This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-14-2008 06:48:26 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

[Food] Traditional Japanese food, or HELP I'M MAKING DINNER!

Right, so. Friday night I am in charge of Dinner, and I want to make this big huge enough-for-a-small-country's-military spread. Thing is, I don't know what all to make other than teriyaki beef, orange glazed chicken, little octopus-shaped sausages, and umeboshi-and-salmon onigiri. Does anybody have any ideas about what to make, and how to go about making it? :33

Also, I want a bento box. Very badly. What should I look for in a bento box? And where to get one? [And is JList a good place to get one, or should I find another place?]

Any help is vaaaastly appreciated. etc-love

Last edited by Lady Nilamarthiel (05-14-2008 06:48:51 PM)

#2 | Back to Top05-14-2008 09:25:11 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Re: [Food] Traditional Japanese food, or HELP I'M MAKING DINNER!

EDAMAME

Just buy a shitload, salt them, and steam them just a little. You're not trying to cook them, you just want them warm. Easy and cheap.emot-biggrin

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#3 | Back to Top05-15-2008 02:07:11 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Japanese curried rice is easy as...but only if you have the base, which may not be easy to get. I can get it at my local supermarket, but New Zealand actually has a lot of Asian tourists and residents, so we have odd things sometimes. But...yeah. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_curry It's dead easy, if you can find the sauce mix. emot-biggrin

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#4 | Back to Top05-15-2008 06:11:40 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

Also, I want a bento box. Very badly. What should I look for in a bento box? And where to get one? [And is JList a good place to get one, or should I find another place?]

J-list is where Paradox got my cute little bento.  I'll ask him where the other site was too that had a nice selection of such things.

#5 | Back to Top05-15-2008 06:27:18 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'ma keep my eyes on this thread--I know embarrassingly little about cooking Japanese food. I can make sushi but that's not Japanese food in its entirety and I feel pretty much like an asshole for not knowing more than that. emot-redface

Yakitori is a pretty big deal, but the real deal would take a grill, huh? What about panko crumbs? Christ anything you put them on becomes instantly delicious. emot-dance

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top05-15-2008 07:27:38 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Another easy to make but delicious Japanese treat is zarusoba. Now for this you do need to get soba noodles, which an ordinary grocery store likely wouldn't have, but if you have any kind of Asian market then you can probably find them. If you do that, grab some dipping sauce for soba at the same time. Or you can make your own sauce if you're feeling REALLY industrious, I never do myself. You also wants some green onions, some nori strips (toasted seaweed), and maybe some wasabi (can't stand wasabi myself). If you're mixing the sauce yourself, you'll need some mirin (rice wine), soy sauce, and some dashi soup stock.

Boil the noodles. Not too long, they should be a little al dente. The usual rule of taking them out 30 seconds early doesn't really apply here though, because as soon as they're done, you rinse them in cold water. Some people dump them on ice, which is fine, just make sure you don't serve them with any ice in them. Anyway, slice up the green onion very fine and serve it on the side for people to add. Pat the noodles dry with a paper towel a little before serving them. Give everyone a heap of noodles topped with some of the nori strips. Everyone should have their own little dish for the sauce too.

The sauce is mostly the soup stock, flavored with the rice wine, some soy sauce and a little sugar. Just to give you an idea, the recipes that I've seen call for 1 cup stock, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 tablespoons mirin, 1/4 teaspoon sugar. Ideally these should all be boiled together very briefly and then chilled. But if you're wanting simple, most Asian grocers will carry the stuff pre-made.

Now for the most important part...make sure to mock anyone who tries to eat these without chopsticks. It really doesn't work too well.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#7 | Back to Top05-15-2008 07:35:34 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I'm almost tempted to say okonomiyaki, but the problem with those -- they're a kind of savoury pancake -- is that I have the actual base mixture. The flour the Japanese use is quite different to Western stuff, and I don't know how to make the batter from scratch. They are fun to make and relatively easy, which is a pity.

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#8 | Back to Top05-15-2008 09:12:32 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Well, I got glutenous rice flour so I can make daifuku. HOWEVER, I have no sweet azuki bean paste [anko]. This makes me sad. Does anybody think that it would  be okay to substitute the anko with sweet mashed strawberries? emot-redface

#9 | Back to Top05-15-2008 09:25:35 PM

Almaser
Qualified Duellist

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

Well, I got glutenous rice flour so I can make daifuku. HOWEVER, I have no sweet azuki bean paste [anko]. This makes me sad. Does anybody think that it would  be okay to substitute the anko with sweet mashed strawberries? emot-redface

Oh honey, you don't even need to mash them. Whole strawberries in the middle of a mochi is freaking delicious.

Also, if you want I have my recipe for Niku-Jaga, a simple meat and potato dish that's really quite tasty. My host mom made it all the time while I lived in Japan. etc-love

#10 | Back to Top05-16-2008 12:11:25 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Oh, I'd love it, Almaser! I need all the help I can get. emot-dance etc-love

EDIT: I made about just the ugliest fake-mochi ever. I hope it doesn't taste too bad. emot-tongue

[My grandmother kept calling them Dinosaur boogers. emot-rofl]

Last edited by Lady Nilamarthiel (05-16-2008 03:43:16 PM)

#11 | Back to Top05-17-2008 12:18:59 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Bento? I love bento!

I guess first off, you should figure out a good size for a box. Dividers isn't really necessary, since you can use backing cups to seperate things. (I use paper, foil and silicon. Other people have found hard plastic ones at dollar stores.) Also, in some small boxes, you can fit ALOT of food in. And for something found in America alot, I REALLY like these Fit & Fresh boxes. They sell some of them at Target. (At least at mine.) In my own opinion, one with one deep container would probably be easier to fill. The ones I use most often are about 1" and 1 1/2" deep each. They drive me crazy.
ALSO! Watertight is ALWAYS a good thing. And not all are microwavable.

If you really want a cute bento, I'd probably go to ebay, but prices might be scary. Sometimes there are good deals. (apparently, Ichiban Kan is a nice place, but I think the site is down right now. the online part is relatively new, apparently its a Japanese dollar store in San Fransisco.)

I think the most important part in making cutesy bento is variety. Only a few bites max of each thing. its kinda like, edible orderly chaos. Of course, put in whatever you want.

On Japanese food, I dunno much. (personal taste really. I end up filling mine with sauerkraut and sausage...) I have several bento magazines, but it has alot of non traditional stuff. (like, it has a salad thing, but its almost sushi? the salad is rolled inside rice and nori... It also has examples of 'ethnic bento' French fries for France? yeeah... dunno guys.) it also has alot of sandwich ideas, like making small ones out of dinner rolls and all.

You could also do garnishes if you're good with a knife. Radishes are fun to carve, you can make roses, geometric designs, mushrooms or whatever. and if you mess up, they're really small. hide it.

...also, I drew you guys a simple, cute bunny garnish from a hard boiled egg I found in a magazine.  Red Angel LOVES these. They're all bento-tastic.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/le … nyeggs.jpg

Board footer