This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top08-09-2009 06:08:00 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: The speed of light, and other weird physics

One thing that really bugs me about the whole speed of light (c) issue is the theory that an object's mass increases as it approaches c, are they talking abut the size of the object or the number of particles increasing?

Another thing that gets to me is how scientists from Einstein onwards seem to mistake the illusion of time slowing down with actual time slowing down for the object that travels near c.

#52 | Back to Top08-09-2009 06:40:33 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Tamago wrote:

One thing that really bugs me about the whole speed of light (c) issue is the theory that an object's mass increases as it approaches c, are they talking abut the size of the object or the number of particles increasing?

My understanding of relativistic physics is sketchy at best, but I'm pretty sure the answer is "neither."  It's better to think of the object's density as being the quantity that's increasing.  Got a cubic centimeter of aluminum that weighs 3 grams?  At 99% of c it's still a cubic centimeter of aluminum, and it still has the same number of atoms as before, but now it weighs several times as much.  It got denser, in a certain sense... or something like that.  (At least, relative to you as you watch it from Earth; if you were flying on the spaceship with it, your scale would tell you it still weighs 3 grams.  It's very confusing.)

Another thing that gets to me is how scientists from Einstein onwards seem to mistake the illusion of time slowing down with actual time slowing down for the object that travels near c.

That's because scientists from Einstein onwards don't really believe that there is such a thing as "actual time."  One of Einstein's great insights was that time is relativistic.  Time, that is, works the same way as mass from the previous example.  Put an astronaut wearing a wristwatch on a rocket at noon, then shoot it into the sun at 99% of c.  According to our clocks on Earth, the rocket arrives at 12:08 (because it takes about eight minutes to get from the Earth to the Sun at near light speed), but when we use Hubble to spy on the astronaut's watch, we see it says something more like 12:01.  If she now turns the rocket around and flies back at the same speed, her watch says 12:02, but our clocks say 12:16.  In a certain sense (a phrase I'm using a lot in this post), she has time-traveled fourteen minutes into the future -- our future.  But in a certain other sense, Earth time-traveled fourteen minutes into the past -- her past.

All this is pretty well-established theory, I think.  What I don't understand is the asymmetry.  So far I've been talking as though the Earth is stationary and the rocket is moving, but of course that's not the only perspective we could watch from.  What if we watch from the rocket -- construing the rocket as the stationary point?  From the astronaut's perspective, Earth is moving away from her at 99% of c.  But if Earth is moving at 99% of c relative to the rocket, then shouldn't time appear to travel more slowly on Earth than on the rocket?  At 12:01:00 rocket time, shouldn't an Earth clock appear to read 12:00:08 or so?  And when the astronaut returns at 12:02:00 rocket time, shouldn't the Earth clock read 12:00:16?  But that contradicts what I said in the previous paragraph.  Both these things can't be true, but then which gets to be the fixed point -- Earth or the rocket -- and why?

Last edited by satyreyes (08-09-2009 06:41:18 PM)

#53 | Back to Top08-09-2009 06:54:53 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

The more you look at the universe, the less sense it makes, sometimes I wonder if this theory could be the answer.

#54 | Back to Top08-10-2009 01:10:02 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Satyr, I can help!

This same seeming paradox perplexed me for a while, but then I read the Elegant Universe. I didn't get a lot of it, but the resolution to your asymmetry issue is actually pretty simple. If a rocket is traveling away from the earth at .99c, then the rocket and the earth experience the same issues relative to each other. For the rocket, time goes slower, and for the earth... time also goes slower. Seems crazy, but it's because they're in different frames of reference. They can in fact both be slower than the other. And as long as the velocity between the two objects is constant, that is no acceleration is going on, that's how it is. It's acceleration that jumbles things. And that is actually the distinction between special and general relativity, special relativity describes a system where acceleration is zero. Sadly, general relativity is still beyond me, so I can't explain how a rocket that travels and then comes back gets there faster than it should, the so-called twin paradox. And just to make sure I'm clear on this, the time dilation produced is NOT an illusion. As satyr pointed out, there is no objective standard for the flow of time that you could claim was more valid than either measurement.

Regarding the "objects get bigger" issue, yes, they do get bigger. Not just in mass, but in displacement as well. In other words, an object passing by you at .99c is considerably longer than the same object sitting in your hand. This is not an illusion either, it really is longer. It's called a Lorenz distortion, named after the guy who developed the equations. Even wilder, the mass and displacement of an object both approach infinity as they approach the speed of light. Which suggests that if an object with mass reached the actual speed of light, it would occupy the entire universe.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#55 | Back to Top08-10-2009 02:47:41 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Eh? So why are photons not as big as the universe? emot-confused

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#56 | Back to Top08-10-2009 04:52:16 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Nanami's Rose Groom wrote:

Its unanswered questioned like this that future historians will wonder why scientists of our time couldn't answer without inventing an even more unlikely theory to attempt to answer it.

#57 | Back to Top08-10-2009 09:52:42 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Photons have no mass. Well, more precisely, photons have no rest mass, so they have mass when they're moving, but their... inherent mass if you will, is zero. The only reason they ever have mass is BECAUSE they're moving at the speed of light. In the equation, well...

Oh dear.

It appears I've been promulgating an incorrect view of relativity. Basically everything I said is true, except that as your relative velocity increases, the displacement of the object moving with respect to you decreases. So an object's size approaches nothing as it's relative velocity approaches the speed of light. So no going through the entire universe. Sad, I kind of liked that notion. Frankly I blame Lorentz's notation, he chose to divide by the factor instead of multiplying by it. I'm sure there was some reason for that, but it's a little confusing.

Anyway, back to mass. And once again, this gets ugly. Here goes.

We all probably know the equation E=mcc, usually said as E equals m c squared. It's actually more complicated though. In fact, the right hand side of this equation has to be multiplied by "gamma", the Lorentz factor. The Lorentz factor is what approaches infinity as the relative velocity of an object approaches the speed of light. On the other hand, if an object is at rest, "gamma" is equal to one. Further, momentum is defined to be equal to mass times velocity, mv. But once again, Lorentz comes into play, and in fact momentum (p) =mv(gamma), in other words, momentum equals mass times velocity times the Lorentz factor. In the above equations, by mass I mean the objects resting or "inherent" mass. But since momentum is affected by "gamma" you can see that as gamma goes up, momentum goes up. So when gamma goes to infinity (I mean in the sense of limits here of course), momentum also goes to infinity. BUT! In the case of a photon, "m" is equal to zero. A photon has no rest mass. So in the equation, you have a limit equivalent to zero times infinity, and indeterminate form. I don't want to go into the calculus here, this is getting long enough as it is, but in such a case, the result CAN be a real number. It might not be, but in this case it is, and the result is the momentum of a photon. But since momentum classically depends on mass, the nonzero momentum of that photon implies that the photon does have a kind of mass, called relativistic mass. The problem is, many physicists, including Einstein himself, hate that term and find it misleading. So it's debatable whether you can say a photon has mass in any way, but it can be clearly shown that it can ONLY have momentum (and maybe mass, maybe) if it's moving AT the speed of light.

Sorry, I know that's a little hard to follow. Frankly, this is pretty complex stuff, and not easy to explain briefly.

-Truck North

#58 | Back to Top08-10-2009 09:55:40 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Tamago wrote:

Its unanswered questioned like this that future historians will wonder why scientists of our time couldn't answer without inventing an even more unlikely theory to attempt to answer it.

Because photons have no mass, as I mentioned in the first post of this thread emot-smile  No mass means they can hit light speed without becoming infinitely massive.  (Oddly enough, a photon that is actually traveling at light speed does have "relativistic mass," because zero times infinity is not always zero, but it's not a very large mass.)
ETA: Beaten by Stormy as usual!  emot-biggrin

Last edited by satyreyes (08-10-2009 09:57:51 AM)

#59 | Back to Top08-10-2009 03:53:37 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

This is the sort of thing that confuses me, if photons have no mass but it has 'relativistic mass', is this like saying that when a skitzo hears voices, to everyone else, they do not exist, but they have a relativistic existance to a skitzo?

#60 | Back to Top08-10-2009 07:24:07 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

A white tabletop contains no pigment; as a result, it is colorless under full-spectrum light.  But if you turn off the full-spectrum light and shine a red flashlight on the table, you observe that the table is now red.  Normally, for something to have a color it has to have pigment; but under abnormal conditions (say, under red light) you can make something without pigment have color.  If you hadn't seen the table under the white light, you might conclude it had red pigment.  But you do know better, so instead you might call this illusory pigment the table's "apparent pigment."

In the same way, a photon has no mass; as a result, it has no momentum when it is at rest.  But if you make it go light speed, you observe that the photon now has momentum.  Normally, for something to have momentum it has to have mass; but under abnormal conditions (say, at c) you can make something without mass have momentum.  If you didn't know from prior observation that photons are massless, you might conclude they have mass.  But you do know better, so you call this illusory mass the photon's "relativistic mass."

Does that make any sense?

#61 | Back to Top08-10-2009 10:57:49 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Actually, I think the issue with the analogy is that with schizophrenia, we have an objective reality that there are no voices and the person is responding to misfires in the brain. You don't have something like that in physics, where there is no absolute frame of reference, it has to be defined situationally. It's more like a case where two witnesses to a crime tell contradictory stories, but it's worse than that, because in a crime, there is a factual "way it happened". So while I have a precisely defined resting mass, that's only with respect to something stationary with respect to me. The chair I'm sitting in for example. But with respect to cars driving by outside, my mass is a little larger. Not seems larger, IS larger. The difference of course is so minute that you'd be hard pressed to measure it, but with respect to a distant galaxy receding from me at nearly the speed of light, that's a different matter.

Put another way, when we say something appears one way and is another, we suggest that there is some deeper basic level of reality about the way it is, but not the way it appears. But when I talk about time seeming slower for something moving away from me very very quickly, there is no deeper level of reality to compare it to. Relative time is as good as it gets. Same with momentum (and by implication, mass) and length.

-Truck North

#62 | Back to Top08-10-2009 11:58:13 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

Put another way, when we say something appears one way and is another, we suggest that there is some deeper basic level of reality about the way it is, but not the way it appears. But when I talk about time seeming slower for something moving away from me very very quickly, there is no deeper level of reality to compare it to. Relative time is as good as it gets. Same with momentum (and by implication, mass) and length.

But isn't there at least one quantity -- the speed of a photon -- that is the same no matter what frame of reference you use for your measurement?  Not for a minute saying I understand it, but I'm pretty sure physicists believe that light in a vacuum travels 186,000 miles per second no matter what crazy things you might be doing.  That is, if you were going .99c with respect to Earth in the same direction as a nearby photon, you would still clock that photon as traveling at c -- not .01c -- even though south of the relativistic horizon things look like they're moving slower when we're moving almost as fast in the same direction.  You can't measure a photon's mass at rest because you can never get a photon to be at rest with respect to any frame of reference.  So isn't a photon's "relativistic mass" just about as un-relative a quantity as could possibly exist?

#63 | Back to Top08-11-2009 12:21:52 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

It's true that the speed of light in a vacuum is a universal constant. It's actually a consequence of that that all the craziness happens. But through other media it varies, so the momentum varies, and therefore the "relativistic mass" as well. I think.

-Truck North

#64 | Back to Top08-11-2009 01:52:35 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I wonder if light and gravity are two sides of the same coin, as gravity in itself doesn't seem to have mass or can be properly represented by particles.

I hope you are catching my drift.

#65 | Back to Top08-11-2009 01:26:59 PM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Ok... one more stuff that came to my mind as far as mass is concerned. Black holes are really small, but massive objects. So massive, that they bend the spacetime around them, or maybe even they kind of rip through it into another universe (or another part of this one). What is it anyway that makes them that massive? Gravity? I'm sure I heard somewhere that black hole gets more and more massive, because the amount of matter it "consumes" is greater in a particular period of time, then the mass it loses through vaporizationa (Hawking's radiation, as far as I remember). So how does gravity do not affect the particles of the radiation? The more massive the black hol;e gets the greater should be it's gravitational pull? Or did I mess something:confused:

#66 | Back to Top08-11-2009 02:20:57 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Tamago, you may be surprised to learn that gravity has a carrier particle, as do all the fundamental forces (nuclear weak, nuclear strong, electromagnetic). Gravity's carrier particle is, quite simply enough, the graviton (pronounced "grav-uh-tawn"). When somebody speaks of "gravitonic" technology, they're talking about devices and weapons that make use of the force of gravity through its carrier particle to achieve the intended effect of the device in question.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#67 | Back to Top08-11-2009 02:47:39 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

BioKraze wrote:

The Graviton.

Thats just a theoretical particle thou right? As fas as I recall, the existance of the graviton haven't been verified yet (assuming it ever will)

#68 | Back to Top08-11-2009 03:06:10 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Actually, the graviton is hypothetical, and may well not exist. If it does exist, it's unlikely it has locality, so even thinking of it as a particle may be incorrect. For this reason, the gravitational force may be fundamentally different from EM, strong and weak forces, all of which have mediating particles whose existence is confirmed. Oh, by EM force, I mean light, sort of. Light is EM radiation, so any force exerted by it is EM force.

As for black holes... it's not mass that defines them so much as density. In other words, you could make a black hole out of a baseball if you could crush it down small enough. Small enough in that case would be on the order of an angstrom I'd guess, which is a little ludicrous. You'd kind of need another black hole to generate that kind of pressure. Anyway, it's typically stars that collapse into black holes as I understand it, so you have a lot of mass, and when the fusion process powering the star stops, or rather decreases below a certain threshold, the star might collapse inward. The density of the sun isn't all that much, even though it's mass is gigantic, because the fusion keeps the mass blown out pretty far. I don't think the sun is a black hole candidate in any case, not the right kind of star. Anyway, the mass that is ADDED to a black hole after it becomes a black hole would be pretty trivial. Things in the universe mostly move AWAY from each other, and even a black hole wouldn't change that. Gravity peters off pretty quickly when you move farther away.

The Hawking radiation thing is really weird. Seems to have something to do with temperature and entropy... I may do some more research later, but no time right now. Oh, and the whole "black holes are portals to somewhere" thing is purely speculative. There is no evidence that other universes even exist, though there's no reason they can't either. It's kind of like believing in god. No reason god can't be real, but scientifically speaking, there's just no evidence.

-Truck North

#69 | Back to Top08-12-2009 02:23:03 PM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Actually mathematically it is a concept that makes sense. Read Wheeler's "Cosmic Catastrophes", there is some info on the existence of alternate universes, but only as a mathematical model...

#70 | Back to Top08-12-2009 03:57:47 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Actually mathematically it is a concept that makes sense.

The spirit of Ambrose Bierce who resides in my body would like to point out that this is probably the best argument against the existence of gravitons.

But seriously, I know nothing about how gravitons are supposed to work.  I like the mattress metaphor you run across a lot in popular science books, where massive objects cause an indentation in space that everything else nearby tends to fall into, or else circle around in orbit.  This metaphor elegantly explains why photons are displaced by massive objects even though they themselves are massless.  Are gravitons supposed to somehow model the same idea only with particles -- which challenges my imagination, but then, what doesn't? -- or are they part of a different gravitational "metaphor" entirely?

#71 | Back to Top08-13-2009 01:04:33 PM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

I've heard about gravitons only in sci-fi books, so I can't really tell anything about them. If gravity is some kind of a force, maybe it would be possible for gravitons to exist. But if gravity is only a property of an object, that somehow is dependant on the objects mass, i dount in the existence of such particles...

Board footer