This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-04-2012 12:41:02 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Awesome quotes thread

You express amazement at my statement that 'civilized' men try to justify their looting, butchering and plundering by claiming that these things are done in the interests of art, progress and culture. That this simple statement of fact should cause surprize, amazes me in return. People claiming to possess superior civilization have always veneered their rapaciousness by such claims... Your friend Mussolini is a striking modern-day example. In that speech of his I heard translated he spoke feelingly of the expansion of civilization. From time to time he has announced: 'The sword and civilization go hand in hand!' 'Wherever the Italian flag waves it will be as a symbol of civilization!' 'Africa must be brought into civilization!' It is not, of course, because of any selfish motive that he has invaded a helpless country, bombing, burning and gassing both combatants and non-combatants by the thousands. Oh, no, according to his own assertions it is all in the interests of art, culture and progress, just as the German war-lords were determined to confer the advantages of Teutonic Kultur on a benighted world, by fire and lead and steel. Civilized nations never, never have selfish motives for butchering, raping and looting; only horrid barbarians have those. - Robert E Howard

Keep in mind that this quote was from a known white supremacist who hated foreigners. The fact that even "radicals" are reluctant to say such things now is, in my mind, a fairly ominous sign.

A more positive one:

The philosopher should be a man willing to listen to every suggestion, but determined to judge for himself. He should not be biased by appearances ; have no favorite hypothesis ; be of no school ; and in doctrine have no master. He should not be a respecter of persons, but of things. Truth should be his primary object. If to these qualities be added industry, he may indeed hope to walk within the veil of the temple of nature. -Michael Faraday

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (11-04-2012 12:42:30 PM)

#2 | Back to Top11-04-2012 09:31:13 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: Awesome quotes thread

Robert E Howard was not a "a known white supremacist who hated foreigners." By just about any a stretch, but definitely by the standards of early 20th Century Texas.

And, what he's saying is actually very positive. The only people it's critical of, deserve to be criticized (at the least).

Last edited by Decrescent Daytripper (11-04-2012 09:32:19 PM)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#3 | Back to Top11-04-2012 09:51:49 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Robert E Howard was not a "a known white supremacist who hated foreigners." By just about any a stretch, but definitely by the standards of early 20th Century Texas.

And, what he's saying is actually very positive. The only people it's critical of, deserve to be criticized (at the least).

http://www.jasonsanford.com/jason/2010/ … acist.html

And what he's saying certainly is positive.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (11-04-2012 09:52:50 PM)

#4 | Back to Top11-04-2012 10:41:32 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

The link he gives at the link you give, for evidence, is either down or blocked from here. However, we have documented evidence of Howard attacking, physically, a lynching of a black man in progress, as well as preventing white gatherings from assaulting Native Americans in Texas. Those are documented and recorded.

The story he provides isn't racist, even, it's about racism. (Note how characters say "nigger" but the text says "negro," for example.) As many of his stories were. He's got a great one called Graveyard Rats, where the white people in the story are so busy blaming Indians for everything going horrorshow they miss the fact that they're all just rotten bastards betraying each other and the only reason they blame the Indians is because somewhere, deep down, they feel guilty for having stolen the land from those Indians and then killed most of them. Again, about racism, full of racist language, but not a racist story.

Did he have some ideas that were racist? Yes. Some of those ideas, and of casual racist language show up in some of his fiction. Was he a "white supremacist" has you say? Not at all. He was far too critical of many white cultures, for one thing, and disinclined to take a white superiority as understood, as he points out clearly in the quote you provide. Mussolini, you might have noticed, is kinda a white guy. Africans needing to be "civilized" as Howard puts it in full sarcasm mode, were probably not. The quote is neither pro-race, nor pro-nationality, pro-empire.

Last edited by Decrescent Daytripper (11-04-2012 10:42:42 PM)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#5 | Back to Top11-05-2012 03:16:17 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I don't know very much about Robert Howard, except that he created Conan the Barbarian and wrote some poems, and now I also know that he said that awesome quote.  So I can't say whether he was a white supremacist, though it would seem very strange to me for a white supremacist to issue that quote.  But I did dig up the misplaced article used as evidence in Morgus's link.  It is here.  As far as I can tell, it is made of a lot of out-of-context quotations strung together, and it's internally contradictory here and there, but the article nonetheless makes a strong case that Robert Howard was not a racially sensitive liberal living in the year 2012.  I can't really say whether he was progressive by the standards of his time, and a discussion of whether it's all right to judge a person by the standards of eir time would be out of place here.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-05-2012 03:21:40 AM)

#6 | Back to Top11-05-2012 11:40:35 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

"I don't do drugs; my dreams are frightening enough."- M.C. Escher

This is so true. Some of my best story ideas have come either after nightmares or when I'm in the shower.

"The guilty think all talk is of themselves."-Jefferey Chaucer

I think all of us have understood what that means at one time or another in our lives.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#7 | Back to Top07-07-2014 11:03:42 PM

zevrem
Banned

Work is of two kinds: first, altering the position of matter at or near the earth's surface relatively to other such matter; second, telling other people to do so. The first kind is unpleasant and ill paid; the second is pleasant and highly paid. The second kind is capable of indefinite extension: there are not only those who give orders, but those who give advice as to what orders should be given. Usually two opposite kinds of advice are given simultaneously by two organized bodies of men; this is called politics. The skill required for this kind of work is not knowledge of the subjects as to which advice is given, but knowledge of the art of persuasive speaking and writing, i.e. of advertising.  -Bertrand Russell

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#8 | Back to Top06-21-2015 06:32:57 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

"If girl scouts were police, they’d have actual training requirements for earning the right to carry a gun." - some anonymous person on Gawker

Because that bears thinking over. In both directions, really.

#9 | Back to Top06-23-2015 02:47:52 PM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Frida Kahlo:

I used to think I was the strangest person in the world but then I thought there are so many people in the world, there must be someone just like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her, and imagine that she must be out there thinking of me too. Well, I hope that if you are out there and read this and know that, yes, it's true I'm here, and I'm just as strange as you.

Where you cannot love, don't hold up.

Board footer