her deadpan personality and her mostly even temperment and I don't think she is all that hot in the looks department but she does has some charm none the less. emot-smilecool

On the other hand while she can be almost as genki as Wakaba at times, I like seem to like Renge more than I would normally like a character like her but its just she's so outragously fun. emot-kekeetc-love

The twins are pretty good but I like the idea of Hunny-chan as some sort of mini super martial artist way better.

As for The Ouran Horror Picture Show series I posted before, the latest one has been released.

The Ouran Horror Picture Show: Ep 9- Once In A While

#48 | Back to Top03-14-2007 11:43:13 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Tamago wrote:

The twins are pretty good but I like the idea of Hunny-chan as some sort of mini super martial artist way better.

Oh yess, Honey is great. Although you just know he's all evul inside, plotting something...always plotting....
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/honey_04_animestockscom-1.jpg

#49 | Back to Top03-14-2007 12:47:42 PM

dollface
Website

Does that look like the face of someone you can put your trust in? HELL NO.

#50 | Back to Top03-14-2007 12:56:32 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Nonsense, he's perfectly innocent.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/evilhoney.jpg

...perfectly innocent...

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

Board footer