This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top12-30-2014 12:22:50 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Space Exploration

satyreyes wrote:

You only think the ESA has more computer expertise than your mother.

It is only by a lack of expertise that people fail to try this first to solve problems. school-eng101

(Seriously, how many people have you gently told to do this when they swear nothing is going to work?)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#77 | Back to Top06-13-2015 10:13:08 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

This has been circulating around the web lately. Photos of the derelict Buran Soviet space shuttle that never made it to space.

emot-frown

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#78 | Back to Top06-14-2015 02:06:47 AM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

I just drank a bottle of Space Beer.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#79 | Back to Top06-14-2015 06:56:45 AM

Ashnod
Website

satyreyes wrote:

This is great news.  There had been technical issues with the probe over the last couple days, including one where -- I shit you not -- the European Space Agency fixed the problem by turning it off and then back on.  You only think the ESA has more computer expertise than your mother.

Next: Bruce Willis blows it up.

Philae woke up!!!!!!!

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

#80 | Back to Top06-14-2015 04:35:39 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Ashnod wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

This is great news.  There had been technical issues with the probe over the last couple days, including one where -- I shit you not -- the European Space Agency fixed the problem by turning it off and then back on.  You only think the ESA has more computer expertise than your mother.

Next: Bruce Willis blows it up.

Philae woke up!!!!!!!

Yeah, I just read about that this morning. Silly little lander. It's the weekend, you should be sleeping in like everyone else.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#81 | Back to Top06-25-2015 10:40:56 PM

Ashnod
Website

Reposting from my facebook: I have no idea if the math involved in creating this image is correct, but the individual who directed me to it stated this is how big the Andromeda galaxy would appear in our sky (approximately 6 moons wide) if all of its stars were bright enough to be observed with the naked eye from Earth.

To put this into perspective, this galaxy is roughly 780 kiloparsecs or 2,538,000 light years from our planet, and it is roughly 260,000 light years in diameter. That's how far away it is and given that's how large it is, it would be this size in our sky if its light were brighter from that distance. It's 2.5 million light years away, so cut light a little slack.

IF we could see it with the naked eye like this, remember that we would be seeing it as it was 2.5 million years ago. It's difficult to imagine the scope of the cosmos sometimes, but it does not hurt to try.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff139/Ooriki/Andromeda_zpsvdwsqq2o.jpg

Last edited by Ashnod (06-26-2015 08:43:11 AM)

#82 | Back to Top06-26-2015 01:34:47 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I really have nothing of worth to say here except that that is absolutely beautiful.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#83 | Back to Top06-26-2015 02:07:46 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Stupid square-cube law, depriving us of that view.

#84 | Back to Top06-26-2015 05:20:25 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

I used to think Andromeda was the boogieman when I was a kid after watching a documentary that said it will crash into our galaxy in billions of years and merge its black hole with ours to create a superhuge one. I really was a dumb kid sometimes.

#85 | Back to Top09-18-2015 06:34:06 AM

Ashnod
Website

Bravo. Bravo. poptart

#86 | Back to Top09-28-2015 12:18:20 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

emot-dance We all psyched up for NASA's big announcement? emot-dance

I know everyone has the money on there being flowing water on Mars, but how awesome would it be if they found something like fossils? (not going to pin my hopes on Martian life.)

We live in a fuck awesome time. emot-biggrin This year alone we've seen full colour, incredibly detailed photographs of not only Pluto, but Charon as well, and now some serious shit's going down on Mars. If the human species survives the next world war with/between China and Russia, our grandchildren are going to ask us about all the things us Gen Y and Gen X people have seen and lived through.

Last edited by crystalwren (09-28-2015 12:19:52 AM)

#87 | Back to Top11-04-2015 10:33:36 PM

Ashnod
Website

#88 | Back to Top11-06-2015 02:42:16 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

The scale of it, jeebus. emot-aaa

I always find things like this comforting, the absurd size of the universe renders most of my worries pretty irrelevant, and though I can see how that would bother someone, I just find it to be a relief.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#89 | Back to Top01-12-2016 08:58:40 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I don't know how interesting anybody else will find it, but my SO has just learned that Nasa releases albums of "space sounds" on SoundCloud -he's actually planning on mixing them into the soundtrack for his podcast, so he linked me. Some of it is procedural stuff and order transmissions sort of things, but some of it is eerie, particularly things like the lightning on Jupiter and the Kepler tracks. Enjoy. there are larger libraries available elsewhere if you're interested, but SC is the most easily accessible.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#90 | Back to Top01-13-2016 04:44:26 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oh hell yeah the Saturn radio transmissions and stuff that creep me out. Alien music is awesome. emot-dance

#91 | Back to Top01-14-2016 06:44:48 AM

Ashnod
Website

I just want to say that it is always a joy to see others contributing to this thread, even if updates only come every other month or so.

If you love the cosmic and love watching our fledgling steps to touch it, know that you are in my heart. etc-love

#92 | Back to Top02-10-2016 09:37:02 PM

Dreaded Claymore
Rose Bride

This is a few years old, but here: a quick 4-minute video about the Hubble Ultra Deep Field image, including a 3D model of it.

The whole video:
https://youtu.be/oAVjF_7ensg

Skip to the model:
https://youtu.be/oAVjF_7ensg?t=2m52s

Edit:

Last edited by Dreaded Claymore (02-11-2016 08:25:27 PM)

#93 | Back to Top02-17-2016 06:16:15 AM

Ashnod
Website

Free Posters from the Jet Propulsion Lab / NASA.

#94 | Back to Top02-17-2016 06:03:47 PM

CarolineWellwater
Mikage Mistruster

(( Hey... did any of you all take part in the Smithsonian's "Reboot the Suit" Kickstarter thingy?

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah144/michaelthomas57/SpaceSuit_zpsxagggew2.png

I know it isn't space per se, but... you can't go into space without a spacesuit.  Right?

unless you're Batman.  He can breathe in space just fine. Um... yeah.  Me and my dumb sense of humor.

Anyway, if you guys didn't get a chance to see it, a whiles back, the Smithsonian Institute was asking for help to clean / repair / restore the spacesuits worn during the missions to the moon.  I think they ended up busting through their request value within like a day or something. ))

#95 | Back to Top02-17-2016 06:37:22 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Aw, no, I didn't see that one!  I'd have kicked in for sure.  I did help with Bill Nye's lightsail project a while back, and I'm looking forward to that thing going into space. emot-smile

#96 | Back to Top05-19-2016 07:44:28 AM

Ashnod
Website

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/iss044e045215_lrg.jpg

pfffpfpfpfpfpfpfffpffffff etc-jurishlick milky way spiral arm seen from the ISS etc-jurishlick pfffpffpfpfpfpffpfpffpffpfffff

#97 | Back to Top05-24-2016 06:24:39 AM

Ashnod
Website

Take some time to watch this.

It is about size and scope in the cosmos.

#98 | Back to Top05-28-2016 05:18:01 PM

CarolineWellwater
Mikage Mistruster

(( Well... I have to not, watch, Genius again, on PBS.  Especially when Georgia-PBS marathons it.

After having my mind blown, REPEATEDLY, I think I get just how much of an expansive mind Stephen Hawking has, he really does make some of the topics of the universe into aspects that the common folks on the street can understand.

Hat's off to you, Stephen Hawking.  ))

Board footer