This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top05-23-2007 12:28:46 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Are you a commie bastard?

Stormcrow wrote:

Don't you worry that Akio might have a stagnating effect on the country?  You know, sort of a status quo kind of guy?emot-wink

What we need now is a head bobbing up and down behind the podium during the State of the Union address.

(...seriously.)

Stormcrow wrote:

To me, freedom means personal freedom.

Amen. That's an issue that needs to be addressed in a major way on the political stage, but I don't really think it will be this time. This is going to be about Iraq. Unless Obama really opens up there, he's going to drown. My problem with him is he seems to me too polished, too knows he's taking advantage of a good situation. I want to hear more about what he has to say. I've heard the green thing. That's all well and good but he won't win the election on it. Saying 'I'm for clean energy' isn't how you win elections right now. Say 'I'm against oil companies and obscene gas prices'. It's the same thing in action, but far more fetching to our ears. Especially right now.

Edit: At the same time, I wish it wasn't necessary for me to say that. emot-frown

Last edited by Giovanna (05-23-2007 12:35:11 PM)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#27 | Back to Top05-23-2007 12:45:48 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

angelicreation wrote:

What?  Am I the furthest right out of all of us?  Granted, I am a Republican, but I'm the good kind of Republican - no religion rules my politics.  I figured being an Utena forum, we'd be populated with mostly left, but still.  I thought there'd at least be one person further right than me.  Dude, the closest one of you to me is Yasha.  Murr.

No need to worry emot-smile  Here's me: http://www.politicalcompass.org/printab … ;soc=-5.18

I think my results were influenced by a conscious desire to stick it to the guys making the test, though; the slant was pretty obvious, and I overcompensated.  Not that they're totally inaccurate.  I identify more with traditional conservatives than with modern liberals, and I am very pro-liberty.  I like the Democrats more than the Republicans, though, merely because of what the Republicans have become.

2008... harumph.  I'm following that stuff pretty closely, and I still haven't found a candidate I really want to get behind.  Clinton can be very pro-censorship, and she inspires this primitive "RUN AWAY!!!" response in me that I don't fully understand.  I really like the pit-bull quote on Giuliani; I just don't trust that guy with my civil liberties.  McCain, sadly, has been blowing with the political winds in a way ill-befitting someone who claims to be an independent-minded moderate; I have no idea what he believes anymore.  Obama is probably my favorite of the top four right now, simply because I don't have any reason not to like him, and his very limited track record has been good.

I would like to see New York mayor Michael Bloomberg run as an independent.  He's a Republican who's managed to keep a strong and conscientious record on civil rights and the like.  He's also a billionaire, which is the criterion you have to meet to be a credible third-party candidate in America.  I want to know more about what this guy believes.

#28 | Back to Top05-23-2007 01:06:40 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Clinton can be very pro-censorship, and she inspires this primitive "RUN AWAY!!!" response in me that I don't fully understand.

Quoted for let me run away with you. emot-gonk It is hard to put down, but I think she gives off this vibe of being a nightmare mother figure.

satyreyes wrote:

I would like to see New York mayor Michael Bloomberg run as an independent.  He's a Republican who's managed to keep a strong and conscientious record on civil rights and the like.  He's also a billionaire, which is the criterion you have to meet to be a credible third-party candidate in America.  I want to know more about what this guy believes.

I'm not too up on his civil rights record, but I can tell you New Yorkers have been bitching about him for years. emot-keke (Then again...they always do.) But that does bring up, if we're looking at the political climate as possibly ready for a black or female president, are we also maybe going to see a stronger third party presence this time? Because I would really, really like that. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#29 | Back to Top05-23-2007 02:20:59 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I'd be impressed if independents do more than win one or two congressional seats.  The two established political parties are very strong, and most voters aren't interested in doing the research on other parties/platforms.  Yes/no, good/evil, us/them are all easier and more comfortable than the three dozen party coalition governments that are popular in parliamentary systems.  This may change in the next twenty years as media are transformed by the internet...or maybe not.  Not this soon, anyway.  For the last few years, I was getting worried that we'd become a one-party state, so having two viable parties is a big improvement.  One thing that this administration has taught me is that it is not good for one party to control every branch of government, no matter who they are.  Nobody is that trustworthy, and I don't really want my government to be that efficient, no matter what policy is being pursued.

EDIT:  Senator Clinton is too transparently ambitious, without giving enough of an idea of what she'll actually do with the power once she has it in her hands.  I'm inclined to think she'd make a good president, she's hard-nosed and a tough negotiator, but it'll never happen, because she's got no charisma.  Clinton and Giuliani are the two front runners last I checked, which makes Giuliani a shoe-in.  Maybe after we have an Italian president, we can do away with Columbus day?  It'd be worth it.

Last edited by Stormcrow (05-23-2007 02:24:04 PM)

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#30 | Back to Top05-23-2007 03:56:47 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I blame my results on my "punish the criminals, tax the rich, and leave us alone" doctrine.

So...I think I might be a communist.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#31 | Back to Top05-23-2007 04:39:11 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I really, really need to research the candidates for the 2008 presidential election. emot-frown Does anyone know of any good un-biased websites? *hopeful*

I don't know much about politics, but I really don't like how the U.S. presidential elections are set up. It's usually one guy who's Republican and one guy who's Democrat, and nothing really moderate. All the Independent or moderate guys don't get much media exposure so no one really votes for them. And then very few of the candidates ever tell you what they want to do because they want to be vague to make as many people see what they want in them, and vote for them.. emot-mad

#32 | Back to Top05-23-2007 04:51:58 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Aparrently, I am somewhere between Gandi and Hitler in my beliefs.

#33 | Back to Top05-23-2007 05:43:09 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I think I took one of these before, but I finally found time to take it again, so here's where I am.

Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.69

A left-leaning libertarian. cool

Not news to me is that fact that I'm a blue-blooded liberal. emot-wink  I have no declared party on my voter registration, though.

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

I really, really need to research the candidates for the 2008 presidential election. emot-frown Does anyone know of any good un-biased websites? *hopeful*

Have you tried factcheck.org?

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (05-23-2007 05:50:41 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#34 | Back to Top05-23-2007 07:49:42 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

I think you're being a bit naive, angelic one.

I'm not naive.  I'm idealistic.  There is a difference.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#35 | Back to Top05-23-2007 08:13:04 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

I'd be impressed if independents do more than win one or two congressional seats.  The two established political parties are very strong, and most voters aren't interested in doing the research on other parties/platforms.  Yes/no, good/evil, us/them are all easier and more comfortable than the three dozen party coalition governments that are popular in parliamentary systems.  This may change in the next twenty years as media are transformed by the internet...or maybe not.  Not this soon, anyway.  For the last few years, I was getting worried that we'd become a one-party state, so having two viable parties is a big improvement.  One thing that this administration has taught me is that it is not good for one party to control every branch of government, no matter who they are.  Nobody is that trustworthy, and I don't really want my government to be that efficient, no matter what policy is being pursued.

It's true that running as an independent is very tough in America, but a huge part of the reason for that is that the Dems and Reps have monster fundraising machines.  The right candidate (i.e. someone already filthy rich) could sidestep that, and even get free media attention for their cheek.  (Remember, Perot got 19% as recently as 1992.)  Ballot access wouldn't be an obstacle either with Bloomberg's kind of money backing the access drive.  Most importantly, an awful lot of Republicans dislike the Republican Party right now, and would look carefully at a GOP-aligned independent who promised a return to traditional small-government conservatism.  Meanwhile, there aren't a whole lot of Democrats who actually love the Democratic Party; mostly, they just hate the Republicans, and align themselves with the opposition.  Bloomberg is liberal-minded, especially for a Republican -- pro-abortion, pro-gay marriage, pro-gun control.  He would win a lot of votes from both aisles.

I totally agree with you about one-party control of government.  The Framers were very smart people to make it this hard to get anything done in Washington, and I'd hate to see all their work undone because one party couldn't get its act together.  (I'm not sure which party that would be at this point.  I'm not sure what the Democrats stand for, and based on the behavior of their leaders, I'm pretty sure the Republicans don't stand for anything.)

/overly bitter

Last edited by satyreyes (05-23-2007 09:00:49 PM)

#36 | Back to Top05-23-2007 11:12:16 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

angelicreation wrote:

Stormcrow wrote:

I think you're being a bit naive, angelic one.

I'm not naive.  I'm idealistic.  There is a difference.

Fair enough, I stand corrected.  I'd like to see a genuine conservative candidate, but I don't see anybody from where I'm standing, and I'm standing in Kansas...emot-frown

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#37 | Back to Top05-24-2007 08:10:40 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

EDIT:  Senator Clinton is too transparently ambitious, without giving enough of an idea of what she'll actually do with the power once she has it in her hands.  I'm inclined to think she'd make a good president, she's hard-nosed and a tough negotiator, but it'll never happen, because she's got no charisma.

I think in our hearts, a lot of us wish Hillary was actually Bill in a woman suit (made from real women), and this was all an elaborate trick to get him back in office.

But even in disguise, there's no way he could be that completely unlikeable. emot-frown

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

I need to be doing my research too, I was thinking of maybe making a thread of it, since posting about the candidates will force me to do my homework. emot-smile In the meantime, seconding factcheck.org.

satyreyes wrote:

It's true that running as an independent is very tough in America, but a huge part of the reason for that is that the Dems and Reps have monster fundraising machines.  The right candidate (i.e. someone already filthy rich) could sidestep that, and even get free media attention for their cheek.  (Remember, Perot got 19% as recently as 1992.)  Ballot access wouldn't be an obstacle either with Bloomberg's kind of money backing the access drive.  Most importantly, an awful lot of Republicans dislike the Republican Party right now, and would look carefully at a GOP-aligned independent who promised a return to traditional small-government conservatism.  Meanwhile, there aren't a whole lot of Democrats who actually love the Democratic Party; mostly, they just hate the Republicans, and align themselves with the opposition.  Bloomberg is liberal-minded, especially for a Republican -- pro-abortion, pro-gay marriage, pro-gun control.  He would win a lot of votes from both aisles.

My dad voted for Perot. emot-keke

I agree though that it's near pointless for independent candidates to run, but if ever the conditions were going to be favorable... Like you said, a lot of people are just fed up with both Republicans and Democrats. The problem with an independent candidate is a lot of people won't vote for them even if that's who they really want, because they know it's throwing out a vote needed to elect the lesser demon of the major parties. (RAWR NADER LOST GORE THE ELECTION RAWR) At this point I'm wondering if both aisles are going to offer up such uninspiring candidates that no one registers one of them as the lesser demon worth voting for. I doubt an independent will win, but someone should be able to make a mark that'll remind us there are other options. I'd just love to see a good Libertarian candidate.

#38 | Back to Top05-27-2007 09:18:37 PM

Pallas Athena
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

I'm definitely not showing my love for the Democratic Party, which seems to take the "black" vote for granted, and blacks do have this "blind" loyalty to the party in the first place. In short I really...RULLY hate it when people say things around me like..I think we'll have our "first" black president in 08, assuming that since I am black myself, I must be "down" for my peoples or the Democratic Party at that.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/logophony/dollshouse.jpg

Board footer