This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-19-2011 12:43:46 PM

Atomic Lightbulb
Miki Molester
Website

Any AMV Song Ideas?

Hey guys! I am currently participating in an AMV tournament and my muse is just like gone. Vanished. Just poof. And I cannot for the life of me come up with a song - though (at the moment at least) I'm fairly certain I want to edit with RGU. So I was hoping maybe someone here has a song for me?

(I've already looked through the songs listed on a similar thread and didn't find anything that sparked with me - so moderators feel free to delete this if it's really inappropriate.)

The theme this round is  "We would like our group to try and show emotion through video, and make a sentimental amv where no words are needed to express the theme behind it." I don't really have a specific character in mind (but I probably won't go with something Juri centric because I've already done a video like that) or type of music. I'm open to anything.

Of course I'll give credit if I do take someone's idea, but I don't really want to market this as a request thread (mostly cause I have a habit of starting AMVs then never finishing them), I'm just really in need of some advice.

Help please? emot-frown

#2 | Back to Top05-19-2011 12:53:36 PM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

Re: Any AMV Song Ideas?

Just out of curiosity... does that theme mean focusing on using music with more instrumental focus than lyrical content, or merely less focus on syncing footage with lyrics?

Either way, the only advice I can offer would be to quote my post replying to Sharnii's latest AMV thread. That's just my opinion, it's all I can think of to say really.

me wrote:

etc-love Muse, etc-love your videos, etc-love this AMV.

On a side note, a fair number of songs from the Absolution album sound to me like they'd make great Utena AMV material as well...

(Adolescence) Apocalypse Please

Butterflies and Hurricanes (Ode to Utena)

(Juri's) Time is Running Out

Sing for Absolution (Also obviously Juri-centric)

Then again I also think... well, actually just about any song off that album would work, I just listed the most fitting ones I could come up with atm.

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#3 | Back to Top05-19-2011 01:02:53 PM

Atomic Lightbulb
Miki Molester
Website

Chrome Homura wrote:

Just out of curiosity... does that theme mean focusing on using music with more instrumental focus than lyrical content, or merely less focus on syncing footage with lyrics?

Thank you for the reply!

The theme is more conveying a sentimental feeling, I think. So it would depend on the editor. If the editor can bring out emotion better with just pure music, then they should do that. On a personal level, I like editing to lyrics the best. But in all honesty I'm kind of just rambling here. They're really flexible with their themes. You interrupt what they gave you and try to make the best video you can.

#4 | Back to Top05-19-2011 01:18:03 PM

poetoffire
Mikage Mistruster

I'll probably do this myself when I get the DVDs, but here's an interesting AMV idea:

Johanna Quartet from the original Broadway version of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

Mikage is Sweeney, talking about Tokiko and Utena

"And if I never hear your voice, my turtledove, my dear
I still have reason to rejoice, the way ahead is clear, Johanna
And in that darkness, when I'm blind with what I can't forget
It's always morning in my mind, my little lamb, my pet Johanna.

You stay Johanna,
The way I've dreamed you are
Oh look, Johanna, a star
A shooting star!

And though I'll think of you, I guess, until the day I die
I think I miss you less and less as everyday goes by, Johanna
And you'd be beautiful and pale and look too much like her
If only angels could prevail, we'd be the way we were, Johanna.

Wake up Johanna
Another bright red day
We learn, Johanna
To say goodbye."

The other parts of the quartet would be Touga as Anthony, Utena as Johanna singing to her prince, and Wakaba as the Beggar Woman singing about how Anthy's a witch.

It's a darkly sentimental song, since he's killing people as he ruminates over the daughter he'll never know.  I think it fits.

#5 | Back to Top05-19-2011 01:25:03 PM

Atomic Lightbulb
Miki Molester
Website

poetoffire wrote:

I'll probably do this myself when I get the DVDs, but here's an interesting AMV idea:

Johanna Quartet from the original Broadway version of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

Mikage is Sweeney, talking about Tokiko and Utena

The other parts of the quartet would be Touga as Anthony, Utena as Johanna singing to her prince, and Wakaba as the Beggar Woman singing about how Anthy's a witch.

It's a darkly sentimental song, since he's killing people as he ruminates over the daughter he'll never know.  I think it fits.

Ohhh. I've seen the movie (though I doubt it did the Broadway version justice) but I'm hesitant to do this if you want to. I really like your videos and could do a way better job than I could.

#6 | Back to Top05-19-2011 05:21:04 PM

Gainel
Rose Bride

Evanescence FTW. :3 Almost any of their songs would work for the Utena cast.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it on a fruit salad.

#7 | Back to Top05-19-2011 06:21:18 PM

Atomic Lightbulb
Miki Molester
Website

Gainel wrote:

Thanks for your input!

#8 | Back to Top05-19-2011 06:28:36 PM

Gainel
Rose Bride

Atomic Lightbulb wrote:

Gainel wrote:

Thanks for your input!

Much welcome! If you need some additional details, here are some ideas I posted on a different thread:

Gainel wrote:

In general, pretty much every Evanescence song makes me think of a Utena character. I want to make videos of all of them someday :3

Everybody's Fool - Utena (spoken of from Anthy's unhappy point of view... mostly because she knows that Utena's prince-façade IS in fact a façade, and from her line "You could never be my prince anyway - you're a girl." Perhaps not her exact words, but you get the general idea.)

Sweet Sacrifice - Shiori, probably, since the song has such a sarcastic tone in some lines, and Shiori can be pretty cruel. She'd most likely be referring to Juri here... [Could also apply to Nanami -> Keiko, because Nanami kind of... hates Keiko for a good bit.]

Bring Me to Life - Anthy of course. Reasons are obvious.

Weight of the World - Juri, most likely to Ruka. Even though she, in fact, IS held down by who she used to be (by Shiori, of course).

My Immortal - Movie!Utena, when she still cannot get over Touga. Perhaps could also fit either post-series Anthy or post-series Utena, if stuff doesn't go well for them.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it on a fruit salad.

#9 | Back to Top05-20-2011 11:46:47 AM

RhythmFusion
Rose Smilee

How about an Adam Lambert song? Plenty of his songs are quite emotional.emot-smile

"But screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail." ~ Lady Macbeth; Macbeth - Act One, Scene 7
"Crying is such hypocrisy. How can happiness cause the same reaction as sadness? Does pleasure share the same edge of the blade of life as pain?" - What His Crimson Eyes Believe in: Ch. 2

#10 | Back to Top05-20-2011 06:22:22 PM

Atomic Lightbulb
Miki Molester
Website

RhythmFusion wrote:

How about an Adam Lambert song? Plenty of his songs are quite emotional.emot-smile

Do you have any song suggestions? I've never listen to Adam Lambert so it would be a great help to know where to start. emot-keke

#11 | Back to Top05-20-2011 06:40:06 PM

RhythmFusion
Rose Smilee

"Whataya Want from Me" and "Sleepwalker" are good ones to start with.emot-keke

"But screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail." ~ Lady Macbeth; Macbeth - Act One, Scene 7
"Crying is such hypocrisy. How can happiness cause the same reaction as sadness? Does pleasure share the same edge of the blade of life as pain?" - What His Crimson Eyes Believe in: Ch. 2

#12 | Back to Top05-21-2011 09:05:56 AM

Gainel
Rose Bride

RhythmFusion wrote:

"Whataya Want from Me" and "Sleepwalker" are good ones to start with.emot-keke

I love those songs! emot-biggrin

#13 | Back to Top08-18-2011 12:38:27 AM

RhythmFusion
Rose Smilee

Have you ever heard of Lifescapes? It's a series of albums with a large variety of music, and many of those albums are purely music with no lyrics.

Last edited by RhythmFusion (08-18-2011 12:31:38 PM)

#14 | Back to Top08-18-2011 04:25:32 AM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

Hm.  I'd recommend checking out Emilie Autumn's Laced/Unlaced albulm.  All instrumental power violin songs.  Excellent, excellent musician, too.

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

#15 | Back to Top08-18-2011 08:24:02 AM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

Bah, why have I not connected Emilie Autumn and SKU in my head before?

#16 | Back to Top08-20-2011 06:30:21 AM

wblstudios
Banned

One time when I was looking up info on what happened to Souji Mikage, I came across a little fan-made Utena analysis page.  The page on Mikage was VERY short, but it did include lyrics to a song called "World Leader Pretend" by R.E.M.  It kinda fit.

#17 | Back to Top08-21-2011 04:50:16 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

One thing that I think would be well done in an AMV but would be hard to find a good song to, would be an AMV about the damage that is done by the extraordinarily damaged relationships in Utena, particularly the incestuous ones without it being too obvious.

A nice choice for such a video I think would be Uncle Salty by Aerosmith... which is about a case of incest, but more implied than stated and the results on the one who did it. There are different sections with different tempos and the lyrics can be set aside at points to make the video the focus.

Ooh, it's a sunny day outside my window...

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#18 | Back to Top10-26-2011 03:02:47 PM

wblstudios
Banned

Gnarls Barkley: Transformer (Live from Abbey Road)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPzohswI5Tc

I recently found a smoothed-out, mroe maudlin version of this song.  It's actually a bit sad.  And if you listen to it carefully, the song really is about Anthy... about how she has to change who she is as the Rose Bride to become more acceptable to her Champion, and change who she is for Akio.

Lyrics are as follows...

I, I, I, I, I, I know how to transform
I can transform, I'll transform
I'm a transformer
I'm a transformer

I'm just being myself
Plus I gotta be me too
Silly of me to think that
I couldn't bring myself to be you

Ah, but behold there is benevolence
Behind this but don't stare though
Be careful 'cause I'll kill you
With kindness

That why I'm dressed quite neatly
'Cause it's easy and discreetly they seek me
And when they reach me and see me
They believe me completely

I'm a real live wire
If it's between me and you
I can transform, I can transform, I can transform
Without even trying

I'm a transformer

I'm a transformer

Now I'm someone else
Now someone can be me too
Behold 'The Beautiful and Bold'
Everyday I wake up to be new

Oh, but it's simple but they still can understand why
I think I can, I think I can, I think I can or can I

I'm a microchip off the old block
You know not but I was a robot
And I sold Rock and you would get
For sho' shoot with a gold glock boy I rode pac

Something that you won't see again
What the hell might as well be a friend
I can transform, I'm a transformer
No telling who I will have to be again

I'm a transformer
I'm a transformer

#19 | Back to Top01-20-2012 06:30:57 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

An AMV for Foo Fighter's "Best of You".

Let me preface this by saying that this specific AMV is amazeballs from a technical standpoint. The editing and pacing are mindblowing.

HOWEVER...

I want an Utena version. More like NEED. Character focus is left to your discretion. If you'd like to use other anime, feel free, but I'd like to limit it to 5 since the video above uses 120 different anime.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#20 | Back to Top01-20-2012 07:54:59 PM

Atomic Lightbulb
Miki Molester
Website

First off, thank you to everyone who answer this thread! It was very kind of all of you. etc-love I did lose the contest - but honestly my submission wasn't that good. But again, thank you for all the responses.

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Let me preface this by saying that this specific AMV is amazeballs from a technical standpoint. The editing and pacing are mindblowing.

HOWEVER...

I want an Utena version. More like NEED. Character focus is left to your discretion. If you'd like to use other anime, feel free, but I'd like to limit it to 5 since the video above uses 120 different anime.

I've seen that video rec everywhere, but I've never actually sat down and watched it because I have a weird aversion to the Foo Fighters. But wow! Not only was the video amazing, but I'm super inspired to make an Utena video for it now. (It is looking to be a series tribute at the moment, with emphasis on Utena and Anthy, but that could change.) I don't know how long it will take - but thanks for the brilliant idea! I'll do my best to make a good video for you!

#21 | Back to Top01-20-2012 10:41:46 PM

KashiraTalkRadio
New Student

Normally I would keep my ideas to myself, but I'm working on a Madoka AMV right now, so I'll let this one go: "Drive My Car." It seems like a novelty MV, but with enough skill someone could make it really good.

#22 | Back to Top01-21-2012 10:58:52 AM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Atomic Lightbulb wrote:

Raven Nightshade wrote:

I want an Utena version. More like NEED.

I've seen that video rec everywhere, but I've never actually sat down and watched it because I have a weird aversion to the Foo Fighters. But wow! Not only was the video amazing, but I'm super inspired to make an Utena video for it now. (It is looking to be a series tribute at the moment, with emphasis on Utena and Anthy, but that could change.) I don't know how long it will take - but thanks for the brilliant idea! I'll do my best to make a good video for you!

The whole idea actually came about because the song suddenly got stuck in my head for about an hour prior to that post. I wound watching the original video and 3 AMVs: the one posted above, a Naruto AMV focusing on Rock Lee(who I think is the wrong character for that song), and a Trigun AMV with a Wolfwood/Vash focus.

TL;DR You're awesome for doing this, and I can't wait to see it.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#23 | Back to Top01-21-2012 01:37:08 PM

thothptah
Ohtori Paramouri

I think the song "Reena" by Sonic Youth would make an awesome Utena AMV. The AMV could be from Utena's perspective, with the "you" of the song being Dios and the friend being Anthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtWU_X_61A8

Lyrics:

You keep me comin home again

When you were gone, I met a friend
She taught me how to live in the end

Are her eyes brown or blue?
How does she keep her static cool
My heart and soul are rocked up in her eyes
A little blink ya I recognize
A little blink, yea, that's my prize
A white horse sittin right there by her side
Hard to ignore
Hard to disguise
Will she ever realize

When you were gone
I was out of my mind
I had a friend who laughed all the time
I had a friend who cried all the time
I had a friend who screamed all the time
I had a friend who lied all the time

#24 | Back to Top01-21-2012 02:38:59 PM

Gainel
Rose Bride

I actually have another suggestion: How about Kill Your Heroes by AWOLNATION?

I say you kill your heroes and fly, fly, baby don't cry.
No need to worry worry 'cause everybody will die.
Every day we just go, go, baby don't go.
Don't you worry, we love you more than you know.

Board footer