This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-02-2010 03:53:38 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Vanity Fair has 0 minorities in new photoshoot about "Young Hollywood"

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/v … ty-578862/

Yup we minorities just don't fit in this new Hollywood world...  emot-rofl

I usually don't care about these kind of things, but it feels like this time they went out of their way to have no dark skinned individuals at all.

Last edited by chrisb (02-02-2010 03:54:52 PM)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#2 | Back to Top02-02-2010 06:45:16 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

Re: Vanity Fair has 0 minorities in new photoshoot about "Young Hollywood"

I'm not so sure how I personally feel about this... It seems like a win-win for vanity fair... on one side the magazine targets it's core audience, and the zine is bought for reg. entertainment/news reasons. On the other, if a big deal is made out of it then people might pick it up for that and possibly like it... and then the already obscenely popular mag will have even more buyers...

I don't really care much about Vanity Fair... I guess I'm just uncool. I do, however get why it could be such a big thing... There are plenty of Magazines that opt out of diversity, either because it barely exists in it's genre or because the mag is more homogeneous and it's core audience didn't pick up the magazine for any other reason...

...I like (...)'s ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#3 | Back to Top02-02-2010 09:38:28 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Even as a white woman myself, seeing stuff like this just.. I don't know.. makes me cringe. Sometimes when I walk into a room completely of all white people I feel a little uncomfortable and think "too many white people." It's usually places deemed "classy," or my old dentist's office that was probably geared toward white, upper-class clients. I'm just used to areas of more diversity, such as school.

Looking at these covers gives me the same kind of feeling. It looks so intentional. Especially seeing as how they're all wearing white or pastel, light clothing.. which is not criminalizing by itself (I wore all white today) but considering the lack of racial diversity it makes me wonder if that was intentional.

Just.. ugh.. emot-gonk I have to bring this up in my Race and Ethnics class tomorrow. We were just talking about media. "As a white person, I can fully expect that my race will be well-represented when I open up a magazine or turn on the TV." Yep... pretty much. But what about people that aren't white? Numerically, at least in the USA, white people aren't that much of a majority. (But majority/minority groups aren't just about numbers..)

#4 | Back to Top02-02-2010 09:51:58 PM

lazypirates
Anthy Assailer

I especially found it interesting after reading the article and being reminded of some of the women of color who belonged there--honestly, a list like this that doesn't include Gabourey Sidibe, who took the world by storm in her first film ever, or Zoe Saldana, who was in two of the biggest films of the year, is just ridiculous. I adore some of the actresses on this list, but some of them just don't fit the premise as well as Gabby or Zoe (Evan Rachel Wood, for instance, is fabulous, but she's been A-list since 2003 with Thirteen). I don't think it's the worst idea in the world to give the benefit of the doubt in situations like these (sometimes things just happen how they happen--sometimes you have all men, or all white people, or no white people, or whatever ) but a list with such obvious exclusions, well, I think it's only fair to call shenanigans.

#5 | Back to Top02-02-2010 10:06:54 PM

Setsuna
Tragedian

My issue is that I personally haven't seen much to reckon these actresses as our "New Hollywood". http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/fea … rls-201003 Kirsten Stewart is breaking a mold? Ahem, she plays the worst Mary Sue of them all. Sure was okay in Into the Wild and Panic Room, but neither were substantial enough to prove to me that she's truly different then most 19 year old actresses of today. She's not the worst actress out there, but to suggest she is one of the new faces shaping Hollywood is a grim prediction for me. >>
I can't really place many of the other faces besides Amanda Seyfried( never seen a movie with her), Emma Stone, and Evan Rachel Wood (Personally like, but I understand why one wouldn't.)

And once again, I guess the word faces here is key. All of these are conventional beauty. I would've liked to see Gabourey Sidibe, Saoirse Ronan, or Ellen Page on there..

#6 | Back to Top02-02-2010 10:57:51 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

By the same token, ethnic rainbows for the sake of them drive me nuts. Like at FIU the banners rotate from white, black, asian, hispanic, and repeats over. Yeah guys. Whatever.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top02-03-2010 11:16:43 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Setsuna wrote:

Kirsten Stewart is breaking a mold? ..

argh

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#8 | Back to Top02-03-2010 02:39:47 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Giovanna wrote:

By the same token, ethnic rainbows for the sake of them drive me nuts. Like at FIU the banners rotate from white, black, asian, hispanic, and repeats over. Yeah guys. Whatever.

I will second this.

Honestly, I would have never noticed. I would notice that the women ARE freakishly white though, and the shoots probably wouldn't be as OMG MAGICAL if they weren't all white, but it would never occur to me that its racist, because, seriously, I don't think I've ever seen that many white people together at once. (I know ONE person that white, and I live with her.) Nor do I keep a checklist on how many people of ___ ethnicity appear in everything.

But I do come from a land where everyone wants to be Eva Longoria.
In fact, I should open a tanning studio.

Who exactly is this magazine catered to? I don't think I've ever seen anyone reading it... emot-confused

#9 | Back to Top02-03-2010 03:59:50 PM

Aya
Unfulfilled Juror

It really wasn't intersting to look at. I need contrast, damn it, and even the background they were on was white!
Well, pale colored, but that's white enough for me.

Yes, I did it because I was bored. So?

#10 | Back to Top02-03-2010 05:39:38 PM

halleftw
Saionji Slapper

allegoriest wrote:

Who exactly is this magazine catered to? I don't think I've ever seen anyone reading it... emot-confused

I think its target audience is generally wealthy, older, and white. My house has a subscription because of one of those credit-card points things. There are a lot of articles about wall street, American culture (from, IMO, a very elitist point of view), monthly "vanities" about up-and-coming actors/actresses, etc.

#11 | Back to Top02-04-2010 03:14:10 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

I don't care to who this magazine is catered to. It's not like the wealthy, older and white readers will go blind if they see one black or Asian actress thrown in between all the white. emot-rolleyes Excluding actresses who do deserve to be on the list, but weren't white enough for their vision, is called discrimination. Or bad taste. Or catering to a certain audience. Or some other glossy phrase.

#12 | Back to Top02-04-2010 04:57:13 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Whence "The Last Airbender", directed by M. Night Shamalamadingdong

#13 | Back to Top02-09-2010 05:57:34 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Arki wrote:

I don't care to who this magazine is catered to. It's not like the wealthy, older and white readers will go blind if they see one black or Asian actress thrown in between all the white. emot-rolleyes Excluding actresses who do deserve to be on the list, but weren't white enough for their vision, is called discrimination. Or bad taste. Or catering to a certain audience. Or some other glossy phrase.

Quoted for truth. However, I am not shocked by this at all. Vanity Fair rarely puts any minorities on their covers. Also at the same time it's kind of obvious that better actresses regardless of skin color were passed over. I get annoyed by the lack of representation, yet I don't look to mags like VF to be all that interested in any kind of diversity, even with the women they picked, it was a certain look.

Last edited by lex (02-09-2010 06:25:28 PM)

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#14 | Back to Top02-10-2010 10:24:48 AM

moroschino
Black Rosarian
Website

lazypirates wrote:

or Zoe Saldana

Zoe was on their Young Hollywood Cover in 2008, though I don't remember reading about her in the article. It was an odd cover, making some of my favorites look gorgeous and some of them completely ill at ease (poor Emily Blount looks drugged), but I can't imagine getting all those people to be perfect at once is easy. If they even shot them all at once. emot-rolleyes

Ellen Page is also on there.

ETA: not finished! What lex said

even with the women they picked, it was a certain look

seems absolutely true. The women on the cover of the recent issue aren't just white, they're uniformly pale. The leftmost blond looks slightly less like a vampire than everyone else. All the long hair is wavy, and they've made a triangle of the dark haired actresses.

Last edited by moroschino (02-10-2010 10:34:43 AM)

Funny how the smallest lie
might live a million times.

I Will Steal You Back, Jimmy Eat World

#15 | Back to Top02-11-2010 06:54:47 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

There's a lot of discussion on this at this site:

http://jezebel.com/5461571/young-hollyw … white-thin

There are a bunch more articles Jezebel discussing it.

Also, in general, the site is pretty awesome for feminist discussion.

20 threads dead so far.

#16 | Back to Top02-11-2010 07:05:00 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

That site is fantastic!! I love it there.

As for the racial issue in Vanity Fair... I'm completely apathetic. It's not like fashion is a proper reflection of what the real world is like. It's always been a fantasy, and a fickle one at that.

#17 | Back to Top02-15-2010 04:06:46 PM

Alexa
Anthy Assailer

Syora wrote:

As for the racial issue in Vanity Fair... I'm completely apathetic. It's not like fashion is a proper reflection of what the real world is like. It's always been a fantasy, and a fickle one at that.

Vanity Fair isn't exclusively a fashion magazine, though.  It's self-described as, a cultural catalyst that drives the popular dialogue globally and claims to cover world affairs to entertainment, business to fashion, crime to society.

I agree that tokenism is bad, because it still suggests that minorities and/or people of color are not being seen as human beings, but rather being used as a way to make sure a title, publication, or organization can be portrayed as "diverse" and "sensitive."  But their are plenty of non-white actresses in Hollywood doing popular, well-received movies.  Jezebel mentions a number of them in the article that hollow_rose linked.  And as much as I like, say, Amanda Seydried (and I do), how many good movies has she done in the past year?  Dear JohnJennifer's Body?!  Why was she chosen over Gabourey Sidibe?

I find it pretty shocking that no one looked over that photo shoot before the magazine went to press and rose any objections.

Last edited by Alexa (02-15-2010 04:07:22 PM)

#18 | Back to Top02-15-2010 06:19:16 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

i'd first like to note that even though twilight helps women let out their inner-teen... it isn't the best book ever written and the same goes for the movie... it wasn't the best thing since sliced bread. SO:

classifying Kirsten stewart as some wonderful actress begs for something more.... in twilight she was a life-less character who showed no emotion; granted her character isn't the extreme emotional type... but i'm sorry if my life-long-sparkly-vampire-lover told me he was going to leave... i would probably be a little more aggressive then she was.

I'm not gonna bash her completely; she looks similar to how i envisioned bella; but i'd like to see a better performance from her before i see her classified as a hit actress.

Secondly; the racial issue...

I've never liked vanity fair; so call me bias... but i've never really ...... cared....... about them.... but since this has been brought to my attention.... i feel that there are plenty of other actresses that deserve to be on the front of that magazine; black, white, green, brown or otherwise...

I'd have to ask though if the cover was intentional or just a promotional kind of thing? I'm not sure...

Magazine covers, articles, jobs, anything should never be based on color only on quality of performance and moral character. So, if they are goin to say they are all great new actresses.... i'd disagree and feel others should be placed up there..

/long winded discussion notes

#19 | Back to Top02-17-2010 01:50:48 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Alexa wrote:

Syora wrote:

Vanity Fair isn't exclusively a fashion magazine, though.  It's self-described as, a cultural catalyst that drives the popular dialogue globally and claims to cover world affairs to entertainment, business to fashion, crime to society.

I agree that tokenism is bad, because it still suggests that minorities and/or people of color are not being seen as human beings, but rather being used as a way to make sure a title, publication, or organization can be portrayed as "diverse" and "sensitive."  But their are plenty of non-white actresses in Hollywood doing popular, well-received movies.  Jezebel mentions a number of them in the article that hollow_rose linked.  And as much as I like, say, Amanda Seydried (and I do), how many good movies has she done in the past year?  Dear JohnJennifer's Body?!  Why was she chosen over Gabourey Sidibe?

I find it pretty shocking that no one looked over that photo shoot before the magazine went to press and rose any objections.

I think you bring up a lot of good points. Perhaps Vanity Fair is trivializing the issue, or maybe they're falling short on their mission statement, but I also hope that the person who didn't look over the cover is going to get fired or at the very least reprimanded.

Does anyone know if there has been any backlash to the issue and how many copies have been sold?

#20 | Back to Top02-17-2010 01:58:24 AM

Alexa
Anthy Assailer

Syora wrote:

Does anyone know if there has been any backlash to the issue and how many copies have been sold?

The story has obviously made its rounds in the independent blogger circles, but I know it got some coverage in "mainstream" media as well.  I saw something about it on Yahoo!'s main page, a few days ago.

#21 | Back to Top02-17-2010 11:11:09 AM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

The magazine, at first kept declining to comment. Then they gave in and commented to a tabloid mag, that they thought long and hard before coming up with their cover. Also, that the criteria for being on the cover was the movies that were filmed and etc.

It's also noteworthy to mention that Kristen Stewart had been featured on a previous "Young Hollywood" cover before for her roles in Twilight and the such. I find it funny that they managed to overlook the cast of Glee, especially considering that the show is a runaway success both critically and with fans.

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#22 | Back to Top03-15-2010 03:33:36 AM

minervana
High Tripper

If this was intentional, I wonder what the intention was. Somehow I don't think the editor, or art director, or whomever, is a white supremacist. And I find it hard to believe that they'd see a dip in sales if the cover featured a black or asian or hispanic woman. Fashion magazines feature non-Europeans on their covers all the time: Alek Wek, Kim Kardashian, Halle Berry, Iman, and so on.

I've heard, through people who work(ed) in advertising, that what people say they want and what they'll buy are two different things. E.g., people might say they want more diversity in advertisements, but when they see an ad that features a minority, they'll look at it for far less time than if it featured a white woman. It's not a conscious thing (babies do it too) but it does happen. If your firm is getting paid $X Million to come up with a stellar ad campaign, the client isn't paying you to express your creative side or advance the civil rights movement.

#23 | Back to Top03-25-2010 06:40:38 AM

Leroy
Eternal Castellan
Website

Forced diversity is the worst kind.

~ Dreaming of my Fire Flower ~

#24 | Back to Top03-25-2010 08:22:14 AM

Leroy
Eternal Castellan
Website

Do people whine and complain when there are no white people on the cover of Ebony or magazine?

Inquiring minds want to know!

~ Dreaming of my Fire Flower ~

Board footer